Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do people go to college for the wrong reasons?

LED Dasher

I hate to bad month my own family, but most of my career and college decisions are dictated by my family. I just go along with it and look what happened I fucked up. Telling people don’t do what other tells you doesn’t help either. The other least part of the college decisions making are also from mine. Sadly it was a poor judgment so I also fucked on that too. Guess school wasn’t never meant for me since K school. Never like school anyway.

People tends to underestimate people like us who hates school because of dumb structures, uneducated. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty resourceful myself and like indulging myself to knowledge that both interests and benefits me.  School/college got me filtered lots of useless knowledges. That’s why I can never roll with it. To me it’s pointless to some extend but occasionally.

But hey, look at me. At my job I got the senior manager position without having to go through being assistant in order to get to that position. I just got promoted straight up. Where most previous managers got it with a degree and required it. Guess I’m just one of those lucky son of a bitch without a degree to earn that position because of my wits and my resourcefulness. I suppose they just seems to acknowledge that over some college degrees. So… 

4DE5B8F4-8CB2-44C1-9408-39B3B640A902.gif.6e8ec32bda997af6ffddad181b905837.gif

I have a blog here on this. It comes from pessimism though.

Don't just go to college to "get a degree". You have to BUILD yourself in college so you have more to talk about yourself to would-be employers rather than just "I graduated from a good school.... yeah", which is why ultimately if you can't get into the school you really want to: why does it have to be that school?

I'm no expert on what makes a good school a "good school", but to me I would care more about your knowledge and experience than the source of would-be knowledge and experience.

College is way too expensive in the states to be merely a "checkmark", oh nononono. It's a tool you MUST use or else you risk competing with many others for one position available in one particular place....

Absolutely. Still a college drop out, but I hated doing IT work so much. My little proxmox server is as much as I need.

If you're also in the US then you know the schooling is expense. My buddy got his PHD in pharmaceuticals and cost him 170k.

• Brohoof 1

On 2013-10-22 at 4:44 AM, LED Dasher said:

are "encouraged" by their parents

If their parents also did college, and it was a good decision, then it is probably a good decision.

A lot of people generally fall into that trap, especially in the US from what I hear. High School itself doesn't do a very good job in helping you find what you want to pursue, so it really just depends on the person themselves. Hell, I changed my mind on what I wanted to study three times, before I found something I was happy with.