Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New to MLP and on the fence about it.

TheKoalaNextDoor

Hi. A couple of friends introduced me to MLP, trying to convert me to brony-ism. I love watching cartoons targeted for younger age groups (power rangers: Dino-thunder, digimon, ect.) but I had never looked at something that, in my mind, was targeted for younger girls. I watched a few episodes with them, found them entertaining, picked some "favorite" characters (pinkie pie and rareity) but i'm not really sure if i want to get too deep into it. Does anyone want to explain just why MLP: friendship is magic is so great? Show me the pros and cons of being a brony, and explain why you became one? As i said, i'm on the fence, and i feel i could just as easily burn all of my bridges with MLP as become a brony.

Pros: Ponies and this site :D.

Cons: WHAT? THERE ARE NO CONS TO LOVING MLP :angry:.

In all seriousness, I just love the show cuz it's entertaining.

The characters are more well developed in this cartoon than in most television shows!

The animation is awesome!

The references!

It's fun to watch. That's all there is to it. You don't need to be a brony to enjoy the show.

Edited by PinkieDaShy

It's a great show. Not much more to it than that, besides it having a big and fantastic communities. They have Brony conventions at this point, so it's gotta be good.

If has to do with compromising your masculinity, then you just kind of get past that. In the end, the fact that the show is about candy colored female ponies makes it just as girly as the Powerpuff Girls, and people have no problem admitting to liking that show, right?

Also, Craig McCracken is Lauren Faust's husband. Automatic win points right there. :D

Wow! So many replies in so little time. After watching the first handful of episodes, and getting to know the characters a bit better, i think i can safely say that there are worse things than being a brony. Consider me part of the herd! Also, re-evaluated my fav. characters.

3. Rareity

2. Pinkie Pie

1. FLUTTERSHY.

Fluttershy is just so quietly, adorably shy. My heart just melts whenever she talks!

• Brohoof 1

Wow! So many replies in so little time. After watching the first handful of episodes, and getting to know the characters a bit better, i think i can safely say that there are worse things than being a brony. Consider me part of the herd! Also, re-evaluated my fav. characters.

3. Rareity

2. Pinkie Pie

1. FLUTTERSHY.

Fluttershy is just so quietly, adorably shy. My heart just melts whenever she talks!

Yey! Posted Image

And of course there are many replies! It's a pony community! Here everypony are nice to everypony!

Welcome to our family Posted Image I promise your time here with us will be awesome.Posted Image

Edited by Jokuc

Glad to see that you've sttled upon the correct choice for best pony. ;)

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll find this place to be a bastion of kindness that is largely unmatched on the internet. Here's hoping that you decide to stick around! :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad you're considering it! It's time we change normal conceptions of what people should like based on demographics. We don't need to fall into a neat specific demographic to like something. Especially when it has legitimately good content and artwork.

I'mma go out on a limb here and assume you are from a westernized culture such as my own: Canada

Some preachers I've heard have observed that westerners such as myself tend to "compartmentalize" every part of our lives. Use this to your advantage.

You can easily go from being a typical brony online to say, a typical mechanic at work. Psychologist have proven that people act differently in different situations. this is how an extroverted captain of a sports team can function in a lecture hall. This is also how you can keep your non- brony friends; what they don't know won't hurt them.

To me, MLP is a nice change from the usual "grimdark" and "Serious Business" kinda stuff that guys my age (especially myself) tend to fill their heads with.

Besides, being a brony doesn't prohibit you from watching something "normal for your age and gender." For instance, I watched the GCI Beowulf movie last night, and then went on to Equestria Daily when it was over. Different situations, different dispositions.

another way to assuage your discomfort with harmony is to familiarize yourself with some "fan theories" around the show. Some examples would be "Tyrant Celestia" "Rainbow Dash's sexuality" the list goes on. Know your meme is a good place to find these "theories."

Be warned, doing so may change your perception of certain characters in ways that turn an innocent show scarring!