Yellow Diamond

S04:E07 - Bats!  

401 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Even though Applejack is by far my favorite pony, I still found myself agreeing with her for more than just that reason.  It's pretty heavily implied that the vampire fruit bats are like a swarm of locusts - they consume everything they can, then move on.  Now the Equestrian economy is not really fleshed out, but it's also heavily implied that apples (and various apple products like cider and pies) are the only source of income for the Apple family AND that Sweet Apple Acres is the only source of apples for all of Ponyville. 

So now enter a swarm of creatures that will ultimately ruin the Apple family, with the only promise being "bigger and better" apple trees next year.  Now, I don't know anything about how it works in Equestria, but here on Earth it takes approximately FIVE YEARS for an apple tree to start producing fruit.  So if the entire Apple family orchard is decimated by the bats, it'll take five years to get those new trees.  And that's IF any of the seeds actually sprout - remember, they're not being buried, so birds and other animals can freely grab them.  Yeah, the Apple family will probably have plenty of fruit from their current trees once they produce more apples, but what is the Apple family supposed to do in the meantime? 

In this episode, as well as in the previous one, Fluttershy really seems to have a complete disrespect for her friends.  In "Power Ponies", she doesn't get mad when her friends are in trouble.  And now, she shows a callous disregard for the Apple family's sole source of income.  It doesn't even seem to register in her mind that the orchards are important to Applejack and her family.  Conversely, Applejack freely gives up a prize-winning apple in order to save Fluttershy.

Fluttershy's idea to create a sanctuary was fine, but the problem was HERE AND NOW, and not something that could be shunted aside while they built a sanctuary.  The issue had to be addressed quickly, and Applejack's method was really the only way of handling it at the time.

Edited by Suzaku
  • Brohoof 2

Okay, I just rewatched the episode. Felt better now. Better than just good, that is. Hey, it's difficult to watch something with that many commercial breaks... Ruins my focus.

And I spotted one detail, not sure who else noticed, but...

...a Bats-Cutie Mark.

FlutterbatCM.PNG

Whoah, what?

Clearly, I don't look at the ponies' flank's enough, that is awesome. :o

I've got to say I really, really hope Flutterbat is now a thing mostly because I think Fluttershy needed something new. Going on to season four, many aspects of the characters have already been explored meaning that new things should be introduced as time goes on so that the writers aren't striking the same notes.

After all, Fluttershy is an animal caretaker, shy, and a bad flier. (Sure she also does knitting... well Extreme Knitting, but that seems to just be a comic thing). Well those points have already been highlighted in several episodes, either as the main focus or as lesser aspects. So adding new aspects and arcs keeps her interesting and provides new ideas to be explored later on. 

I must admit, as much as I usually groan at vampire fics (pony or otherwise) I really do think the idea of Flutters now being a G-rated vampire to be an amusing concept and I'd like to see if it is taken anywhere. 

• Brohoof 1

Ok, so... I will now begin my review, thoughts, ect on this wonderful episode. :D

First off, seeing Applejack just panicing and worrying of the apples reminds me of the things that I worry and panic over sometimes. This episodes morale I liked, though I think it could've been a little different, or better I really mean to say. It just felt a little "blah" for me. But, at least it kind of goes into something different like going into the subject of something new: The Vampire Bats, or Vampire Fruit Bats- oh, you know what I mean!

The things that happened and other aspects of this episode I felt were really unique and different from any other MLP episode. Sadly, this I can't really elaborate on but surely just by watching it you felt as if there was something different, or unique, or even something that stands out in this episode that MLP sometimes can't do like this one.

The song in this episode... Oh, my, gosh, I thought it was fantastic and I really love Applejack singing in this. It was just... AWESOME! And I like songs that have that vampire like theme or tone to it, despite me not really being into anything like vampires.

And so, this concludes my review for this wonderful episode. (Though I think I could've added more things to this review, but I couldn't... not sure why though. :P)

• Brohoof 1

This was another interesting episode that was more directed toward bronies

I think the show is slanting more towards bronies so probably more episodes like that will be coming.

I enjoyed this episode, another enjoyable slice of life that makes the show what it is. and yes Love Futterbat.

BATS! was a fun episode. Not going to make my favorites list any time in the future, but I'm glad I saw it. It had a really enjoyable story, some great Pinkie Pie moments, and one of the better songs to come from this season.

If there's one problem I have, it's that the twist came out of absolutely nowhere, and it did an awful job illustrating the episode's moral. So, the reason we shouldn't let our friends rope us into anything we don't like is because it could end up turning us into a vampire? I think the writers may have gotten a little bit lost on the trail between Point A and Point B there.

But, I'm not going to complain too much about that, since the moral itself is kind of a good one, even if it is poorly illustrated.

So, yeah, all in all, chalk up another victory for season 4, and another feather in Merriwether Williams's cap... apparently.

Gotta agree, this episode is a clear hit for Season 4. And Flutterbat was amazing -somehow they managed to make her both extremely cute and quite sexy at the same time. I was duly impressed.

They sure packed in the references to previous episodes, though. I picked up on references to:

- Swarm of the Century (infestation, Twilight's "Don't eat that" spell)

- Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 (cider)

- May the Best Pet Win (duet)

- Stare Master (the Stare)

- Sleepless in Ponyville ("The witching hour!")

- Applebuck Season (applebucking)

- Family Appreciation Day (sepia-toned flashback)

- Secret of My Excess (transformation and loss of identity and memory)

- Bridle Gossip (prejudicial assumptions)

There are probably more that I'll recognize when I watch it again.

• Brohoof 3

just because it hasn't shown up yet doesn't mean it won't. However, along that line, I have to agree with someone who posted earlier (can't find the post) who stated that there's way too many sub-plots going on at once. The keys, flutterbat, pony of shadows, equestria games, etc. it's getting too much.

I'm not sure you understand what a sub-plot is. Most of those you listed aren't ongoing sub-plots, they're all just episodic plots. And seeing as every one is resolved by episode's end, none are going on at the same time.

Currently, there is one overarching plot: The keys, and even that's less a plot and more a hanging mystery right now. But there aren't any sub-plots occurring simultaneously.

I'm not the biggest fan of Merriwether Williams, so I was pleasantly surprised with how this episode turned out.

(At first I was confused as to why it credited Meghan McCarthy as the writer, but she confirmed that was a mistake on her twitter.)

She seems to be getting better as a writer for My Little Pony, since there has been continuity in this episode-which, in my opinion is one of her greatest flaws as a writer from previous episodes (MMDW, SAYS, PYHD).

For example; Applebuck Season is a main plot point and it is explained why Big Macintosh isn't there to help AJ, Fluttershy's stare is utilized, and I felt that Applejack and Fluttershy's conflict felt pretty natural without their negative traits being overly exaggerated.

At first I was caught off guard by the rest of the cast siding with AJ, but when I thought about it-I realized that her friends are concerned about her because the Apples are her family's entire livelihood-so it made sense in that regard.

Once the Mane Five and Spike realize what happened, Applejack expresses remorse for the way she treated Fluttershy and apologized (something I've been hoping for since MMDW).

The end is still a bit cynical, which I normally criticize for a show like MLP, but it seems to fit in with the tone for this Season and I only hope its followed up on.

In this episode, as well as in the previous one, Fluttershy really seems to have a complete disrespect for her friends. In "Power Ponies", she doesn't get mad when her friends are in trouble. And now, she shows a callous disregard for the Apple family's sole source of income. It doesn't even seem to register in her mind that the orchards are important to Applejack and her family. Conversely, Applejack freely gives up a prize-winning apple in order to save Fluttershy.

Fluttershy's idea to create a sanctuary was fine, but the problem was HERE AND NOW, and not something that could be shunted aside while they built a sanctuary. The issue had to be addressed quickly, and Applejack's method was really the only way of handling it at the time.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Fluttershy has always been quite consistent in putting the animals (all animals except fully-grown dragons) first, above all else. She wants to make sure all animals are treated with kindness, and she tries to convince her friends that the bats have just as much right to life as they do.

Her point, I believe, was that quick and practical solutions can do much more harm than ones that think further ahead.

(Chalk up another episode reference, btw - Winter Wrap-Up, for both this point and Pinkie's random singing.)

I'm surprised that there was no butthurt over the use of "sin" in the song when AppleJack refers to the vampire bats.

Overall, it was a good episode.

I think most people know enough to know that "as mean as sin" is an expression sometimes used in the south.

That was amazing! Easily my favorite episode of the season and it had one of the best songs in the series. I really have no complaints. It was simply a fun episode. 10/10  :D

Edited by Rivendare

Well, that was an episode.

I can firmly say I am slightly disappointed, despite the fact I had no idea what it would be about till today (I am good at avoiding spoilers). I mean, the beginning had a good conflict going on, even though I found it weird how halloween'y the song was, and then I though they were going to go the route that changing the bats diet would have a unexpected effect on the ecosystem, or they would start starving, or something like that. Instead, Fluttershy is a bat for some reason...

I guess It feed the bat pony lovers, but, really? I didn't even get why they needed her to stare down the bats whilst they were all staying in place eating the apples. That, and when they undid the spell, by the logic explained, wouldn't the Bat-ness fly off Fluttershy, into the mirror, and back on Fluttershy? Or at least bounce around and hit some random pony.

However, I shall conclude this rantation by saying the episode should have gone more of the route started, as the entire plot seemingly flipped into something different... like Fluttershy, heheh... The whole episode also felt like it was originally intended to be a Halloween thing, at least once we were in halfway.

That's the thing though taking into account the normal season airing date around late September the episode would probably end up coinciding with the Saturday before or after Halloween. because of this you could argue the episode was focusing less on the conflict and more on bringing about flutterbat. 

Had season 4 not been pushed back and this episode aired around Halloween I think most people would accept the fact the plot took a more darker turn so as a result I'm not too fussed about the beginning as it was clear what that main focus on the episode was to give a halloween approach to it much like Heart's warming Eve was primarily focused on being a Christmas style tale, it's obviously no coincidence they got Merriweather  to do both episodes of course

I still feel that fluttershy could have questioned Twilight spell and maybe reference Swarm of the Century where a similar spell went wrong. It would have made her moral on not letting peer pressure get to you more reasonable as we didn't actually see the Vampire fruit bats affected in a negative way and apart from being blindsided by flutterbat which not even fluttershy  could predict

I enjoyed the episode, but the song was mediocre, easily the worst song in the entire series I think. This song and "Heart's Strong as Horses" imply that the song quality in this show is going downhill, unfortunately.

To be honest I disagree with your statement, yeah this song and The CMC's song may not seem like much compared to the other songs in the past seasons, but I enjoyed both Bats! and "Hearts Strong as Horses", they had their own creative feel to them and I can't stop humming or singing them to myself, the Bats! song reminded of a Tim Burton/Danny Elfman style song.