Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

13 episode season just seems like a rush for being able to host the show on other channels or have a full year of re-runs.

Comparing it to another show Lauren Faust birthed...the Powerpuff Girls went on for six seasons and a few movies. The management of the two cartoons are different, but the popularity level of the powerpuff girls was arguably same or lower than MLP:FiM. We're in for a ride. The hub, honestly, doesn't have tons of super-awesome shows it hosts (other than batman), and when MLP:FiM caught fire and just shot off, well, go to their website! You'll see the results. MLP is now practically the flagship series of the hub. I would reasonably not expect less than five seasons, but we could even see six.

• Brohoof 2

13 episode season just seems like a rush for being able to host the show on other channels or have a full year of re-runs.

Comparing it to another show Lauren Faust birthed...the Powerpuff Girls went on for six seasons and a few movies. The management of the two cartoons are different, but the popularity level of the powerpuff girls was arguably same or lower than MLP:FiM. We're in for a ride. The hub, honestly, doesn't have tons of super-awesome shows it hosts (other than batman), and when MLP:FiM caught fire and just shot off, well, go to their website! You'll see the results. MLP is now practically the flagship series of the hub. I would reasonably not expect less than five seasons, but we could even see six.

Six? Just six? 8)

This thing about William Anderson's poem is so wonderful!!! And an awesomely sly way for him to release info without technically doing it, so they can't get him in trouble for it, not by the technicalities and contracts, anyways. Clever man, Will, just like your composing ;)

Or, as my friend Will from High School would say:

Clever girl!

(Though he quoted it with a really awesome sort of accented tone)

Anyways, thankfully the big guys at Hasbro are smart, and that sounds like a brilliant theory.

From the beginning, they probably planned season 3 having 13 episodes so they could drop the series if it failed (after all, they did get a new director, new cast, take a whole new direction and everything. Risky stuff), and if it didn't, it could get syndicated on other channels sooner, and they could release either a movie or the next season sooner.

Good thinking, chap.

(Though I'm not sure why I said "chap" because I'm not British. I'm actually from Alabama...)

If this is true, I'll kinda be disappointed.. just cuz I love the usual amount. Though if Season four comes out sooner I'll be pleased. I'd love to have sooner seasons, but I'd prefer more episodes. Why? Dunno. Just what my mind is telling me.. I don't know what they'll acomplish with 13 episodes.. but that's me..

(edited)

This half as many episodes to me makes me worried that the show id close to being cancelled.

But i'm sure that just me exaggerating.

Dear Everyone Reading this:

See Ponyvangelist up there, a few posts up, freaking out about a poem? Follow the link.

Do it.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ALySsPXt0

Link

Edited by Mattlight
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

It makes me chuckle a bit, I like the number 13 for kingdom hearts. Now without my biased I'm a completely different person. I think this is a sad sign, it means they may be running out of material and rushed by fans, busied by other new animations and less devoted. I think they will be quality episodes, indeed, but I think this is our first clue at a decline in our show. All hope, however, is not lost. Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Tron Renegade, The Legend Of Korra, cartoons are entering another golden age.

Even if the show is in a decline the fanbase is massive, and it will last a long time. Remember the show making fiends? Maybe you didn't even see it, it didn't go on for long, but fans are still alive today. The brony fanbase will be strong for years.

And heck, maybe I'm wrong, perhaps this is a temporary diversion from Tara Strong's Lollipop Chainsaw absence or work on other shows. Out best bet is to just wait and see what happens, perhaps they have something nice in mind for us. Maybe it even means they looked deep into the fanbase to dug up things bronies would love and fit them in well.

Edited by Vulpes

Generally, on most cartoons, shows with 13 episodes usually have two short episodes per full episode... Maybe the FiM crew plans on doing this? I'd be really happy if they did. It would be interesting to see what they would do with a format like that.

Generally, on most cartoons, shows with 13 episodes usually have two short episodes per full episode... Maybe the FiM crew plans on doing this? I'd be really happy if they did. It would be interesting to see what they would do with a format like that.

Faust had wanted to do full length episodes despite the fact that Hasbro wanted two shorts per episode in the beginning. Somehow I highly doubt that the show's going to reverse course, especially since Faust has effectively left the show since the second season and episode structure hasn't changed.

After going through this topic, post by post, bit by bit, I'll say that after doing my research and seeing the posted links to the poem, that I have a rather positive feeling. If patience is a virtue, I'll wait. I only see things getting better in the future.

• Brohoof 2

Well, from some of the leaked songs from season three, the animation seems to be a lot smoother.

Maybe the smoother animation takes up more time, not leaving them room for another 13 episodes in their schedule.

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss was about. Hasbro obviously wasn't going to cancel the show, so why did everyone suddenly flip out? Most shows have last for 6 seasons, and the popularity of FiM is clearly going to extend that average, so plenty of ponies are left for all.

Why all the panic and worry? Nothing's even happened yet, nothing's been revealed.

I'm glad William Anderson made that message, not because I thought MLP was been cancelled, but because it calmed everyone down and made everyone stop being so paranoid and ridiculous.

As for what I think of the 13 episodes, I've already said earlier, nothing's been revealed yet, so I'm not thinking any differently of Season 3.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss was about. Hasbro obviously wasn't going to cancel the show, so why did everyone suddenly flip out? Most shows have last for 6 seasons, and the popularity of FiM is clearly going to extend that average, so plenty of ponies are left for all.

Why all the panic and worry? Nothing's even happened yet, nothing's been revealed.

I'm glad William Anderson made that message, not because I thought MLP was been cancelled, but because it calmed everyone down and made everyone stop being so paranoid and ridiculous.

As for what I think of the 13 episodes, I've already said earlier, nothing's been revealed yet, so I'm not thinking any differently of Season 3.

You can't really say people shouldn't be worried. The last time we trusted hasbro was during Derpy, and that didn't end well.

I truthfully do not feel as though they are going to end it just on season 3. With how big the fandom has gone, I do not think it would syndicate it.

What if the episodes are an hour long! I doubt it, but that would make it as long as the other seasons.

Also, really hope it doesn't fall under that "65 Episode Rule"

The Numbers Game

Hasbro obviously wasn't going to cancel the show, so why did everyone suddenly flip out?

Because sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.

While I also considered it unlikely that Hasbro would pull the plug at 65 episodes, it wouldn't be the first time a good show ended its run at that point. In fact, it's a trope precisely because it happens so often, particularly with children's cartoons.

It's easy enough for us as fans to think "pony 4ever" and that it would be insane for anyone to shut down a show we see as wildly popular. But those of us who've seen so many other great shows get short runs (and 65 episodes is by no means a "short run" in the cartoon biz) know better.

That number is important because it's common for buyers to order that many episodes to qualify a show for syndication, consign it to reruns and milk as much commercial time out of it as possible while spending their production money on other, newer shows. It's part of the Saturday morning life cycle.

Hasbro pays for the show, and they have a business to run. As long as they see Friendship is Magic as profitable, they will continue to run it. However, there are always other factors that play into the decision, many of which will not be obvious to fans, including the all-important net cash flow.

Times are tough, and Hasbro is losing money on quite a few of its toy lines, including legacy lines. They may have to shut down some brands they've been selling for decades. Even if My Little Pony is profitable (and it is), they still have to weigh the costs of producing the TV show (which are significant) against the returns they're seeing, which aren't always as rosy as they may seem from the outside, and their overall financial picture.

Consider the cost of running The Hub as a whole. If it's generating enough revenue, it stays. If it's a loss leader, they will shut it down, because they simply can't afford to pour money into a losing enterprise if they don't have the money. If the Hub goes, FiM loses its home. That wouldn't necessarily kill the show, but endeavors like The Hub come and go. Some succeed, most fail. It's a calculated risk, but still very much a risk.

Somewhere in the Hasbro management team, somebody is required to make the whole thing work. That person didn't get there by failing. But with so many variables to juggle, including many outside their control, even the best managers can come up short, and if their bosses see a losing proposition, it's their duty to their investors to make the right call.

Oftentimes, in fact, most often, that means cutting losses and moving on. Not because they are mindless corporate drones who lack vision, but simply because they can't spend money they don't have.

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk us out of good news, and if my appreciation of poetry is not ill-founded, the news is very good. I'm just pointing out that the line between paranoia and pragmatism in this business is so thin because the precedence is so strong. ;)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

*long post*

I see. Thanks for the explanation! I should've done the research first before I put my post up. I think there was actually a reasonable explanation for worrying now (even if I don't think of it as the best thing to do at a time like this). So, again, thanks! Your post was very helpful.

Anyway, I've already mentioned before, we can't really be sure about anything right now. It could be be because of the costs, or it could be because of the higher quality, so all we can really do is wait. I'm sure Season 3 will be great anyway.

Edited by ASpark

After going through this topic, post by post, bit by bit, I'll say that after doing my research and seeing the posted links to the poem, that I have a rather positive feeling. -snip-

My thoughts exactly. At first glance I was rather concerned and confused, but after reading I am fairly sure that there is nothing to fear; perhaps not simply that but that there is something to be optimistic about too!

I can tell you two reasons for this that will make you all feel much better. First of all, season 3 will have an overarching story. Shows that do that always take more time to produce. So they just put less episodes to this season to keep people from having to wait to long.

The second reason is that they have a movie on their plate as well. Less episodes to do that will give them more time for the movie.

Like others said, maybe their going to do shorter seasons of higher quality? The Royal Wedding showed us that the team was holding back quite a bit of their true potential. If the series stays that quality from here on out I'll be fine with shorter seasons.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind. I used to watch anime- i'm used to facedesking when an good anime ends so quickly. But then I move on.

But hey, those disappointed- what do you expect? Somre things have to change.

Besides, this is a little girl show.. Well, aimed for it. We weren't intended to exist as a fandom, so lets not complain or be sad. I'm glad we exist, and I won't push it too far as if the show was intended for us.

(edited)

Dear Everyone Reading this:

See Ponyvangelist up there, a few posts up, freaking out about a poem? Follow the link.

Do it.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ALySsPXt0

Link

Sort of like how everyone else here is 'freaking out' over the fact that Season 3 is 13 episodes, even though most people probably don't know why that is.

Someone mentioned a possible movie. While I could definitely see that happening in the realm of possibilities, I am worried about them making that kind of move. It could be a major risk for a MLP series, even though historically they've done it in almost every other generation. But I am still erring on the side of caution over this one. If they make a movie, it has to do well. If they go theatrical, can you see some of the problems building? The safest (and in my opinion, most attractive) option is direct to DVD/Blu-Ray.

While I'm taking any rumors of a movie with a grain of salt, unless someone like Tara Strong or Jaysen Thiessen flat-out says 'There is a movie coming', I would definitely welcome it. I just don't want to assume anything until I see it for myself. And I strongly suggest that everyone here does the same, just for the sake of your own sanity.

Edited by SBaby