Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can watching MLP improve your intelligence?

jackleapp81

My mom walked in the other day when I was watching MLP, and she said to me:

You're going to fry all of your brain cells watching cartoons."

I said to her,

"But it's MLP. It's more intelligently put-together than your average cartoon show. There's more depth to it."

"I don't think so. It's just another cartoon, they all make people more un-productive and lazy. You might as well be watching Spongebob. It'd have the same effect."

I rolled my eyes.

But her accusations did get me thinking:

Does MLP stimulate your mind? Can it make you more intelligent? More creative? Have any of you noticed a change in your mental proficiency after you watched the show? 

Edited by jackleapp81
  • Brohoof 1

I doubt it could make you more "intelligent" but it might possibly make you more friendly and more open to giving advice, usually getting the information from the show's friendship lessons. It might make you more creative as well since people have different reactions to the average types of cartoons. It's possible that watching MLP might give you an art style you learned to like, thus making you more 'creative'. Of course, MLP teaches way more than something like Spongebob. I haven't noticed any changes in me for the most part other than wanting to be more like Twilight, seeing as how she's an excellent role model on how to be intelligent yet modest and always thirsting for more knowledge. 

• Brohoof 1

My mom walked in the other day when I was watching MLP, and she said to me:

You're going to fry all of your brain cells watching cartoons."

I said to her,

"But it's MLP. It's more intelligently put-together than your average cartoon show. There's more depth to it."

"I don't think so. It's just another cartoon, they all make people more un-productive and lazy. You might as well be watching Spongebob. It'd have the same effect."

I rolled my eyes.

But her accusations did get me thinking:

Does MLP stimulate your mind? Can it make you more intelligent? More creative? Have any of you noticed a change in your mental proficiency after you watched the show? 

Watching technicolor ponies talk about the power of friendship won't increase your IQ.

It won't raise your IQ and certainly is not a show that challenges you in any way. It might have a couple of interesting tidbits of information that you could remember and later on mention or something, but otherwise it is not a show oriented to brain work outs.

It may teach morals and good social standing, but it's not going to make you more intelligent :P

I think if it had an effect, it would be indirect. I think having life lessons (and in some cases, common sense) rehashed to you likely won't increase your IQ. Shows that teach intellectually-relevant material directly and effectively are what will likely increase said mental capabilities in my opinion.

So, the question becomes more, does it inspire you to change in some way? And if it does, can it still claim credit?

If MLP somehow inspired you to look into stories in general with greater depth, or take on a project you learn a lot of things from which just snowballs into an impressive amount of improvement... How much of that can be attributed to MLP? Can the kid who decided to put things off because he had ponies to watch say that MLP made him lazier?

I think MLP is just another stimulus input that gives us room for good and bad.

Though I do think it has a little more potential for the first than many cartoons, because as an indirect source of potential change, it seems to have a fairly strong theme of creativity and positivity.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 1

Unless you are a young child it probably will not increase your IQ and even then it still might not. What it has done though for a lot of people is it has made a lot of people more open minded and accepting as well as bringing out the creative side in many people which are both good things but not entirely the same as an IQ increase. 

In the word(s?) of Big Mac, "Nnope":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFVwUBgqrAc

Awww, I though country Rarity was hella cute :wub:

Wow, I need to stop using so many Horizontal Rules

I don't think it would increase your intelligence much more than the average cartoon would :D

I mean, dude, like, brah. I don't think I've gotten any smarter just by watching it. I'm still making a lot of C's on my report card and what not :P 

I do have fun with it, though :D It's quite an awesome show, and it's fun to watch :D 

Make me smarter, though? Nahh.

This show will probably not change your intelligence for better or worse.

But it can change other areas.

I have actually changed after watching MLP. Specifically after seeing and getting to know Pinkie Pie.

She has a personality and philosophy I have look up too since the very first episode.

Life is about fun and parties. However, you gotta work for it.

I have started sitting less on my PC and going more out to my friends, being more social with my family, and started doing new activities.

The reason is this moral. After a day on the internet, I feel like it's a day wasted. And I don't actually look back, and think of all the fun I've had.

I'ts only momentarily fun.

You could also argue that gaining new attitudes like this might lead to other activities which stimulates intelligence more.

But I don't think that's a good argument for watching MLP  :lol:

Like many others have said, it doesn't really increase your intelligence. But it has had a positive effect on me making me MUCH more open minded and non-judgmental of others. 

Intelligence no. Wisdom yes.

If you're into analyzing and appreciating all the nuances and subtle touches in the animation and writing that also sharpens your reasoning skills. But as for raw intelligence, that's difficult to change once you're an adult.

Make you feel better and just a good feeling yes.

IQ no.

One of the Better Quality shows out there yes.

The third one is the argument you should've taken to your mother.

Not saying you should fire up a debate with your mother that's just asking for trouble instead just start a debate here. :wub:

I doubt it in fact there are probably very few tv shows in general that might, however, it cannot be worse for you than watching some of the mind-numbing excuses for kids shows that seem to be coming out today. Of course not all are bad but this is a conversation for another thread XD

Lol Caramba.

Well Equestria also teaches us about Alternate Universes and how if the balance of magic is transferred into a Universe where such a element doesn't exist then it could lead to a total collapse and or destruction of one or more Realms.

Oh Equestria Girl's you looked at the Infinite Universe Theorem  and said Hell to the Consequences!   

• Brohoof 1

I don't think MLP will raise your IQ. I think she was saying that MLP will raise your IQ as effectively as SpongeBob would. I don't think cartoons will make you less intelligent by any means since I've watched a ton of cartoons in my day and I've still got an IQ of nearly 130 lol Unless it was 170 before I'd ever seen a cartoon in my life :lol: 

Though, if you ask me, IQ is only a number. Your IQ doesn't get you as far as a college degree. 

Awww, I though country Rarity was hella cute

Wasn't she just? That accent is simply horrid, though. Tabitha did a great job on a terrible accent :D

• Brohoof 2

Watching the show doesn't improve or increase your intelligence, but cartoons are just things that have been around for so long that we love to enjoy watching them instead of worrying about our IQ from the show.

• Brohoof 3