Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

Confirmed for C&D, hasbro has killed button mash, arguably one of the best fan made animations, who is next? Snowdrop? Digibroni? Episode reviews in general? After doublerainboom being C&D'd, along with ask molesta, a large number of overseas plushie manufacturers, it seems hasbro may finally be cracking down on those who use its trade mark.

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCa5Gle6aZGN8sLFLZfmbuEg

The link to Jan's youtube page shows that all pony videos are gone.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0IUXMulZbO1 Update from Shadyvox, the voice of button himself, it is a confirmed C&D, and they will not be continuing any pone related works in the future.

post-23625-0-72772800-1395476888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miaq_The_Liar
  • Brohoof 3

Assuming it is C&D, that's truly unfortunate indeed. If nothing else though, it's obvious what mediums Hasbro goes after. Things so official & viral that it could be quite easily mistaken for official content, *Fighting is Magic, top-of-the-line animations like Jan; Double Rainboom would have been most likely if they hadn't gotten educational permission first*, and viral concepts and things that they don't need their target audience seeing *Molestia blog, etc*.

While sad indeed, I really don't wanna see people going on about Apocalyptic Hasbro eliminating all fandom content, like people love to do every single time they C&D something. Because as unfortunate and irritating as it is, that's not true by leaps and bounds. Go talk to Warner Brothers and just about every music company on the face of the planet if you want to talk about removing fan content just because it's there and you've been made aware of it :3 When you look at the sheer scope of not just fandom content, but high-quality fandom content that this fandom has made, and then you look at the handful of things Hasbro's gone after, it should not be hard to see that they're pretty damn fair and lenient for the most part.

Hasbro has zero to gain from crusading around and trying to quell fandom content. Hell, they've given out licenses to things like welovefine and other merchandise organizations, specifically for our demographic's interest. Few, few companies would do shit like that. This fandom has given them fucktons of money more than anything they'd have ever initially gotten from just their target audience. It's probably because of our impact that's gotten the show going on to five seasons and beyond. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by trying to stop their fanbase from giving them free advertising, throwing money at them for merchandise and giving their show a worldwide publicity that they pretty much don't have to pay for.

They could be worlds, worlds less fair and be killing off a lot more things than they do. And as a company that needs to protect its' trademark like all companies, they're required to do at least some C&D type action. The fact that of the endless list of fandom shit this fandom has produced, they've stopped nothing but a handful of only the highest-known and highest-quality things, is pretty lucky.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 40

Assuming it is C&D, that's truly unfortunate indeed. If nothing else though, it's obvious what mediums Hasbro goes after. Things so official & viral that it could be quite easily mistaken for official content, *Fighting is Magic, top-of-the-line animations like Jan; Double Rainboom would have been most likely if they hadn't gotten educational permission first*, and viral concepts and things that they don't need their target audience seeing *Molestia blog, etc*.

While sad indeed, I really don't wanna see people going on about Apocalyptic Hasbro eliminating all fandom content, like people love to do every single time they C&D something. Because as unfortunate and irritating as it is, that's not true by leaps and bounds. Go talk to Disney and Warner Brothers and just about every music company on the face of the planet if you want to talk about removing fan content just because it's there and you've been made aware of it :3

However, buttons adventures were the most kid friendly fanmade thing out there. And it was one of the highest quality animations to boot. This is the 4th in a series of C&D's sent out by hasbro this week alone to various pony artists. While they may not be reaching warner brothers levels, it seems that they are picking off the top tier stuff.
  • Brohoof 13

However, buttons adventures were the most kid friendly fanmade thing out there. And it was one of the highest quality animations to boot.

Like I said, 'Things so official & viral that it could be quite easily mistaken for official content'. It doesn't matter if it was kid friendly or not.

I don't pretend to understand how laws, companies and all of that nonsense works, but I would imagine things are done in bunches, rather than spasmodically. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm letting someone else have my spot on the 'Hasbro is after everypony' escape boat for now, still.

• Brohoof 5

Like I said, 'Things so official & viral that it could be quite easily mistaken for official content'. It doesn't matter if it was kid friendly or not.

I don't pretend to understand how laws, companies and all of that nonsense works, but I would imagine things are done in bunches, rather than spasmodically. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm letting someone else have my spot on the 'Hasbro is after everypony' escape boat for now, still.

Well, the reason a lot of people are "jumping ship" so to speak now, is because this is happening suddenly, and in a great number. So far Jan is number 4 on a list of C&D issued by hasbro this week alone. As for now I'd wait and see if it ramps up any, if they continue on this path, then we may be in view of a crusade against the fandom.
  • Brohoof 3

Wait, what exactly does this all mean?

Call me stupid, but I don't understand what's going on with JanAnimations.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely ridiculous. I hate these copyright laws. In fact I'm not even sure of the legality of these takedowns. Doesn't it fall under the fair use category?

Hasbro forced JanAnimations to take down every single one of their pony related videos due to copyright infringement

• Brohoof 2

Hasbro forced one of the best, if not the best fan animator to remove all his MLP related videos.
  • Brohoof 7

I don't know....  Aside from all the "trademark laws", and "they have to protect their copyrights" and "they hadn't another choice " and blah, blah, blah...

I just want to know, in these more of 3 years of pony fan-made videos, like JanAnimations, how have they affected, harmed, damaged the MLP franchise and its popularity?

• Brohoof 8

While I don't want to get into full details on what happened after seeing the EQD article due to having blown a emotional fuse and almost flying off the handle as they would say, but this is an issue that keeps creeping up time and time again. First we have seen it with Fighting is Magic last year and now this mess and as always, the fans are up in arms.

Now while I don't want to get involved on how this came to be nor I take any sides on this issue,in my opinion the whole copyright and trademark system, not only in Australia, but also worldwide in general is simply put, broken, tired, outdated and in need of a major overhaul. There has to be a fair solution which benefits both parties to prevent things like this from happening again.

If it means having to set up some guidelines on how fan works are made (e.g. for noncommercial use, not for profit etc) so fans don't end up falling in the same trap, then it might be a fair compromise in the long run.  

As a member of the Australian branch of the Pirate Party, this is one of the issues that has currently on the agenda in regards to copyright and trademark reform in Australia at present and also fair use and fair dealing of content.

I won't go on any further due to risking another fuse blow, but I'll leave this tweet that I made earlier to sum up my feelings:

"But still, this highlights the need for massive trademark and copyright reform, especially for fandoms like the brony community."

• Brohoof 6

Hasbro forced one of the best, if not the best fan animator to remove all his MLP related videos.

Wow Hasbro. Wow.

I mean, I didn't like JanAnimation's work, but nonetheless it was very well put together.

I agree with what Hasbro has done. If someone was ripping off my designs I'd issue a cease and decease order!

The issue though, is that this will drive away other fan animators, and artists, and this being a fandom focused around a cartoon, animation and art is the heart of it. You drive off the creativity of the fandom, and if the show experiences another disaster like season 3 was for the majority of the fandom, and you could very well see the death of this fandom.

• Brohoof 4

Wow Hasbro. Wow.

I mean, I didn't like JanAnimation's work, but nonetheless it was very well put together.

Why shouldn't Hasbro protect their products? If things like Ask Molestia give the franchise a bad name Hasbro has every right to use the law to put an end to it.

The issue though, is that this will drive away other fan animators, and artists, and this being a fandom focused around a cartoon, animation and art is the heart of it. You drive off the creativity of the fandom, and if the show experiences another disaster like season 3 was for the majority of the fandom, and you could very well see the death of this fandom.

In a word,tough. No matter what most people on here think, FIM is a show for little girls. If fans want to do animation, apply for a job in Hasbro. Or do something completely original. There are toons involving ponies that aren't MLP ie. Filly Fantasia.

Why shouldn't Hasbro protect their products? If things like Ask Molestia give the franchise a bad name Hasbro has every right to use the law to put an end to it.

This is a debate I like to stay away from because my reasoning may not make sense to others.

However, as long as the fan wasn't using their videos for personal profit without asking Hasbro, then their stuff shouldn't be taken down. The fan didn't do anything wrong. They are just expressing themselves in the fandom.

Some fans may even feel driven away because they know they can't make videos on things with MLP clips, characters, etc. they can't spread their creativity for very long until Hasbro sneaks up on them.

• Brohoof 2

In a word,tough. No matter what most people on here think, FIM is a show for little girls. If fans want to do animation, apply for a job in Hasbro. Or do something completely original. There are toons involving ponies that aren't MLP ie. Filly Fantasia.

Filly Fantasia is currently in development hiatus for being to similar to FiM. And I must remind you, you are on a site for the fandom surrounding the FiM cartoon, and I doubt you could animate something half as decent as Button's Adventures. While you may just be playing devils advocate, you really should realize were you are.
  • Brohoof 1

Filly Fantasia is currently in development hiatus for being to similar to FiM. And I must remind you, you are on a site for the fandom surrounding the FiM cartoon, and I doubt you could animate something half as decent as Button's Adventures. While you may just be playing devils advocate, you really should realize were you are.

One of my friends from uni works for an animation studio, and he is proud of the few animations he's worked on. Why should he have to see his work ripped off? I asked him about this and he does get upset when he sees r34 and stuff like that.

• Brohoof 1

I love MLP but I freaking hate the company behind them. Just another greedy corporation that hates creativity. You would think that they would enjoy the publicity of MLP as it would gain more views and product advertisement but no they don't like freedom of speech.

Its not like Jans animations was making thousands of dollars from MLP based animations.  Even if Jans animations was making money so what, its not like they are taking any large chunk of Hasbro's millions of dollars in revenue. I thought it was a joke when the voice of button said that they own Button and his Mom but dont own the design. I mean thats so vague that any company can send out a cease and decist to any parody maker on Youtube.

Seriously Hasbro is just like a bunch of people that love to abuse copyright laws and take down awesome fan made work are jerks. I mean the fans usually make MLP much more enjoyable than the show is. The whole reason why I am a brony is because of what the fandom puts out as I find it more appealing the then show.

If this keeps up more and more awesome You Tubers and artists are going to have their work taken down. I fear Tiarawhy may be next, so everyone download the videos and share them as much as you can so they are not lost forever due to Hasbro being greedy.

• Brohoof 4

One of my friends from uni works for an animation studio, and he is proud of the few animations he's worked on. Why should he have to see his work ripped off? I asked him about this and he does get upset when he sees r34 and stuff like that.

Is that i can't understand....i can't!!

Hasbro erases those videos,who doesn't harm nobody...

But the R34???

It doesn't"harm nobody" -_-

My my, quite the red haring there. And there is a large difference between "ripping off" and to put in it a more legal vernacular, theft of an IP, and a inspired animation, that uses original characters, with minor appearances in the inspired work. And Jan never produced r34, but banning it on the grounds that it makes someone uncomfortable is the same logic stalin used as he murderd over 3 million people. It made him upset, so he banned it.

• Brohoof 4

*raises hand*

I though the Button cartoons were annoying as hell.

But the animation was FAR above the point of simply calling it "top-notch".

Sad to see it go, circumstances being.

• Brohoof 1

I love MLP but I freaking hate the company behind them. Just another greedy corporation that hates creativity. You would think that they would enjoy the publicity of MLP as it would gain more views and product advertisement but no they don't like freedom of speech.

Its not like Jans animations was making thousands of dollars from MLP based animations.  Even if Jans animations was making money so what, its not like they are taking any large chunk of Hasbro's millions of dollars in revenue. I thought it was a joke when the voice of button said that they own Button and his Mom but dont own the design. I mean thats so vague that any company can send out a cease and decist to any parody maker on Youtube.

Seriously Hasbro is just like a bunch of people that love to abuse copyright laws and take down awesome fan made work are jerks. I mean the fans usually make MLP much more enjoyable than the show is. The whole reason why I am a brony is because of what the fandom puts out as I find it more appealing the then show.

If this keeps up more and more awesome You Tubers and artists are going to have their work taken down. I fear Tiarawhy may be next, so everyone download the videos and share them as much as you can so they are not lost forever due to Hasbro being greedy.

No, it's a company protecting it's intellectual properties. I say again, why should Hasbro stand back and see it's designs ripped off?

• Brohoof 1