Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

rcollinz13

Using 'gay' as an insult/term, is equally stupid, ignorant, homophobic, politically incorrect, such as using 'retarded' as a insult/term to describe something.

It does irritate me, because most of the time it is used, is in extremely irrelevant cases. For example, classical music was playing, and one of my colleagues used that term.

"Dude is this classical music?"

"Yeah."

"Dude that music's fuckin' gay."

Once I hear that, I was immediately frustrated. (Although patience and temperment are very important, which I am aware, I'm sick of so many people using 'gay' as a general term.)

"How is classical music gay?

"Last time I checked, it wasn't gay or straight.

"By using simple logic, music cannot have a sexual orientation, so don't use gay as an insult to one of the bases for present music."

Specifically after being (and ending) of being labeled 'brony', I've heard the term 'gay' used various times as an insult towards me, but I disregard it. Because, according to present mentality, the less the facts, the stronger the opinion.

But once people start using it for even more irrelevant objects, I just can't stand it.

• Brohoof 1

Using the term Gay to describe a general and nebulous negative like "uncool" is about the height of ignorance, like saying that black people have an extra muscle in their legs. Seriously, we can move beyond this.

Instead of trying to stop a trend, just start a better one.

Challenge time!: Use "gay" as a synonym for "cool, awesome, something/one I want to aspire to", and make it obviously positive when you say it. When you get the obligatory "Do you mean (bluh bluh stupid thoughts bluh)", use it as an opportunity to explain why you said what you did. Gay is supposed to mean happy or cheerful anyway.

"Oh man, that track was SO GAY that I just can't stop singing it!" (I just hurt myself laughing... ow. hurting myself by laughing is funny! OH THE PAINFUL IRONY!) "Have you seen (movie you think is great)? Oh you gotta see it, it's totally gay. I've already seen it three times!" "The sun is shining, I woke up with a smile, I have the day off, and I'm going out with my friends. Today is going to be super gay!"

Gay only came to mean homosexual after homosexuals reclaimed the word the first time. (People had been using it to degrade homosexuals because it was then colloquially synonymous with "fabulous" as we know it.) Dumb people are wrong (because of being dumb), so do something about it!

Edited by DenialZombie
  • Brohoof 1

I just see it as an immature phrase that people who can't think of anything better to say use. Like most people who replied here, I believe it is very outdated and it no longer bothers me when I hear it. Being part of the LGBT community, I used to be very offended by it and took the time to educate people on why it was so terribly wrong to say. Now I roll my eyes and think they need a copy of a thesaurus to find better adjectives to use.

The word has lost all meaning so I see absolutely no reason to get upset over it.

When someone says, "Oh F**k", do you really think they mean "Oh Sexual Intercourse!"? No.

Words don't lose meaning. They just gain new meanings or take on multiple meanings, like "gay" did when it started referring to homosexuals.

I occasionally slip that word out. I'n not homophobic or anything. I do think that the word itself has kind of lost it's meaning because it has several different uses. Sorry for those who take offense to that. I try not to say that out loud.

Things offend me every day. No one makes it better, I just have to deal with it.

--In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor offense barely worth of notice. More importantly, it is never used as a slur, it means, "Thats lame." If it offends you, try to understand the context first...and then deal with it,

I'm far more offended by political correctness attempting to tell me what I should and should not say. Free Speech is more than speech we all agree on. It protects unpopular opinions as well. Free speech is a guaranteed freedom that demands tolerance from other free people. Free speech embraces diversity of thought and opinion...even ugly things are protected.

The phrase, "That's gay" is slang, and really ought to last no longer than, "Groovy." But the fake offense of the Politically Correct crowd has kept this alive years longer. The fact that this phrase is still alive after 10 years, is more a testament to rebellion against PC, than it is an offense directed at any particular group.

Guilt trips don't work on me. Sorry, but that just the way it is.

Edited by Silverhoof

As long as you aren't a dick about it you can say it all you want. Idk why people get so pissed off when people say it.

Just a person spurting out words.

• Brohoof 1

So I decided to meet my own challenge, and I actually started calling things "gay" when I meant "good, cool, fun" etc. My buddies thought it was hilarious, and they started doing it, too.

I'm so starting this trend. Take that, vernacular!

I personally usually find it more silly than anything. When someone insults me using a homophobic slur (which goes down more than it should), I just say, "So?" I can tell I've shocked a few people by saying such a thing in this homophobic town of mine.

Admittedly, once in a blue moon, I'll use the word 'faggot' to describe someone who annoys me beyond belief.

When people say "You're gay" I really take no offense from it, it has just become a normal internet thing to say and has no meaning to it anymore. I am a major LBGT person and I know for a fact that gay people don't take offense from it, some even say it.

Hell, even I say it sometimes and I have a freaking boyfriend, he says it as well and he says it a lot more often than I do.

So yeah that phrase means absolutely nothing anymore.

I believe this phrase has sort of "entered" the pop culture or however you wonna call it. It's like saying "That's Lame..." why can't people just say "That's lame..."? Well... force of habit really. I bet there are a ton of idiots out there that don't even know gay means happy... whatever... i don't care anymore. I support gay people with all my heart...

@, Yea but it might be a bit more serious if you call someone a pedophile than caling someone gay. Fag is also not cool... just because they exist for everyone it doesn't make it cool to just say them. Not one tiny weeny bit.

I personally do use this phrase. I am not gay however so it is a biased opinion that i would say it isn't offensive, but again, i wouldn't know. I personally think people should stop getting so worked up about this kind of think, its not going to go away any time soon, so why waste the time and energy getting upset about it. Also people can say whatever they want so with that in mind, they have every right to say and also this means why would they stop? Just my thoughts.

Gay has been used to replace words such as stupid or dumb which are kid words now. Saying something is retarded actually grinds my gears more, even though I've often been falsely accused of being gay. Saying gay is not okay though. It seems like teenagers lack an internal filter and can't just simply say "that's not the right thing to say."

For some reason, calling someone gay is just another hurtful insult. If anyone calls me gay I just laugh it off because it just goes to show that the person who threw the insult isn't aware that there is nothing wrong with being gay, therefore making the insult obsolete. Plus I know I am 20% cooler than them img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

Hey, its not just the teenagers who are saying that. When I was back in my years of Primary school people in my grade would still use the phase. Personally I just think its wrong to just say, ''Thats gay'' even though the person whom they are saying it to isn't exactly doing something gay. Its really annoying as well.

Whatever the phrase originally intended pretty much went away. A word is only as good as the speaker, at this point "that's gay" isn't used by the speaker with the intent of conveying "this is so terrible that it's actually homosexual" but rather "this is moronic, low quality, awful, counter-intutive to my values" etc.

I don't like thought and word police telling me what I should say. But I also don't say "that's gay" because I think it's dumb as hell. Same with "retarded." Anyone older than 15 who's still using these terms should probably consult a dictionary for better ways of expressing themselves. They have Webster's online now. Just saying.

• 2 months later...

Challenge time!: Use "gay" as a synonym for "cool, awesome, something/one I want to aspire to", and make it obviously positive when you say it. When you get the obligatory "Do you mean (bluh bluh stupid thoughts bluh)", use it as an opportunity to explain why you said what you did. Gay is supposed to mean happy or cheerful anyway.

this so needs to be a thing :)

I never say such. I always do a sort of triggered cough whenever I hear it said. It is so offensive, it really drives me insane. It offends me, because I am bisexual and quite attracted to men. (I am of the male sex), and many others. It is extremely derogatory.