S04:E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies  

309 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

What I just watched?! I didn't feel so strange even when I was stooned as s**t.

Okay what have we got: new Twilight spell. New magic creatures. New toys idea of course. And the most inmportant: another parallel universe (breezie world) is cannon.

I didn't said that it was bad episode, it's just was weird... too weird. 5/10 Meh. It was okay.

P.S. Dear fans of Derpy x Dr. Whooves shipping, I have a messege for you:

When I heard about this episode having the Breezies in it, I was actually really surprised.

I remember that G3 of My Little Pony had the Breezies too. I remember having the toys. (They were... So ugly)

I was also kinda scared. I didn't really see how they could fit in characters like that. What sort of situation would they be in? How would it tie in with the show and the things that have been going on?

But I was pleasantly surprised by this episode, it was actually not bad.

I actually found myself sort of excited to see the mane 6 transform into Breezies.

My biggest problem was that Twilight just happened to know that spell, but at least she explained why she knew.

I've been trying to go into each episode this new season with an open mind. I don't wan to judge anything too harshly.

So many Bronies are jumping to the conclusion that MLP is on it's way out this season, but I think that's sort of a foolish conclusion just to jump to.

Season 4 obviously has some sort of underlaying theme, and it shows in all the references to this new "Rainbow Power" business.

I feel like that's why this season has been different than season 1-3, and for whatever reason people are panicking about it.

The show is leading up to something, and I see it in episodes like Pinkie Pride, Rarity Take Manehatten, Rainbow Falls, and yesterday's episode.

But over all, episode 16 wasn't terrible, and it wasn't amazing. But I liked it. :) it was a wonderful moment for Fluttershy's character.

(edited)

It is the worst episode in season 4 for me. When I watched it I was very bored. I haven't seen so boring episode before. I don't like Breezies, they are ugly, weird, all of them look like female. Although they know that if when stay in FS home longer, they won't come back to their home, they preferred play and rest in Ponyville. It is weird because their world was amazing. Only See Breeze was smart. Mane6 as breezies look very awful.

In plus:

+ Breezies have a funny accent

+ when Rainbow Dash asked Twilight to change her into a dragon or Griffin.

+ Crying Fluttershy is so sweet.

Edited by Cuddly doggy

Since when has Twilight NOT had a convenient spell to fix the problem?

Even in Season 2, she had her "failsafe spell" which failed due to the fact that Discord is just too powerful for a mere unicorn to overcome.

Fair enough -- except Twilight's "Failsafe Spell" failed, so the subversion helps immensely in smoothing out the fact it came out of nowhere. It also didn't play a integral role in resolving the conflict.

I still find the introduction of the "Breezie transformation spell" inelegant. Certainly MLP is no stranger to either deus ex machina magic spells (e.g., "A Canterlot Wedding", "Friendship Is Magic") or applied phlebotinum (e.g., Zecora's potion from "Princess Twilight Sparkle"; Twilight's spell in "Bats!"). The essential issue here is that we're told all these things as opposed to learning them through observation.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
I've been trying to go into each episode this new season with an open mind. I don't wan to judge anything too harshly. So many Bronies are jumping to the conclusion that MLP is on it's way out this season, but I think that's sort of a foolish conclusion just to jump to.

Well, speaking just for myself, the thing I'm afraid of, which I've seen happen to countless other shows, is that between having exhausted all the really good ideas, having forced out the show's creator and original visionary, and having really obvious meddling from Hasbro's marketing department, MLP:FiM is starting to resemble the things that everyone disliked and/or hated about the previous-generation shows.  I've seen enough people reference G3 in regards to this episode that I'm convinced as well.

AFAIK, back in Season 2, the worst thing to happen was the Derpygate scandal.  There were a lot of people riled up about Hasbro's decision to yank Derpy from the series after the backlash to "The Last Roundup".  I came in to the fandom shortly after the furor about that died down, and had the perspective that if that was the worst thing about the series thus far, the show as a whole must be really strong.  And even with a couple of obvious cash grabs here and there, the writing in the first two seasons was just phenomenal - most of the episodes were well-paced, I really CARED about the characters (ALL of them), and I felt I could relate to something in almost every episode.

Season 3 had moments of that as well, but it felt more rushed, and while I personally liked Twilight becoming an alicorn, I disliked how they did it and I totally acknowledge that it was a cash grab.  And unfortunately, Season 4 has done very little to redeem that - they've almost entirely glossed over Twilight's new role (she's a bit more mature, she's more powerful, the kids like her more, and for the most part she's just a background pony now), and with only a few notable exceptions, the rest of the characters feel much more shallow to me than in any previous season.

In this episode in particular (these are listed from worst to best, IMO):

- Pinkie Pie's ONLY role was to scream about how excited she was at this and that.  (Which she's done in virtually every episode this season where she wasn't the main focus.)

- Spike was only there to "accidentally" cause the episode's central conflict, furthering his role as "bumbling idiot/comic relief".

- Rarity was only there to wear an obnoxiously bright outfit.

- Applejack was just along for the ride.  She had nothing whatsoever to contribute.

- Twilight was only there to save the day with a convenient transformation spell.

- Rainbow Dash was the only character aside from Fluttershy to be of any use in a context that made sense, and even then she seemed awfully wishy-washy.

Fluttershy, the main focus character, felt awfully shallow, and like she'd lost a few brain cells (perhaps due to her stints as Flutterbat and Flutterhulk?).  She's an animal keeper - she KNOWS how to be firm with them.  She considers woodland creatures to be just as intelligent as her friends, and she's made it clear they come first.  So when she's dealing with another apparently-intelligent race of creatures (the Breezies), how is it that she completely forgets what it means to actually TAKE CARE of them?  Taking care of anyone or anything doesn't mean just bowing to their every whim.  It means making sure they have what they need, and that they get back on their way as soon as possible.  She knows this - she's demonstrated it in the past.

To me, the fact that she was letting the Breezies walk all over her in her efforts to be "kind" really diluted her element.  I totally get how each of the "key" episodes so far has taken the form of presenting the character with a direct challenge to her element, and then making her resolve it in her own way.  But in this case, I think they missed the mark - the moral felt shoehorned in, whereas it felt like it made more sense with the other keys.

(Edit: Added a Spike mention.)

Edited by Pixel Stick
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, speaking just for myself, the thing I'm afraid of, which I've seen happen to countless other shows, is that between having exhausted all the really good ideas, having forced out the show's creator and original visionary, and having really obvious meddling from Hasbro's marketing department, MLP:FiM is starting to resemble the things that everyone disliked and/or hated about the previous-generation shows.  I've seen enough people reference G3 in regards to this episode that I'm convinced as well....

Fluttershy, the main focus character, felt awfully shallow, and like she'd lost a few brain cells (perhaps due to her stints as Flutterbat and Flutterhulk?).  She's an animal keeper - she KNOWS how to be firm with them.  She considers woodland creatures to be just as intelligent as her friends, and she's made it clear they come first.  So when she's dealing with another apparently-intelligent race of creatures (the Breezies), how is it that she completely forgets what it means to actually TAKE CARE of them?  Taking care of anyone or anything doesn't mean just bowing to their every whim.  It means making sure they have what they need, and that they get back on their way as soon as possible.  She knows this - she's demonstrated it in the past.

I speculate that the episode was purposely written with a more G3 feel just to establish a Breezie link to the past.  That's not to say that it wasn't a bad choice, but I'm not confident that this is really part of a trend.

As for Fluttershy, I figured she was 1) blinded by the Breezies's cuteness (and we've seen that be a flaw for her in "Swarm of the Century") and 2) may have believed given the time frame (which was ambiguous enough to be a serious critique of mine for the episode) that the Breezies could get away with resting for more than a few minutes (while of course, still cognizant of the time frame).  After, all, it was Seabreeze that was really impatient to get home and caused Fluttershy's conflicting feelings.  (Thus hypothetically, if Seabreeze wasn't so impatient, she may have realized, after a few more demands, that the Breezies had gone too far on her own.)

However, you make a fair point.  Fluttershy should have figured that the Breezies were faking their colds.

Edited by JustFairness

(edited)

Only thing I didn't really like about the episode was how Spike was written. I kind of look past the other "flaws" in the episode, probably because I really like the Breezies

Edited by Rivendare

(edited)

I've never been fan and don't like old mlp, that's why I like  the new MLP cause it's cool characters and better than the girly G3. With that said, I've no idea what a 'breezie' was but obviously as mentioned above, something too girly for my taste. As Fluttershy is my most fave from the 6, I definitely enjoyed her cuteness along the entire episode! Fluttershy was so cute everywhere, that this is what made me love the episode. I still know better episodes that I like more with her (from Season 2 and 3) than this one, I am saying she was very nice. As for the breezies, nothing against the idea of having them or how they look, I imagined them like some FAIRIES, and I think they were okay as a design. Not sure what more could've been added to the episode as it matches a typical Fluttershy episode and that's good. I did not like the mane 6 turning into breezies though, that's just not my taste, but it was a nice episode overall.

Edited by ImtR

(edited)

And now, a hilarious role reversal :lol:

It's a swarm of tiny Swedish Chefs! :o

"Why couldn't Rarity block my view?"

C'mon guys! This is nothing compared to the Twig of '94

Translation: Why return to our home and families when we can mooch off this chick?

NO, NOT THE--oh you know.

I wonder if Andrea's having repressed Gen 3 flashbacks

...Flutter Valley? O_O

Don't feel bad, Dash. The fans will draw you like that (and so much more!) ;)

Fun & entertaining, but noting special aside from Fluttershy getting her rainbow item. Still, a fun semi-filler is always better than a dull one! :P

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 1

Meh, I wasn't really entranced by this episode in the least. I didn't hate it, but I know I didn't like it.

Wasn't G3 or G2 filled with these mutant non-horse-but-actually-horse creatures? I feel like this episode took a hint from previous incarnations of MLP for a bit.

That being said it had nothing to do with the writing: it wasn't at fault here. I just......felt there was NOTHING to be excited about. There was no conflict anywhere at all...and that's odd for me to feel that way since I usually find something in each episode to like (in every single one right up until now, including Equestria Girls)...but this? Nah. Wasn't feeling it.

(edited)

That being said it had nothing to do with the writing: it wasn't at fault here. I just......felt there was NOTHING to be excited about. There was no conflict anywhere at all...and that's odd for me to feel that way since I usually find something in each episode to like (in every single one right up until now, including Equestria Girls)...but this? Nah. Wasn't feeling it.

When a drifting leaf is the biggest actual conflict, you need a really strong story. This wasn't it.

Edited by Pixel Stick

(edited)

This episode was okay. Probably my least favorite episode of the season. It was a Fluttershy episode that was just a tad bit too much on the 'girly' side for me, must be the fairies. I found the voices of the breezies annoying. Considering that it was just 2 episodes ago that it was another Fluttershy episode I was hoping for an episode about a different character.

Was Fluttershy's attitude towards the bees a result of Iron Will? Or is it just me? My reaction to that part was "OOOOHHHHHH SHEEEEET JUST GOT REAL!"

46718372.jpg

Edited by #Rainbow_Danger_Dash
  • Brohoof 1