Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I think I hate apple jack.

FNGRpony

There's not a whole lot I can say that hasn't already been said. I think I respect AJ a lot more than I actually like her--I think she's the most human and the one with the least amount of necessary character development. I like her just the way she is. But at the same time...yes, I would like to see her a little more developed; say, having a disagreement with Applebloom, to highlight the differences between them, or talking to one of her friends about losing her parents.

Heck, I actually want an explanation for AJ's missing parents. X_X

• Brohoof 1

I can not say AJ is my fav of ponies

and at times she has hit a raw nerve for

me like in this Bat eps a bit.  Yes at times

i think AJ is a bit short sighted on things and

how they turn out a bit or has ran from her

problems a bit which i know we all know but

I have at times also found her a bit much

full of herself in moments of showing off

and such.....

You just don't like AJ because she wears a hat.

I LOVE Hats.  the goofier the better.  it's a fixation of mine.

I thought this would have involved her (easily counterable) argument in "Bats!"

But I guess not. I don't like her as much anymore, but what I said was the reason why.

see that's just it, I see the importance of her family over the bats.  I totally agree.  I think anyone here if they had a rabbit infestation, or something of the like would react in a manner lethal to remove the problem. 

I'm just tired of "Oh God the farms going under!"

It feels old.

I might be a terrible person (granted) but how much do i have to be invested in sweet apple archers.

but how many times do i gotta go "Oh crap the barn is going under!" 

Twice. You've had to say that twice. Twice in 4 seasons.

Applejack is an amazing character with an amazing voice. She's built around the ethos of family and caring and whilst I cannot relate to the family part, it is still highly commendable that she has that attribute.

• Brohoof 4

If I'm reading you right, your issue is that her episodes are too dark? If the concern is danger to her farm, I can only think of that happening twice, in the cider episode and last week's. That doesn't seem overwhelming to me, either in frequency or in darkness. The show has done far more depressing things.

As for her as a character, I don't see much to dislike. She's been one of the more consistently reasonable and kind characters in the show, and if this revelation was somehow brought on by last episode, I can't understand it changing anything. Even if you didn't take her side of the argument, she put Fluttershy's well being ahead of everything in the end and was willing to open her mind and see an alternate solution. Absolutely nothing worthy of hatred.

Not at all the dark part was fun.  The song, apple jack asking her friends in a blunt manner.  I mean if that's a new theme,

I might have something to like? 

Twice. You've had to say that twice. Twice in 4 seasons.

Applejack is an amazing character with an amazing voice. She's built around the ethos of family and caring and whilst I cannot relate to the family part, it is still highly commendable that she has that attribute.

i think that might been it.

we're at sweet apple acres and the other things at stake

the town that might starve her family isn't around to remind us what's at stake,

like everything important just isn't there.  it's like it's in a far off land, dis connected.

Thank you ^^.

Rarity has been strong in two episodes.  Castelamania, and power ponies.  Next weed she's likely gonna be amazing (or team rarity is gonna torch the place, still just as fun).

3879-animated_gif-chuck_norris-dodgeball

Yeahh, probably :D

But nahh, AJ doesn't deserve this. She's awesome and horribly underrated, and you need to show her and her fans a little bit of respect, dude.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not saying she's useless.  She provides food for the whole family. (TOWN)

I'm saying before season 4, i found she was the least interesting because the lack of effort the show put into her.

Now that their putting effort into her.......

I didn't feel that "Oh wow!"

feeling i got for better or worse.

It's not like she took a dip like pinkie or flutter shy,

or improved like dash or rarity.

i'm saying from a fan perspective (ie me being critical) from an enjoyment stand point,

she was like a serious yo sametea sam.

No sir I didn't like it.

Your honor, the AJ supporters wish to present this in her defense!

img-2159783-1-O5G7t.jpg

Think about it...

Edited by FNGRpony

It's not like she took a dip like pinkie or flutter shy,

or improved like dash or rarity.

She just stayed equally as awesome throughout every single season. Fluttershy has no character development at all, so I don't see how anyone can find her interesting especially compared to Applejack who has had to deal with constant problems on the farms and look after her elderly grandmother and her younger sister. "Oh no, so shy, many animals, much quietness, 2cute4you" is way more boring when you compare it to Applejack who is bold, brash and brave.

Edited by EllEssEss
  • Brohoof 3

ON  the contrary i got some real good feed back.
Ellis remark helped me see another reason why the episode it self felt, eschew.

LIke digi i don't hate the episode but like something about it gets my goat.

My conclusion was "maybe I hate apple jack?"

Okay, first of all, don't you dare call Applejack a "blockhead" of a sister, she has shown more common sense than Twilight at times. If you don't care for one of the mane ponies, that's fine, but making a thread saying "I hate ___ (character)", is just annoying and a waste of everyone's time as we all try to convince you that Applejack is actually a good character. Of course most of her episodes are going to focus on the barn or family, she's a family-driven farm-pony, what do you expect? Plus, I wouldn't call her life depressing, she may have lost her parents at a young age, but she has shown to be a strong emotionally-driven pony who wouldn't let a thing get in her way. You're free to like/dislike what you want to, but I still rather enjoy Applejack, even if she's not in my top 3 of the mane 6.

AJ is usually the wisest and most mature of the ponies, whether it's in being a great sister, bending over backwards to help others, or doing things the *right* way and without shortcuts.  She teaches Rarity how to be a good big sister, she helps everyone in Ponyville to the point of exhaustion, and she can be a pretty level headed leader type in Twilight's stead. 

But that may also be the problem.  I think that the only thing keeping AJ from being higher on my personal ranking of favorites (she's either 2 or 3, depending on how I feel about Pinkie at the moment) is, ironically, the fact that' she's a bit *too* perfect.  There's not a whole lot of room for her to grow, or really learn any new lessons.  Her tendency to do everything by herself was more or less resolved at the end of Applebuck Season, and you could see the difference when she accepts help against the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.  But at the same time, you still see permutations of that one flaw popping up in other episodes like Apple Family Reunion, and even in Bats to some extent- not the "I have to do everything by myself" angle as much as the "We gotta do things my way" approach.  I think it would be better if they developed her in a slightly different way at this point.

• Brohoof 2

I think AJ is a great character. She exemplifies a very hard working nature and honesty two things I down right respect to a tee. I would say she would be right up there next to Pinkie Pie as one of my favorite characters. You can't blame her either for wanting to take the measures of ridding the bats either. I mean there was an incident in her family that was pretty significant and she did not want that happening again. So I stand behind her decision in the episode. Remember everyone makes mistakes in the choices they make no one is perfect.  

• Brohoof 1

She just stayed equally as awesome throughout every single season. Fluttershy has no character development at all, so I don't see how anyone can find her interesting especially compared to Applejack who has had to deal with constant problems on the farms and look after her elderly grandmother and her younger sister. "Oh no, so shy, many animals, much quietness, 2cute4you" is way more boring when you compare it to Applejack who is bold, brash and brave.

She's there to be cute and do cute things.

I can straight up tell you, flutter shy is having an off season.  She was my favorite, but the shows going in a different direction,

i like that direction, and maybe later the writing staff will make her character, well,

appealing again.

Flutter shy has a gimmick, like pinkie pie.  Pinkie doesn't have to develop all the time, but she does have to keep from being the village idiot like she was in castlemania.

Its not that i had to inherently hate apple jack.

My favorite cmc is apple bloom.

this is gonna sound really shitty but she's the one i feel the most sorry for cause... in her perfect future....

she turned into apple jack.

that kinda makes her the most lovable loser on the cmc.  She's got it the worse.

She's there to be cute and do cute things.

Exactly. Fluttershy does nothing but be cute and do cute things. She helped maybe three times with that stupid stare thing and in that episode from S1 with the dragon.

Applejack is there to do more than just look cute.

• Brohoof 4

AJ is usually the wisest and most mature of the ponies, whether it's in being a great sister, bending over backwards to help others, or doing things the *right* way and without shortcuts.  She teaches Rarity how to be a good big sister, she helps everyone in Ponyville to the point of exhaustion, and she can be a pretty level headed leader type in Twilight's stead. 

But that may also be the problem.  I think that the only thing keeping AJ from being higher on my personal ranking of favorites (she's either 2 or 3, depending on how I feel about Pinkie at the moment) is, ironically, the fact that' she's a bit *too* perfect.  There's not a whole lot of room for her to grow, or really learn any new lessons.  Her tendency to do everything by herself was more or less resolved at the end of Applebuck Season, and you could see the difference when she accepts help against the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.  But at the same time, you still see permutations of that one flaw popping up in other episodes like Apple Family Reunion, and even in Bats to some extent- not the "I have to do everything by myself" angle as much as the "We gotta do things my way" approach.  I think it would be better if they developed her in a slightly different way at this point.

I never said apple buck season wasn't amazing.

Hell I loved that.  It's just well, that makes her a one hit wonder.  She had that real great episode,

and all kinds of bunk after that.

I think fans need to be reminded she was half the team that made spike at your service.

HAy when we get a spike rarity episode it's a good time.  Hell if that episode would been spike serving rarity instead that might been a classic.

Exactly. Fluttershy does nothing but be cute and do cute things. She helped maybe three times with that stupid stare thing and in that episode from S1 with the dragon.

Applejack is there to do more than just look cute.

Comes down to enjoyment level.  and besides, being cute makes some other wise really difficult people tolerable. ;)

Ask yourself,

do you see apple jack doing stuff and go "I'm deciding to like this."

where as with flutter shy in previous seasons my knee jerk reaction was "dah."

Yeah, AJ is a very deep and "real" character with an possibly interesting backstory. Or she's just a cartoon character on a kids TV show.

Well if it's the ladder she's not an enjoyable character to me.  the more focus she gets,

which i was hyped for it at first,the less fun she is.

I know she has her fans who will be like "yay apple jack screen time."

and i'll say again,

was it time well used?

Before i could critic her being my least favorite as a victem of circum stance and a lack

of focus.  So either the writers can't make her great outside of to her hard core fans,

or i hate the character.

I'm surprised no one didn't threw marry what's her face under the bus lol.