Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would It Have Been So Bad For Dashie To Join The Cloudsdale Team?

Denim&Venöm

Analysis videos by Digibro and BronyCurious bring up the point that maybe it shouldn't have been such a bad thing for Dash to join team cloudsdale. Dashie is an elite competitor, arguably the fastest in Equestria, a focused and serious competitor. But her teammates, Bulky and Flutters don't seem to be taking this too seriously, or really, anypony in Ponyville for that matter. Sure they're invested, they'd like to win, they'd be really happy too do so. But it seems to me that their just throwing their hat in for the heck of it, or maybe just so they don't feel left out. And I'm sure that there are other events that the ponyvilians would be good at, but racing, and more importantly winning,means so much more to Rainbow than it does to the others.

So do you think her friends would have understood if she wanted to qualify alongside Spitfire & Fleetfoot? Even if they didn't would Dash really have been the bad guy if she joined regardless?

BTW here are the vids I was talking about:

• Brohoof 3

Yes, it would have been bad and would have been out of character. Her element is loyalty. And plus it would be an even bigger accomplishment if she could pull out a win on the Ponyville team.

Edited by Rivendare

With the way the Cloudsdale team was acting, yes. If they were the chill, mature Wonderbolts that we've seen in other episodes, and they genuinely needed someone to compete rather than having a healthy flier they were leaving in the wings for whatever reason, it wouldn't have been so bad so long as she were upfront about the whole thing. Honestly, I think Fluttershy would be happier not having to compete in the event, Bulk plainly doesn't belong there, and if Dash could have been a part of a top notch team, left a good impression and made a step towards achieving her dream, great. All of this was thrown to the wind once the Wonderbolts started being idiotic asshats of course, and I'd have thought less of her if she'd sucked it up and joined them in the episode we got.

TLDR, if the attitudes of the Cloudsdale team were different and they genuinely needed her help, I'd be completely cool with it.

• Brohoof 2

Would it be bad? .. questionable.. 

On one hand that would show a lack of loyalty towards her friends and current home town of Ponyville, whom she had already agreed to fly for. But on the other it would've been with her dream team and original home town.

In the end though, having already agreed to lead the ponyville team, it would've been bad, and made her a somewhat untrustworthy individual IMO. Especially after she already essentially bragged to the entire town that she was gonna pull it off even with that team.

Her friends, despite understanding, I'm sure would still feel no less betrayed underneath. Wouldn't you?

Topping it, given Spitfire and Fleetfoots lies just to try and coerce her onto their team, both to Dash AND their own team mate Soarin, it really would make RD look worse. Especially to Soarin since he was the one being replaced.

I guess the thing is, the Wonderbolts were acting like jerks, and it would have been bad for Rainbow Dash to join a team like that. I mean, the whole part about Spitfire and Soarin kinda made it seem like Spitfire was the antagonist.

That being said... I agree. It wouldn't have been so bad for Rainbow Dash to join the Cloudsdale team. She's a very competitive flyer, And takes this much more seriously than Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy combined. The Cloudsdale team would help Rainbow Dash to be the kind of flyer she wants to be, and there's simply no way that Ponyville will be able to beat Cloudsdale at the games. If RD joined the Cloudsdale team, then that doesn't mean she can't have her Ponyville friends anymore.

I considered her loyalty to have already been broken for training with them behind their backs. I would have felt betrayed myself.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she had joined them. She's so full of herself that she'd want to win and be with the better flyers and leave her friends and Ponyville behind. 

It's not bad because the consequences are minimal.  Ponyville would simply not qualify for a stupid sports competition, it's not like she was abandoning them in some life or death situation, or something that they really cared about (The show did not make this clear).  If your favorite band asked you to play in their band for a battle of the bands, and you had to ditch your friends band who was also competing, you would.  It's silly. 

Edited by Deesinn
  • Brohoof 1

Ponyville would simply not qualify for a stupid sports competition, it's not like she was abandoning them in some life or death situation, or something that they really cared about (The show did not make this clear). 

Actually it was made fairly clear that the Equestria games is like the Olympics for them. Just being part of that  "stupid sports competition" would be a HUGE honor to ALL involved, and a massive moment of pride for any town/city/country taking part. To lose your best player to a competing team thats just trying to get an edge (and weaken the competition) would just pour salt in the wound.

Even RD had previously shown how important just having the competition take place in your area was to the ponies of that place and what an honour it would be/is.

Edited by GrimCW

Actually it was made fairly clear that the Equestria games is like the Olympics for them. Just being part of that  "stupid sports competition" would be a HUGE honor to ALL involved, and a massive moment of pride for any town/city/country taking part. To lose your best player to a competing team thats just trying to get an edge (and weaken the competition) would just pour salt in the wound.

Even RD had previously shown how important just having the competition take place in your area was to the ponies of that place and what an honour it would be/is.

Maybe so, but it is only one event. 

Watched Digi's video a little over a day ago, and I was both surprised that he took a solid stance on that side, as well as that he does make a lot of sense. If the episode were to go with the 'her friends back off and give her the opportunity to pursue her dreams this time', Spitfire and Fleetfoot would have even less reason to display themselves as slightly stuck-up winners. Would have been interesting, at least.

Yes, it would have been bad and would have been out of character. Her element is loyalty. And plus it would be an even bigger accomplishment if she could pull out a win on the Ponyville team.

loyalty is a two way straight.

why should dash be on a team that clearly wasn't trying their best.

Dash additionally has family in clouds dail, i would assume.

flutter shy herself is from cloudsdail.

I mean, there should have been reason for dash to have a fair option to join her home town, and she should have had to make a hard choice instead of,

"wow my hero's are jerks."

It was an awkwardly written episode, but I think both it, and Rarity takes Manehatten, support the idea that the writers don't plan to have the mane 5 achieve their apparent goals. Rainbow won't become a Wonderbolt and Rarity won't leave Ponyville to become a fashion designer. That doesn't mean they won't be respected or praised for their talent. Everypony knows they are tops of their profession, but they are also known as showing their element in a way that changes the ponies who see them. Now how this will play out with the other four is hard to say since they don't have as well defined goals.

Edited by Nature's Spell

Well, let's look at the definition of loyalty:

"A strong feeling of support or allegiance."

Keeping that in mind, would it make sense for Rainbow Dash to do something that would separate her from the rest of the Mane Six? I don't think it would, but I could be wrong.

• Brohoof 1

Well, let's look at the definition of loyalty:

"A strong feeling of support or allegiance."

Keeping that in mind, would it make sense for Rainbow Dash to do something that would separate her from the rest of the Mane Six? I don't think it would, but I could be wrong.

I believe that the first video in the opening post wanted to question what RainbowDash's loyalty is being attributed towards. It points out that Ponyville as a whole had no interest in the games and that RainbowDash's teammates were clearly in this event just to be there. Contrast this to the Cloudsdale team that appear to have invested a lot more effort into this and are more serious about winning in comparison. 

On the point of loyalty itself, it is amusing when you consider RainbowDash being super competitive and having a desire to join the Wonderbolts. In a broad sense this episode highlights competing loyalties between fulfilling her aspirations v. her committment to friendship. If you choose to look at loyalty in the immediate sense, her element came from Ponyville and her element is part of the team, then it really ties her down with her present allegiances. However, when the party you associate with does questionable things like sending a questionable team to the games and having no one take it seriously, then continuing to endorse them becomes a point of nationalism or friend bias, rather than a point of friendship.

The Wonderbolts needed to be rude in order to justify RainbowDash coming to the defense of her friends. However, such a tactic is one that we often see in wars in which the other side is painted as inhumane or amoral in order to help soldiers see their enemies as being less-human and having less qualms about killing them in warfare. When you work in any industry you deal with big personalities and negotiating with them while maintaining a work relationship with them is something you never see anymore because that takes real tolerance, understanding, and compassion. It needs to be stated that real working friendships are always strained by work commitments, other friends, and sometimes just doing your best isn't good enough.

It needs to be understood that the first video approaches My Little Pony from an adult perspective. The video talker discusses that the decision would be "ok" to consider from a perspective that friendships can still exist and need to be compromised because they should be supported by people who want you to succeed and not the other way around. This is not a point of view that most children would understand because they haven't pursued their aspirations or have had to deal with compromise on a multi-level. Therefore the twist that RainbowDash would join the Wonderbolts was simply a development that would never happen because the show isn't geared towards an older population. It is geared towards children while having mature overtones.

• Brohoof 2

Yes it would have. Keep in mind, we all know that Dash idolizes the Wonderbolts but here's the thing since they were acting out of character because the last time we saw them they were acting professional and since they had to find a way to replace Soarin they went with the next best thing, Rainbow Dash. It all depends on where Dash's loyalty lies.

I believe that the first video in the opening post wanted to question what RainbowDash's loyalty is being attributed towards. It points out that Ponyville as a whole had no interest in the games and that RainbowDash's teammates were clearly in this event just to be there. Contrast this to the Cloudsdale team that appear to have invested a lot more effort into this and are more serious about winning in comparison. 

On the point of loyalty itself, it is amusing when you consider RainbowDash being super competitive and having a desire to join the Wonderbolts. In a broad sense this episode highlights competing loyalties between fulfilling her aspirations v. her committment to friendship. If you choose to look at loyalty in the immediate sense, her element came from Ponyville and her element is part of the team, then it really ties her down with her present allegiances. However, when the party you associate with does questionable things like sending a questionable team to the games and having no one take it seriously, then continuing to endorse them becomes a point of nationalism or friend bias, rather than a point of friendship.

The Wonderbolts needed to be rude in order to justify RainbowDash coming to the defense of her friends. However, such a tactic is one that we often see in wars in which the other side is painted as inhumane or amoral in order to help soldiers see their enemies as being less-human and having less qualms about killing them in warfare. When you work in any industry you deal with big personalities and negotiating with them while maintaining a work relationship with them is something you never see anymore because that takes real tolerance, understanding, and compassion. It needs to be stated that real working friendships are always strained by work commitments, other friends, and sometimes just doing your best isn't good enough.

It needs to be understood that the first video approaches My Little Pony from an adult perspective. The video talker discusses that the decision would be "ok" to consider from a perspective that friendships can still exist and need to be compromised because they should be supported by people who want you to succeed and not the other way around. This is not a point of view that most children would understand because they haven't pursued their aspirations or have had to deal with compromise on a multi-level. Therefore the twist that RainbowDash would join the Wonderbolts was simply a development that would never happen because the show isn't geared towards an older population. It is geared towards children while having mature overtones.

I know that from such a perspective, it would be okay to consider, but it would be beyond out of character for Rainbow Dash. In Wonderbolts Academy, she almost gave up her chance of ever accomplishing her dreams because she didn't feel what she was doing was right, so if she values safety more than her goals, I assume she values her friends more than her goals as well.

DashForever pretty much got it, with the way the Spitfire and Fleetfoot was acting, it would've painted Dash in a very bad light

I know that from such a perspective, it would be okay to consider, but it would be beyond out of character for Rainbow Dash. In Wonderbolts Academy, she almost gave up her chance of ever accomplishing her dreams because she didn't feel what she was doing was right, so if she values safety more than her goals, I assume she values her friends more than her goals as well.

A huge part of some recent episodes is the idea that being the best requires you to step aside for friendship or to allow others to grow and achieve. Rarity stepped aside for Coco and Rainbow stood aside for Soarin. I'm not sure if we'll see the samething for the other characters.

Edited by Nature's Spell

It shows in the end, Rainbow Dash will not likely be a Wonderbolt. There is no way the show is going to allow her to leave Ponyville and put the Wonderbolts team above that of her friends.

Edited by Singe

It shows in the end, Rainbow Dash will not likely be a Wonderbolt. There is no way the show is going to allow her to leave Ponyville and put the Wonderbolts team above that of her friends.

Agreed. I really like to think the writers have a game plan in mind for how the characters will move forward. Rarity and Rainbow Dash are the ones with the most well defined life goals, but both have started to define those goals differently. Once Twilight is given a role to play she'll pursue that like she does everything else. The other three I'm not sure about.

Edited by Nature's Spell

Well it's hard to say. 

If RD left the Ponyville team and joined the Cloudsdale team, she would have gotten more points with the WB and would get closer to joining them. Ture, Fluttershy and the big White Pony would not get to be in the games, but that does not mean Ponyville is out. There could still be 5 or 10 other teams from PV who could still win. Not to mention the episode kinda showed us that those 2 would not win with out Rainbow Dash. Everyone kept saying it. Not to mention they weren't taking things seriously. If anything those 2 should have realized that they don't belong there.

Still I can see the other side of not betraying your friends and sticking close to them. Even if it means not winning.

It shows in the end, Rainbow Dash will not likely be a Wonderbolt.

I don't agree with that. I still think if Rainbow Dash is given the chance, she will join the WB. Maybe she can become caption and try and change them. Maybe set up a second team in Ponyville. Still I think it would be alright for her to leave her friends. That would be a good lesson.

Disclaimer: I love this episode. I just think that it's far from perfect.

I think that Tommy puts it better: the episode works in the overarching plot, but doesn't really stand on it's own. I think that it is because the conflict is so poorly put together. In a more reasonable set up, Ponyville wouldn't even have a team for this particular competition and Rainbow would be free to go to Cloudsdale team. I mean... Ponyville cares so much about this particular competition that they sent their worst flyers to it?

Unless of course there is no sort of committee that is organizing this and ponies just go to a place and sign their names. In this case, the problem is that Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps wouldn't be able to compete without Rainbow. But even then, if Rainbow was free to enter Cloudsdale team, they would just have to pick another third pegasus, such as Ditzy.

I have the feeling that they should have mentioned that Dashie tried to join Cloudsdale's team, but it was closed, THEN she tried to make a Ponyville team. Then the episode's set up would make more sense.

Another thing I would have changed was the presence of the Wonderbolts. They are the best flyers in Equestria "by definition". THey are already "selected". They'd dominate the flying competitions. They should be hours concours. It would have been a lot better with Lightning Dust, for example, and two new characters.

With all that out of the way, the moral is STILL stunted because Twilight guilty trips Rainbow into "making the right choice" while disregarding Rainbow's own intentions of competing to win. She has to stay and lose together. Because that is what friends do... Sigh... And that is not even going into how absurd it would have been for Rainbow to go with Spitfire and Fleetoot scheme of putting the whimp Soarin' by the side lines.