Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Because you watched "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"

Rinkitty

Sooo~, I've been watching a lot of shows on Netflix, including MLP. The magical imps working at Netflix have seen my viewing habits, and have suggested shows that I might like to watch.

"Hey Rinku! We've noticed that you're quite the fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! Here's a lollipop, and some shows you might like! Now, be a good girl, and maybe Santy Claus will give you that Fluttershy plushie you've been asking for~!"

Oooookay~...

Leap Frog, Lalaloopsy, Tinker Bell, Pinky...Dinky Doo, B-Barbie... What the heck??

Do the folks at Netflix honestly think that MLP: FiM is crafted for 2-year-olds in mind who aren't even able to differentiate quality programming from utter garbage? I mean, I know the show is intended for kids, but come on! It's more SpongeBob caliber, not freakin' Barbie!! I really shouldn't be bothered by this, but I am, and I can't help it. Please tell me that I'm not the only one slightly bothered by this!!

...That will be all.

• Brohoof 13

You know it's not really the same thing and this is more of an opposite effect, but I was on youtube and it recommended me to watch Rainbow Dash's Hot minute because I watched 9/11 Tribute

I'm slightly bothered by this but not much. I feel like my little pony has more in common with adventure time rather then those mentioned.

I guess it's just some program that thinks you're younger then you are, I still think it should rather recommend something a little bit similar to MLP. I guess they should make an exception for my little pony, it's probably some simple program so I doubt they would.

• Brohoof 3

I would be pretty bothered by it, since just because we watch a girls cartoon does not mean that we should be treated different than the way we was treated before.

I wouldn't consider Friendship is Magic a "girl's cartoon". Yeah, the source material was originally intended for young girls, but the writers handle it so well, even young boys and men can enjoy. It's just another cartoon. It shouldn't be labeled.

Edited by Rinku
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't consider Friendship is Magic a "girl's cartoon". Yeah, the source material was originally intended for young girls, but the writers handle it so well, even young boys and men can enjoy. It's just another cartoon. It shouldn't be labeled.

Not really trying to label it, even though Netflix is doing it.

The likely reason why MLP is grouped with those other shows because of the rating.

MLP is naturally rated TV-Y due to the nature of the show while others you'd be more use to are rated much higher. It's not necessarily Netflix 's fault. It's just the suggestions based on the rating and the similarities much like how it would be on YouTube after you click on a video. Other videos similar to it would appear.

I actually like it, it made me watch the Care Bears movies. Anyone else here a fan of the old Care Bears with Dark-Heart and Spirit? 

I'll admit; that villain was actually cool.
Edited by Goodra
  • Brohoof 3

The likely reason why MLP is grouped with those other shows because of the rating.

MLP is naturally rated TV-Y due to the nature of the show while others you'd be more use to are rated much higher. It's not necessarily Netflix 's fault. It's just the suggestions based on the rating and the similarities much like how it would be on YouTube after you click on a video. Other videos similar to it would appear.

I'll admit; that villain was actually cool.

That's another problem I have. I think TV-Y is an Kind of an inappropriate rating for the show. There's cartoon violence all throughout the show, akin to Looney Tunes violence. I think Y7 is a more suitable rating, but I guess the American rating system knows best...

Edited by Rinku
  • Brohoof 1

MLP really has a lot more in common with the cartoon I grew up with in the 90's than most of the garbage being turned out today but because it is little girls are the "target audience" and Netflicks software sees that and only that it recommends other shows where little girls are the "target audience". We all know that while Lauren Faust didn't know that a bunch of teenage and adult men would start watching it she did intend the show for more than just little girls it still has that reputation.

• Brohoof 2

That's another problem I have. I think TV-Y is an Kind of an inappropriate rating for the show. There's cartoon violence all throughout the show, akin to Loony Tunes violence. I think Y7 is a more suitable rating, but I guess the American rating system knows best...

Hmmm...

MLP can be a bit edgy at times, but it's usually just slapstick comedy with Fluttershy snapping the Bear's neck being the only exception. The rating is correct for the most part.

• Brohoof 3

I really am bothered by this. You can create profiles under one name, so I did so under my sister. The next time I opened Netflix on my PS3, it was a Netflix for kids just because I watched MLP. You can switch between kids and original, but I was even told that the mature content was too high when I was trying to watch Breaking Bad one time.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm...

MLP can be a bit edgy at times, but it's usually just slapstick comedy with Fluttershy snapping the Bear's neck being the only exception. The rating is correct for the most part.

The episode, "Feeling Pinkie Keen" begs to differ.

Maybe it's because of My Little Pony's roots. 

Think of it. My Little Pony is in the category of little girls shows. So, this leads to the conclusion that because Netflix was programed to search for shows in specific categories after you watch a certain show in that category multiple times. 

Here's what I think the program code could be in a nutshell

if(age<12 or age>2)

query=search programs with age criteria

I'd have to agree it is a little creepy, since MLP:FIM is slightly more mature than those shows that were shown on your Netflix. 

• Brohoof 1

The episode, "Feeling Pinkie Keen" begs to differ.

Once again, slapstick

It's completely harmless when it's used like this because it's just lighthearted comedy like Looney Toons. 

Edited by Goodra
  • Brohoof 2

Once again, slapstick

It's completely harmless when it's used like this because it's just lighthearted comedy like Looney Toons. 

Yes, and Looney Tunes isn't rated TV-Y. That's my argument.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, and Looney Tunes isn't rated TV-Y. That's my argument.

Yes, but this one is considerably toned down with certain moments being the exception. MLP is quite the edgy show still qualifying for the Y rating though.

It's been my experience that Netflix never gets any of it's suggestions correct. They don't have most of their movies categorized properly and some of the descriptions are so horribly incorrect I don't think that they've even heard of the show/movie prior to writing the description. I usually just laugh at it.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, but this one is considerably toned down with certain moments being the exception. MLP is quite the edgy show still qualifying for the Y rating though.

I don't believe so, personally. I might be pushing the barrel, (what kind of metaphor is that??) but I think it's rated TV-Y just because of it's association with the MLP franchise. It's completely different from previous generations. It's practically a great big reboot, turning MLP into something completely different. Like I've said, it's more akin to SpongeBob, not previous iterations of MLP and such.

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe so, personally. I might be pushing the barrel, (what kind of metaphor is that??) but I think it's rated TV-Y just because of it's association with the MLP franchise. It's completely different from previous generations. It's practically a great big reboot, turning MLP into something completely different. Like I've said, it's more akin to SpongeBob, not previous iterations of MLP and such.

It's possible; especially given since the first few episodes weren't really that heavy into the slapstick. Plus the majority of MLP isn't like that or isn't heavily focused on that sort of Spongebob like "device" where it's focused more on comedy while MLP is more focused on  slice of life or adventure.

I find that kind of funny, but also I little bit of a "wait, what?" kinda moment.  On the one hand, I often take a laugh at Netflix for its often dismal selection of movies and its odd filters, but on the other hand, it does bother me a little that they're so out of the loop to think that MLP:FIM would still be considered just a little girls' show.  I mean, surely somebody in the Netflix staff has a brony friend, or at least knows of bronies?

But still, i can see where they're coming from.  It was and still mostly is (at least, that's what I'm assuming, as I've only watched through episode 8 of season 1, so please correct me if I'm wrong) a TV show made for young girls, so it makes sense that they (Netflix) would classify it as such.  However, automatically restricting your Netflix account to "kid-friendly" content just for watching FIM is just a little bit extreme.  Just a little.  A little bit.

Edited by MrPandaa

Don't feel to bad about it, as annoying as it is, thats society at work for you. 

Pinks, light purples, and colorful bits. Little to no violence and lots of trouble solving = girls show. for LITTLE girls expressly.

but 

blues, bright reds, deep purples, and greens. Extreme violence, lack of trouble solving without it, and take control attitude = boys show for ANY age

anything else is an in between so/so field

No really.. I was looking at kids shows recently and noticed, especially with the hasbro lineups, that theres a clear pattern in color use, theme, and design... past shows included...

I mean, GiJoe and transformers

vs

Jem and the holograms, and MLP

notice the themes and colors used...

GiJoe has heavy primary use of blues, greens, and red colors. Lots of violence to solve the issues regardless. They need lots of fighting.

Transformers the same..

Jem and the holograms and MLP both have excessive use of pinks, light purple colors, as well as a good mix of other varied colors blended in and very pacifistic themes where they avoid violence and work out issues in peaceful manners.

Apparently even Hasbro execs see the show (MLP) as being strictly for "little girls" despite their largest income from the series is the adult fan base built of both male and female groups. (based off a recent comment from some of the Hasbro top shots)

At this point the higher end merch for bronies/pegasisters outweighs the kiddie stuff 10 to 1. And I'm talking licensed, not even counting the custom stuff Hasbro isn't getting a share from.

Edited by GrimCW