Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So did Queen Chrysalis make a threat against Canterlot? Kinda counter-intuitive

Never2muchpinkie

My third topic about this girl. They just keep coming. When Twilight first sees Shining Armor after they get off the train, she rages at him for not telling her in person he was getting married. He said he couldn't leave as he's needed for security and everything's getting beefed up. He responds that it isn't about the wedding, that someone has made a threat against the kingdom.Who made the threat? Given the ease with which Chanegelings can blend in with society as long as they can take a pony form, and that the queen herself had taken over the bride, it doesn't seem likely that anyone had the faintest idea what a changeling WAS prior to their reveal.

So was it Chrysalis herself who issued the threat? To what purpose? You could argue that it's always been there, we just didn't see it until we had to, but the threat being issued resulted in a city wide shield being put up, which only made it harder for her army to attack.Instead of constantly banging on it to strain Shining Armor, if there was no idea of a threat, the shield wouldn't be up in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know I never really thought about and, you're right, it does seem very strange.  I think there may have been a rumor that escalated to a full on defense effort. 

I think that Chrysalis was a huge threat to the kingdom, if the Changelings are able to blend in when they are able to take the form of any of the ponies. It is pretty odd when there is a huge threat that your unaware of but, you put up a huge rise in defense to fend off the unknown threat.

• Brohoof 1

The threat was probably for the purpose of having them all concentrate on a potential attack from the outside where the real threat was inside of this bubble shield the entire time. That, and having all of these defenses up could weaken those who are creating the defenses, which is what Shining armor and the unicorn guards were doing that whole time, which would have made less resistance from them.

• Brohoof 6

Idk, i feel like she threatned them maybe to worry the people of canterlot? Maybe she was trying to weaken the shield and canterlots defenses slowly, and couldn't do so if they weren't really ready for an attack. 

I would assume the shield did wear shining armor out, which could be part of her plan.

Could be other reasons, but i do think she sent a threat, and just stayed hidden regardless.

However as far as how long it was like that, well, i doubt very long. I mean Cadence couldn't have gone forever without stuff like food, water, a bathroom(I mean not totally needed but it could get hard to live there after a while..), possibly air, i mean being underground secluded she may have lacked oxygen.

So yeah, i think she probably wasn't there long, I imagine that the whole thing was a pretty recent event when Twilight came.

There is another possibility. That the changelings were not the threat. There was something *else* going on, and everyone assumed after the fact that it was the changelings. Chrysalis had some other plan entirely, and she had to switch to improv when the shield went up. The actual threat was never revealed or resolved.

Nah. I mean, I *wish* that was the answer, but nah.

to quote Anthony c

cause fake candice is a moron.

Canterlot wedding is bad a scene

there's a good half our master peice of tommy olilver aka boney curious and Anthony C debating about it.

and that debate is far more entertaining than the episode lol

She was spared by Hasbro for purpose, she will return. She supposed to be death at that time but don't worry.

King Sombra wasn't that lucky! He killed, Queen lives.

she got blasted of screen that never kills team rocket LOL why would it hurt queen swish cheese legs?

I mean she has wings for crying out loud

she got blasted of screen that never kills team rocket LOL why would it hurt queen swish cheese legs?

I mean she has wings for crying out loud

Hasbro spared her! We thank them for that but King Sombra is like the only pony ever killed in the series.  (She will return in S4)

FIRST KILLED PONY!!!!

king_sombra_killed_____by_grumbeerkopp-d

We're likely better off with sombre gone.

I for one would like to see him get another chance,

but hay I'd be willing to give sunset shimmer and sentry another chance LOL.  maybe i'm not the best person to be handing out second chances.

Well I think there was a purpose to the threat. They wanted to take out Shining Armor. If the changelings attacked Canterolt full force with out making him weak, SA would put up the barrier and the changelings would not be able to get in. After that the, ponies would come up with a plan and the changelings would have been destroyed. 

Also making a threat on someone can also be a good way to battle. By making the threat the caption of the guards and the other guards would always be read for battle, but they would not get a right amount of sleep and would get weaker. While they are weak, attack them with a fully rested army and take over.

So that's why the threat was made.

It seems to me that the nature of the threat was entirely opaque -- hence why extraordinary yet conventional defenses were erected to combat said threat. I'm mostly in agreement with Kyoshi: the threat was likely delivered to divert attention toward an external enemy, further hiding Chrysalis' methods. To add to that assessment, I likewise believe Chrysalis was intentionally placing stress on Shining Armor so as to weaken him and, by extension, the best defense for Canterlot against a Changeling invasion. Considering that a healthy Shining Armor -- combined with the Elements of Harmony and the princesses -- could very likely repel the Changelings, leaving him exhausted gave Chrysalis the opportunity she needed to exert direct control over Shining.

Clearly nopony knew the Changelings were the source of the threat because otherwise their suspicions would have been aroused in a different manner. What doesn't quite jibe is why an invasion was expected when the enemy was unknown. Unless the Canterlot Royal Guard was going for overkill, I can't readily envision a vague threat which would lead everyone to believe Canterlot, the capital of Equestria, was facing imminent invasion. It would be akin to someone sending the Secret Service a threat that Washington D.C. was to be invaded on Inauguration Day, resulting in the National Guard basically surrounding the city as a precaution.

Well I think there was a purpose to the threat. They wanted to take out Shining Armor. If the changelings attacked Canterolt full force with out making him weak, SA would put up the barrier and the changelings would not be able to get in. After that the, ponies would come up with a plan and the changelings would have been destroyed. 

Also making a threat on someone can also be a good way to battle. By making the threat the caption of the guards and the other guards would always be read for battle, but they would not get a right amount of sleep and would get weaker. While they are weak, attack them with a fully rested army and take over.

So that's why the threat was made.

But she was steadily draining Shining Armor anyway, so that doesn't make a lot of sense from your first part. As for the second part, they probably would have stepped up security regardless, though not to the extent it was, with an imminent wedding.

But she was steadily draining Shining Armor anyway, so that doesn't make a lot of sense from your first part. As for the second part, they probably would have stepped up security regardless, though not to the extent it was, with an imminent wedding.

I don't think Chrysalis was draining him of his power. I think she was trying to put him undermined control. Besides even if Chrysalis was draining him, he probably would have noticed sooner that he was being hit by a mind control spell or wondering why his wife to be is casting a spell on him, for no reason. 

I don't think Chrysalis was draining him of his power. I think she was trying to put him undermined control. Besides even if Chrysalis was draining him, he probably would have noticed sooner that he was being hit by a mind control spell or wondering why his wife to be is casting a spell on him, for no reason. 

Oh yeah. I forgot that the reason she was putting spells on him in the first place was because he was getting migraine's from keeping the spell active and the changelings actively whacking the crap out of it to increase his fatigue. which wouldn't have happened if they didn't think there was a threat, and as another user said it was probably easier for 'Cadence' to do her work if they were focused on the thought of an outside threat. Okay, I finally have a full understanding of the logic behind that. =)

• Brohoof 1

If everyone is focused on a hypothetical threat from outside, they'll never consider the real threat right under their noses. That's how society in George Orwell's 1984 works, isn't it? Constant war from external threats, nobody thinks about the threat of the powers-that-be crushing them underfoot.

And with Shining and his guards constantly maintaining that forcefield, that leaves ol' Shining weak. Susceptible to, oh, maybe a touch of hypnosis?

Her forces were never meant to have to break into the city like that. Even if they didn't lower the shield after the whole wedding ordeal was done, once she fed enough, she'd be able to destroy the shield. Twilight discovering her forced a change in plans.