Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are rainbow manes bad for OCs? Opinions?

Sugar Pea

I've hear the arguement from many people that rainbow manes are a huge NO for OCs. Why though?

They say that it would be ripping off Rainbow Dash, and that rainbow manes are unattractive in general.

Exibit A

28l56ba.png

I found this on a site that gives opinions on OCs. http://mlp-gbu.tumblr.com/page/6

Here is the "surprisingly accurate" video:

I wouldn't think it's a bad thing if it didn't look exactly like Rainbow and didn't share her personality and abilities, but overall...

I don't think they are bad as they make them out to be.

Do you think so too?

Edited by Nature Of Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 1

Well I think it's kinda bad... Cause if you think about it the only reason Rainbow Dash has a rainbow mane is because she's Rainbow Dash, it's kind of what sets her apart from everypony else. Having a bunch of ponies with rainbow manes kinda ruins the point of it.

That's just my opinion though.

• Brohoof 3

Well, depends on the context in which it is used.

Like, I've seen OCs with the same rainbow mane and mane-style as RD. 

That's lame and unoriginal, I'm sorry.

If they can get creative with a Rainbow Mane though, and make it belong to that OC, that's fine with me.

Basically, if they can make it look original. :D

• Brohoof 1

I see no problem with it, personally.

Nopony can tell ANYPONY else what they can and can't do with their OC's design. They don't have the right.

If it has a rainbow mane, so? If it's an Alicorn, so?

Everyone is entitled to design their own character however they want, if somepony doesn't like it then they should just move on.

• Brohoof 1

Well I will say it is a bit overreacted on, because if it isnt a rainbow lookalike it can work.

However the rainbow mane is also a bit specific in what colors work with it as well.

However it can work. I know like one or two OCD with rainbow manes which look quite good actually.

It all depends on how it's used though.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow manes tend to be a copy of RD's brilliant glory!!! (LOL no) Therefore, they tend to be unoriginal. However, there Is a difference between a multicolored mane and a rainbow mane.

Rainbow manes can work out, but unless they have the right color scheme... they tend to clash.

I suppose I'm kind of passive about it. I don't see it being a tragically important issue worth condemning people who just want to make themselves a character for the fun of it. Sure the blatant ripoffs are annoying, and I appreciate when folks go the extra mile to be creative and original, but really to me it's just a matter of whatever makes them happy. In which case, good for them, I'm not going to shove the banlist of OC traits down their throat for it.

If they can be creative and original with it, then that's fine. I don't find it as a big deal to me, but you know being creative and original can be easy if you don't ripoff anything for your character especially a rainbow mane.

Well, nobody likes OCs that are just recolors of the original ponies. Even worse it they DON'T recolor them. Like, imagine someone taking Pinkie Pie and saying "Oh, this is my new OC, Cottoncandy Dreams. She's an adorable earth pony that likes everything pink and happy." Same thing with Rainbow Dash.

The only rainbow manes I don't actually mind are the incomplete ones or the ones with an alternate color scheme (and by that I mean any color scheme except the full rainbow and the greyscale rainbow. That's Daring Do's).

I see no problem with it, personally.

Nopony can tell ANYPONY else what they can and can't do with their OC's design. They don't have the right.

If it has a rainbow mane, so? If it's an Alicorn, so?

Everyone is entitled to design their own character however they want, if somepony doesn't like it then they should just move on.

I see your point, but an OC is an Original Character, and if people have freedom of choice, ripping off of other OCs or characters wouldn't actually make it an OC at all, just a cheap copy.

Given 99% of the characters in the show are ripoffs of one another anyways, I don't see where its going with this...

While I agree people could be more original, they aren't doing really much different than what the shows animators have already done anyways.

The best original I'd seen (I don't go looking for them) was one that actually had a different coat pattern too. She had a light tannish coat, with a whiter muzzle and little brown marks on either side. With brown ears and a very light orange looking mane.

Most ponies, OC's or otherwise, are very 2 tone... just 2 basic colors and thats it...

few exceptions exist to this besides rainbow dash, and RD takes it to an extreme in her mane only.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

Well, there is a background pony that also has a rainbow mane. I think it looks a little out of place to be honest. Rainbow Dash's mane is kind of her trademark feature. A Rainbow mane seems kind of weird, even for Dashie. It an OC is done well enough, I suppose I wouldn't mind a rainbow mane. It would still feel a little weird though.

I suppose a rainbow mane OC isn't so bad. I prefer it to Alicorn OCS, which there seem to be an awful lot of.

Other characters can have 'rainbow' manes, just use alternate colours and hair styles.

post-20017-0-94738300-1385675458.png

This is Holly Dash in the show, i think she is actually one of the animators OC I believe.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

you can recolor any ponies from the show if you cant draw a decent hairstyle but dont just rip them out of the show and call them your oc 

this also counts for backround ponies you can recolor them but if you just take them out of the show with no edits other than a new name yea thats being cheap

Well I personally wouldn't encourage the use of rainbow manes for OCs, unless they are used and designed in a way that's nonidentical to Rainbow Dash's own mane. Because that is pretty much her trademark after all. However I've seen OCs that have actually pulled off a rainbow mane really well surprisingly. It just has to be down in a unique manner. 

Other characters can have 'rainbow' manes, just use alternate colours and hair styles.

attachicon.gifHolly_Dash.png

This is Holly Dash in the show, i think she is actually one of the animators OC I believe.

^This is a great example! :P

I don't believe that rainbow manes should be strictly taboo.

Just as long as you put in the effort to make it NOT look like Rainbow Dash.

But I can understand not liking the idea at all if you subscribe the theory that Rainbow Dash is like from some exclusive rainbow-haired bloodline. I don't, but I've heard it before and that could get under someone's skin.

• Brohoof 1

In and of themselves, I don't think Rainbow Manes are a negative thing or even exclusive to Rainbow Dash as far as ideas go. Little girls have been coloring rainbow and rainbow-haired animals before Rainbow Dash and without ever seeing Rainbow Dash.

However, I think that many people overcompensate with their OCs (in every fandom I've ever been in!) by making them flashier, stronger, smarter, and more without paying attention to overall theme or character. They wind up messy, incoherent, ironically boring and predictable, or a pixel short of a rip-off without anything to distinguish them. The more glam your character has (and rainbow is glam) that's out-of-proportion with development and coherence, the more they risk being tossed into this category.

I personaly can not make a pony with a rainbow main properly, without the pony being unique.  Most of the times, I just think of RD, but I am no expert in this stuff. I think it is possible to make a non-RD looking with a rainbow main, but it will take lots of trial and error.

Well if your Rainbow isn't exactly the same as RD's it should be fine. I guess it depends if you mean like a classically colored rainbow or just a lot of color stripes. Personally I would aim for something further from the mane 6, but it's your OC, do what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Might I bring up this?

Unnamed_Pegasus_Stallion_1_ID_S3E12.png

So I think anyone who says that rainbow manes are only for Rainbow Dash is full of crap. While it might not be common, even the creators have done this. On top of the fact that he kinda looks just like RD.

I think that rainbow manes are fine for an OC, provided that you're not ripping off RD (light blue body, rainbow-based cutie mark, pegasus, etc.) Also, while I think you can get away without one, a reason would also be nice. It's important to note that rainbow-maned ponies, while they exist, aren't very common. So while I don't wanna think that there should be stipulations on how someone colors their pony, context and canon are also important to keep in mind when creating an OC.

Unless you just want an avatar. In which case, go nuts.

Edited by Clover Heart