Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just Out of Interest...

RageonJonesy906

Now, I've had this question asked many times and I'm sure you have had to, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. As good as the brony fandom is, do we ever really feel embarrassed that we like this show which we hated bank in the day, infamous for its girliness and aimed for people over 4 times younger than us at the very least? This was actually one of the reasons I have up being a brony (needless to say I still enjoy watching it from time to time), the other being the... Not so nice parts of the fandom. I'm just wondering... Do you feel embarrassed liking this show? And if so, has it affected you?

PS: I do not mean to offend anyone in this topic if you think I am. Just curious.

I look forward to seeing what the MLPforums community say to this...

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

(edited)

Not at all I love the show for it's amazing animation, music, characters and art style. I don't feel embarrassed about liking it for those reasons

Edited by NightOwl

No I do not feel embarrassed about the fact that I like the show since its a sincere, fun, nice and pure show which makes me smile when its hard and gives me a good laugh. I see nothing wrong with liking a cartoon. mlp is awesome. I can't say the same about certain parts of community. some parts of fandom really frustrate me and bring my faith in humankind down. Also this fandom thought me one thing. Nothing is pure and beutiful in this world.. nothing. Im thinking about leaving the fandom, but there are few things that still keep me here. However eventually it will happen. And then Im just going to enjoy the show without calling myself brony.

My internet crashed and i don't feel like typing a wall of text again. So in short: NO. and thats all fine a charecter-wasting that you don't want to call yourself one. ( I think you should.) 

I don't think I ever hated the show, even when I was younger, but then again I'm pretty sure I ignored its existence. I'm not really embarrassed at all about liking it, I mean plenty do, and for good reason. Its a well thought out show will great character depth and good stories as well as good morals to teach.  

I have not and will not be embarrassed because I watch and love the show. I am perfectly comfortable with myself and just laugh at the haters. A vast majority of the people who hate the fandom have no idea what they are talking about and are ignorant to the facts. They usually haven't even tried watching an episode or two without having a predetermined mindset. Whenever I call them out on it they just stop talking and move along.

I have just recently became a brony. I have been having a rough time the past two years and i never realized how depressed i was untill i found mlp. It really helped me start to dig myself out of the pit. So ya i think this is the best fandom in the universe.

• Brohoof 1

I never hated it. Actually, I was so open minded that I was okay with hearing about bronies for the first time back in late 2011. That was finally the reason why I watched all the episodes 1 to 64 in order at one weekend! I thought, that something with such a dedicated fandom has to be something. And I was not disappointed.

Now no one that I know, knows that I'm a brony. But what I often feel in relation to other subjects is a shame for those who live in their antiquated morals and social role concepts. They think they know what manly is, what is adequate... but they know nothing.

I have to say that I fear their eventual hate. But then I tell myself, that it is not me who feels the need to be oppressive.

I may be embarrassed the day, someone knows, that I like this show so much, but since most people I am closer with are merely open minded, I think shame won't be an ongoing thing.

And embarrassing parts of the fandom? Doesn't each fandom have them? Accept them or ignore them.

no, being a brony isn't anything to be embarrassed about, just because the target demographic is for young girls doesn't mean that people well above that age or even of the opposite gender cant watch it without being embarrassed. 

I do some acting on the side. If you get embarrassed easily, acting is not for you.

Nervous, sure. But not *embarrassed*. You just can't be self-conscious on stage or you've already blown it.

Hm, not really. It's not the first thing I would bring up about myself but if someone asked if I watched it I wouldn't hesitate to say I did. I'm also not embarrased to buy pony merch when I want to so there's that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

No I'm not embarrased for liking the show and honestly I have never hated it either. The thing is, I knew about the toys back in the day and that was sort of it. I didn't actually know it had a show untill rather late. I thought it was just the toys, I'm talking about when I was at a very young age. Actually the thing is, I enjoy a lot of cartoons. I was watching a lot of cartoons at that time and I never really got judged for that. Even though I was just sitting on my ass all day watching kids shows, I mean I would sometimes even watch Dora the Explorer and yes, yelling obvious answers at the tv. Is that normal, yes it's completely normal since Dora can be fun, if you make it fun. (By yelling at the tv).

My little pony on the other hand is quality work, I am proud that I watch the show. I do not yell it outloud, but I do not feel embarassed for watching it. Because I am being just who I am and being who I am is fun. I'm also proud of being a brony, not because we are doing something controversial. No because I am a part of a loving, friendly and a nice community. A community that accepts anyone, a community that's just overall really nice. I could say stuff like, music, art and all that stuff.. I'm proud of every aspect of the fandom.

So, no I'm proud of being a brony and it also plays a big part in my life. I love the fandom.

Little reminder!

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Nah-i've always liked cartoons anyway, plus I'm an old punk rocker from back in the day. Non conformist to the core. 

It's foolish to say that I don't care what others think of me-we all care to a certain extent-but it doesn't affect me like it seems to affect others. So, if someone is going to dislike me for a show I watch, they're probably not anyone I want anything to do with anyway.

• Brohoof 2

Nope, been a fan since I was a child in the 80's Was not a fan of the G3 lineup and was so relived and happy to see the G4 refreshing cleanup, return to more what I remeber as a child being what I feel MLP truely Is.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, not really. I can fully understand why other would get embarrased, with the stigma attached to My Little Pony and all that, but I just don't really care.

(edited)

No, I am never embarrassed about being a pegasister. I am not embarrassed about any of my interests. I openly embrace my interests, and share them with others. I simply wish to be "me" at all times of the day. Ponies, Anime/manga, every interest I have is a small part of what makes me "me".

So because I am proud of the person I am, I proudly express my interests when appropriate. I don't like to shove it in people's faces, but if i am asked what are my interests, or favorite pass times; you are going to find out what they are.

Edited by Hayze
  • Brohoof 3

I find that the older you get, the less and less you care about what people think about you: not in the way you do as a teenager, but genuinely. You're through with feeling overly self-conscious or scrutinized for your interests, and you become more open with the things you love.

If you can't be free to enjoy and do the things you love, then when will you be able too? :)

I love My Little Pony, and I'm not gonna let anyone opinion dishearten me from it. That is giving up your beliefs for some one elses in the most radical case. 

I'm not for that, not at all. If anyone has a problem with it, that's on them. The other firefighters at the station know I watch My Little Pony, and even though they tease me for it every now and then, it's nothing that affects our relationships as brothers/sisters. I won't give up something I love for someone elses shallow belief. 

Do I feel embarrassed by this show? Well I'm 18 watching a show for 4 year old girls, so yeah just a little. Hasn't really effected me, other than keeping me a closet brony.

No I pretty much keep this to myself outside the forum.

Only a select few know and that's kind of the way I like it. No one really needs to know and I don't need to flaunt it. I learned that the hard way while with the Furs

If I were around other bronys then I would talk about them more openly but outside of that, its no ones business but my own

I'm one of those people who think nothing of peoples opinions of me Because I know that in the long run I am going to be much more successful than them.

So no I am not embarrassed to like My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic, and I wear the name loud and proud

(edited)

I am kinda embarrassed liking the show but I am not gonna go to school and yell "I watch MLP and I am proud of it!!" If someone asks me I'll tell them I watch it. I have some pony pics of a mgs crossover on my desktop and no one cares. I am still a closet brony (I hate the word closet brony) but if word comes out then I'll just say I enjoy it, no big deal.

Edited by linkbro123

I'm not embarrassed in the slightest. Yet, I still speak defensively whenever I talk about MLP in person. Like, I'll intentionally speak in metaphors and whatnot that require interpretation to get the meaning of. Not entirely sure why. Maybe a vestigial defense mechanism? huh.png