Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ideas for interesting episodes about Applejack. What would you do?

Anilewe

Let's end with all this ''it's impossible to create a good episode about Applejack, because she has no

flaws other than her stubborness''.

I saw this argument so many times and I'm really getting annoyed everytime I see it, because it's so untrue! She's stubborn, that's right. But she's also prideful, bluntly honest, impatient, overprotective, sometimes has a tendency to be closed-minded or rude, etc. People just for some reason choose to not see it. She's interesting character and I believe that there's still a lot of possibilities to write good episodes about AJ. Episodes, which aren't about her family or farm (because that's another argument against her I saw).

For example, I once wrote in different topic about her hospitality. She treated Twilight as a member of her family, when she arrived to Ponyville in the first episode of MLP. It would be great to see episode, in which someone takes advantage of it. It could be a great opportunity to make a lesson about how important it's to be careful, because not everybody is worth your trust. Or maybe episode, in which Applejack sacrifices herself for her friends in some way? And we saw before that whenever faced with danger, Applejack conquered her fears, why not let her do it again, in her own episode? Another argument against her is that she's too stable. Well, so why not episode, in which she has a emotional breakdown? It would be hard to write a good episode like that, but not impossible. 

apple_bop_by_blackgryph0n-d55sc9t.gif

Let's show the world that she's as interesting as other characters in MLP.

And what do you think about it? What would you do? 

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 3

I would have Applejack try to solve a problem where her farm isn't earning any money from selling cider and apples to the point of the family closing their business, and AJ has to work very hard to prevent them from losing the farm. But, Filthy Rich is willing to help the Apple family keep the farm in exchange for their services.

That's about as interesting as I can get.

I think the issue isn't AJ's character, but the scope of what she can actually do for story plot outside of the farm. She's a content character that has no asperations in advancing her life as the farm is defined as her general direction for life with some rodeos on the side.

Edited by Singe

(edited)

I would have Applejack try to solve a problem where her farm isn't earning any money from selling cider and apples to the point of the family closing their business, and AJ has to work very hard to prevent them from losing the farm. But, Filthy Rich is willing to help the Apple family keep the farm in exchange for their services.

That's about as interesting as I can get.

Good, it's always something :) I would like to see Applejack so determined, ready to do almost everything to save her family. That's exactly why I love her so much, because she is so dedicated to her work and as a real leader is quick to take action. 

I think the issue isn't AJ's character, but the scope of what she can actually do for story plot outside of the farm. She's a content character that has no asperations in advancing her life as the farm is defined as her general direction for life with some rodeos on the side.

I don't think so. After all, you can say the same thing about Fluttershy, Rarity or Rainbow. Episodes about Fluttershy focus on her love for animals and her shy nature, Rarity's are always about fashion, Rainbow's about flying, etc. Fluttershy also has no asperations in advancing her life. Does it make her not interesting as a character? Think outside the box. I know that it's a popular opinion about AJ, but people just keep repeating it. I want to suggest something new - think, what would make her more interesting, what else writers can do with her character? It isn't as hard as it seems to be.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 3

Good, it's always something :) I would like to see Applejack so determined, ready to do almost everything to save her family. That's exactly why I love her so much, because she is so dedicated to her work and as a real leader is quick to take action. 

Exactly, even when the writers don't know what to do with her I'll still support AJ. :)

I don't think so. After all, you can say the same thing about Fluttershy, Rarity or Rainbow. Episodes about Fluttershy focus on her love for animals and her shy nature, Rarity's are always about fashion, Rainbow's about flying, etc. Fluttershy also has no asperations in advancing her life. Does it make her not interesting as a character? Think outside the box. I know that it's a popular opinion about AJ, but people just keep repeating it. I want to suggest something new - think, what would make her more interesting, what else writers can do with her character? It isn't as hard as it seems to be.

Real aspirations is Raindow Dash's dream to join the Wonderbolts and Rarity wants to be successful enough to move to Canterlot to live in high society. They have clear defined goals in the long run.

Edited by Singe

Real aspirations is Raindow Dash's dream to join the Wonderbolts and Rarity wants to be successful enough to move to Canterlot to live in high society.

But as I said - Fluttershy has no aspirations. The same with Pinkie. And Twilight fulfilled her dream. It doesn't make them less interesting. Think outside the box, don't repeat the same argument all over again. 

Real aspirations is Raindow Dash's dream to join the Wonderbolts and Rarity wants to be successful enough to move to Canterlot to live in high society. They have clear defined goals in the long run.

I don't get it. A pet peeve of mine is that some people seem to think characters with no goals just aren't interesting. Like Kyoko and Mami in Madoka Magica, they don't have a clearly defined goal either but still manage to be amazing characters (even though you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about). Just like these characters have no goal other than doing their job fighting witches, Applejack continues her job maintaining the farm and generally being the town's resident honest and helpful pony.

Back on topic...

"Applejack is the most dependable and honest friend a pony could have. But when rift arises between her friends, Applejack's honesty is put to the test."

Just a basic, simple plotline. Bam. 

Includes the main element of the show, friendship? Check.

Displays one of Applejack's most distinguishing characteristics? Check.

Is nothing about farming or apples? Check and check.

It's not that hard at all.

Edited by Akemi Homura
  • Brohoof 4

When the rodeo comes around again, the writers can actually have the Mane 5 attend with her and cheer AJ on.

When Applebloom gets a non-apple cutie mark, then AJ will have something new to work with.

Otherwise, it's apples galore.

I don't get it. A pet peeve of mine is that some people seem to think characters with no goals just aren't interesting. Like Kyoko and Mami in Madoka Magica, they don't have a clearly defined goal either but still manage to have amazing aspects of their character (even though you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about). Just like these characters have no goal other than doing their job fighting witches, Applejack continues her job maintaining the farm and generally being the town's resident honest and helpful pony.

It kinda gets redundant that when Applejack is focused on, most of the time will have the farm involved. Some crisis that if they fail, it spells the end of Applejack and her family.

"Applejack is the most dependable and honest friend a pony could have. But when rift arises between her friends, Applejack's honesty is put to the test."

This applies to all of the Mane 6 and Spike. Every character is capable of lying and being honest. AJ doesn't really differenate herself from the group on this one. The Candance wedding should have had her be the last pony to turn her back on Twilight instead of the only one to apologize.

Edited by Singe

(edited)

To be honest, I find it really interesting that people think that she doesn't have a goal. She wants her family and friends to be happy and is always here for them, ready to help. It's a simple goal, of course, but she's doing her best, everyday. She's stable, but why people act as if that's a bad thing? For me, it's really beautiful. I really hope that my friends think that I'm dependable, kind and honest. I wish to be like Applejack. She's a great role model for kids. She teaches them, that they can dream about simple life and it's okay. Because after the battles, she's just coming back to her normal life. And she's happy.

I don't get it. A pet peeve of mine is that some people seem to think characters with no goals just aren't interesting. Like Kyoko and Mami in Madoka Magica, they don't have a clearly defined goal either but still manage to have amazing aspects of their character (even though you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about). Just like these characters have no goal other than doing their job fighting witches, Applejack continues her job maintaining the farm and generally being the town's resident honest and helpful pony.

Back on topic...

Just a basic, simple plotline. Bam.

Includes the main element of the show, friendship? Check.

Displays one of Applejack's most distinguishing characteristics? Check.

Is nothing about farming or apples? Check and check.

It's not that hard at all.

100% agreed.

And I hope that we'll get something like that in episode with her key :D It's simple plot, but let's be honest, they're always simple.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash get AJ into pranking, but she gets so into it that she goes insane.

I dunno, I just think it would be funny to see AJ go crazy, just about every other character has done it at this point

• Brohoof 1

One of the Mane 5 does something that angers Applejack to the point that she wants nothing to do with them. Just like the way she did to the CMC in Ponyville Confidential. Her stubborn side gets in the way of making amends.

Edited by Singe

Could do something where a friend needs Applejack to keep a secret, lie, and etc. In a sense where her honesty and dependability comes into conflict with each other. Then do it three or four times with something else.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

Could do something where a friend needs Applejack to keep a secret, lie, and etc. In a sense where her honesty and dependability comes into conflict with each other. Then do it three or four times with something else.

now that you mention it, I have the feeling that Applejack's 'key' episode will be similar to this thought.

Maybe the writers should give her a goal in the long run i can't think to much what that could be. Everyone who reads this have a quick brainstorm about a good long term goal i am going to as well reply to me if you think of one because this is pretty hard to do i don't think there is a apple bucking team of elite apple buckers or any thing like that LOL.

One AJ skills is cooking. There is also PP and Spike who dabble in cooking also.

1. AJ works on developing her own original apple recipe (food or drink) to add to the family recipe book. Preferbly with Zap Apples.

2. AJ, PP, and Spike are involved in a baking contest as competitors. It gets heated between them.

3. AJ, PP, and Spike are involved in a baking contest as teamates with AJ as team leader. They have problems with AJ stubboness.

4. A famous pony chef comes to Sweet Apple Acres to check out the apples and is fascinated by AJ cooking skills. He wants to take her under his wing.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

now that you mention it, I have the feeling that Applejack's 'key' episode will be similar to this thought.

I would love to see something like that as her key episode :) In my opinion, honesty is really interesting element, because it's near impossible to be always honest. 

One AJ skills is cooking. There is also PP and Spike who dabble in cooking also.

1. AJ works on developing her own original apple recipe (food or drink) to add to the family recipe book. Preferbly with Zap Apples.

2. AJ, PP, and Spike are involved in a baking contest as competitors. It gets heated between them.

3. AJ, PP, and Spike are involved in a baking contest as teamates with AJ as team leader. They have problems with AJ stubboness.

4. A famous pony chef comes to Sweet Apple Acres to check out the apples and is fascinated by AJ cooking skills. He wants to take her under his wing.

Great ideas! I thought about something similiar, but about her musical talent :) Even on MLP wikia you can read that she played the banjo (Pinkie Apple Pie) and fiddle (A Canterlot Wedding p. 2). Maybe episode, in which we learn that she wanted to be a musican as a child, but had to focus on the farm and family and forgot about it.

Or maybe the episode, in which she learns that she can't be the best in everything? She's the perfectionist and while it's important to always try to be better, you shouldn't always want to be perfect. 

Edited by Anilewe