Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite Book of the Bible

Dark Moon

Plenty of people score well on the MCAT by studying alone, and no prayer.  Nobody passes by prayer alone, and no studying.

Ummm....what's that now?  Why would anybody love to see God destroying anyone?  WTF, dude, seriously.  Also, what is "uncle Death"...I'm confused.

Who or what exactly is that guy fighting?  It seems like a lot of violence focused against something that isn't clearly defined.  Please elaborate.

Duh? Didn't Death always kill people (Grim Reaper)? Beside don't you hate the sinners? 

Those sinners who polluting the world everyday while Christ had died for our sins. The only solution to solve for this "pollution" is only Death itself.

I'll go out and say that the four Gospels (the Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) are probably my favorite books of the Bible, seeing as they mark the historical transition from the Old to New Testament as Jesus fulfills God's centuries-old promises to redeem mankind from our sinful condition through spreading his Word and message of unconditional love and finally dying on the cross as the perfect sacrifice for all mankind before resurrecting 3 days later.  That is really the spiritual center of the entire Bible, what everything else before and after either builds up to or revolves around, and for me, it's simply magnificent and beautiful to read about Jesus's life and ministry.

That said, there are plenty of individual books that stand out as well beyond those four for me.  I really need to read up on more of Paul's letters, since they contain some of the most intelligent theological passages of the Bible.  The Book of Job is one of my favorite all time books of the Old Testament, and there's a reason it's the first Book of Wisdom in the Old Testament's chronology; it marks the first time that many theological arguments appear in Judaism and Old Testament theology, really very fascinating book all in all.

Edited by Batbrony

Duh? Didn't Death always kill people (Grim Reaper)? Beside don't you hate the sinners? 

Those sinners who polluting the world everyday while Christ had died for our sins. The only solution to solve for this "pollution" is only Death itself.

Well, when you put it that way...

As far as dealing with that "pollution", it's almost like talking about it doesn't get very far.  What if somebody were to come up with an actual solution that wold work in the long term.  A kind of "final solution", if you will.  Yes, that should do quite nicely, don't you think?

Either Revelation or Psalms. I like Revelation because it shows what the end will be like and how great and triumphant Jesus' return will be. I like Psalms because of how beautiful they are. The Psalms were mostly written by David, and a lot of songs have been made of the lyrics in that book. Some of my favorite verses from these books are:

"Let everything that has breath praise The Lord! Praise The Lord!" - Psalms 150:6

And

"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done" -Revelation 22:12

• Brohoof 1

I like Luke, John, Exodus, and Esther. (and Genesis because of the Deus Ex Machina... Oh, God~!)

However, I tend to favour stories over books because, naturally, I'm a huge fan of VeggieTales and like to see those stories acted out by talking handsless vegetation. :D

Edited by LanceTheTurtle
  • Brohoof 4

In the Old Testament: I'd go with either 1 Maccabees or Sirach, if I were deciding on a single book as a whole; although there are notable stories all throughout the Old Testament.

In the New Testament: Luke-Acts (both written by Luke) I like for it's impressive coverage of the life of Jesus/Apostolic history as far as historiography is concerned. The imagery and visions of Revelation are also great to read.

The Letter of James - Martin Luther's least favorite book of the Bible - is also noteworthy.

• Brohoof 2

The Letter of James - Martin Luther's least favorite book of the Bible - is also noteworthy.

The cursed epistle of straw! It's so unfortunate that James is frequently overlooked, due to its strong associations with arguments against works righteousness. If the Letter of James -- which is still canonical, even in Luther's eyes (though not quite as "valid" as the Pauline letters in his view; he also thought the letter was too Jewish) -- will lead us astray, then the whole of the New Testament is shrouded by doubt. That's a pretty frightening thought!

• Brohoof 1

The cursed epistle of straw! It's so unfortunate that James is frequently overlooked, due to its strong associations with arguments against works righteousness. If the Letter of James -- which is still canonical, even in Luther's eyes (though not quite as "valid" as the Pauline letters in his view; he also thought the letter was too Jewish) -- will lead us astray, then the whole of the New Testament is shrouded by doubt. That's a pretty frightening thought!

"Regarding the debate about faith and works: It’s like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most important."

Quote by C.S. Lewis

• Brohoof 1

s: this is hard to decide.
I really like the story of Job (which, fun fact, is the oldest book in the Bible) 

Psalms has a lot of good verses that I memorized from them being in lots of songs that play on the radio and stuff.

But the most fun one to study, for me, is Revelation. I like how its so unique, its about the future, not the past or present. It's sad, disturbing, and scary but hey, didn't you have even a little bit of fun reading about Dragons and Beasts? 

I like Luke, John, Exodus, and Esther. (and Genesis because of the Deus Ex Machina... Oh, God~!)

However, I tend to favour stories over books because, naturally, I'm a huge fan of VeggieTales and like to see those stories acted out by talking handsless vegetation. :D

Did you know that it was actually going to be not Veggie Tales but chocolate? I learned that not long ago :PP 
I like sharing fun facts. xD 

• Brohoof 1

I like the whole book of revelations. Its so spooky and abstract. I'm a sucker for end of the world type stuff. I also love most of the old testament for all of the stories in it. Sure, God is portrayed as more vengeful, but it makes for a better read ;) The beatitudes are also really beautiful.

I'm catholic btw. Like Dusknight said, its not like catholics read the whole bible from top to bottom and memorize its quotes. I read parts of the bible mostly because i just feel like it.

I also like the quote "And he shall smite the wicked and plunge them into the fiery pit." I remember it from Hunchback of Notre Dame especially. Its pretty metal.

Edited by crazitaco

• 1 month later...

The part of the bible I like the most is the personal ministry of Jesus on earth, therefore the 4 gospels at the start of the NT are my favorites, although there are certain verses in corinthians that catch my fancy as well...

I probably would be a fan of revelations, if I understood it better. xD

Edited by Heatwave

For those who like the book of Revelations, I must say I was going to put this as my favorite.  I have a BS in Bible Theology, and it was the Book of Revelation that really spurred me to persue furthering my knowledge of God's Word.  I did not so much do it for a career as much as I did to find understanding and growth.  For those who don't do much "studying" into the Bible, I reccomend reading the Book of Daniel (especially the second half of it) because it and Revalation have a lot in common (besides its cryptic-ness). 

As for my favorite, upon my typing of all this and just thinking a bit more about it, I think mine would have to the Gospel of John.  It's the only book in the Bible where, throughout my studies, allowed me to draw a more personable Jesus in my mind, and just made me feel a bit closer to God due to Jesus' relatibility as a human being.  That and Luke and Acts have to be my top 3 books of the NT.  From the OT, it would Proverbs.  There is so much I can take from that book to help me better myself in the ways of life wisdom without going through the harsh experiances to get there.  I am not wise by any means, but it shows that wisdom is not impossible at any age either.