Yellow Diamond

S04:E07 - Bats!  

401 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I think Flutterbat is an interesting idea. Since FiM's debut we've gradually seen the introduction of additional pony species.

Gradually, it looks like we might end up adding them all to the group:

Unicorn became Alicorn. Pegasus becomes Thestral (or whatever everyone agrees to call Bat-ponies). All we need now is for Pinkie Pie to become a crystal pony (she already has the postive energy / negative emotion body transformation thing going) and the Mane 6's species exemplar is in balance again.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm after some reflecting, I'd say it was an alright episode. Right when I finished watching it I wasn't too big a fan (though I did like Flutterbat). I just couldn't really get into the episode I suppose. I haven't been as enthusiastic about MLP season 4 as I was the previous seasons, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. However, after reading some posts and statuses here I was reminded of some scenes that actually were pretty great, like the scene with Rarity in that hazmat suit and Pinkie Pie doing her drill thingy :P and that's just to name a few. I think I'll rewatch it again when the HD iTunes version comes out. Maybe it'll be better for me the second time.

Edited by fimdashie

To all you guys saying that Fluttershy is the expert in animals. That didn't mean that everyone should just flock to her side.

Retrospectively Applejack knew a lot about farming so really the two fields crossed/intersected here so maybe the mane 4 should've stayed neutral.

Just in my opinion.

Okay, good episode, great message, all that good MLP:FiM stuff, but one tiny thing is driving me bonkers;

What is up with Fluttershy still having sharpened teeth at the very end?

Seriously, first the disappearing comic book, now this! what the heck is going on? I thought the overarching plot about the Mysterious Box and finding the keys! not whatever random last minute event suddenly gets thrown at you.

You've got a weird way of playing with our expectations, Meghan McCarthy.

Make no mistake, I still like the Season 4 episodes so far, but the last few seconds of almost every episode makes me go 'What. the. heck?'

To all you guys saying that Fluttershy is the expert in animals. That didn't mean that everyone should just flock to her side.

Retrospectively Applejack knew a lot about farming so really the two fields crossed/intersected here so maybe the mane 4 should've stayed neutral.

Just in my opinion.

I don't think that they should have stayed neutral. Something HAD to be done.  They couldn't just stand there and do nothing.

And this is why the conflict was good. Even though I felt that Applejack sounded biased and emotional (her arguments were about how ugly the things were, how they would destroy her farm) and Fluttershy arguments about respecting the creatures feelings and that they would actually help, sounded more rational.

But the great thing about this episode, is that even though they they weren't right (inside the episode's logic), they weren't wrong either. Actually, I feel now that the episode was more about the spell going haywire and then Applejack more worried about Fluttershy than with her farm. The whole problem with the vampire fruit bats served only as a background. (I was going to say "plot device" but I wasn't sure it was the correct term).

I don't think that they should have stayed neutral. Something HAD to be done. They couldn't just stand there and do nothing.

And this is why the conflict was good. Even though I felt that Applejack sounded biased and emotional (her arguments were about how ugly the things were, how they would destroy her farm) and Fluttershy arguments about respecting the creatures feelings and that they would actually help, sounded more rational.

But the great thing about this episode, is that even though they they weren't right (inside the episode's logic), they weren't wrong either. Actually, I feel now that the episode was more about the spell going haywire and then Applejack more worried about Fluttershy than with her farm. The whole problem with the vampire fruit bats served only as a background. (I was going to say "plot device" but I wasn't sure it was the correct term).

Hmmm I guess so.

It just felt wierd for all the mane 4 to just flock to one side. I guess for the sake of the plot but it must've had to be done but end the end it just makes Fluttershy's case look superior towards Applejack's (which I guess was the case anyway)

Hmmm I guess so.

It just felt wierd for all the mane 4 to just flock to one side. I guess for the sake of the plot but it must've had to be done but end the end it just makes Fluttershy's case look superior towards Applejack's (which I guess was the case anyway)

True.

Maybe it would have been better if Twilight, Dashie and Rarity sided with Applejack, while Pinkie sided with Fluttershy.

I mean, I don't know about Twilight. Maybe she should have sided with Fluttershy, not sure. Maybe because Applejack's arguments were not very good from a rational standpoint.

But Rarity was so irked by the bats and Rainbow was thinking only about the cider. It made sense these ponies siding with Applejack. Pinkie might have sided with Fluttershy, but who knows what Pinkie thinks...

• Brohoof 1

Well, that was an episode.

I can firmly say I am slightly disappointed, despite the fact I had no idea what it would be about till today (I am good at avoiding spoilers). I mean, the beginning had a good conflict going on, even though I found it weird how halloween'y the song was, and then I though they were going to go the route that changing the bats diet would have a unexpected effect on the ecosystem, or they would start starving, or something like that. Instead, Fluttershy is a bat for some reason...

I guess It feed the bat pony lovers, but, really? I didn't even get why they needed her to stare down the bats whilst they were all staying in place eating the apples. That, and when they undid the spell, by the logic explained, wouldn't the Bat-ness fly off Fluttershy, into the mirror, and back on Fluttershy? Or at least bounce around and hit some random pony.

However, I shall conclude this rantation by saying the episode should have gone more of the route started, as the entire plot seemingly flipped into something different... like Fluttershy, heheh... The whole episode also felt like it was originally intended to be a Halloween thing, at least once we were in halfway.

Edited by Secret Person
  • Brohoof 2

I was a bit surprised at how Fluttershy's friends rejected her suggestions. They thought her methods in reforming Discord were wrong, even though she ultimately prevailed. It's as if they never really learned anything about the benefit of a doubt. The way they treated her in that song... that was... kinda low. Even if they despised the vampire bats, they should have still respected Fluttershy's love for all animals and not have demeaned them in the matter that they did.

But that aside, I absolutely LOVED Flutterbat! I don't know about the rest of you, but I did not expect that at all. First Flutterage, then Flutterhulk, and now Flutterbat?! Awesome! Keep the ball rolling, Hasbro!

I guess It feed the bat pony lovers, but, really? I didn't even get why they needed her to stare down the bats whilst they were all staying in place eating the apples. That, and when they undid the spell, by the logic explained, wouldn't the Bat-ness fly off Fluttershy, into the mirror, and back on Fluttershy? Or at least bounce around and hit some random pony.

Twilight stated clearly that she couldn't cast the spell without the bats' full and complete attention. If they were busy eating apples, they wouldn't be paying attention, and Twilight wouldn't have been able to do what she needed.

As for the mirrors, they and the Stare only held her in place long enough for Twilight to cast the reverse spell. They weren't part of the spell itself, which we see wrapped around Fluttershy. And her eyes were closed while the spell was changing her in any case.

post-2257-0-43840900-1388288048_thumb.jpg

As for other members who say that Fluttershy's transformation made no sense, I might remind them that this is a magical world, with comics that can pull ponies into the story, greedy dragons who can increase in mass a thousandfold by stockpiling junk, and then revert back in seconds when reminded of their generosity, a mix-and-match critter can alter reality with a snap of a lion's paw, or tail; where writing a new kind of magic can change your species, winged horses walk on clouds and horned horses cast spells, and gigantic bear creatures made out of stars sit around in caves.

With all that, why is Flutterbat the point where you say "I can't believe that!"?

Anyway, here's my take on the episode http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-8972-season-4s-bats/

• Brohoof 3

This episode was kinda spoilered for me as I was on Facebook and one of the many Brony pages I follow had posted an image of Flutterbat. So I kinda knew what was coming. Not a fan of the song either. I liked Fruit bat round u! Fruit bat round up! better. lol. I'm also  not that fond of bats either. Seemed like it should've been a Halloween themed episode or something. Though it was interesting to see Flutters (my waifu <3) be transformed into another form for a second episode in a row.

Not my fave episode,but not the worst episode either.

Twilight stated clearly that she couldn't cast the spell without the bats' full and complete attention. If they were busy eating apples, they wouldn't be paying attention, and Twilight wouldn't have been able to do what she needed.

As for the mirrors, they and the Stare only held her in place long enough for Twilight to cast the reverse spell. They weren't part of the spell itself, which we see wrapped around Fluttershy. And her eyes were closed while the spell was changing her in any case.

attachicon.gifbscap0103.jpg

As for other members who say that Fluttershy's transformation made no sense, I might remind them that this is a magical world, with comics that can pull ponies into the story, greedy dragons who can increase in mass a thousandfold by stockpiling junk, and then revert back in seconds when reminded of their generosity, a mix-and-match critter can alter reality with a snap of a lion's paw, or tail; where writing a new kind of magic can change your species, winged horses walk on clouds and horned horses cast spells, and gigantic bear creatures made out of stars sit around in caves.

With all that, why is Flutterbat the point where you say "I can't believe that!"?

Anyway, here's my take on the episode http://mlpforums.com/blog/1083/entry-8972-season-4s-bats/

Apologies, that part seemed to have thrust itself out of my memory.

And I did not say the transformation made now sense, I actually thought it was cool. I just would have personally preferred the episode go a different route.

• Brohoof 1

And I did not say the transformation made now sense, I actually thought it was cool. I just would have personally preferred the episode go a different route.

Oh, I realize that. That second half was more aimed at members who have said it made no sense, I just was too lazy to go find and multiquote them. :)

Edited by SolarFox

Evilshy confirmed for legitamacy....I think,

This episode was kind of out of the usual MLP episode, and it was better than previous episodes in season 4 in my opinion.

Edited by Flow

attachicon.gifbscap0103.jpg

But, I must add now that I think of it, by the logic stated earlier in the episode, whilst Twilight explains exactly how the magic had such an effect on Fluttershy with no prior research, nor thinking of it before using the spell in the first place, The "craving" for apples had to go somewhere. 

Well, know that I think of it, it could have just been like electricity or radiation, and dissipated all around in a small amount, as to have little to no affect on anything. That is assuming magic behaves like energies we experience in Earth. (In Earth, we live on it!)

Well, never mind  I appear to have debunked my whole argument. Besides, magic is anything we don;t understand yet, and since we don;t understand it, we cannot make assumptions out of ourselves.

• Brohoof 1

I will post some of my thoughts on the episode a bit later after I re-watch it, but I felt the need to point out just how adorably Applejack AJ was. Some people think she's all about apples, farming, and family and that she never leaves her comfort zone. I say she doesn't have to leave her comfort zone to be the most endearing and charming pony in Equestria. I love her just as she is! :D

img-2153766-1-508217__safe_solo_applejac

Evidently, Applejack x Apples is OTP.

64455_-_Buzz_Lightyear_Discord_meme_seas

The bats look like gremlins !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHsPQMHkI7o

Now I know the next PMV project I'm going to do.

Okay, I just rewatched the episode. Felt better now. Better than just good, that is. Hey, it's difficult to watch something with that many commercial breaks... Ruins my focus.

And I spotted one detail, not sure who else noticed, but...

...a Bats-Cutie Mark.

attachicon.gifFlutterbatCM.PNG

omgX50.jpg

I disliked this episode for a couple reasons

1. The song was kinda meh in my opinion

2. everyone turned on Fluttershy when she was the expert on animals and had a perfectly logical idea

3. I greatly dislike how Fluttershy basically was transformed into a bat through hypnosis the spell bounced off of the bat -_-.....

4. random pony transformations into different species is my least favorite head canon, giving a pony wings or a horn is fine but transforming the species entirely is kinda bullsh*t in my opinion

5. Rainbow Dash was willing to help for cider than she was willing to help her friend

though I did like how fluttershys solution was the right one all along and no one listened to her, not even the smart one :|

also apples grow really fast in Equestria apparently 

1. Meh how?  I explained exactly the problem I had with the song.  You should do the same.
  2. It was made quite clear that Fluttershy's idea would take time.  Time that Applejack was convinced they didn't have.
  3. Twilight made it quite clear what happened.  The spell didn't work quite how it was supposed to because all the bats were focused on Fluttershy, so all their desires to feed were transferred to her.
  4. Not sure how that is crazier than Twilight becoming an alicorn, even though that still hasn't been explained.
  5. Wrong.  Rainbow Dash was there before she knew AJ's cider production was in jeopardy.
  • Brohoof 2

I was a bit surprised at how Fluttershy's friends rejected her suggestions. They thought her methods in reforming Discord were wrong, even though she ultimately prevailed. It's as if they never really learned anything about the benefit of a doubt. The way they treated her in that song... that was... kinda low. Even if they despised the vampire bats, they should have still respected Fluttershy's love for all animals and not have demeaned them in the matter that they did.

But that aside, I absolutely LOVED Flutterbat! I don't know about the rest of you, but I did not expect that at all. First Flutterage, then Flutterhulk, and now Flutterbat?! Awesome! Keep the ball rolling, Hasbro!

I also agree a bit here, the song felt so... peer pressure-y mixed with the feeling of "WITCHEEEES!!!". The only one that should have talked so bally violent of the situation should have been AJ, because she was absolutely fearing a total crop destruction. Otherwise, it made the others a bit out of character. (Except Pinkie, who was smiling in a song that felt very... grim.

However, they seemed a hell alot more in character right after the song.

Let me be honest here: I did NOT like this episode.

Let's look at my first big grievance: The beginning. Let me just say, I get what it was going for. Applejack's existent trauma was there and understandable. But that was NO excuse for how bitter this beginning felt. I'm not going to say that the ponies siding with Applejack was necessarily a bad thing (even though it seriously opposes that buffalo episode...), but what bugged me was just how dismissive everypony was with all of Fluttershy's points. She wanted to treat the animals fairly, but everypony refused to listen to her. Now, if they had been kind and at least tried to show SOME consideration for Fluttershy's feelings, this could have worked, but all throughout, it just felt mean.

Heck, that musical number may have been one of the most mean-spirited things I've seen in the show. I love the song, but I can't watch it for the life of me.

My other problem with the episode is the moral. IT'S BEEN USED BEFORE.

Yeah, anypony else remember Iron Will? I mean, I could excuse last week because I understand the writers are just looking for some excuse to make Spike relevant, but this episode blatantly took the very same lesson that was used there. I'm sorry, but that really bugged me.

... Really though, I could overlook that second part. But I will always despise the beginning. The beginning alone made this episode one of my least favorites, honestly.

... If Fluttershy keeps that fang, though, I might be able to excuse it.

Let me be honest here: I did NOT like this episode.

Let's look at my first big grievance: The beginning. Let me just say, I get what it was going for. Applejack's existent trauma was there and understandable. But that was NO excuse for how bitter this beginning felt. I'm not going to say that the ponies siding with Applejack was necessarily a bad thing (even though it seriously opposes that buffalo episode...), but what bugged me was just how dismissive everypony was with all of Fluttershy's points. She wanted to treat the animals fairly, but everypony refused to listen to her. Now, if they had been kind and at least tried to show SOME consideration for Fluttershy's feelings, this could have worked, but all throughout, it just felt mean.

Heck, that musical number may have been one of the most mean-spirited things I've seen in the show. I love the song, but I can't watch it for the life of me.

My other problem with the episode is the moral. IT'S BEEN USED BEFORE.

Yeah, anypony else remember Iron Will? I mean, I could excuse last week because I understand the writers are just looking for some excuse to make Spike relevant, but this episode blatantly took the very same lesson that was used there. I'm sorry, but that really bugged me.

... Really though, I could overlook that second part. But I will always despise the beginning. The beginning alone made this episode one of my least favorites, honestly.

... If Fluttershy keeps that fang, though, I might be able to excuse it.

The beginning felt that way mostly because of the halloween-y song I believe, because after that, I can see each of the characters reasons for siding with AJ, and the aren't so... Witchy, about it. 

This whole thing would have made sense if halloween was coming in a week though, it makes me think that this may have originally been for such a time.

A very interesting new episode, and it's probably my new favorite of the season, though I seem to be saying that a lot lately. I was quite curious how they'd manage the conflict and make it so both characters had their points, so that we'd have to think a bit. It started out that way, but I felt that the handling of it broke down partway through.

From the song itself, it's pretty plain that we're supposed to see that Applejack's side was ultimately going to be judged wrong. However, she's dealing with pest animals who are devouring her livelihood. What is wrong with making the bats find something else to snack on? What stops the bats from leaving their sanctuary and eating the rest of the orchard? When they seem to devour the crop ridiculously quickly, why is the fact that they spread seeds in the process supposed to be a plus for AJ, rather than a really thin silver lining?

Which isn't to say that they didn't handle the situation awfully. Pressuring Fluttershy and tampering with animals' appetites with magic are questionable things to do at best, but I still don't feel that that removes any credibility they had. I'd have sent those pests packing ASAP, and in Applejack's position I think that most would.

If I were to change anything about this episode, I'd have canned the Flutterbat segment and made there be an even 3-3 split over the issue among the Mane Six. Applejack and Fluttershy would still be the leaders and most vocal of their sides, but it would let it seem more like a fair fight, taking sympathy out of the issue as much as possible and not trying to push Fluttershy's side just because everyone's ganging up on her and chanting while pacing in circles (which was incidentally hilarious :lol:). I figure Twilight and Dash would be on AJ's side, because it might seem like the more rational thing and they need to think of the CIDER! Rarity would find the bats gross, but feel obligated to stick up for Fluttershy who she's always been particularly close to. Not sure why Pinkie would land on that side, but hey, not sure why she landed on Applejack's either.

The morals for both characters were good lessons, it just irked me how there was a clean pick between the two viewpoints when I felt that it was definitely more complicated than that.

Other than that though, it was quite a fun episode. Some have compared it to Swarm of the Century and I can see that. I felt that this was one of the more solid Pinkie performances in a while, though again, just a gut feeling. Rarity was amazing, and her looking at her reflection in the Mega Apple and making cute faces was a little tidbit I enjoyed. Dash was cute and amazing as always, though the cider bit dragged out a little long for my taste after rewatching the episode. The song was great too, its demonization of most of the main characters none the less. Interestingly enough though, AJ's image of the bats was far closer to the real one than whatever the heck Fluttershy's was. Doesn't make up for it, but it's my favorite song of the season still. Quite enjoyable :D

Flutterbat was fun, but I'd still have preferred for it to get axed in favor of a more satisfying ending. Though with that twist at the closer, it's probably going to be some vital plot point later on or something. We'll see how that plays out. Applejack was fantastic in this episode from beginning to end. The cutest I've ever seen her, and that's not even saying anything about her sacrifice of things important to her for the greater good. Ponies voiced by Ashleigh Ball are great at that ;). I've been wavering between her and Pinkie for my second favorite pony lately, but I think this episode has pushed the silly pony over the edge. For now :P. The episode also served as a great rebuttal to those who have said there's nowhere to go and nothing to do with Applejack's character.

Season 4 might be finally hitting its stride for me. A wonderful episode, and I'm looking forward to seeing Rarity next week :)

But I feel like this is just an episode you'd see in season 1 and 2- cute with a song and friendship lalalalala but we've got bigger fish to fry! The castle? Box? Keys? Equestria games? PRINCESS twilight?

I still find the idea of MLP having "filler episodes" or whatever you want to call them, silly. Sure they're going new places with ongoing plotlines this season, but the show's formula of friendship conflicts and focusing on how characters interact and that was a great one. It's what made this show so appealing to me, and I don't like the idea that it's too good for that now.

If you're just saying that you hope they get into the more meaty stuff soon, I'm sorry :unsure:. I feel like I'm overreacting.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 8

Oh I understand the fillers and yes I agree they need to remain to the basic of this show being about the friendship of magic- I guess you're right I do want questions answered. Again not necessarily the entire episode needs to be focused on it but somehow weaves itself into a larger plot.

• Brohoof 2

This Is my Favorite Episode in the Series :D Flutter-bat was amazing and it didn't make it feel like it was fan-made! Yay! And the tooth growing at the end might mean More Flutter-Bat! Although the Evil Pony thing at the End of Castle Mane-ia Didn't Show Up Again so Maybe Hasbro is Trolling us...    Edit: this post is really long :o

This Is my Favorite Episode in the Series :D Flutter-bat was amazing and it didn't make it feel like it was fan-made! Yay! And the tooth growing at the end might mean More Flutter-Bat! Although the Evil Pony thing at the End of Castle Mane-ia Didn't Show Up Again so Maybe Hasbro is Trolling us...    Edit: this post is really long :o

just because it hasn't shown up yet doesn't mean it won't. However, along that line, I have to agree with someone who posted earlier (can't find the post) who stated that there's way too many sub-plots going on at once. The keys, flutterbat, pony of shadows, equestria games, etc. it's getting too much.