Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the 'Best Pony' Always Have to be a 'Mane Six' Character?

DND

What do you think?  

56 users have voted

1. 1. Should logically and canonically-based 'best pony' opinions exclusively belong to the 'mane six'?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

I thought this topic should have been made since I mentioned it in a another 'best pony' post. 

So... with that being said, I met quite a few fans of the show that have logical explanations to liking a character from the 'mane six' the most, but not so much that have a good description of why they like a more minor pony the most. Being in the minor pony category, I can come up with quite a few, but I really, truly, and honestly don't get a solid result as to why lots of fans disregard ever having a favorite pony that is not a 'mane six' pony character.

Am I taking this all wrong? Am I on the right page? Tell me why.

Why should only the mane 6 be allowed to be favorited? Everyone is going to have different opinions and interests. So why should someone dictate what should and should not be allowed to be favorited? It's up to you to decide what you like, not others. tongue.png

I think people get ideas like this because those characters are usually the main focus in the show. If they want to think that way, let them, just don't let it dictate you.

I like Princess Luna because I can relate to her in ways I cannot relate to the other characters, I guess you could say I feel like I understand her and why she is the way she is even though it is a show.

Edited by Xelphos
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think you're wrong at all. Look at a character like Trixie. While she isn't my favorite, nor do I particularly like her, she shows a lot of potential for being an interesting and in depth character. I think that the mane six do get a lot of facetime though, and so are easier to get to know and like. However, I do think that most people do have a favorite of the mane six, one they connect with the most.

As for the best pony, I don't know that there really ever could be one, as all of the characters have flaws. I believe this is intentional, because so called "perfect" characters are generally bland and flat. Even Celestia isn't all knowing.

Personally, I adore Rarity, but I also like Cadence and Scootaloo a lot.

• Brohoof 1

Favorite pony will always be an opinion and like mist opinions they are never wrong for the people who have them , like my favorite pony is scootaloo. Now a lot of people dont like her that is just fine withe me but some people take it to the extreme.

Favorite should be based on what one you like not if they are mane 6

Edited by DaReaper

The title ''best pony'' isn't only limited to the Mane Six, since there are a lot of people in the fandom who label background ponies as their own ''best pony'' even when others don't agree. Minor characters might not be as listed as much as someone's favorite pony or as their best pony, but they are still mentioned at times. To answer the question, ''best pony'' is open to everypony.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going against the grain and saying "best pony" should only be mane 6. Why? Well because I consider "best pony" to reference your favorite of the mane 6. I then say "best non-mane 6 pony" or "best background pony" for my favorite background. Just the way I do things.

Edited by Puddlejumper

Not necessarily, there are a lot great ponies and some of them are secondary or even background ponies and "best pony" is a matter of preference anyway. 

It's all up too you who is "your" best pony. Their is no such thing as overall best pony and it definitely doesn't have too be one of the mane 6. It could be an OC if you so desire.

Nope let your favorite best character be whomever!

Pinkie pie has always been my favorite since the start and even if she wasn't apart of the mane six she would still be my favorite. Course I have close favorites those being derpy and cheerilee.

• Brohoof 1

The best pony doesn't have to be a Mane 6 pony, not by any means. I have a friend who says "Spike is best pony". A few other friends of mine have favorites that are background ponies. My "best pony" is Twilight, but it's just because I like her, not because she's a mane 6 pony.

Of course not.

though I like to use other variants of "best pony" like "Best background pony" or "best villain" or "best wonderbolt" or "best unicorn" I could go on,  so in a fun way it makes a lot of different ponies 'best pony" just in slight variations.

Though, for me Fluttershy will always be  thee "best pony"

Edited by ~Chaotic_Fluttershy~

Favorite Ponies are based of a certain person's opinion. For example, my favorite is Princess Celestia. She isn't part of the main 6, but I don't really care at all. I think it all depends on what you think. But honestly, you should go with what you like, not what other people like. Be yourself! :)

Edited by Flightless Alicorn

Well of course not, there are a lot of great characters in MLP that I could see(and have seen)be someone's favorites, plus some people like to latch onto background ponies for whatever reason. So of course it isn't/shouldn't be limited to the mane 6.

No, probably not, my favorite pony is Sweetie Belle, and even though I seem to be a minority in that respect, I don't think anyone would discount me as not having a "best pony".

If you're basing your choice purely on logical and canonical arguments, then it would certainly be easier to pick a mane 6 pony, but that doesn't mean it should be exclusive.

I've heard a few good arguments for Princess Luna, Sweetie Belle, and Derpy Hooves, for instance. If someone can dig deep enough into the source material to find something to adore that much about the minor characters, then more power to them.

Edited by Mandalore Dash

Personally, I think the reason a mane 6 pony is usually called the "best pony" is because we know more about them than any other character, including the Princesses, CMC, and the Background Ponies. We have had more time and experience with them so we would probably get attached to them more than any other character. 

It doesn't always have to be a mane 6 pony to be "best pony" though. As long as you have good reasons to have a pony, mane 6 or not, to be your favorite, I don't see the problem. 

Nope otherwise I wouldn't be able to say Luna is best pony then I'd be......upset ^^ I gotta say I do believe background ponies can't be best ponies though. Half of them only have personalities thanks to fanon it seems so that aside they'd have to be judged solely on looks and being shallow is wrong ^^

I say it should be exclusive to the Mane 6, unless the person who asks says otherwise. It is a known fact that they are the main characters and focus of the show. Of course, this does not mean you can't like any secondary, tertiary or background character, so if someone asks me who best pony is, I would probably say the best out of the Mane 6, then ask if he meant any character on the show.

It shouldn't be regulated to just the mane 6 as there are plenty of other characters with loveable traits and personalities that people can relate too. Though I'll admit, I'll never understand how anyone can say like "OMG! DERPY/LYRA/DRWHOOVES/IRRELEVANTBACKGROUNDPONY IS BEST PONY!!!" with a straight face. 

Question has obviously already been answered by now. Personally i have a hard time deciding my "favorite pony" or "best pony". Dashie is of course, the best pony, according to herself.

"Can't settle for less 'cause I'm the best, so a contest we will see! For the greatest number one bestest pet in the world for meeeee!"

I'm pretty sure I messed up the part after the first (!), but yeah. It's from S02E07, I'm sure she's said it a few more times, but that song, I kinda know it by heart by now, it's one of my favorite songs from MLP (all of them are great, but this one i've listened to A LOT...).

Trixie is one of my favorites, she might not be the most nice pony or something, but I really like her anyway, much because of her style, she's like, adorable. When I say "one of my favorites", almost everypony goes into that category, except the ones that are genuinely evil or something, I mean, not very nice, in my own opinion. We already have a discussion for if there are anypony/anything who is evil beyond redemption, or maybe that was about changelings... yeah, whatever :)

No way. I'm flexible with that stuff. The best pony is whoever you want it to be. I don't have a problem with going beyond canon to develop my tastes. That's why Lyra Heartstrings and Silver Spoon are my best ponies. After them you have Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie. :D