animation Anime or Cartoon?

Gravelord Neat-O

If your into more fun, adventurous, and kid friendly fun, then you go with cartoons.

If your into story, character developments, and more action orientations, then you go with anime.

Personally, while I do love cartoons, I enjoy anime just much more.

• Brohoof 1

I like both but I'm not over zealous of either one.

I grew up on Saturday morning cartoons and in later years turned to anime.

But with either of them, they gotta be decent to watch. I don't like garbage pail humor or animation that looks likes been drawn by a three fingered junky on jolt

Personally, I have to agree with those saying 'animation is animation', regardless of where it comes from. To be honest, I really wish people would stop using 'anime' and 'cartoon' as genres at all. In theory, the fact that something is animated shouldn't say anything about what type of story you intend to tell. However, by making art styles into genres, we effectively reinforce the notion that 'cartoons are for kids' and 'anime is for hentai-obsessed perverts' since you're providing a dichotomy which allows for stereotyping. This is a shame because I feel animation is vastly underutilised and these sorts of stereotypes limit the extent to which directors/writers will use it.

Edited by SanityNotIncluded
  • Brohoof 1

I always call it anime. That's just the way I am. I don't really watch anime, I don't have anything against it, It's just not the style I like/am accustomed too. And I have an extremely bad habit about not liking anything " new" and not wanting to be " open to different things"

True story, I know so little about anime that once my friend on Skype asked me " if I like bleach"?

And my response was " I guess it's ok, but it turns all my clothes pink".

...that's how much I know about anime ...all though I did watch a tiny bit of Pokemon back in the day...does that count?

I just like animation in general. I'm a huge fan and I like all different kinds. I have a great appreciation for animation. So country of origin doesn't really matter to me. While each has its own formatting, tropes, etc, at the end of the day, a cartoon's a cartoon. In terms of things like scripting, if I'm looking for something more serious, I'll generally go with an anime and if I want something more fun, I'll go with an American cartoon. Though there are a lot of exceptions. Crayon Shin-Chan isn't serious at all and... Well, I guess America doesn't have too terribly many serious cartoons. But either way, depends on what I'm in the mood for.

tl;dr, I like both.

I call anime "anime" because when I use the term people instantly know what I'm talking about. When I say cartoon one might think I'm talking about Adventure Time, or Steven Universe. When I say "anime" I'm referring to shows like Attack on Titan, Death Note, and Code Geass.

I mean, you can call anime "cartoons" if you want, because in the end they are cartoons. However there is a huge difference between shows like Adventure time and Attack on Titan. This is why I call one anime, and one cartoon. It's simply to differentiate between the two.

XD HAHAHA.

Sorry, but when a kid called it cartoon, I kinda yelled at him saying it's anime. I didn't know that many people do that.

But anyways, it's odd that that is is athing, because anime IS cartoon. It's just the Japanese word for it. Still means the same thing.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Cartoon and Anime are close to being the same thing. It's easy to turn a cartoon into anime. This how you do it:

Step 1: Draw a character digitally and colour it.

Step 2: Add lining details to their hair.

Step 3: Add a cheesy glow effect to everything.

Congratulations! You have made an anime!

Edited by Baby Dinosaur
  • Brohoof 1

Anime is actually the shortened term, (unfortunately I cannot find the original word), coming directly from the English word animation. In Japan, it applies to anything animated, whereas most everywhere else in the world uses it to define animation made in Japan.

Does Dragon Ball Z/Bleach/Naruto/Black Butler/Akame Ga Kill/Ouran High School Host Club/One Punch Man (or another anime) look like Gravity Falls, MLP;FIM, Steven Universe (etc.)? To me they seem pretty different. Anime is usually more for a maturer audience as it often shows gore, nudity and stuff.

But if someone says it near me, I just ignore them and not lash out in rage because I'm civilized. I must disagree with those people, and they are usually trolls.

I would call Japanese animation anime while western animation like MLP FIM, Gravity Falls and Steven Universe to be cartoons.

There is a distinct style difference between these two types of animations, and thus get called different things to distinguish them from eachother.

While anime technically is a cartoon, the term cartoon is widely used in a western connotation. Anime is it's own distinct style within the realm of cartoons. It's more so to help be specific. Yes, both are cartoons, but S.A.O. & Fairy Tail differ quite a bit from Futurama & Regular Show. Anime is more stylized and spans across a wider range of genres & subgenres, and is taken a lot more seriously in Japan. While in America, animation is mostly for kids and typically falls under comedy and action. 

Choose to live in a world without yugioh, beyblade, pokemon, One Piece, Dragon ball Z and One punch man or a world without Gravity Falls, MLP, cartoon netwrok or disney movies?

interesting queston...

3181587.jpg

I like to separate them. Cartoons are for children and are a different style of drawing usually, plus they are meant to be really fun and funny. also anime are more serious... well most of the time and they are ofen meant for younger audiences then cartoons are. Shout out cartoon: PUCCA! shout out anime: FAIRY TAIL!

I love fairy tail it's the best!

Edited by Princess Nidra

Anime is nothing more, than a japanese word for Animation i guess.

There are some Anime that looks like normal american Cartoons ( the My Little Pony Movie for example...yeah, it was co produced by Toei, look it up ! ) and there are Cartoons that look like Anime, like Avatar for example.

So i actually dont care if people call them anime or cartoons, because sometimes there look the same. So...its both Animation, so why care?

But it still helps people to get a better idea about what the animation might look like. Most american cartoons, look like cartoons, and most anime look like anime.

I dont care if people call anime, anime or cartoon but i can understand if they prefer to call japanese animation, anime.

I personally prefer just to say the name of the series i watch, because if i say, i love to watch anime, that could get people the idea, that i watch it way more than american stuff, but i actually dislike a high amount of anime. And i dislike a high amount of cartoons.

So all in all, when i talk about a series, i just tell people the name of the series. Also, why does Animation coming from other countrys than america and japan dont have their own names?Thats kind of unfair. Or have they?  :wacko:  Or is everything not made in japan, just simply called cartoons? :huh:

Edited by Rex Ruthless