Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's maturity

Forlong

I was wondering why there was so much Spike neglect. When she pretty much announced her obsession over Trenderhoof, he simply closed his eyes and smiled calmly. What's with that?

You're probably right, he's a lot more mature, but still, it makes me wonder if he planned the whole thing.

I was wondering why there was so much Spike neglect. When she pretty much announced her obsession over Trenderhoof, he simply closed his eyes and smiled calmly. What's with that?

You're probably right, he's a lot more mature, but still, it makes me wonder if he planned the whole thing.

I'm not sure what people were hopping for?

spike to snap on rarity and have her react poorly?  cause that's what would have happened.  It would have been a real ugly scene.

Spike and rarity are at a healthy medium he knows he has a crush on her, she knows it, we know it,

and their still cool with each other as friends.

It can be done.  Is it satisfying?  No.

But to take raritys side....

He is a minor.  kinda like if you were a kid and had a crush on a teacher, or who ever.

Rarity handles it

well minus the slave labor,

well.

• Brohoof 1

A lot of fans were distracted by the fact Spike had no problem with Rarity being obsessed with Trenderhoof. Even having a shrine to him and all that.

Here's the thing though. Rarity has had crushes on other big name stallions in the past, i.e. Pr. Blueblood and possibly Fancypants.

So this shouldn't be all that new to him. However, this is the first crush Rarity has had on another stallion since Spike revealed his crush on HER. If that's the part of it that bothers people, I'd understand. I personally like how Spike has matured since his crush came to Rarity's attention. It could be that Spike sees Rarity as more of a friend now than a fantasy love interest.

So while people were bothered about how Spike wasn't bothered by Rarity's latest crush, I thought it was a good character trait for the little guy. It goes to show how far he's come in terms of jealousy. If he did, it would pretty much be Owl's Well to Ends Well all over again.

he is a child

Actually , he is most likely around 17 now (estimating that two years have passes since the start of the show) and by any rights  he should have matured already now, if it wasn't for his feelings for Rarity. It's his body that's still a child, his mind is quite another matter.

didn't Spike confess his love for her back in season 2? How did Rarity forget about that?

Well, she does feel affection for him, but it's obviously nowhere near the level as his feelings for her. Its one of the things that makes their relationship entertaining.

As Olaf the snowman would say, "Love is putting others before yourself".

This, so much this. Spike is a real gentleman, unlike s many individuals you met nowadays.

Speaking of which:

I can only assumed he's now biding his time hoping to escape the-friend-zone.jpg
Big Mac feels Spike's pain.

For goodness sake: The Friendzone is not a thing. Women are not obligated to date/bang you for being treated with decency.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

Speaking of which:

For goodness sake: The Friendzone is not a thing. Women are not obligated to date/bang you for being treated with decency.

Can't speak for GoldenCal, but I was just joking.

I'll never understand why some people think that spikexrarity is a good ship. They, literally, have zero chemistry. That's not even getting into whether or not he's old enough for her. Folks, real talk for a moment, when shipping characters, you want to go with ones that you have reason to believe would make a good couple, not because you just think they'd look "cute" together (which I'm almost certain is the only reason anyone ships them)

Sufficient reason to believe they would last as a couple, such as having similar interests and ideals.

-both are somewhat torn between selfishness/greed and generosity

-both have a tendency towards the melodramatic

-both seem to have a pretty storybook idea of romance

-they clearly care about each other (though Spike's feelings are clearly stronger)

-Spike's feelings are actually strong enough  to suppress his species' nature

Actually , he is most likely around 17 now (estimating that two years have passes since the start of the show) and by any rights  he should have matured already now, if it wasn't for his feelings for Rarity. It's his body that's still a child, his mind is quite another matter.

Good point. But these characters act as if they are ageless. Until the show acknowledges that Spike has grown, I'd think that he is a child.

About friendzone... True, the girl has no obligation to date the guy. And when she says no, but wants to keep him around to make use of his "friendship", and the whimp can't see that it's nothing more than friendship and loses all sense of self worth trying to woo the girl, that is "friendzone".

-both are somewhat torn between selfishness/greed and generosity

-both have a tendency towards the melodramatic

-both seem to have a pretty storybook idea of romance

-they clearly care about each other (though Spike's feelings are clearly stronger)

-Spike's feelings are actually strong enough  to suppress his species' nature

Yes well only the fact that they care about each other is good reason, but it alone isn't enough of course. The first 3 aren't exactly things that would make two people a good couple, and the fifth one isn't really a reason at all. When I said similar interests and ideals, I meant they both like the same hobbies, and share the same moral beliefs, along with caring about each other and getting along. Without all that, there's not a convincing argument for said ship. Like I don't see a couple that doesn't even share the interests spending much time with each other, which is not good for a relationship.

Sure, you don't wanna be around each other all the time, but if you find yourselves consistently wanting to do different things, and having to choose between either you and or your partner having to take part in something you or they have no interest, or doing said things separately, than your relationship probably isn't gonna work out. Which brings us back to one of the problems with Sparity, what interests do they have in common? Cause I can't think of fuck all. On that note, what exactly IS Spike interested in? Beyond eating gems, and Rarity.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

Like I don't see a couple that doesn't even share the interests spending much time with each other, which is not good for a relationship.

By that definition Shining Armor and Cadence shouldn't be together either, since we don't know of any interests they share. Or for that matter most couples in fiction.

Also, we know that Spike and Rarity share an interest in Musicals (Rarity takes Manehatten) and performing on stage (Heart's Warming Eve).

• Brohoof 1

I'll never understand why some people think that spikexrarity is a good ship. They, literally, have zero chemistry. That's not even getting into whether or not he's old enough for her. Folks, real talk for a moment, when shipping characters, you want to go with ones that you have reason to believe would make a good couple, not because you just think they'd look "cute" together (which I'm almost certain is the only reason anyone ships them)

Because they're both fun characters, they share an interesting dynamic, the writers themselves are encouraging it, and who says they have to hook up while Spike is still adolescent (I peg him to be at least fourteen by this point in the series)?

The fact that a unicorn and dragon couple is totes adorb is a bonus.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if anyone in the show has endured as much pain, torment, and sacrificed more than Spike has. Even through everything he's been through, he still does what he has to do to help his friends. Even if it means putting aside his affections for Rarity to assist her.

I said it before and I'll say it again.

I think Spike is a character much better written in fanfics than in the show. Fanfics actually take advantage of the character potential that Spike has. I still wonder if Spike ever gets concerned with what will he do when he grows up really big. It could be one of those episodes where a character is concerned about the future. Yeah it was done in It's About Time, but I think this can be a lot stronger since it's actually a legit fear for Spike to have.

This episode definitely shows that Spike is growing up and learning that there will be a time when he will be with Rarity and that he must be prepared to accept the fact that she wouldn't like him the same way.

He was, at first, just a kid; a baby dragon who's basically like your average child from their birth to the age of 12 and he's showing signs of maturity in this episode which shows him taking the next step into becoming something more than just a baby dragon and an assistant.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...