Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Get Off The Scale!

Sugar Pea

“Get Off The Scale!

You are beautiful. Your beauty, just like your capacity for life, happiness, and success, is immeasurable. Day after day, countless people across the globe get on a scale in search of validation of beauty and social acceptance.

Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humor, and contagious smile. Get off the scale because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perseverance when challenged in life.

It’s true, the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful!” 

- Steve Maraboli 

May this be a little something to those who feel they have to be perfect to live in society. Truth is, it doesn't matter what you look like or how you look at yourself. Be yourself. Be you. Live you. Scales cannot measure what you have to offer to the world.

• Brohoof 10

Yes, there are people that are overweight but there are also plenty of people mostly women who keep saying they are fat when they are at a healthy weight.  I myself know that I need to lose some extra pounds but I am doing it for my health not for anyone's approval.

Yes, there are people that are overweight but there are also plenty of people mostly women who keep saying they are fat when they are at a healthy weight.  I myself know that I need to lose some extra pounds but I am doing it for my health not for anyone's approval.

Exactly, don't do it for the approval of others. Do it for you. :)

Edited by Kitteh Cakes
  • Brohoof 2

This sounds very nice.
"Be yourself and shake of the bonds of society." "Scales cannot measure, what you have to offer the world" " It doesnt matter, what you look like or how you look at yourself"
It sounds perfect... almost too perfect to be true or good for you doesnt it? Because my opinion on this is, that it is.

Shaking off the bounds of society and abolishing the social standards of beauty, worth and other things, that arent measured by a mechanical scale, but by society, means becoming a social outcast, which means being alone and dying alone, which is one of the biggest fears of the human being. Dying alone. Therefore does every human being strive to become a better human, a better part of society and more importantly, a accepted member of society. Because society predestines what your life will be like. If you are considered ugly by society, you are and will be looked at as "ugly" by everyone and you will live the life of a ugly person. If you are considered "unacceptable" by society you will live that life, wether you want to or not and it doesnt matter, wether you endure or like having that life, or break on the hard wall of trying to climb the ranks, standards and scales of society. I think, that you should try being as much of yourself as is good for you, because as soon as it becomes considered *dangerous* or *unacceptable* by society will your life get a lot harder. Human beings need human society and acceptance to be happy. They need another person to tell them, that they are beautiful, nice or smart. If you tell yourself, that you are beautiful, nice or smart, does it sound like you are lying to yourself. As you said above:

it doesn't matter what you look like or how you look at yourself.

The only way to be happy as a social outcast is if you have managed to get rid of the fear to be and die alone, which is hard to say the least. ( Or finding other social outcasts, but thats a different fairy tale)
I hope you guys dont mind my rather negative rant on this subject, but i have made some experiences trying to "be myself" and they have ended in a train wreck, consisting of my current self.

Edited by Guest

Man, I really agree with this one. There are girls on my school who are just waay to skinny and they still try to lose pounds. It's just so unhealthy. I try to talk them out of it, but as I'm the only one who tries it doesn't really help :(

I agree, however let it be said that if you are not satisfied with your appearance or your position in life, recognize what you can do to become healthier and happier and strive for those goals. Don't just accept to be something less than you are capable of being and ignore the reality staring you in the face.

• Brohoof 2

That was an awesome text and it's true, I try being myself and I know I'm not perfect but I'm me.

My weight is at normal on a BMI scale so that's good.

Everybody should just be themselves but loosing weight is never a bad thing though. It's better for yourself in the long run.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

My weight is at normal on a BMI scale so that's good.

Maybe, maybe not the BMI scale is extremely outdated and flawed because it factors in height and weight but it does not factor in things like muscle mass, bone density or body type. Muscle weighs significantly more than fat does which can make someone who has very little body fat but alot of muscle still be considered overweight or even obese simply because of some arbitrary number on a scale that is grossly over simplified and inaccurate. This one post I found on the internet is quite the interesting read on the subject

http://jamesarr.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/superman-is-a-big-fat-slob/

• Brohoof 2

It would be better to do it for yourself in moderation, and always be yourself. Some people try to lose weight or gain weight to be accepted in a social status, but I think it's better to be happy with who you are.

While I see what you're trying to say, it is healthier to be of a normal weight. It can be a serious problem (and possibly life-threatening) for some people. You should try to lower your weight if you're overweight or raise your weight if you're under but don't get discouraged if you're having a hard time. It isn't easy.