Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Equestria Girls be a deconstruction?

Mand'alor Dash

Perhaps this is just a silly theory of mine, but what if Equestria Girls is actually setting out to deconstruct and critique the stereotypical high school drama nonsense, and not simply add to it, as we assume it will?

For those not in the loop, a deconstruction is a work that takes apart the common tropes and cliches of a genre, and (often sadistically) attacks their flaws. It differs from a parody in that it does not play these tropes up for laughs, instead opting for a more serious critique and a deeper exploration.

A good example of this would be the western film Unforgiven, which appeared on the surface to be a true blue wild spaghetti western, but delved deep into the genre's romanticization of violence over the course of its storyline.

Now we look at Equestria Girls. A film from a writing staff well known for subverting the status quo of childrens' programming, that is being marketed as if it were no different from its peers. This wouldn't even be the show's first foray into this sort of territory. The pilot episode was a pretty subtle rip at the candy bowl society depicted in previous generations, Return of Harmony was a very thoughtful critique on the show's core values, and the entire concept behind the character of Rarity speaks for itself.

FiM loves to deconstruct, and to deliver well thought-out themes of individuality, even though it's marketed no differently than any other girly show. Equestria Girls seems set up to do the exact same thing.

Think about that trailer we all hated. It sets up pretty much every bad high school cliche in the book, like bowling pins awaiting their heavy, spherical death. If this rings bells of Canterlot Wedding's uninteresting marketing campaign, prior to the dark twist that completely 180'd the episode into the hearts and minds of every brony there is, then guess what!

Both Canterlot Wedding and Equestria Girls were written by the oh-so talented Meghan McCarthy.

So, we've got a show known for challenging stereotypes at every turn, a marketing campaign that sets the stage perfectly for a savage critique, and a head writer known for making the darkest episodes in the show's history.

Methinks this movie is alot more than meets the eye.

• Brohoof 18

You talk sense, I sincerely hope that you're right. If you're wrong, I shall burn the Hasbro MArketing team, for coming up with such a horrifying film!

• Brohoof 4

What I would say here is 'perhaps'.

The only thing is, Studio B also writes Littlest Pet Shop. Which isn't bad. At all. It's rather enjoyable. But, it IS a basic highschool drama thingy. And I just don't like that, as well as a quite large percentage of the fandom.

Now, why do I bring that up? To simply show that Studio B may make it just a simple highschool drama, as they've made those for other shows in the past. I'm not saying it isn't going to have any magical elements in it, but I am saying that it might follow the same rules as the regular highschool dramas.

Though I hope you might be right, it could turn out either way. Seeing as the trailer is exactly too little information distributed in such a generic way that I really can't base an opinion on it.

It's quite possible, and I certainly hope so. Having it make fun of all those high school tropes and cliches would be perfect. It'd still entertain all the little girls, but it would give us shitloads of laughs along with it.

I think it's funny that everyone wants to judge the movie before seeing it. Well I dunno about you guys, but I think it's going to be well worth the money, especially if Meghan McCarthy had a hand in writing it.

I would love for this film to be a deconstruction of High School stereotypes. Especially if Twilight ends up learning about and using them to her advantage!

I don't have any confidence of this happening, but it would redeem the movie in my eyes.

Personally I think thats a great idea, but it is quite unlikely. I am guessing it is just something they can fill the gap of season 4. (But if it comes out after season 4, that will be a bummer...) but I think it is an all serious thing. It's a simple thing that can please young children and it is supposed to also be liked by us... (WHY YOU NO GIVE IT A CHANCE?!?!) :D

I think that a deconstruction tends to be a bit too cynical for something like My Little Pony.  I think that what's more likely is a *reconstruction*- that is, taking those flawed, broken, or overused tropes and fixing them.  MLP Didn't just expose the problems of typical entertainment meant for girls, but rather it took the criticisms and failings of the genre and repaired them, making for a much stronger work.  Rarity, for instance, is a reconstruction of the snobby fashionista- they took the Diamond Tiara rich bitch aspects of the character and modified it- you can be high class and vain, but that doesn't mean you can't be nice, too. 

But is this going to happen with EG?  No way to know for sure right now.  I'm leaning towards "no", but I wouldn't rule it out. 

• Brohoof 5

I think that a deconstruction tends to be a bit too cynical for something like My Little Pony.  I think that what's more likely is a *reconstruction*- that is, taking those flawed, broken, or overused tropes and fixing them.  MLP Didn't just expose the problems of typical entertainment meant for girls, but rather it took the criticisms and failings of the genre and repaired them, making for a much stronger work.  Rarity, for instance, is a reconstruction of the snobby fashionista- they took the Diamond Tiara rich bitch aspects of the character and modified it- you can be high class and vain, but that doesn't mean you can't be nice, too. 

But is this going to happen with EG?  No way to know for sure right now.  I'm leaning towards "no", but I wouldn't rule it out. 

This is a very good point. Friendship is Magic is, in essense, a reconstruction of the tropes that it is criticizing. Of this, you are correct.

However, it still does criticize these tropes, and contains many deconstructive elements.

For instance, I would argue against Rarity being a reconstruction, as the snobby fashionista stereotype is mostly used as a villainous or antagonistic character. Rarity deconstructs this by embodying many of the core elements of this character type, to the point that first time viewers confuse her with the stereotype itself, and yet is shown to be a compassionate, likable character underneath. She is turning the cliche on its head by demonstrating that a snobby fashionista need not be a bitch, or a villain. She is a statement about the absurdity of the archetype. She is deconstructing it.

A reconstruction of the archetype would have still been a bitch, just more believably so. Take the character of Twilight Sparkle, for example. She is more a reconstruction of the bookworm character type. They gave her believable flaws, quite a few friends, and a semi-extroverted personality. Yet, she still works to better herself and her studies, and she still tends to obsess uhhealthily over her education, which was a major element of the original character trope. Twilight, unlike Rarity, is not a critique of the archetype, she is a more believable reimagining of it.

I believe this difference is key, as it demonstrates that FiM is equally capable of both de and reconstruction, and that the writers know both how to attack and fix the cliches they tackle. Equestria Girls could very well be a reconstruction of the high school film, but it could just as easily be a deconstruction, or it could even be both. I simply doubt that it's going to play the cliches all straight, as the fandom assumes it will.

• Brohoof 2

@

Personally, I think I'll wait to actually see the full movie before I make any sort of judgement on whether it is a deconstruction of high school stereotypes, a reconstruction, or merely a continuation of the same sort of stuff we've seen hundreds of times before.

@

Personally, I think I'll wait to actually see the full movie before I make any sort of judgement on whether it is a deconstruction of high school stereotypes, a reconstruction, or merely a continuation of the same sort of stuff we've seen hundreds of times before.

As you should. ;)

Just throwing out a prediction. What it actually is, we'll know soon enough. Until then, there no harm being optimistic. :)

(edited)

That, I'd really hope to see.  After all, as you said, the show had a history of deconstructing girly tropes, from the pilot episode's criticisms of Gen Three's cutesiness, to Return of Harmony's criticisms of the show's own morals, and Canterlot Wedding turning what's supposed to be a cliched fairy-tale wedding into a battle against insectoid changelings.  I just hope Meghan McCarthy and her writing staff managed to keep up with that momentum with Equestria Girls, otherwise I will be disappointed.

I would also like the moral of the story to be this: It doesn't matter if Twilight turns into a human or that her friends' human-counterparts just look and act like her friends, but aren't the same as her friends.  In the end, what will matter to Twilight is that she befriends those five humans, and respect them for who they are and what they can do for Twilight, humanization and everything.  Sunset Shimmer -- the previous student of Princess Celestia who tried to retrieve the crown from the human world but stayed there as the stock mean-girl -- would try to challenge Twilight's acceptance of her humanization, namely by telling her that she's a pony and therefore would never belong with the humans.  Eventually, Twilight would rebuke that remark by mentioning that aforementioned moral she learned from her time as a human.

Plus, that moral would stay true to the themes and core essence of the original show, which had always been about looking past someone else's flaws and finding the inherent goodness within their hearts.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 2

The show hasn't been afraid to poke fun jabs at the franchise thus far (crazy face Pinkie anypony?), so I would expect a few deconstruction moments here and there at the very least as it fits the style of the show humor-wise.

Your prediction gives me hope for this film, but one thing still bothers me and even without seeing the movie I do feel as though I have enough information to address it now:

Equestria-Girls-Spinoff-my-little-pony-f

It's the oldest problem in shows marketed to young girls- the appearance of the humanized characters sets a particular standard. They all look too much alike. Their body types are all exactly the same with only their clothes causing minute differences in their figures. They all have the exact same legs and skinny arms and only their heads are different shapes. They're all wearing variations on the same outfit- high boots, short sleeves, and a SKIRT. Seriously, just look at Applejack. She would never wear that, she would wear her duds. Even Rainbow Dash is wearing a skirt over her shorts.

On the show it's okay for the characters to all have the exact same body type because on the show they are ponies. It doesn't send any messages about human bodies or acceptable clothing and style choices. I wish the EQG had some more variation in their design.

• Brohoof 2

You bring up a great point. I wonder if EQG will bring up how highschool girls can be mean, or popular girl/nerd? Will they change Twilight's character just to fit the movie? Also, there are sooooooooo many ways to play this movie, but consider that this show is made for the ages of 6-12. They might also make the movie that, and not Y-7.

(edited)

Your prediction gives me hope for this film, but one thing still bothers me and even without seeing the movie I do feel as though I have enough information to address it now:

img-1524238-1-Equestria-Girls-Spinoff-my

It's the oldest problem in shows marketed to young girls- the appearance of the humanized characters sets a particular standard. They all look too much alike. Their body types are all exactly the same with only their clothes causing minute differences in their figures. They all have the exact same legs and skinny arms and only their heads are different shapes. They're all wearing variations on the same outfit- high boots, short sleeves, and a SKIRT. Seriously, just look at Applejack. She would never wear that, she would wear her duds. Even Rainbow Dash is wearing a skirt over her shorts.

On the show it's okay for the characters to all have the exact same body type because on the show they are ponies. It doesn't send any messages about human bodies or acceptable clothing and style choices. I wish the EQG had some more variation in their design.

I'm gonna blow my top. Again.

"AJ would never wear that".

AJ wears dresses, and has never worn male clothing at any point(and yes, both male shirts and PANTS exist). Likewise with RD, who has only ever worn "male" clothing when dressed for Karate- as that is an actual uniform.

Just because they are tomboys, that doesn't mean they will dress "unfeminine".

I mostly agree on the lack of variety, but the "RD and AJ wouldn't wear skirts" bugs me to no end, as it's more in character for them to do so than for them to wear pants-

Edited by RWB

I'm gonna blow my top. Again.

"AJ would never wear that".

AJ wears dresses, and has never worn male clothing at any point(and yes, both male shirts and PANTS exist). Likewise with RD, who has only ever worn "male" clothing when dressed for Karate- as that is an actual uniform.

Just because they are tomboys, that doesn't mean they will dress "unfeminine".

I mostly agree on the lack of variety, but the "RD and AJ wouldn't wear skirts" bugs me to no end, as it's more in character for them to do so than for them to wear pants-

It's not the fact that they are "tomboys" (a word of which I do not particularly approve, but that is for another post) that I think they wouldn't wear skirts as everyday clothing, it's their characters. In the trailer, RD is shown playing soccer in a skirt. Sports in a skirt? Does not compute. And I just can't see someone like AJ wearing a perfectly coordinated outfit like that. Remember what a mess she made of those dresses she tried to make in Magical Mystery Cure? Applejack would probably just roll out of bed in the morning and put on her cleanest dirty shirt, she doesn't care about appearances. The only time I have ever seen either of those two wear a dress is on very formal occasions like the Gala or the wedding. Or in Applejack's case, the frilly dress she had to wear on a dare in Look Before You Sleep, which she didn't even want to wear.

Applejack and Dash were to two I referenced, but frankly, I don't think Twilight would choose to wear a skirt every day either, as they aren't very practical.

(edited)

It's not the fact that they are "tomboys" (a word of which I do not particularly approve, but that is for another post) that I think they wouldn't wear skirts as everyday clothing, it's their characters. In the trailer, RD is shown playing soccer in a skirt. Sports in a skirt? Does not compute. And I just can't see someone like AJ wearing a perfectly coordinated outfit like that. Remember what a mess she made of those dresses she tried to make in Magical Mystery Cure? Applejack would probably just roll out of bed in the morning and put on her cleanest dirty shirt, she doesn't care about appearances. The only time I have ever seen either of those two wear a dress is on very formal occasions like the Gala or the wedding. Or in Applejack's case, the frilly dress she had to wear on a dare in Look Before You Sleep, which she didn't even want to wear.

Applejack and Dash were to two I referenced, but frankly, I don't think Twilight would choose to wear a skirt every day either, as they aren't very practical.

1. RD is wearing shorts under. Not really a big deal. Secondly, it's also a bit faulty as an argument:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11536897

2. I agree that AJ shouldn't be that fancy. I just thought she was involved in the skirt argument, which she might not have been. xD

3. Depends highly on the skirt. As a man who has actually worn them, I can say that short and wide skirts(like the ones seen in EG seem to be) are actually more practical than shorts, as long as they have pockets. Especially when you have wide thighs(which you get from explosive running, which is common in football/soccer, rugby and ice hockey, which are "my sports")  tongue.png

I know I would benefit a ton from wearing a skirt like that during my long walks around town.

Also, the Look before you sleep dress was purposefully over the top.

Also, please explain the problem you have with the notion of tomboy.

Edited by RWB

._. Well I can't see AJ or dashie wearing skirts. I would think that she would wear jeans or capris. RD would wear shorts etc. Tomboys can wear dresses, but it's not really their personality. Also what's the matter for tomboy? -_-

I think the issue with Applejack's outfit is that the artists couldn't decide between "farm girl stereotype" and "high school stereotype," so they made her both.

Rainbow, on the other hoof, looks like a weeaboo who watches way too much Rupony Kenshin. Not really the jock chick that we would imagine her to be.

(edited)

I think the issue with Applejack's outfit is that the artists couldn't decide between "farm girl stereotype" and "high school stereotype," so they made her both.

Rainbow, on the other hoof, looks like a weeaboo who watches way too much Rupony Kenshin. Not really the jock chick that we would imagine her to be.

There's literally no japanese look in RD's design. TS is the closest to looking "weaboo" with her "classic schoolgirl" outfit.

RD clothes:

-T-shirt with her CM. Reasonable.

-Jacket with short sleeves(likely a jeans jacket, but it's hard to tell). Pretty standard issue for people who wanna be cool... at least in Sweden. xD

-Armbands(likely sweatband). Reasonable.

-Rainbow-themed socks. Reasonable.

-An actual athlete skirt, as I found out. Meaning this one is a case of "Did their Research".

-Shorts under the skirt. Pretty common on active girls that don't want to accidentally flash someone during sports.

-Stylized sneaker boots(an actual thing). Not exactly a sports thing, but pretty reasonable casual shoes. The way they are stylized look weird, though. My only nitpick with the design. Also, this type of shoes is actually more common on males.

RD's outfit looks perfectly reasonable, and arguably is better fitted to the character than any of the others. The only odd thing about her is the fact that the colors are too many and clash...

But that makes sense once you consider what character this is.

Edited by RWB

There's literally no japanese look in RD's design. TS is the closest to looking "weaboo" with her "classic schoolgirl" outfit.

RD clothes:

-T-shirt with her CM. Reasonable.

-Jacket with short sleeves(likely a jeans jacket, but it's hard to tell). Pretty standard issue for people who wanna be cool... at least in Sweden. xD

-Armbands(likely sweatband). Reasonable.

-Rainbow-themed socks. Reasonable.

-An actual athlete skirt, as I found out. Meaning this one is a case of "Did their Research".

-Shorts under the skirt. Pretty common on active girls that don't want to accidentally flash someone during sports.

-Stylized sneaker boots(an actual thing). Not exactly a sports thing, but pretty reasonable casual shoes. The way they are stylized look weird, though. My only nitpick with the design. Also, this type of shoes is actually more common on males.

RD's outfit looks perfectly reasonable, and arguably is better fitted to the character than any of the others. The only odd thing about her is the fact that the colors are too many and clash...

But that makes sense once you consider what character this is.

Rainbow and Twilight both do, mainly due to their bright, nearly blinding color pallets. It's not the clothes themselves, just the fact that some artist thought every last article of clothing needed to be a damned neon light. That's why I say she looks Weeaboo. Not necessarily Japanese, just like she really, really thinks it is.

Well, the multitude of "neon" colors on RD kinda work considering her being RAINBOW Dash, in my opinion, but I can understand that not everyone agrees.

Well, the multitude of "neon" colors on RD kinda work considering her being RAINBOW Dash, in my opinion, but I can understand that not everyone agrees.

Well, if you look at her gala dress, for example, it was certainly colorful but not hapazardly so. The colors of the rainbow were put in order on her cape, and not just strewn about randomly.

Contrast this with her Equestria Girls attire, which has her in blue sneaker boots, rainbow-striped socks (we only see the first 3 colors), a purple skirt, black shorts, a white top, and a blue jacket. Not so much Rainbow Dash as Caught-in-a-freak-paint-factory-explosion Dash.

tumblr_ll2ewuxiqP1qj5x6fo1_500.png

To be fair, that dress was made by Rarity, and Rainbow Dash's own idea was a miltary uniform/dress thing... that was very haphazard(though perhaps not really EG haphazard):

h388Lre.png

To be fair, that dress was made by Rarity, and Rainbow Dash's own idea was a miltary uniform/dress thing... that was very haphazard(though perhaps not really EG haphazard):

I see your point. A ridiculous color pallete may be in-character for Dash. I still wouldn't call the design "good," but it does make sense in that context.