Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Anime or Cartoon?

Gravelord Neat-O

It depends. There's a distinct style difference between anime and cartoons, with anime usually being for mature audiences while cartoons are usually more lighthearted, for younger audiences (I say usually because there are some animes meant for kids and some cartoons meant for adults).

However, there are western animated shows that can be classified as anime, like RWBY. RWBY is western animation, yet it has that style that people associate with anime. For this reason, RWBY is called an anime. And I'm sure there's eastern animation that can be classified as cartoons.

To me, it doesn't really matter where a show is produced. What matters is if the show has that distinct anime style. Also, I don't like when people think of anime as a type of cartoon. I prefer to think of them as two types of animation.

Sigh this again. Remember anime was inspired by cartoons in the earlier days and adopted it then later when off on it's own tangent. Then cartoons have begun to adopt anime elements these days. I just call them cartoons, animations, anime, to me they're all the same. 

• 4 months later...

Cartoons all the way! I don't like anime, although I watch a few with my sister anyways. I can't stand the "odd-looking" animation and voice acting.

But I have respect for DBZ and Pokemon. I like Pikachu even though I've never really watched it before. XD

Edited by Elemental Fluttershy

To me, anime and cartoon is very different. The underlying culture is leagues apart for a start. But I notice a trend where there is more underlying dramas in anime. That's not to say it's better, but the style of storytelling in Japan has made it very interesting to watch from a Western perspective.

I have no idea if the Japanese watch Western Cartoons though.

I don't go out of my way to watch either Anime nor cartoon since I prefer live action. Haha.

Animé is a cartoon genre. A Japanese word stemming from the Franglais word "animation" from Latin animatio. The style is in line with cartoons and a lot of animé (not all but a lot) are played at what Americans would call Saturday-morning-cartoon block.

They're cartoons. It doesn't matter what country made them or how awesome you think it is.

What's the problem?

Does Dragon Ball Z/Bleach/Naruto/Black Butler/Akame Ga Kill/Ouran High School Host Club/One Punch Man (or another anime) look like Gravity Falls, MLP;FIM, Steven Universe (etc.)? To me they seem pretty different. Anime is usually more for a maturer audience as it often shows gore, nudity and stuff.

But if someone says it near me, I just ignore them and not lash out in rage because I'm civilized. I must disagree with those people, and they are usually trolls.

In South America and Japan these are morning shows. In these countries its normal for children to watch.

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1

Ima going to say anime given how much more it seems to go into in story and plot and style in a given.  Normal Western cartoons also tend to be 11-15 mins but also given most cartoons range is for a younger age range which is understandable.    While Anime tends to be in all ranges in story and who it tries to hit.  I've got a few normal cartoons I like such as MLP and Steven Universe .

Anime is really just the Japanese word for cartoons, so it doesn't matter all that much. I generally refer to Japanese cartoons as anime, and to Western cartoons as cartoons. Actually, now that I think about it, I usually refer to Western shows as 'animated shows' because I feel 'cartoon' sounds wrong for a lot of things. I'd consider MLP a cartoon but I'd call Gravity Falls an animated show. I'm just a bit weird when it comes to these things.

Hmmm, I would say anime, but then, I actually like the mangas who are adapted in anime, even if today a lot of animes actually don't have an original manga...

Also, anime is generally more mature than cartoons, but then, "cartoons" is for people now the name for children's animated series which are made in an american fashion, so I don't really consider anime and cartoons the same thing...

Edited by Xeltor

Um, is there REALLY a difference? It's just like comparing Coke to Pepsi. They're both cola drinks.  :confused:

Anime IS cartoons in my opinion, it's just made in Japan and in a different style to most western animated series. I prefer both, wether it's Japanese or American animation. :)

Edited by DJ Gumball

I would say anime depending on the art style and the general plot. Plots with darker tones with the general anime look would be anime, and animations with lighter tones and no real specific art style would be a cartoon.

Although the Japanese call all animation from any country anime, we have adapted the term to describe Japanese animation, and I actually don't see why people want to fight that.

I actually have always seen them as very different, and enjoy them for different reasons. For you see, I enjoy cartoons even though they are generally episodic and don't follow a clear storyline... However, when I see anime like that, I find it very hard to enjoy them. Episodic anime can rarely keep my attached. Think Gintama, OMG. That series is so boring, I have no idea how I got 55 entire episodes into it. >.<

I think the only purely episodic anime series I have ever enjoyed is Lupin the Third. And ironically, when they try to create a Lupin series that isn't episodic like that Fujiko series, or 2015 series, I don't enjoy them anywhere near as much.

...I think I got off of my point here. xD

Everyone knows the Western usage of the word "anime". For the term "cartoon", it mainly referred to a specific quick and exaggerated style of drawing, as in newspapers and comic books, until it was translated to the film medium through animation. Now the term refers to both the former and any animated form of entertainment.

Is the term "cartoon" accurate to describe animation, considering the origins of the term? It truly depends on the style of the work and what the creator of the work intended. Sometimes it's easy to brush something off by calling it a cartoon, while others embrace the term. It's inaccurate to describe something with a high degree of realism and a lower sense of exaggeration as a cartoon. It is accurate for the most dominant styles of animation we see these days, however, those which are stylized, raw in emotion, humor, or action. This would apply to much of Japan's output as well.

I like both and I go through phases, currently western cartoons are going through a renaissance (Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, Over the Garden wall, Gravity Falls... I could go on and on) and are a lot 'fresher' story wise than most anime I've been seeing come out.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 2014-02-20 at 8:14 AM, Gravelord Neat-O said:

what do you prefer to call it, Anime? or Cartoons? 

Anime if it is Anime.
Cartoon if it is a cartoon.

It is really that simple to me.