Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Lifespans

DrOphthalmos

I'm going to bump this, so, sorry, but this is a good find.

First, personal find, Lauren Faust stated that the ponies reproduce "normally," meaning they do their thing and, I'm reading into this, have the same mating cycles as a normal equine. To balance it out and prevent exponential population growth they have to die at a rate to match the births, so it can be assumed they live something near the general equine age of 20-30.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/6699/pony-ages-in-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

http://duplexfields.deviantart.com/art/Age-Of-Ponies-Math-206406074

Based on these we can assume that the mane 6 are around 10, and they are of full working age, which is the human equivalent of what, 18, knowing they did not take college. So they were already in work before those ages, so we can assume about an absolute maximum age of around 50. I always took the mane 6 to be more about the human equivalent of 25, which would mean about 40 years old max, assuming people live to 100. Taking into account the reproductive cycles relating to the ages, and normal equines living to be about 20-30, I estimate that their age of death lies somewhere around 20-50, plausibly 30-40.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why you are saying that ponies would die so young and that Granny Smith is an exception. Granny Smith was a filly or young mare when Ponyville was founded. And Ponyville was founded hundreds of years ago. So, I'd imagine that the average earth pony will live to be about 500 years. We don't, however know how long Equestrian years are. Unicorns and pegasi are likely to live on average longer than earth ponies since (I think) many old Earth ponies have been shown, but only 1 old pegasi has been shown and 0 old unicorns. Keep in mind that there are many more earth ponies than pegasi and unicorns, though.

Thanks for the picture! Ha ha, she does look a lot like Granny Smith. I am surprised no one has done a Granny Smith version of the Mane 6.

Well, the hunt for an old unicorn continues...

Posted Image

Is that good?

Pony lifespans (except for the goddess princesses) seem to be like humans, if not longer. However, as baby's they seem more like horses, like the baby Cakes showed. Examples to support that is Granny Smith, and Chrysalis Cadance referring Pinkie Pie's wedding party to be a five year old's party.

For the different races, I assume that Earth Ponies and Unicorns live the longest, due to their races magic. Pegasi probably have a faster metabolism to be able to see all that action and live up in the clouds, so they live shorter (plus the increased chance of dying early from a tragic accident).

• Brohoof 1

For the different races, I assume that Earth Ponies and Unicorns live the longest, due to their races magic.

But Pegasi do have magic and we've seen them use it more than the Earth Ponies. They walk on clouds and their wings are way too small to lift them off the ground without some kind of outside force. Faust did state that the ponies mature mentally faster than humans but she never said anything about their life spans. Based on the fact that Granny Smith was around at the founding of Ponyville which had to have been a least a hundred years prior to the start of the series, I'm going to say they age at the same rate as humans, perhaps living longer due to their near utopian society.

We have very little to work from for conjecture in this regard, and the lack of information is intentional from the showmaker's perspective because of several scheduling and staging standpoints. For example, it is much easier to retain a continuity if ages are never stated.

This is why the only metrics we have is a deliniated "hour" in Hearts and Hooves Day, "15~20 seconds" in Fall Weather Friends and a single millenia in The Return of Harmony part 1 and Friendship is Magic part 1.

But Pegasi do have magic and we've seen them use it more than the Earth Ponies. They walk on clouds and their wings are way too small to lift them off the ground without some kind of outside force. Faust did state that the ponies mature mentally faster than humans but she never said anything about their life spans. Based on the fact that Granny Smith was around at the founding of Ponyville which had to have been a least a hundred years prior to the start of the series, I'm going to say they age at the same rate as humans, perhaps living longer due to their near utopian society.

I meant how their magic works, I know Pegasi have magic. Having a connection to the earth an being able to cast magic seem like they'd extend your lifespan, while breaking the laws of physics and making clouds solid not so much.

And I don't think that their technology level is at one that can extend lifespans.

Earth ponies live the shortest life-spans, then the Pegasi, then the Unicorns. It's all magic based. Earth ponies have the least amount of magic so they live for the shortest time. Pegasi have less then Unicorns, but more then Earth ponies so I'd say they live 2nd longest. Then the Unicorns, who are able to control their magic. They will live an extremely long time.

There's my theory.

Actually it is more where the magic is than how much there is. There are highly magical ponies of all types. The main difference is where it is focused. If it is focused near the head, unicorn. If it is focused near the rear -- earth. If it is focused in the middle, pegasus. Look at rainbow dash -- My feeling is that she has the most magic of any of the other pegasi in ponyville and probably second among all ponies to twilight -- that it is not simply pure athletics. Now Fluttershy is the interesting case. I see her magic as focused mainly around her eyes. It is my firm belief that this is why she can't fly all that fast. Her magic is NOT focused at her wings like most pegasus. If it were she would be able to hit that 10 on the flight meter but she wouldnt be able to deal with animals in the way she does.

I have noticed that the earth ponies get old and die. Granny Smith is one example of an elderly pony but in Hearts and Hooves Day we see an elderly earth pony (with a bubble pipe cutie mark, I thought that was funny) presiding over a funeral.

Then, you have the Alicorns who seem to stay youthful despite1000 years passing - I am guessing they are immortal.

Where do Pegasi and Unicorns fall in this spectrum? Have we seen any elderly pegasi and/or unicorns?

I know there have been threads speculating on how old the Mane 6 are but I am curious as to lifespans in general. Please discuss. :D

Pegasuses and Unicorns can get old. There is an old pegasus in Sonic Rainboom.

BTW, I dont think ponies can be KILLED either XD I mean, its Equestria, not real life!

I definitely think they all have the same lifespans (human lifespans)

Edited by Pinkie

hmmmm.....I think they have the normal lifespan of a horse, I think horses can live up to 40, 50 or 60 years, well i'm not too sure about than, and I don't find any difference between earth ponies, pegasus and unicorns.

and I think that the only alicorns that are inmortals are Celestia and Luna, and I bet they are other ones all over Equestria besides Cadence, who was a filly when she was Twilight foalsitter and who also married a "mortal" unicorn like Shining Armor (what's the point of marrying him if he's going to get old and die? :huh: )

We never saw Celestia and Luna as fillies, never before.

I wanna know what they called her when she was just a little filly. I can't be the only one wondering, can I?

Considering she's named after Granny Smith apples, I bet she was still called Granny Smith - it was just more awkward back then. ^_^

Considering she's named after Granny Smith apples, I bet she was still called Granny Smith - it was just more awkward back then. ^_^

Apple Relative: Ohai Granny smith

young Granny Smith: STFU I am Smith the Kid

Apple Relative: LOL Dafuq you say?

I am sorry my brain is full of so much buck.

I think that Unicorn and pegasus have a longer life span than earth ponies simply because i've seen earth ponies do the most physical work. Years? I have no idea, but i guess Unicorn and Pegasus -150 and Earth - 120 (Just a random guess) Though derpy is a exception, because derpy is immortal!!!!

• Brohoof 1

I think that Unicorn and pegasus have a longer life span than earth ponies simply because i've seen earth ponies do the most physical work. Years? I have no idea, but i guess Unicorn and Pegasus -150 and Earth - 120 (Just a random guess) Though derpy is a exception, because derpy is immortal!!!!

I see it as just the opposite. Earth Ponies live the longest. Their bodies are stronger, can endure more punishment, and are attuned to Equestria itself.