Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would a MLP: FIM console video game be like?

Rainbow Eclipse

Personally, I for one, might just hand Hasbro a blank cheque and say, "Write down any amount of money and I shall pay it." What would it be like? What systems would it be on? Which side would it be aimed at, bronies or target age group?

Hi there. Seeing as this is a discussion about a pony video game, it doesn't belong in the Welcoming Plaza. I've moved it to Sugarcube Corner - just to let you know. :)

• Brohoof 1

It would look like Fighting is Magic, you know, a sort of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter-esque game that - Oh, wait? That got cancelled?

In all seriousness, odds are it would end up being kinda silly or pointless. My first thought was that it would be almost exactly like the iOS game that's already out. Other than that, it might be a party game like Raving Rabbids or Spongebob: Lights Camera Pants, or Mario and Sonic at the Olympics... You know, with nothing but mini games; an educational game like they did with the Magic School Bus, LeapFrog and PuttPutt, or possibly some weird side-scroller thing like the old-style Sonic, Mario, and Megaman games.

Edited by Descant

It would be an adventure game. Possibly Legend of Zelda style. I really wish they would make one, I'd be one of the first people to get it. But they'd have to come up with some sort of unique new adventure. :D maybe a new villain. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!! :lol:

No no no no. They shouldn't make it an "educational" game. The formula is simple: Just make a simple 3D platformer kind of thing. Doesn't have to be fancy. You start out playing Twilight. It is a over the shoulder view, run around a 3D environment, picking up items and talking with NPCs. You collect apples, gems, and other items. You jump onto boxes, go into rooms, fight simple monsters. Standard video game stuff.

Each character has different abilities, and you unlock the other characters as you go through the game. For example, there is a cliff you have to get to, but you can't get there until you unlock Rainbow Dash. Or maybe Applejack has a strong kick, and there are things you have to break open that only she can break. You level up too. Twilight gets more spells.

The game can't be too violent, but you can easily beat up monsters. You don't "kill" them, but maybe knock them out. There are puzzles to solve, missions, things like that. It would be so easy to make a MLP console game. I can't believe it hasn't been done already.

Grand Theft Carriage: Ponyville

Edited by BronyNumber42
  • Brohoof 3

I think a good way to go would be to make it somewhat similar to Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing, to fit with the endearing slice of life tone.

Of course, I'd rather have a turn based rpg since that's my favorite game genre.  It would be so easy to give the ponies fun abilities based on their personalities, and there's plenty of locations for them to travel to.

• Brohoof 1

Descant, on 13 Sept 2013 - 5:15 PM, said:It would look like Fighting is Magic, you know, a sort of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter-esque game that - Oh, wait? That got cancelled?

In all seriousness, odds are it would end up being kinda silly or pointless. My first thought was that it would be almost exactly like the iOS game that's already out. Other than that, it might be a party game like Raving Rabbids or Spongebob: Lights Camera Pants, or Mario and Sonic at the Olympics... You know, with nothing but mini games; an educational game like they did with the Magic School Bus, LeapFrog and PuttPutt, or possibly some weird side-scroller thing like the old-style Sonic, Mario, and Megaman games.
You callin' Mario and Sonic and Megaman weird?

There are two ways I'd like to see it done:

A:  Fire Emblem style, a turn based strategy with loads of Paralouges (side quests) and optional character development for added depth.

or

B:  A SMW styled 2D platformer.

I don't like the idea of our colorful horses in 3D.  No render would ever look like the show.

• Brohoof 3

You callin' Mario and Sonic and Megaman weird?

Kinda?

If they released a 2D one, like they should for ponies, then yes, it'd be weird. And there's no denying that some of their games are weird, either.

I have litreally no Idea what it would look like but it would be amazing! 

I have to laugh at the mortal kombat idea, that would be funny ! *Grin*

I don't like the idea of our colorful horses in 3D.  No render would ever look like the show.

It wouldn't have to match the style. I agree a 3D model would necessarily be different. But you shouldn't let that limit your options for a game. There are a lot of 3D games based on comics or cartoons.

It should be an open world game.  You get to choose to play as one of the mane 6 and you go on adventures or missions set by Celestia.  And you need to learn lessons of friendship on the way.   Also, there would be side quests where you can play as members of the CMC.

• Brohoof 1

I think a platformer game would be very difficult to make without making it too shallow and less violent while still making it entertaining. Unless they make it like The Legend Of Zelda games with puzzles and what not.

RPG's arent too bad an option either as people love strategic games. The best option though would make a party game like Mario Party or Sonic Shuffle.

If I were a game developer my first instinct would be to look at 90's Konami beat em ups.

Why?

X-Men Arcade + Mane 6 + ???? = profit. Seriously, if Konami can pull it off with the SImpsons, an indie game studio/in-house studio could do it. 

If I were a game developer my first instinct would be to look at 90's Konami beat em ups.

Why?

X-Men Arcade + Mane 6 + ???? = profit. Seriously, if Konami can pull it off with the SImpsons, an indie game studio/in-house studio could do it.

Yeah it would be awesome if they put it in the PSN store or the Xbox Live complete with online matches.

Though the idea of ponies who idealised friendship seems a bit weird to make a game with them fighting.

A bit contradicting if you will....

Yeah it would be awesome if they put it in the PSN store or the Xbox Live complete with online matches.

Though the idea of ponies who idealised friendship seems a bit weird to make a game with them fighting.

A bit contradicting if you will....

It doesn't have to be brutally violent or anything. In fact, The Simpsons arcade, a

nd Turtles in Time are actually pretty tame and are more on the slapstick side (and don't tell me there hasn't been intentions of violence and/or slapstick on the show lol)

Edited by SHODAN

I would hope that it's an RPG. I just see MLP being great for that. You have the main six in a party, fighting monsters, exploring dungeons and other fascinating areas, leveling up, learning skills, magic, and so on. If not an RPG, then a platformer, adventure game.

• Brohoof 1

I would hope that it's an RPG. I just see MLP being great for that. You have the main six in a party, fighting monsters, exploring dungeons and other fascinating areas, leveling up, learning skills, magic, and so on. If not an RPG, then a platformer, adventure game.

That would be cool for a turn based RPG. Similarly to Final Fantasy, Pokemon, or Paper Mario I would like the idea.

Especially if all the characters have special combined attacks like in Chrono Trigger. That would be pretty awesome. Just have to come up with a way to balance it out because with a team of 6 beating an RPG would be pretty easy.

• Brohoof 2

That would be pretty awesome. Just have to come up with a way to balance it out because with a team of 6 beating an RPG would be pretty easy.

I dunno about that.  After all, Final Fantasy 6 was pretty epic...  :)

But yeah, I think an JRPG would fit the ponies perfectly, though an open-world equestria in the vein of The Elder Scrolls series would be..

:wub:  SO AWESOME!!!

Just have to come up with a way to balance it out because with a team of 6 beating an RPG would be pretty easy.

It could be done like in the Final Fantasy games. You have three out at a time and the other three are basically somewhere else. It could also make for interesting gameplay when you think about it. There could be a few points where you have to divide the six into two teams. Team A does something to help Team B, which in turn leads to Team B helping Team A. After that, they reunite again. Sort of like that one point in Final Fantasy 6 I believe it was. :huh:

how about a 2d platformer based on the adventures of daring-do? that would be pretty fun. :)  also definetly a point and click adventure about derpy hooves. :derp:

An adventure with daring do would really be nice!!! To play her would be even better.

It should be an open world game.  You get to choose to play as one of the mane 6 and you go on adventures or missions set by Celestia.  And you need to learn lessons of friendship on the way.   Also, there would be side quests where you can play as members of the CMC.

It would be real nice to go wherever you'd like, "open world".

I would love to see an open world game where you can create a character, like "Oblivion" and "Skyrim."  You choose at the beginning which type of pony you want to be.  You pick special talents.  You design the character's looks.  Over the course of the game, you choose which skills to build.  The game play would involve going around to various places in Equestria, and helping popular characters with a variety of tasks.  And there would be some sort of over-arching grand mission that involves working closely with the mane six.  As an open world game, you would have freedom to explore and to do what you want, when you want, in whatever order you want.