Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What gun would you love to own?

GrauWitz

I wouldn't want to own any; They're far too dangerous. That's why here in Australia, it takes years to get one, not days :D

If I had to choose one of them, probably Portal gun. So much fun :o

why are you here then? kinda counter intuitive if you ask me

(Is that thing fully functional?)

The car next to me is also a quick and efficient means of killing. Plus not everyone owns a gun! I mean do non-Americans truly believe that in any given restaurant 85% of the patrons could pull a weapon out at any time? (Rhetorical question.) Plus your own body can be a quick and efficient means of killing as well. I know at least one potentially lethal technique.

I prefer swords as well though and for the same reason of artistry. It's a personal quest that I become skilled in the use of such weapons. The one I want to learn how to use next is a dao.

Why is their ability to kill something you see as needing a defensive conjunction though? Swords are weapons, they are made for fighting and killing . . . and?

Lastly, don't be so quick to dismiss the skill of a sharpshooter. You think it's easy to hit a target 30 meters away with a handgun? I know I certainly can't do it and that's the practical reason why I prefer the martial arts, I can't hit the broad side of a mountain with a firearm.

To keep this post semi-on topic. I would love to own this kind of gun.

Gun! Get it?  :muffins:

If by fully functional, you mean it can be drawn and sheathed with the scabbard, is sharp, and is properly balanced, then yes. It sits on my shelf next to my Doctor Who sonic screwdrivers, my 7 (soon to be 9) MLP vinyl collectables, my Rainbow Dash mug and my Rainbow Dash touque. You should check out their website: http://www.coldsteel.com/default.aspx

Sorry to answer your rhetorical question; We know you can't produce guns from thin air (I hope), but it is the prevalant opinion there are a disturbing number of guns in the general populace. I'm not accusing gun owners of not observing proper fire arm handling and storing protocols, but the world is full of idiots, and it only takes one bullet for there to be a serious problem (heck, even a butt to the face can send you to the hospital). And I'm not ignoring the fact that pretty much any household item can be a murder weapon, but have you ever heard of a kitchen knife mowing down hundreds of people in a few seconds? That being said, swords are okay because there is a sport and a craft involved. Guns are okay because there's at least three sports involved (ranging, hunting, and skeet shooting, off the top of my head). I just think that assault rifles and hand guns are over doing it.

I, in no way, disrespected sharpshooting. In fact, I think that it's a very praiseworthy skill. I, likewise, have little skill in it. In the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, we have rifle days where we use Daisy air rifles. At best, I could hit at most one bullseye and miss at least three completely on from about ten metres on ten four centimetre targets with a rangless scope in the prone position.

Is that a blowgun?

Oh, and I can't forget my beloved nerd gun.

8200.jpg

img-3243823-3-img-1721777-1-ed41_limited

Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device formerly known as the Aperture Science Portable Quantum Tunneling Device.

This version, can be used on most flat surfaces.img-3243823-4-DS3_Plasma_Cutter_Blog_Cov

A plasma cutter img-3243823-5-ME3_Lancer_AS.png

an M-7 Lancer.

Dat first one...the portal gun...I'd love to have that one...

Okay one thing that's started to cause me some chagrin is whenever the topic of weapons comes up in the forums, you have a good number of people who cop out and either:

A ) Name something that isn't and can't be used as a weapon. (Unless you're Jackie Chan.)

B ) Choose a weapon that doesn't exist when the scenario calls for real weapons. (These are usually followed up with some feigned innocence such as "does that count?")

or C ) Ignore the prompting and just refute the scenario all together. (Why comment on the thread in the first place then?) 

I can't be the only one who's a little annoyed at this can I?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

There are some guns I would like to own, but the one I would absolutely want the most is AN-94. This particular weapon because it's designed to fire at 1800RPM for two-round bursts; this makes two bullets land very close to one another which is effective for armour piercing. Also, because of such high rate of fire, you two shoot bullets but feel one recoil. It seems like something in the gun's mechanism requires its magazine to be somewhat misaligned with gun. However, because of complicated mechanism, it does not have same reliability of standard Kalashnikov weapons.
img-3597809-1-an94-1.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4e4QcbEZP8
But as far as I know, unless I become one of Spetsnaz or somehow I receive special permission, I will never have the opportunity to even shoot it; this saddens me a little bit.

I suppose I could make do with new AK-12 which I would also be happy to own and expect would have same reliability as regular Kalashnikov weapons. It also has increased fire rate for 3 round burst (650 for auto and 1000 for burst), but is still is not AN-94.
img-3597809-2-AK12-1.jpg

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 2

Maybe something for self-defense when I'm old enough to legally carry a firearm. :)

Good and responsible mindset to have. These aren't toys after all. Is there any particular kind of weapon you'd prefer for self-defense?

Maybe something for self-defense when I'm old enough to legally carry a firearm. :)

AR-18

SPAS-12 (That's Italian. You can go pump or auto)

.45 Longslide with laser sighting (That's a good gun. You touch the trigger, the beam comes on and you put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. You can't miss)

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range

Uzi 9mm

S&W Model 15

Any one of these is ideal for home defense. Well, except for the plasma rifle. That hasn't been invented yet.  :P

• Brohoof 2

AR-18

SPAS-12 (That's Italian. You can go pump or auto)

.45 Longslide with laser sighting (That's a good gun. You touch the trigger, the beam comes on and you put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. You can't miss)

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range

Uzi 9mm

S&W Model 15

Any one of these is ideal for home defense. Well, except for the plasma rifle. That hasn't been invented yet.  :P

Well even if it was, depending on your home structure, a rifle's length might be more of a hindrance.

Waaaaait a minute, isn't that the Terminator's first load out?!  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Well even if it was, depending on your home structure, a rifle's length might be more of a hindrance.

Waaaaait a minute, isn't that Terminator's first load out?!  :okiedokielokie:

I have no idea what you're talking about!  :ph34r:

• Brohoof 1

Sorry for the late reply and none of the following is meant to be a personal indictment just a questioning of your position.

If by fully functional, you mean it can be drawn and sheathed with the scabbard, is sharp, and is properly balanced, then yes.

I only ask because sometimes people have swords that are blunted. They look like real weapons but are in fact a poor man's club because a baseball bat is a better weapon than a sword with no edge.

And I'm not ignoring the fact that pretty much any household item can be a murder weapon, but have you ever heard of a kitchen knife mowing down hundreds of people in a few seconds?

In a few seconds? Never. In total? 18 people. Jack the Ripper. (His theorized number of victims beyond the confirmed five.)

Then 15 people with a hatchet. Elifasi Msomi.

Finally 70 people with a common household hammer. Kampatimar Shankariya.

I turn to a basic truism. "Guns don't kill people. People, kill people." Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who doesn't and never wants to own a gun.

That being said, swords are okay because there is a sport and a craft involved. Guns are okay because there's at least three sports involved (ranging, hunting, and skeet shooting, off the top of my head)

I don't disagree with you but I think you're missing the point. I don't train with a sword because I want to compete in some competition, I train for two reasons. One for self-mastery and two, so that if push comes to shove and I have my weapon close at hand, I can use it to effect against an adversary. Plus I did sport fencing for three years and despised it. To call that neutered and soulless sport in anyway akin to swordsmanship is an insult to that legacy.

I just think that assault rifles and hand guns are over doing it.

An assault rifle I can see, but a handgun?! You mean a man or woman should not be able to carry a very practical and concealable weapon on them should they come under attack?

So many possibilities :wau::o I would love to have a small but powerful handgun, no specific name comes to mind. Also a rifle or AK47....*sigh* Only in my dreams :squee:

Well the M1911 Colt is a classic.

Colt1911goldcup.JPG

It may not kill a man with one shot, but it's stopping power is great enough to knock him on his ass. Which actually makes it quite ideal for self-defense.

Might I ask as to why you want an AK as well? I'm merely curious.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

Sorry for the late reply and none of the following is meant to be a personal indictment just a questioning of your position.

I only ask because sometimes people have swords that are blunted. They look like real weapons but are in fact a poor man's club because a baseball bat is a better weapon than a sword with no edge.

In a few seconds? Never. In total? 18 people. Jack the Ripper. (His theorized number of victims beyond the confirmed five.)

Then 15 people with a hatchet. Elifasi Msomi.

Finally 70 people with a common household hammer. Kampatimar Shankariya.

I turn to a basic truism. "Guns don't kill people. People, kill people." Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who doesn't and never wants to own a gun.

I don't disagree with you but I think you're missing the point. I don't train with a sword because I want to compete in some competition, I train so that if push comes to shove and I have my weapon close at hand, I can use it to effect against an adversary. Plus I did sport fencing for three years and despised it. To call that neutered and soulless sport in anyway akin to swordsmanship is an insult to that legacy.

An assault rifle I can see, but a handgun?! You mean a man or woman should not be able to carry a very practical and concealable weapon on them should they come under attack?

Colt1911goldcup.JPG

It may not kill a man with one shot, but it's stopping power is great enough to knock him on his ass. Which actually makes it quite ideal for self-defense.

Might I ask as to why you want an AK as well? I'm merely curious.

It's beautiful :wau: I wish I could own a gun like that :P

I've heard alot about those guns and I want to see them in action myself ^_^

• Brohoof 1

And I don't even think that's the record, either. Remember, Ol' Jack's killings came in periods of time after each other. They weren't all in one time. Not like this attack: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/01/world/asia/china-railway-attack/

I don't disagree with you but I think you're missing the point. I don't train with a sword because I want to compete in some competition, I train so that if push comes to shove and I have my weapon close at hand, I can use it to effect against an adversary. Plus I did sport fencing for three years and despised it. To call that neutered and soulless sport in anyway akin to swordsmanship is an insult to that legacy.

I've taken fencing myself, and it just didn't feel like swordplay at all. Can't move the wrists, for one, was a big thing I had trouble with. I just couldn't do it. It seems like me, to be a "sport" developed in a time after actual swordsmanship had died out. It just didn't feel realistic in terms of swordplay. Swordplay requires vast amount of discipline, yes, but it also requires the resourcefulness, cleverness, and intelligence of the swordman in order to actually finish a duel in a realistic amount of time. The point of the old duels was to disarm and defeat the opponent in as quick and as efficient amount of time possible. Not poke each other with blunted sticks and rack up points.

An assault rifle I can see, but a handgun?! You mean a man or woman should not be able to carry a very practical and concealable weapon on them should they come under attack?

Agreed. I'm not exactly a fan of machine gun weaponry myself, as it is neither a sporting nor adequate type of firearm. It's overkill in terms of home defense, and a dishonorable slaughtering tool in a hunt. It wouldn't help you in a firefight with the US government, because unless you have an armament of rocket launchers and artillery, you're not going to stand much of a chance. However, a handgun, is a perfect weapon weapon. Deadly, yet easily transportable and concealable, they are great for personal and home defense. 

Indeed. I've always personally wanted a 1911 long slide because of Terminator. It always seemed like a really cool looking pistol. 

• Brohoof 1

Good and responsible mindset to have. These aren't toys after all. Is there any particular kind of weapon you'd prefer for self-defense?

I honestly have no idea. Probably a firearm.

I honestly have no idea. Probably a firearm.

I meant what kind of firearm.  :P Sorry, force of habit. In the military, you never refer to your weapon as a "gun" you call it either a weapon or it's specific type. (Rifle, pistol, etc.)

I've taken fencing myself, and it just didn't feel like swordplay at all. Can't move the wrists, for one, was a big thing I had trouble with. I just couldn't do it. It seems like me, to be a "sport" developed in a time after actual swordsmanship had died out. It just didn't feel realistic in terms of swordplay. Swordplay requires vast amount of discipline, yes, but it also requires the resourcefulness, cleverness, and intelligence of the swordman in order to actually finish a duel in a realistic amount of time. The point of the old duels was to disarm and defeat the opponent in as quick and as efficient amount of time possible. Not poke each other with blunted sticks and rack up points.

Could not have said it better myself. For me it was the fact that you couldn't use your other hand that was my first warning sign. I mean, no kicks, no grabs, no striking with the guard or pommel, not even any cutting moves! I know it's primarily a stabbing weapon, but you could still cut and slash with a rapier!

It's beautiful I wish I could own a gun like that

Maybe you will one day. Gun laws vary by state but you can get a license to legally own one in all of them.

I've heard alot about those guns and I want to see them in action myself

I would only stress caution in that AKs are dangerous even when compared to most auto fire rifles.