Yellow Diamond

S04:E07 - Bats!  

401 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I found this episode to be a bit lackluster. It just didn't impress me very much. Not to say it was actually "bad" though.

But at least the other ponies got the spotlight for a change.

• Brohoof 1

So can anyone offer any answer to the question I asked about whether or not Flutterbat knew that those were her friends she was attacking or if she retained some of her personality and thoughts due to her transformation?

I cannot believe that there are actually people who think that Fluttershy's fang is a permanant change, it is clearly just a little nod towards horror movie endings. Fluttershy was cured of her vampirism... OR WAS SHE!? It is a littlle gag, nothing more and it certainly will not appear in future episodes.

• Brohoof 5

Of course, in the episode, yet again, one of Twilight's spells has unintended and unforeseen bad consequences. How many times does this same thing have to happen, and why do Twilight's spells taken from books so often do more harm than good?

I also noticed in the part of the episode that Pinkie can apparently control her mane, at least enough to "grab" and manipulate a handheld flashlight. And speaking of that, I wouldn't really expect a flashlight of that size to be strong enough to make a signal in the sky that can be seen from that significant of a distance. Do those flashlights run on batteries like ours? If so, I guess that's another indication that the level of technology is Equestria might be higher than was depicted before.

To be honest, I think you're thinking too hard about this.  Twilight's tendency to have spells "backfire" is both a plot device and a running gag, and the bit with Pinkie's hair and the flashlights appear (to me, at least) to be just for comedic effect.  Not everything has to be explained in real-world terms.

Similarly, with Fluttershy physically transforming into a bat because of Twilight's spell, I think we can just sum it up as an "unintended consequence".  I don't think we can (or are meant to) fully understand what that spell did or what its side-effects were - the fact is, they happened, and as with any good cartoon show, we do need to engage in at least a little suspension of disbelief.

I cannot believe that there are actually people who think that Fluttershy's fang is a permanant change, it is clearly just a little nod towards horror movie endings. Fluttershy was cured of her vampirism... OR WAS SHE!? It is a littlle gag, nothing more and it certainly will not appear in future episodes.

Glad someone understands this.

• Brohoof 1

Let me bring up something here, we now have:

1 Alicorn

1 Unicorn

1 Pegasus

2 Earth Ponies

And 1 Batmare

Will something happen to AJ and/or Pinkie? And if so, what?

As for Fluttershy, she may be like Billy Weasley, she is not a full Batmare but will experience some characteristics and cravings of one

Also for Fluttershy, the only way she could've become a Batmare is if her DNA was reworked by Twilight's spell to suit that of a vampire fruit bat and the reverse spell only cured her cravings and most of her newly developed physical characteristics, or didn't even attack the root of the problem at all.

I also thought she got bit at first and the story was going to go Breaking Dawn or New Moon on me or something

(This is only my theory and some may disagree)

So can anyone offer any answer to the question I asked about whether or not Flutterbat knew that those were her friends she was attacking or if she retained some of her personality and thoughts due to her transformation?

Her behavior and her apparent loss of memory strongly suggest that she was unaware of what was going on while she was in her altered state.  This is similar to almost every werewolf story in existence - very few werewolves (at least of the famous ones) know what they're doing when they're in wolf form, and frequently wake up the next morning having no memory of the previous night's events.  Perhaps they thought they were just drunk or something.

Also for Fluttershy, the only way she could've become a Batmare is if her DNA was reworked by Twilight's spell to suit that of a vampire fruit bat and the reverse spell only cured her cravings and most of her newly developed physical characteristics, or didn't even attack the root of the problem at all.

The "altered DNA" theory has always struck me as a bit far-fetched for transformations like this.  DNA has far less to do with your CURRENT body state - it has much more to do with how you develop from conception.  Changing your DNA mid-life won't have an immediate effect on your body, but rather might have subtle, long-term effects on new cells (eg. cancer), and on the function of the immune system (eg. white blood cells' capability to recognize intruders).

Transformations such as Fluttershy's are almost certainly not possible through any known real-life mechanism, so trying to explain it in real-life terms seems difficult at best.  I think Twilight's explanation that it was simply an unintentional side-effect of her spell (she's already proven she can alter the Mane 6 in other ways) makes much more sense, given that nobody (even in Equestria) can explain exactly how magic works.

• Brohoof 2

Oh so basically Fluttershy seemed to be like Professor Lupin from Harry Potter 3, not fully aware of what was going on and not knowing that the ponies she was attacking and flying at were her friends, in Harry Potter 3 when Professor Lupin turned into a werewolf he attacked Harry, Hermione, Ron, Professor Snape and even Sirius once Sirius turned into a dog to try and stop Lupin from going crazy. Also yeah I honestly believe now that Fluttershy's fang at the end was just the writers way of getting a shocked expression out of the audience, I don't think Flutterbat will return.

FlutterBat completely blew away FlutterHulk as my favourite thing about this season.

Her design was so damn cool.

As for the episode itself:

Amazing animation, lighting, and art direction. (Did the MLP staff get a better budget or something? The visual quality of this season has been jaw dropping.)

Non-preachy humanitarian conflict/moral.

Epic, dramatic, Disney-esque song.

FlutterBat.

Great pacing and injected humor.

9.6/10, a gem of an episode that excelled in what it tried to do with the concept it was given.
I really really like how this season is turning out and I have yet to be disappointed.

This episode was rather average.
The story was ok, the atmosphere was nice, Fluttebat was good.
But it still didn't enrapture me.
Maybe because ponies acted a little silly there. Pinkie Pie drilling into the ground - WTF? Rainbow Dash couldn't fly after Fluttershy and catch her? Maybe Applejack didn't has time to go for her lasso but Twilight already used more than once a spell that can hold or even freeze somepony in place.

A part of the orchard as vampire bat sanctuary - really? It won't work, they are pests, we have seen how they act - similar to locust, there is no way that this solution would work.

Fluttershy's arguments didn't convince me - the one of good things what those bats do is not eating seeds, they spit them out on site instead - I would say this don't differ that much from what happens when overripe apples just fall to the ground. As far as I know the true benefit for trees is when some animal eat whole fruit with seeds and and thanks to this it can move them in other far away places. Applejack can sow apple trees herself using seeds from her own apples and this way has much more control over orchard.

Edited by spacestorm

I'm pretty easy going. This is the first episode of Season 4 that I "liked" as opposed to "loved". I am very disappointed Merriwether Williams stayed onboard but M. A. Larson decided to sit this season out. I believe my problem with this episode can be summed up in that one sentence but I will admit it's not a bad episode.

Pros:

1) The moral is actually good. Even if the episode took detours from the build up, this still was a good moral the show hadn't covered yet.

2) Flutterbat was definitely one of the biggest surprises I've ever seen in the show.

3) Even though the humor cuts it off at times, the horror is actually pretty scary.

Cons:

1) The song had a few moments but felt like the lyrics of a typical children's play (yes, Merriwether does take some credit).

2) The TV show is practically begging for a descent Applejack episode because the drama is unreal. 

2.1) Applejack doesn't feel nearly as bad as she should, because turning a friend into a vampire is DEFINITELY one of the worst mistakes done to a friend this show has ever shown.

2.2) When Applejack sacrifices her giant apple, she doesn't feel nearly the hesitation she should for one of the BIGGEST sacrifices this show has ever shown.

3) Rainbow Dash is worked into the episode but her obsession with cider is rather insubstantial for her character.

4) A little too much exposition, and some of Pinkie's humor cuts off some otherwise good dramatic moments.

5) Flutterbat was a good surprise, but I'm surprised Fluttershy remains a vampire in the end (and, unless the writers have discussed this among themselves, this is not good).

We don't know if the vampire thing is permanent yet, but it is awesome

Stancet, you shouldn't worry about flutterbat itself, you should worry about (drumroll please) THE FANFICS!

Edited by Vorax

You know what I don't get. They wanted to get Fluttershy to use the stare on herself so that Twilight could cast the reversal spell on her, but how would she use the stare on herself? She does it consciously, or it just happens, I recall. So how the hell would they be able to get her to do it to herself while she's in the feral state she was in? That, and she doesn't even do it, she just sees her own reflection and is horrified, for some reason, and then Twilight casts the reversal spell on her.

Seriously, what the fuck. Ugg, I feel like I'm having to really think hard to justify logical inconsistencies with this season more than any other.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

I totally agree that's how I took it too- like at the end of Michael Jackson's Thriller music video when his eyes glow yellow again for a second- it's just a tease.

I personally think that there are already too many little flicks at the ends of these episodes for it to all be a memetic coincidence.

My thoughts:
- The Everfree castle keeps getting visited, and we know that it's being redecorated and restored. I think Twilight is going to live in it.

- I think the "Shadow Pony" ending is direct foreshadowing of the season 4 villain. 'Nightmare Moon's dark magic' sounds as credible a threat as any.

This idea is re-enforced by the 'fixing up the castle' thing. Whatever purpose it ends up being used for, the shadow pony will no doubt make an appearance.

- The comic book's disappearance gets a temporary pass due to being 'enchanted', so i won't pay it much mind for now.

- Fluttershy retaining a vampire tooth? That right there has my headcanon wheels turning:

I think that some of these cliffnotes are related to the KEYS that the mane six must acquire.

Fluttershy might need to go through an ordeal regarding her vampire self, and she might get rewarded by discovering her key.

The other pony's episodes might give cliffnotes of their own in what's left of the first half of the season,

leaving plenty of time for the hypothetical "part 2" episodes of their key arcs in the second half.
This would all culminate in Twilight earning the final key during the finale and defeating the villain in the last 5-10 minutes, as per protocol.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much rule of funny for most of this. And the reason for it is explained. Fluttershy was using the Stare (a magical or at the least mystical ability) on the bats while Twilight cast the spell to remove the thirst for apple juice from the bats. Some of that thirst was unintentionally conducted via the Stare into Fluttershy.

Why should we believe that "The Stare" is a magical ability? Is it ever referred to as such in the show? But besides that, Twilight's spells that she shoots out of her horn are usually seen to have an effect only on the intended object(s) of the spell, i.e., whatever has the magical aura around it as the spell is cast. Why is it that this case is different? How and why did "The Stare," i.e., a method of looking at animals, convey the desire to be a fruit bat to Fluttershy? Was there some reason that the fruit bats' desire to be fruit bats had to "go" anywhere? Does this desire exist independently of the fruit bats themselves? The creators of the episode went through the trouble of having Twilight give an "explanation" using neon illustrations, but that explanation didn't actually explain much when it could have at least explained a little better what was going on.

Why does it affect physical changes? Why shouldn't it? Spike can gain a few tons in weight simply by hoarding junk, and then lose it again instantaneously. Twilight can transform from a normal unicorn into an alicorn by adding a few lines to a poem. A powerful being can change a pony's personality by simply touching them on the head. Why is a transforming Fluttershy so hard to grasp in a world almost literally made of magic?

To be honest, I think you're thinking too hard about this.  Twilight's tendency to have spells "backfire" is both a plot device and a running gag, and the bit with Pinkie's hair and the flashlights appear (to me, at least) to be just for comedic effect.  Not everything has to be explained in real-world terms.

Similarly, with Fluttershy physically transforming into a bat because of Twilight's spell, I think we can just sum it up as an "unintended consequence".  I don't think we can (or are meant to) fully understand what that spell did or what its side-effects were - the fact is, they happened, and as with any good cartoon show, we do need to engage in at least a little suspension of disbelief.

I don't really accept the attitude of "Suspend your disbelief and throw your concerns out the window - anything goes, because magic!" or other oft-used excuses like "...because it's a show for little kids!" or "...because it's a show about talking ponies!" I thought a major part of the appeal of this show is that it's ambitious in trying to build characters and a world which, while they may not always reflect our reality on Earth, are supposed to be internally consistent and make sense in their own way, and hence are open to analysis (unlike other cartoons which aim to entertain by relying on, say, slapstick or sheer craziness). And just because some things are presented without explanation doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for or want an explanation for any occurrence in the show.

When I point out inconsistencies, illogical actions, etc. in the episodes, and when I question events in the episodes or explanations of them, they're usually things that just occurred to me when watching the episode or reading people's posts. For me, part of the enjoyment of the show and the forums is finding and documenting these inconsistencies and questions that I observe, then seeing if other people spotted them too, finding out what other people think about them, and maybe seeing if plausible explanations for some of them can be found.

Why should we believe that "The Stare" is a magical ability? Is it ever referred to as such in the show? But besides that, Twilight's spells that she shoots out of her horn are usually seen to have an effect only on the intended object(s) of the spell, i.e., whatever has the magical aura around it as the spell is cast. Why is it that this case is different? How and why did "The Stare," i.e., a method of looking at animals, convey the desire to be a fruit bat to Fluttershy? Was there some reason that the fruit bats' desire to be fruit bats had to "go" anywhere? Does this desire exist independently of the fruit bats themselves? The creators of the episode went through the trouble of having Twilight give an "explanation" using neon illustrations, but that explanation didn't actually explain much when it could have at least explained a little better what was going on.

I don't really accept the attitude of "Suspend your disbelief and throw your concerns out the window - anything goes, because magic!" or other oft-used excuses like "...because it's a show for little kids!" or "...because it's a show about talking ponies!" I thought a major part of the appeal of this show is that it's ambitious in trying to build characters and a world which, while they may not always reflect our reality on Earth, are supposed to be internally consistent and make sense in their own way, and hence are open to analysis (unlike other cartoons which aim to entertain by relying on, say, slapstick or sheer craziness). And just because some things are presented without explanation doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for or want an explanation for any occurrence in the show.

When I point out inconsistencies, illogical actions, etc. in the episodes, and when I question events in the episodes or explanations of them, they're usually things that just occurred to me when watching the episode or reading people's posts. For me, part of the enjoyment of the show and the forums is finding and documenting these inconsistencies and questions that I observe, then seeing if other people spotted them too, finding out what other people think about them, and maybe seeing if plausible explanations for some of them can be found.

My point is, in a magical world, you should expect magical things to happen. Transforming into a bat pony is a magical thing. I don't say we should just accept that anything goes, but in exactly what way is the transformation itself inconsistent with the show's logic? Given what we've seen, how is this a contradiction of anything?

Why is the Stare magical? Well, turning something to stone is magical, isn't it? When using her Stare in The Stare Master, it slowed down the petrifying effect of the cockatrice's stare. And even the fact that the spell backfires in this episode because she was using the Stare implies it to be magical. And it's not just a "method of looking at animals," it pretty much hypnotizes them and allows Fluttershy to command them. Sounds like a form of magic to me.

But besides that, Twilight's spells that she shoots out of her horn are usually seen to have an effect only on the intended object(s) of the spell, i.e., whatever has the magical aura around it as the spell is cast. Why is it that this case is different?

post-2257-0-61822800-1388457898_thumb.jpg

There we go, you can see here the magical aura extends far enough to touch Fluttershy. If I had to make a guess, perhaps now that Twilight is an alicorn, her magic is more powerful and affects a larger area than she is used to it doing.

Was there some reason that the fruit bats' desire to be fruit bats had to "go" anywhere? Does this desire exist independently of the fruit bats themselves? 

Clearly it does:

post-2257-0-06086800-1388457604_thumb.jpg

There, you can see the battiness (pardon the lame pun) leaving Fluttershy and dispersing into the air.

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 1

I tried to watch it today but when I recorded it the screen went all bad glitches on HD digital! How many of you everypony had problems last week watching this show on the Hub ?

Fluttershy as a bat kind of remind of a Scoobydoo Episode where Velma and Daffny doesn't know Shaggy turned into a Werewolf !

Note that I said I think it's difficult to explain events that happen in the show in real-world terms.  That's what I was getting at.  I'm not saying we should just accept everything that happens - the show wouldn't be good if the only way to enjoy it was by suspending ALL disbelief.  What I meant was that I don't think you can explain things like Fluttershy's transformation in terms of any real-world mechanisms.  To say it's a magical side-effect is a universe-consistent statement.  To say it happened by altering her DNA is speculation at best, and IMO tries to impart too much complexity to the situation.

You said you believe the world should be internally consistent, and I agree.  And it's pretty glaring when they're not.  I just don't expect them to be consistent with the real world.  So that's why I balk at comments like "I don't think flashlights are that powerful."

And you seem to forget that a significant part of MLP:FiM does rely on slapstick and sheer craziness (pretty much anything involving Pinkie Pie).

And I'm not saying you shouldn't do this.  As I said in another post, I really hope people don't think my only purpose here is to criticize everyone else.  That's not what I'm trying to do.  I just think that it's possible to get too far into this analysis, to the point that it ruins the show for others.  I for one am willing to accept that I don't need to understand all the details of how things work.  (Full disclosure: I was one of those people for whom the Midi-Chlorians completely ruined the concept of the Force.)