Yellow Diamond

S04:E07 - Bats!  

401 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Okay, I just rewatched the episode. Felt better now. Better than just good, that is. Hey, it's difficult to watch something with that many commercial breaks... Ruins my focus.

And I spotted one detail, not sure who else noticed, but...

...a Bats-Cutie Mark.

post-15746-0-80269100-1388259935_thumb.png

Edited by Tender Voice
  • Brohoof 10

Okay, I just rewatched the episode. Felt better now. Better than just good, that is. Hey, it's difficult to watch something with that many commercial breaks... Ruins my focus.

And I spotted one detail, not sure who else noticed, but...

...a Bats-Cutie Mark.

attachicon.gifFlutterbatCM.PNG

Nice catch. I only saw it the third time!

Bats! Review

By Integrity (Just call me Jacob)

My reviews are based on before and after impressions. This is my first review so 'plz dont haet'

Before Impression: 7.5

I gotta say, I thought this would be a normal episode. I didn't see that much in it. It wasn't powerful in the main storyline, and since there was a song, I thought it would be a bit better. The story seemed pretty good, too.

After Impression: 8.0

This was a great episode. I'm going to guess Meghan McCarthy wrote this one. She has been a pretty good writer. Nonetheless, the story was good, the song was great, and, well, Flutterbat. The animation was great as usual.

Like I said, this was my first review. Please don't give negative reviews unless you have a point to make.

P.S. Flutterbat.

This was a great episode. I'm going to guess Meghan McCarthy wrote this one. She has been a pretty good writer. Nonetheless, the story was good, the song was great, and, well, Flutterbat. The animation was great as usual.

Nope, it was Merriweather Williams. Not that any of us would know that from the opening credits.

Edited by immblueversion

That one was good, great animation and the jokes were great. (I love how Twilight explained the predicament in a digitized grid.)

However, it kind of disturbed me a bit. Fluttershy underwent an involuntary transformation, that was both physical and mental, at no fault of her own. She didn't even want to be in the circumstance that resulted in it. I guess I'm just a tad sensitive about Fluttershy's well being.

• Brohoof 2

I disliked this episode for a couple reasons

1. The song was kinda meh in my opinion

2. everyone turned on Fluttershy when she was the expert on animals and had a perfectly logical idea

3. I greatly dislike how Fluttershy basically was transformed into a bat through hypnosis the spell bounced off of the bat -_-.....

4. random pony transformations into different species is my least favorite head canon, giving a pony wings or a horn is fine but transforming the species entirely is kinda bullsh*t in my opinion

5. Rainbow Dash was willing to help for cider than she was willing to help her friend

though I did like how fluttershys solution was the right one all along and no one listened to her, not even the smart one :|

also apples grow really fast in Equestria apparently 

• Brohoof 1

Well while i woudln'lt put this one my favs list and probably wont go back to watch it, Hae to admit  it does have some good night silloietes for PMVs. 

My reactions as I watched it.  In order without editing to go back.

apple jack likes apples we must tel this as forces as possible

Song why are you here, your pointlees yoru basically just singing diolouge

OH hi Over a barrel rehash plotline

WEll we all know how Twilight last spell to stop eating went, paraspites anyone

fluttershy's vow i'm like "Since when did you promise this."

Rd contant cider copmlains are annoying

Okay so not "those type of vampires." Oh thank goodness i was worried for a second

hehe well saw that coming kind of. Still kind of a odd way to move the plot along.

OH gee i wonder who is eating the apples i mean us seeing fluttershy eyes for those several seconds was so sudtle

okay that was a funny batman reference i'll give them that.

Well as much as they are trying to make this supsencful im sure even kids would have see that its fluttershy flying around.

ahh that is creepy face right there.

So this episode is where the batpony species thing came from...

Twilight spell backfire haza every fanfictions plot line in a nutshell

So is twilight TV plasma or crystal hehe

fltutershy saying I told you so without saying it

Well message is nice and all but the whole premise was just...odd

Enough with the vampire references we get it. becoming a pain in the neck. Pnn intended.

I don't like the concept of vampires to begin with and as i was watching I smiled when I saw it wasn't blood vampires they were talking about. Though pinkie constaly raving on about fluttershy drinking their blood uagh yet again killing pinkie pie writers..Stop it.

While the lesson is noble the execution I found was kind of a miss fire. 

Edited by BlinkZ

I didn't really like the song. there was something about it that felt off, especially when everybody jumps in against fluttershy.

the inception of vampire ponies was a bit weird but the idea is interesting. I do like how the possibility of flutterbat isn't completely gone. maybe we'll get to see it later on in the series

Finally, an episode with Applejack and Fluttershy as the focal characters! :) It certainly met my expectations too.

I've been keeping a lookout for episodes where the focus is between two of the Mane 6, such as "Feeling Pinkie Keen" for Twilight and Pinkie, "Fall Weathered Friends" for Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and "Green isn't Your Color" for Fluttershy and Rarity.

^That quote above is one more to add to the list.

My favorite moments:

*The song when it contrasts Kind Fluttershy and brighter lighting against Stubborn Applejack and darker lighting. It felt like a good song that came right out of Nightmare Before Christmas

*Twilight using a visual spell to illustrate the revelations about what happened to Fluttershy.

*Did Pinkie pull that flashlight out of her hair with her hair??? She did!

*Whoa, Calm Down, Rainbow Dash! You're more obsessed with cider than I am obsessed with Pasta!  :muffins:

I sure hope we get a key to the mystery box soon, though. We're already 7 episodes into Season 4.

• Brohoof 4

Season 4 fails to disappoint yet again. :) Another great episode that was quite different than what I expected and that is a good thing. Though I am unsure how the 'desire' to be a vampire fruit bat can make you become a vampire pony, that is just overthinking it. This was another fun episode. The humor was great and it was also really nice seeing all of the mane 6 in true form in another episode. The song was also really neat. I loved the style of it.

Overall, I have no major complaints. Another great episode for season 4. :D Keep them coming!

The only thing, the ending. I am REALLY curious about that now. Color me intrigued.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! 176080__UNOPT__safe_pinkie-pie_animated_

I have been waiting for an episode like this. I was hoping Castle Mania was going to satisfy the "spooky" episode niche, however it was very disappointing. Bats! on the other hoof fit it perfectly.

I thought all of the mane six had a great moments, each tapping into the character authentically: Pinkie's moments of suspicion, Hazmat Rarity, Twilight's amazing grid, Applejack's say'n how it is, Dash's cider addiction, and of course Fluttershy's transformation.

I loved the Danny Elfman-esque song as well.

I can go on and on about what I liked, however I will just say that this episode swooped into my top ten favorites of the series.

10/10 This episode almost alone has made Season 4 worth it. It really has given me the reassurance that the show has not ran out of steam. :yay:

Note:

Twilight's grid was something that I never asked for, but now that we have it I love it so much! I know grids are in some many franchises, yet I would like to say (or at least think) that this is another G1 Transformers reference.

post-9526-0-10228400-1388264025_thumb.jpg

The Decepticon Soundwave would use grids sometimes in the way Twilight did in the episode, to show or explain plans.

• Brohoof 6

The song was very Merriwether Williams-esque for a lack of a better word, :)

Good call! https://twitter.com/MMeghanMcCarthy/status/417013283015503872

However, it kind of disturbed me a bit. Fluttershy underwent an involuntary transformation, that was both physical and mental, at no fault of her own. She didn't even want to be in the circumstance that resulted in it. I guess I'm just a tad sensitive about Fluttershy's well being.

Indeed, I hadn't really thought about how Fluttershy might feel toward Twilight after that... forced to use the stare when she didn't want to, and then hit by a powerful spell as a result. Twilight didn't even apologize, did she? >_>

Oh, and here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp4A9rpipYo

Edited by dekutree64
  • Brohoof 2

So apparently this episode was actually written by Merriwether Williams and there was a typo in the credits. Wow I'm normally not a fan of her episodes outside Wonderbolts Acadamy an maybe Hearts Warming Eve. But this was actually a good episode by her.

I loved this ep just due

it well,  has Fluttershy but

any kind of transformation of

the mane six is just fun to watch

and Shy as a Batty like Pony

was cute but also it turned her into

a better flyer I noted and such.   

Seeing the fangs also might be

used for down the line in a ep but

i know a lot of fans will hope of this

for some fics in the coming weeks i hope

also to be reading!

I liked this episode. It was pretty good. It was nothing amazing in my opinion but it wasn't necessarily bad. The song wasn't that catchy but nonetheless, it was a nice duet and the very first duet with Applejack and Fluttershy singing! Fluttershy hadn't even sung in quite a while so it was nice to hear her beautiful singing voice once again. :)

Alicorn Twilight is really starting to warm up to me. I mean I no longer see her as being any different than when she didn't have her wings. Plus that spell she pulled off, the one in which she basically pulled off a Tony Stark with displaying the holographic screen; that was epic! I love how the animation is really improving this season with more of the shading, lighting, and special effects.

And Flutterbat was okay. I definitely prefer this version of her over Flutterhulk. :blink: Far less disturbing. Though the way in which she transformed didn't make any sense. Twilight seemed to be pulling off a hypnosis spell, which later on caused Fluttershy to transform into a batbony; I can't really make any logical sense out of that. Overall, I definitely wasn't expecting Flutterbat. She was okay and she was definitely better than Flutterhulk, but yeah... I'm neutral about her. :P

Pinkie Pie was funny as always. :) But sadly, hardly any of her personality was shown other than her bouncy bimbo side. All the other ponies got to show their interesting personalities here. But Pinkie Pie was once again, shown as nothing more than the clown of the group. :( I just hope we get to see more from her soon. She was hilarious here, especially when she was singing "Fruit bat roundup! Fruit bat roundup!"  :lol: But still, I want the real Pinkie Pie back. :(  Hopefully her new episode coming up will make up for it all! :)

Overall, I give this episode 6/10.

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 2

Well folks, it's that time once again to deliver my thoughts on yet another season 4 episode.

To quote from my Twitter post:

"Overall, this episode was a huge improvement over Power Ponies. I loved it! Flutterbat for the win as well. Cute! (and scary)"

This episode was a huge, huge improvement over Power Ponies and while it was written by Merriwether Williams, I actually enjoyed this episode from start to finish.

The song sequence got my toes tapping (quietly not to wake the whole house up) and really reflected the differences of both Applejack and Fluttershy and how they want to handle the bat infestation. It was a case of Honesty vs Kindness, Applejack wants to get rid of the bats her way and Fluttershy wants to help them out.

Speaking of Fluttershy though, I thought she was great in this episode despite being under pressure from Applejack and the rest of the mane 6, and not forgetting Applejack as well as she also showcased her personality a little more.

I also actually enjoyed the Flutterbat part despite my negative feelings to Flutterhulk as mentioned in the Power Ponies thread last week.

To be honest, she does look cute (and scary) as a bat pony and to see a different side of Flutters with the red eyes and the fangs got me a little bit excited. I can't still get over how cute she is in that form!

Overall, this was a great episode in my books.

• Brohoof 1

liked this episode, but I still have some serious problems with it.

First, no matter what your views on animal welfare may be, pests on a farm are a huge problem. Fluttershy's tenuous justification that the bats would spread seeds and be profitable to the farm in the long-term completely falls apart when you consider A.) How quickly the bats eat the apples, and B.) How slowly trees grow. In the end, I agreed with Applejack the entire time, and found myself echoing, "Stop the bats!"

However, even with that said, "Bats!" was a lot of fun. The song was incredibly catchy, and the cast's varied attempts to draw out the bats showed some great displays of each pony's personality (I chuckled at Rarity's hazmat suit in particular). Flutterbat was certainly unexpected, and overall, the episode was a nice mix of both slice-of-life and adventure elements.

The episode was a bit of a mess at times, but it was a fun mess.

• Brohoof 7

I liked how it got kinda grim and scary after Flutterbat was born. I also thought Pinkie Pie was pretty funny in this episode (as always), I hope we can see more Flutterbat in the future considering she still has her fangs.

• Brohoof 1