Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's maturity

Forlong

Is it just me, or does Simple Ways contain one of the best portrayals of Spike yet?  I mean, we all know how he feels about Rarity.  The episode even touches on it and the fact that Rarity doesn't feel the same way about him.  Yet he doesn't let it get to him.  He continues to be there for Rarity and support her pursuing happiness, even if it means letting her be with somepony else.  He wants to be with her, but making her happy is far more important to him.  He handled unrequited love with far more maturity than Rarity did.

Dang, Spike, whoever you do end up with will be the luckiest pony, dragon, or whatever in your entire universe.  Maybe Twilight was on to something when she gave him the Element of Loyalty.

• Brohoof 21

One of the best portrayals of Spike yet, I have to say yes. I was expecting Spike to start to freak out about Rarity having a shrine dedicated to a pony that she adores, Rarity fangirling over Tenderhoof, but even after all of that Spike still decided to help Rarity out no matter what the cost.

• Brohoof 6

I gotta say, I had mad respect for the way Spike handled himself in this episode.

He's still a child, and his crush on Rarity seems to be legitimate, but, even though he was sitting by and watching all of this by her side, he maintained being a good friend to her and handled it extremely well.

You go Spike /)

• Brohoof 6

I have to say that I really liked what they did with Spike this episode. The problem is that I don't trust the writers to follow up on this.

By that I mean that in the very next episode Spike will probably be back to his old self.

Here is what I would like to happen: either Spike grows out of his crush for Rarity and stops being such a tool OR the writers work out some way to show that Rarity actually likes Spike the way I would Spike would like. I know this is problematic because he is a child, he is from a different species. And the "I will wait for you" trope makes want to puke. But heck... This show has surprised me enough times for me to think that they can pull it off.

But most likely Spike will be reset...  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 1

I do agree, this is the probably some of the best of Spike we've seen all year, especially when this season's really been putting him down too much.

However, "Simple Ways" could have done so much better if it had been Spike delivering the moral to Rarity rather than Applejack. Granted, I love the Rarihick/Applejewel act as much as the next pony, but the benefits would have been twofold: the pacing issue that I have with Rarity's sudden discovery of the moral at the end of the Rarihick/Applejewel act would have been resolved, and we would finally have positive character development for Spike, probably his biggest turning point since he was credited with saving the Crystal Empire. I seriously hope that they don't throw away and regress his character again, but hopefully one writer comes forward and stops the trend of regressing Spike by giving him a performance as good as this episode could have potentially given him.

Spike in my mind is growing a lot. He loves (rather than has a crush on) Rarity but at the same time wants her to be happy. I thought at first he knew Rarity's crush was going to be another Blueblood but was going to help her anyway if it made her happy. I honestly hope Spike and Rarity wind up together someday, somehow. A man can dream can he.

• Brohoof 2

This might be just hopeful thinking but it could also be a sign that spike is letting go of his one sided love interest and accepting the good friend status instead? maybe his heart is moving on?

• Brohoof 2

I have to admit, I thought it was odd that Spike didn't really react to the crush thing outside of the a shared moment of annoyance or being weirded-out with the audience, but yeah, in retrospect, it makes him a better character. 

It took everyone four seasons, but now the truth is revealed: I was totally right about Spike being Best Pony all along.

Just thought of something: didn't Spike confess his love for her back in season 2?  How did Rarity forget about that?

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2011-12-10 at 10.17.15 PM.png

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah, that part was weird. Sort of makes Rarity look kind of ignorant now.

• Brohoof 1

Spike has never been the jealous type when it comes to Rarity, he's still sticking by his lesson from Season 1 that being jealous would result in more hardship for them both.

Edited by Singe

Spike handled himself like a baws in this episode as he was being a great friend to Rarity even though she's going loco over another pony.

(Off Topic.. but is it just me, or did Trenderhoof remind ANYONE else of Gilderoy Lockhart seeing as he was an acclaimed writer who possibly made his adventures up?)

• Brohoof 3

This portrayal of Spike is probably the best portrayal of him since Dragon's Quest imo. It shows that he cares more about Rarity being happy than his love for her. I've expected him to take the whole Tenderhoof thing terribly, but instead he handled it rather maturely and was more than willing to help Rarity win Tender's heart despite his crush for her. I hope that the writers continue to give more development like this to Spike in the future.

• Brohoof 1

Some ponies from another place have a bad history with dragons. This results in them being "specist" towards Spike when they come to Ponyville and they run into each other.

Edited by Singe

He lives alone as a virgen chronic gamer.

First off, if you're gonna insult Button, spell your insults right. Second, do you really think Spike is going to go for Sweetie if he has his heart broken by Rarity, he has his flaws, but he's better than that. Dont you think so? Third, I support SweetieMash and find it adorable. Now what should I buy with your money, sir? Or are you just trolling the crap out of us right now?

Edited by Vorax

As Olaf the snowman would say, "Love is putting others before yourself".

Spike showed great control when a Rarity confided in him; he was willing to listen to her woes because he truly cares about her. No denying, however, that he was still a bit irked and broken hearted at the fact that Rarity felt this way. Maybe this was what drove him to shrug and murmur in reply. Nonetheless, he didn't blow his fuse because he still lives by the desire to impress and comfort Rarity, whether it be rescuing her or merely keeping his mouth shut when he feels he should.

• Brohoof 3

Is it just me, or does Simple Ways contain one of the best portrayals of Spike yet?  I mean, we all know how he feels about Rarity.  The episode even touches on it and the fact that Rarity doesn't feel the same way about him.  Yet he doesn't let it get to him.  He continues to be there for Rarity and support her pursuing happiness, even if it means letting her be with somepony else.  He wants to be with her, but making her happy is far more important to him.  He handled unrequited love with far more maturity than Rarity did.

Dang, Spike, whoever you do end up with will be the luckiest pony, dragon, or whatever in your entire universe.  Maybe Twilight was on to something when she gave him the Element of Loyalty.

I really like this version of spike one we say alot in season 1 and 2 where he would have the answer to twilight's problem and would eventually be right. Also deadpan expression reminds me of his an outhouse joke in winter wrap up. I can only assumed he's now biding his time hoping to escape 

the-friend-zone.jpg

Spike is happy with his current role with Rarity for now, he's currently the only non-family male she needs in her life, she acknowledges and appreciates Spike's service.

This is one society where one can't just randomly go out and kiss someone on the mouth like in Legend of Korra. Especially with Rarity. Love and courting takes time in FIM.

Edited by Singe

I really like this version of spike one we say alot in season 1 and 2 where he would have the answer to twilight's problem and would eventually be right. Also deadpan expression reminds me of his an outhouse joke in winter wrap up. I can only assumed he's now biding his time hoping to escape 

img-2293288-1-the-friend-zone.jpg

Big Mac feels Spike's pain.

Totally agree. Spike always was very loyal no matter what, not only in last episode. Spike reminds me myself to be honest (you know his behavior in Simple ways). I feel sorry for Spike and in same moment I respect him as a man. I know that it's impossible but I have nothing against RarityxSpike union. Moreover, I would be totally okay if Twilight would be on Rarity place. Yes, hear me right, I'm would not against if Spike would crash in Twilight instead Rarity.

P.S. Spike is still the best option for Rarity. (No shipping)

Spike made the episode.  He was best pony.

that in itself is pretty amazing.  One could argue he was a bad friend for letting rarity make an ass out of herself,

maybe he should said something, but it's not like she would have listened.