Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The way I view Diamond Tiara's and Silver Spoon's relationship

DryGuy84 (Inactive)

Based off scenes from the show we can tell a bit about the dynamic between DT and SS, but I want to put my interpretation of it out in the open. This won't be a perfect analysis, but I will attempt to clarify my points as well as I can.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are known as the duo that act as the foil of the CMC, and while their motivations are unclear with no concrete show evidence to back it up there is a little more to them than meets the eye.

The relationship between DT and SS is not as cut-and-dry as it first appears. In the episode "Call of the Cutie" the two girls come across as the typical mean girl (DT) and her bubbly lackey (SS), but later episodes change the dynamic up a bit, but I'm getting ahead of myself. "Call of the Cutie" shows that Silver Spoon is concerned when Diamond Tiara is angry that the CMC took their spotlight (this tidbit will be important later). 

The next episode we get insight into their relationship is actually through an indirect interaction with her via Granny Smith in "Family Appreciation Day", when Granny is done with her story Silver Spoon is the first to applaud as many have pointed out, but I rarely see people point out DT's reaction to this. If you watch DT's expression she seems shocked, angry, and confused, while many people interpreted this as confusion to why the class liked it I interpreted this reaction differently. When I saw this scene I interpreted her anger and confusion to stem from SS's applause, because based on the previous portrayal mentioned SS seems reliant on her friend for decision-making. I had no concrete evidence to back this up yet within the show, until Season 4.

"Flight to the Finish" further supported my previous suspicions on the dynamic between the fillies. When Silver Spoon asks Diamond Tiara "...what do we do now? We already called them [CMC] Blank Flanks!" I laughed, but realized the confirmation of her reliance on Diamond Tiara to guide her, meaning her act in "Family Appreciation Day" was indeed an anomaly.

The final episode I want to bring up is the latest one "Pinkie Pride." DT and SS make brief appearances, but it says alot about their relationship when combined with the previous episodes. In the appearance DT pushes her ice cream of the table and steals SS's milkshake, but when DT looks at Pinkie SS steals it back (that first tidbit is about to become relevant). This clearly shows that the leader of the pack doesn't share the same respect and concern for her lackey as her lackey does for her, and that SS, despite relying on DT for guidance for their actions, is not afraid to stand up to her. This ties together my previous points and means that SS is not a mindless lackey, and DT is not in absolute control of her friends actions.

TL;DR-esque summary:

Though Silver Spoon often relies on Diamond Tiara for guidance she can think for herself and will respond in kind, but "insubordinate" behavior seems rare. Also, despite Silver Spoon's concern for Diamond Tiara in "Call of the Cutie" the deed is not reciprocated by Diamond Tiara, judging by their brief interactions in "Pinkie Pride." 

Feel free to discuss your take on the fillies' relationship below, or just comment on this massive wall of text I wrote and lack of an exciting social life.  ^_^

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 5

Silver Spoon seems like a genuine pony with a good heart. Deep inside, I feel that she knows that Diamond Tiara is a horrible friend to her and also that she knows that the way she treats other ponies is wrong and cruel, however, she stays by her side cuz that's the price that she has to pay to be a 'cool' pony... perhaps she has a very bad case of self-esteem issues, and she fills that void by staying on Diamond Tiara's side.

• Brohoof 2

Silver Spoon seems like a genuine pony with a good heart. Deep inside, I feel that she knows that Diamond Tiara is a horrible friend to her and also that she knows that the way she treats other ponies is wrong and cruel, however, she stays by her side cuz that's the price that she has to pay to be a 'cool' pony... perhaps she has a very bad case of self-esteem issues, and she fills that void by staying on Diamond Tiara's side.

My problem with this is that we've never really seen if Diamond Tiara is popular, by the way her classmates treat her in "Call of the Cutie" and "Ponyville Confidential" I don't think she is.

Their relation and behavior stems from being ignored by their parents, and being put off by them for work. SS may apear to be DT lackey, but due to the fact that neither of them have really anyone but eatchother, due to their parents ignoring them, their relationship has more than enough room to grow into a more of a partner ship rather than leader and lackey. 

Their relation and behavior stems from being ignored by their parents, and being put off by them for work. SS may apear to be DT lackey, but due to the fact that neither of them have really anyone but eatchother, due to their parents ignoring them, their relationship has more than enough room to grow into a more of a partner ship rather than leader and lackey. 

Maybe, but that's merely speculation since we don't know anything about SS's parents, and we know very little about DT's parent(s). I think it's highly likely that your statement could be true, but I can't say I agree until the show develops this aspect more.

I think that Silver Spoon knows how to speak up for herself, but she decides not to speak up for herself if she was to anger Diamond Tiara. That's how I see it.

I think their interactions in "Pinkie Pride" and "Family Appreciation Day" say otherwise (the former, especially).

I think their interactions in "Pinkie Pride" and "Family Appreciation Day" say otherwise (the former, especially).

Okay besides those two episodes, it was just in spite. I just wish she could stand up more often, maybe it can happen again.

• Brohoof 1

I think they're the rare "villain friends" Seeing villains who have genuine friendship is rare. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 

William, Bert, and Tom from Hobbit

Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed from Lion King

Jeice and Burter from DBZ

• Brohoof 1

I think they're the rare "villain friends" Seeing villains who have genuine friendship is rare. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 

William, Bert, and Tom from Hobbit

Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed from Lion King

Jeice and Burter from DBZ

I like this interpretation as well. Brohoofed.

• Brohoof 1

@,

Like most villains friends though, their relationship is rocky.

William, Tom, and Bert smack each other constantly and while it is clearly not serious, it's not healthy either

Banzai and Ed have tried to kill each other several times

Jeice and Burter went berserk when they accidentally hit each other, losing their focus on Goku entirely

DT and SS have arguements

Okay besides those two episodes, it was just in spite. I just wish she could stand up more often, maybe it can happen again.

True, and I just want these characters more developed in general so their motivations and characterization are made more clear. If this never happens within show I won't be upset though.

• Brohoof 1

True, and I just want these characters more developed in general so their motivations and characterization are made more clear. If this never happens within show I won't be upset though.

I won't be upset either, the writers have to take their opportunities and run with them but if they choose not to develop these characters even more it's fine.

• Brohoof 1

That pretty much matches my view of them. Ponyville Confidential actually gives a bit more insight, by the fact that Diamond Tiara is as nasty as ever even without Silver Spoon to back her up. But we don't really know what SS is like on her own, aside from hints like her clapping for Granny Smith.

But in other episodes like Cutie Pox and One Bad Apple, we see that they're quite in-sync most of the time. So SS may be a little nicer, but probably not that much.

I ship 'em :3

• Brohoof 1

ill be blunt...DT is pretty much a jerk.

i like silver to be honest,as she does have potential by herself,but probably is more of the voice of reasonas her friend probably goes off to the deep end for her dislike of her blank flank supposed thorns in her side and keeps her in check.

See this is why these two need more development.

Now true DT is, and excuse my language, a bitch.

She is worse than any other fictional bully I ever seen.

SS on the other hand is interesting. I don't see her as a bad person per say, rather that she needs someone because she is alone, in my interpretation and DT may have been the only one to understand her.

These two could make a great episode about feeling ignored by family, but knowing Hasbro that won't fly.

• Brohoof 1

SS on the other hand is interesting. I don't see her as a bad person per say, rather that she needs someone because she is alone, in my interpretation and DT may have been the only one to understand her.

Yeah, I had a similar thought before, but the explanation started getting too long and complicated. SS may have tried to make friends when she was little, and got rejected because she acted too snobby (unintentionally), and DT was the only one who would accept her. That could explain her playing the lackey most of the time, if she feels indebted to DT for being her friend. But she's probably old enough now to be able to see herself more clearly and suppress her snobbish behaviors if she wanted to. So in that case, SS might be sort of trapped in an unfulfilling relationship with DT at this point, if she'd rather have nicer friends, but doesn't want to leave DT miserable and alone in the process.

But I kind of don't think she's that nice, and was introduced to DT by their parents knowing eachother, and their boss/lackey relationship developed some other way. Maybe DT just being more clever at a young age, and coming up with more effective plans for them to get their way.

I know a lot of people like to see Silver Spoon as the pony with self-esteem issues clinging to Diamond Tiara just to avoid getting bullied, but I just can't see that. Everyone always points to the clapping scene as if being the first to clap for a presentation makes SS so innocent all of a sudden, not to mention that DT doesn't do anything bad until Apple Bloom decides to rub victory in DT's face. Pretty much every time DT is up to no good, SS is right behind her, no signs of hesitation (heck, even asking what to do next); I believe Silver Spoon even took initiative in making fun of Apple Bloom in that same episode.

I think they are friends, like, for real friends. Even though Silver Spoon seems to be following along for the most part, she seems to tag along with Diamond Tiara entirely of her own volition.

• Brohoof 2

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon:

They are both the same and different in many ways, But why are they friends?

This answer can be solve by going into the past eps, of which I do not know. Both of them ( Mainly Diamond Tiara ) treats the other one like poop, maybe it's because of their friendship and how it is broken, but Sliver Spoon is the only one that can fix it because she cares about her and by doing so she backs Diamond Tiara up when time comes. They might have a connection through the history of their friendship but who knows, this is only a guess.

I know it's a TV show, but I think in life that DT and SS wouldn't stay friends long term. While SS was bratty, she has shown considerable growth since season one, while DT hasn't. It's an uneven friendship, and I think SS would eventually stand up to DT, not wanting to put up with her bullshit anymore. However, I doubt that'll ever happen.

As I'm sure many other ponies have already said, Silver Spoon is most likely acting under peer pressure. This is clearly shown through the little hints that everypony has already pointed out - DT and SS fighting over the milkshake in "Pinkie Pride", SS falling asleep during Filthy Rich's presentation, though being the first to applaud Granny Smith's... She even agrees with Apple Bloom in "Family Appreciation Day" when she mentions that "if it wasn't for [AB's] Granny Smith, [DT's] father wouldn't have Barnyard Bargains."

If perhaps Silver Spoon would overcome her fear of pressure and step out to a greater reputation, I think she'd be a great character. Who knows? Maybe the writers will let it happen.