Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I think I hate apple jack.

FNGRpony

HAy when we get a spike rarity episode it's a good time. Hell if that episode would been spike serving rarity instead that might been a classic.

Not the good kind of classic, from what we've heard from the writers. The main gripe people have with that episode seems to be Spike's characterization. I loved Applejack in it, and I don't see much basis for implying that she made the episode worse somehow.

we're at sweet apple acres and the other things at stake the town that might starve her family isn't around to remind us what's at stake, like everything important just isn't there. it's like it's in a far off land, dis connected

Her livelihood was at stake as well, but I guess nobody can do anything about that if you don't care.

Not at all the dark part was fun. The song, apple jack asking her friends in a blunt manner. I mean if that's a new theme, I might have something to like?

So the issue is the repetitiveness then? Again, it's happened twice, two seasons apart. Twilight thinking a spell will solve all their problems only for everything to fall to shit has happened far more often, including last episode as well. Even in that case, I still care what happens as a result of it, I just feel that she should know to be more careful by now.

• Brohoof 3

I'm surprised no one didn't threw marry what's her face under the bus lol.

I think you are looking for the "mary sue  " kind of deal. Applejack is a strong character who believes in herself and the other ponies around her, she may be too good in some cases but even then she is still a respectable and memorable character (she is also quite cute)

• Brohoof 1

I think you are looking for the "mary sue  " kind of deal. Applejack is a strong character who believes in herself and the other ponies around her, she may be too good in some cases but even then she is still a respectable and memorable character (she is also quite cute)

No i meany the writer.  not that mary LOL.  And i've already argued about mary sue not being inherently bad. Lets not spend anymore time on that.  (meaning you will just keep tacking on conditions to mary sue to make the arch type terrible till your right).

"I think I hate apple jack."

Good for you.

applejack_clopplauding_by_mihaaaa-d3hohm

Although I do believe it's spelt "Applejack" - one word, capital. I know you hate her, but you should at least respect her enough to get her name right.

Facetiousness aside, I can see why some would find her uninteresting, but I honestly don't see anything about her to hate. By all tokens, she is one of the most well-developed characters in the entire main cast, and you know, perhaps that's the problem. For as many people bitch about Rarity acting out of line with her Element of Generosity, it would seem that this is what people secretly want - they want assurance that these characters have a long way to go in their development. In this regard, perhaps AJ really did hit her stride early on...we rarely see her being untrue to herself or others, so we don't get the same satisfaction of seeing her iron out her flaws as we do out of seeing Rainbow Dash having to overcome her pigheadedness, for example.

However, I don't see AJ's "premature" 3-dimensional nature as a reason to hate her. There are plenty of things the writers could do to continue to flesh her out - I'd bet any amount of money that many of AJ's biggest fans would be able to write her character better than the show's writers, themselves. Whether or not they really try to retool AJ as a more flawed character than she's been lately, I, for one, am perfectly happy with her as she is.

• Brohoof 7

And i don't trust the writers, specially if you wanna talk about season 3 lol.

I stated why i Didn't like AJ.  I didn't say "Roar everyone else should hate apple jack!"

I'm not making a league of "Apple jack sucks clan!"

where we going into apple jack threads and hit everyone with pears.

........I mean no one would be interested in doing that right?
*pushes a bag of pears with my foot behind me.*

Not the good kind of classic, from what we've heard from the writers. The main gripe people have with that episode seems to be Spike's characterization. I loved Applejack in it, and I don't see much basis for implying that she made the episode worse somehow.

Her livelihood was at stake as well, but I guess nobody can do anything about that if you don't care.

So the issue is the repetitiveness then? Again, it's happened twice, two seasons apart. Twilight thinking a spell will solve all their problems only for everything to fall to shit has happened far more often, including last episode as well. Even in that case, I still care what happens as a result of it, I just feel that she should know to be more careful by now.

well twilights repetition tends to hit more enjoyable things.

"I think I hate apple jack."

Good for you.

applejack_clopplauding_by_mihaaaa-d3hohm

Although I do believe it's spelt "Applejack" - one word, capital. I know you hate her, but you should at least respect her enough to get her name right.

Facetiousness aside, I can see why some would find her uninteresting, but I honestly don't see anything about her to hate. By all tokens, she is one of the most well-developed characters in the entire main cast, and you know, perhaps that's the problem. For as many people bitch about Rarity acting out of line with her Element of Generosity, it would seem that this is what people secretly want - they want assurance that these characters have a long way to go in their development. In this regard, perhaps AJ really did hit her stride early on...we rarely see her being untrue to herself or others, so we don't get the same satisfaction of seeing her iron out her flaws as we do out of seeing Rainbow Dash having to overcome her pigheadedness, for example.

However, I don't see AJ's "premature" 3-dimensional nature as a reason to hate her. There are plenty of things the writers could do to continue to flesh her out - I'd bet any amount of money that many of AJ's biggest fans would be able to write her character better than the show's writers, themselves. Whether or not they really try to retool AJ as a more flawed character than she's been lately, I, for one, am perfectly happy with her as she is.

Oh i do so love to be corrected with grammer errors.

Here let me spell that right for you.

Jappleack ^ ~.  (are we done?)

And fans constantly shout me down when ever i go into a reason to like

Lyra, Derpy, or Trixie.  But now that I'm hitting a main six character it's okay to sight the fanon suddenly?

Edited by FNGRpony

I didn't say "Roar everyone else should hate apple jack!"

then why create a entire thread about it. if it only was meant to be that you might as well put it on a status update or a blog. 

only reason i can see to create a thread like this is to increase your postcount.

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 4

Oh i do so love to be corrected with grammer errors.

Here let me spell that right for you.

Jappleack ^ ~.  (are we done?)

And fans constantly shout me down when ever i go into a reason to like

Lyra, Derpy, or Trixie.  But now that I'm hitting a main six character it's okay to sight the fanon suddenly?

>facetiousness: jocularity; lightheartedly humorous

Anyway, if people are shooting you down for liking Lyra/Derpy/whomever, that's wrong of them. Everyone's entitled to like a character for whatever reason they please, just as they are to dislike a character. All I'm saying is that your reasons for disliking AJ, while valid to you, make for rather crummy reasons to hate her outright. Speaking both subjectively and objectively, AJ has never been a bad character. While I'll agree with anyone else that the writers could (and should) be doing a little more with her character, I just can't help but feel you're wasting your hate, here. Why not focus your more positive feelings on the characters you do like instead?

Edited by Lord Thrashicane
  • Brohoof 5

then why create a entire thread about it. if it only was meant to be that you might as well put it on a status update or a blog. 

only reason i can see to create a thread like this is to increase your postcount.

I'm With Dave on this one, if you "Dislike" a Certain character on mlp why create a whole thread about the reasons why you "Dislike" Applejack. I'm not a fan of Rainbow dash because she doesn't strike me as much as the other characters do, but you don't see me with a thread titled "I think i hate Rainbow Dash".

My problem is, how many episodes can you make about apples? 

the episode wasn't very good in my opinion. The song was more like a cult chant rather than an actual song and I was surpirsed to see twilight, a princess, the voice of reason, joining in on saying "kill the bats, kill the bats". That didn't really make sense to me. I would love to see another rarity episode, but I do see how it'd be hard to make one. her character is sassy, bitchy, yet strong and independent. I don't see how they could make another rarity episode without draining some of her personality. 

• Brohoof 1

I've always liked Applejack since the first episode aired because she represents one of the few things people actually have, honesty. So many people nowadays aren't honest and lie through their teeth to get what they want or achieve, and honestly it's nice to see a character, even a cartoon character showing that quality. Also with what DaScottishBrony said I don't like Rarity, but I know a lot of people do and I wouldn't make a thread simply stating that I hate Rarity and all the issues I have with her, because honestly what sense would that make lol.

• Brohoof 3

I'd bet any amount of money that many of AJ's biggest fans would be able to write her character better than the show's writers, themselves. Whether or not they really try to retool AJ as a more flawed character than she's been lately, I, for one, am perfectly happy with her as she is.

I can't even tell you how many times I have read an AJ fanfic and wondered why the writers didn't think of that, every Applejack episode has been awesome with Spike's doofus side being laid on too thick my only complaint about Spike At Your Service but in season 2 it seemed like they didn't know what to do with her. Since season 3 though to give the writers some credit they have been starting to move in the right direction on Applejack with Apple Family Reunion being the best AJ episode to date and now being my favorite episode of the entire series. The first Applejack episode of the season was quite good even if did make some people dislike Applejack a bit, but I really think part of it was because a lot of people are biased toward Fluttershy, I will admit that my bias in favor of Applejack did influence my opinions on that matter but it wasn't my only reason. The characters I think the writers are really slipping up on are Pinkie Pie, Spike and Fluttershy (I liked her in the most recent episode though) and they gave Rarity the ultimate cold shoulder in season 3 but we will see how they do with her in the upcoming Rarity episode.

• Brohoof 1

I can't even tell you how many times I have read an AJ fanfic and wondered why the writers didn't think of that, every Applejack episode has been awesome with Spike's doofus side being laid on too thick my only complaint about Spike At Your Service but in season 2 it seemed like they didn't know what to do with her. Since season 3 though to give the writers some credit they have been starting to move in the right direction on Applejack with Apple Family Reunion being the best AJ episode to date and now being my favorite episode of the entire series. The first Applejack episode of the season was quite good even if did make some people dislike Applejack a bit, but I really think part of it was because a lot of people are biased toward Fluttershy, I will admit that my bias in favor of Applejack did influence my opinions on that matter but it wasn't my only reason. The characters I think the writers are really slipping up on are Pinkie Pie, Spike and Fluttershy (I liked her in the most recent episode though) and they gave Rarity the ultimate cold shoulder in season 3 but we will see how they do with her in the upcoming Rarity episode.

I loved Apple Family Reunion, myself. When folks like to claim that there were "liek NO good eps" in se03, that one and Wonderbolts Academy are my go-to counterarguments.

Also, agreed with Pinkie - if "the writers don't do anything with her" is AJ haters' biggest gripe, then I must ask, why so silent about Pinkie? Sure, she's always good for a chuckle in each episode, but aside from that, they don't really do much with her either.

• Brohoof 4

Poor, poor little Applejack, why almost nobody loves you?.... 

I really feel sorry for her. And perhaps I will stand for her despite the fact that she is not my favorite. I always have a eagerness to protect and help those who usually have no luck. 

So, I think you guys needs to give AJ second chance. I understand that now she's the least bright character, then others, but she had a good potential, I belive that one day she will become really cool. 

The main reason why I don't hate her (but it seems like she's in the last pisition in my list), because I sure that if there is a situation in which someone has to sacrifice himself for the sake of others, it certainly would be Applejack. Sory for such a dark example. Who else? Fluttershy? Obviously no. Rainbow? Not sure, guess no. Pinkie? No. Twilight? Well, it's possible. Rarity? Well, it is not excluded. But AJ looks for me, as the only pony who will sacrifice herself for others.

• Brohoof 2

Because rarity fans accuse me of hating rarity.

if i hated rarity she'd have a thread like this ^^.

My problem is, how many episodes can you make about apples? 

the episode wasn't very good in my opinion. The song was more like a cult chant rather than an actual song and I was surpirsed to see twilight, a princess, the voice of reason, joining in on saying "kill the bats, kill the bats". That didn't really make sense to me. I would love to see another rarity episode, but I do see how it'd be hard to make one. her character is sassy, bitchy, yet strong and independent. I don't see how they could make another rarity episode without draining some of her personality. 

THANK YOU!  Oh my God bro hoof.

and lets be honest twilight is not a saint.  she bucks up just like everyone else.  her iq isn't a shield from stupidity.

Why?

Friendship lol.  Star swirl never would jumped in on that.

I loved Apple Family Reunion, myself. When folks like to claim that there were "liek NO good eps" in se03, that one and Wonderbolts Academy are my go-to counterarguments.

Also, agreed with Pinkie - if "the writers don't do anything with her" is AJ haters' biggest gripe, then I must ask, why so silent about Pinkie? Sure, she's always good for a chuckle in each episode, but aside from that, they don't really do much with her either.

Well with pinkie it's measuring the quality of the chuckel.  (banging her head on a bell being an F for example).

Like how do i measure AJ? 

Like in bats?

how would you say it was a good AJ episode or a bad Aj episode?

Help me appreciate her.

Hmm. That's certainly true–the staff did do the least with her, Applejack being mostly a farmer with not much ahead of her other than taking care of the farm. Maybe it's true that most of Applejack's problems involve the farm and danger of crops, but I always think that there's a second story behind it of which the main six explore, like the vampire fruit bats. I'm sure you found the bats interesting, eh? Most of it wasn't really about her farm.

Though I'm kind of fed up with that being the cause of everything Applejack would come across. She could be so much more than a farm pony. But that's why she's my favorite: because, despite being just a down-to-earth pony, nothing too flashy and special, she still managed so well with the rest of her friends and saved Equestria many times. 

but i mean.... for all A.J.s extra time on screen....I just don't care.  Further more i'm kinda annoyed their slowly modeling apple bloom into mini A.J.   I liked apple bloom because i had hope she'd escape that depressing life style.  She had a chance to be anything.   and she's gonna turn into that block head of a big sister?.... ufgh.  

What exactly makes you think that Apple Bloom is turning into AJ? AB looks up to Applejack because... erm, sisterly role model, anyone? She enjoys the farm work and chores as Applejack does, shown in Sisterhooves Social. They had fun, and I can't imagine the Apple family's lifestyle being "depressing." 

• Brohoof 5

Hmm. That's certainly true–the staff did do the least with her, Applejack being mostly a farmer with not much ahead of her other than taking care of the farm. Maybe it's true that most of Applejack's problems involve the farm and danger of crops, but I always think that there's a second story behind it of which the main six explore, like the vampire fruit bats. I'm sure you found the bats interesting, eh? Most of it wasn't really about her farm.

Though I'm kind of fed up with that being the cause of everything Applejack would come across. She could be so much more than a farm pony. But that's why she's my favorite: because, despite being just a down-to-earth pony, nothing too flashy and special, she still managed so well with the rest of her friends and saved Equestria many times. 

What exactly makes you think that Apple Bloom is turning into AJ? AB looks up to Applejack because... erm, sisterly role model, anyone? She enjoys the farm work and chores as Applejack does, shown in Sisterhooves Social. They had fun, and I can't imagine the Apple family's lifestyle being "depressing." 

alot fans and critics point out apple bloom being stubborn and telling of scoots is showing "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

eh.

and dis like apple jack has nothing to do with her being an earth pony.

she could be the alicorn god of sweet apple achers (okay that would be real weird  lol) i think i still wouldn't be thrilled with her.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but from what I've read in your posts, you seem to hate everything about the show. Kinda makes me wonder why you're a fan to begin with  :lol:

Won't say AJ is my fave/best pony out of them all, but when it comes to the Mane 6, she has no second  :fiery:

• Brohoof 4

alot fans and critics point out apple bloom being stubborn and telling of scoots is showing "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

eh.

Simply having some things in common with Applejack dosen't mean that Applebloom is becoming a clone of Applejack, Applebloom has several differences from Applejack in addition to having some similarities. Applebloom is far more impatient and impulsive than Applejack and is prone to be far more reckless and irresponsible, the whole cutie pox situation was her fault because she was so impatient to get her cutie mark that she mixed up a bunch of random potions to try to force it. Applebloom hasn't gone that far again but along with the other CMC is still yet to fully understand the lesson from that episode that there are certain things which simply cannot be forced.

• Brohoof 1

and dis like apple jack has nothing to do with her being an earth pony. she could be the alicorn god of sweet apple achers (okay that would be real weird  lol) i think i still wouldn't be thrilled with her.

You're reading me wrong.

I said Applejack is a farm pony. I get what you mean–you're saying she's not interesting enough, having every one of her episodes centered around her farm and apples. Not about her being an earth pony.

• Brohoof 1

I got home from work, cracked open a Pepsi, and I gave this topic a readthrough to see what I missed.

@@FNGRpony, I think you need to look at her in a positive light for a moment; everyone's disagreed with you thus far almost, and, both objectively and subjectively, they're correct.

It kind of seems as if you're trying to find negatives in the character to prove your point; I can respect it when someone sticks by their beliefs, but that doesn't mean be closed-minded and refuse to accept anything you may be overlooking and trying to make yourself right, even though you may be wrong.

There's a certain line in the sand, and you crossed it, I'm afraid; it went from a sharing of opinions to just desperately clinging on to what  you said, just so you're not wrong; that's what it seems, and, if that's the case (which I'm certain it is) then you're no longer doing this for the right reason.

So, just sit down, light a candle, eat a Waffle, and think about the positives of AJ's character and compare them to the negatives; I assure you as a reformed pony basher myself, that there's a lot of good you're ignoring just so you can highlight the bad, and, in turn, you're making yourself look bad, costing yourself potential friends, and hurting many people; I know this, because I've been here before.

So, just think about AJ and be a little more open-minded about her character, because I promise you, she's so much better than the demon spawn you're making her out to be ;)

• Brohoof 11

Hell, everyone hates Applejack. She's a redneck, western farmer stereotype with a goddamn annoying voice! The only thing I like about her is that she reminds me of Spock from Star Trek with the whole honesty thing. But thats the problem! My least favourite character in MLP which I find rage-inducing, reminds me of my all-time favourite character in Media in general, Spock.

Also, she's really pushy and mean. She made Twilight Sparkle cry when all she was trying to do was to get the job done quickly and effeciently.

Edited by NCC-1701
  • Brohoof 1

Hell, everyone hates Applejack. She's a redneck, western farmer stereotype with a goddamn annoying voice! 

Most of the "stereotypes" that do apply to Applejack are positive ones like hard work, honesty, and having a very strong tightly knit family. You could just as easily argue that any of the mane 6 are stereotypes, you could argue that Rainbow Dash is a stereotypical jockish tomboy or even go so far as to accuse her of being a lesbian as some have done. You could accuse Rarity of being a stereotypical stuck up prima donna preppy bitchy girl, Fluttershy of being the stereotypical shy doormat. Pinkie Pie of being a one dimension airhead, or Twilight of being an anal retentive OCD ridden "nerdy" character and while they may meet some of the stereotypes of their character types have on many occasions transcended those and have enough depth to where they are more than just that while still being relatable to many people of similar personality types.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 5

Hell, everyone hates Applejack. She's a redneck, western farmer stereotype with a goddamn annoying voice! The only thing I like about her is that she reminds me of Spock from Star Trek with the whole honesty thing. But thats the problem! My least favourite character in MLP which I find rage-inducing, reminds me of my all-time favourite character in Media in general, Spock.

Also, she's really pushy and mean. She made Twilight Sparkle cry when all she was trying to do was to get the job done quickly and effeciently.

Not everybody hates Applejack. Applejack's love of family and friends, her brute honesty, and being a hard worker may seem like stereotypes but they're definitely not bad. I personally find her voice cute as well..  She didn't actually mean to make Twilight cry but she told her time and time again that unicorn magic is not part of the earth pony tradition of Winter Wrap Up, no matter how effective it could have been at the time. It seems like people will find anything to hate on a character with.

• Brohoof 3