Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

And why would they have lost their rights?

It's just the weird way copyright law works.

Why hasbro why???!!! what are you doing with the fandom T . T

It's just business, nothing personal. ^^

Something is obviously going on here- Something fishy, Oh, Is by chance MLPforums going to be taken down too because of the design of the whole website or perhaps every single video showing any of the characters in the show is going to be taken down too if this is the case. I mean come on, First fighting is magic, now jans? They are only targeting the large audience objects now. I have a strange feeling that some kind of hate group is controlling this. This needs to stop. Now

I've had the same thoughts myself I made a post earlier about this one person on the EQD comments by the name "HextarVigar" that had links to some vocaroo messages saying how he was the one that did and and how were all little kids that feel entitled. Here is one of them http://vocaroo.com/i/s1gI2w0pdT2P most would say this guy is a troll that is just trying to take credit for what is happening but you can never be to sure.

Edit sorry wrong link

Edited by Littlepip357
  • Brohoof 1

Can't say I didn't see this comming, even since I found out that Button was shown in an episode. If his popularity stayed small, I doubt Hasbro would've bothered, but since Button grew kinda big, this was bound to happen. Hasbro has a tight lid on what they own, even if its shown for half a second.

Of course, any fan creation that has any character shown in the show at any point, is probably in trouble. Flufflepuff might get hit, because of Cryssi.

Bronies have no concept of business. XP

So my steam profile is based off of Button Mash, are they going to take my steam away from me if I get popular?

Edited by TheChosenPony

So say my steam profile is based off of Button Mash, are they going to take my steam away from me if I get popular?

It's more than likely they won't.

They are 2 completely different things.

Bronies have no concept of business.

You may be right! ^^

But you don't know every Brony, do you? ^^

Edited by Adorkable

So say my steam profile is based off of Button Mash, are they going to take my steam away from me if I get popular?

Thanks for Valve, no they can't. Steam profiles are protected by Valve.

• Brohoof 1

I just can not believe I did something so Hasbro disappoints me

That doesn't make much sense... ^^"

Want to re-word that? ^^

Just the sheer fact that hasbro could take away mlpforums or derpibooru because it isn't "official"  and therefore infringes on their rights scares me.

I was going to look into animation, and hell, if I animate something and voice it just like the show, Yet I clearly claim its owned by hasbro and that its a PARODY, not the real thing, hasbro could just bust down my door and take it away from me just like that?

Hasbro, Y u do dis

Edited by TheChosenPony
  • Brohoof 2

Just the sheer fact that hasbro could take away mlpforums or derpibooru because it isn't "official"  and therefore infringes on their rights scares me.

I don't really think there's a way they could take away the forum. ^^"

Unless I'm overlooking something, of course. ^^"

Does he really?!

WOAH! I didn't know that.

Looking into it immediately.

I could have sworn Jan owned Button though, that's crazy he didn't.

I've said it several times as well, but when new people join the topic, they don't get to read the previous posts, usually they just read the OP to get an idea then go reply.

This IS NOT from any Jan production work. I just took an actual screen capture from the "Hearts and Hooves Day" episode. Button appears as a nameless game playing pony when Sweetie Belle sings "But this one's too young".

This_ones_too_young.jpg

• Brohoof 1

This IS NOT from any Jan production work. I just took an actual screen capture from the "Hearts and Hooves Day" episode. Button appears as a nameless game playing pony when Sweetie Belle sings "But this one's too young".

This_ones_too_young.jpg

I actually looked into that! ^^

I went and watched the song, and I was shocked.

I seriously never knew that.

And they say you can't learn new things on the internet.

...actually no one says that.

But I do appreciate you taking your time to show me that, Cindy! ^^ (

Edited by Adorkable
  • Brohoof 2

It's more than likely they won't.

They are 2 completely different things.

You may be right! ^^

But you don't know every Brony, do you? ^^

I was making a reference to Daleks from Doctor Who.

tumblr_me4krg6V5x1r61fns.png

And why would they have lost their rights? Jans wasn't infringing on them nor was contesting to take them away- he even said that MLP belonged to hasbro before he put the video up.

Hasbro owns all the original rights to MLP and its franchise.

I mean, Why do they have to take the good stuff? Cupcakes uses the exact same animation style and voices are alike to the show, yet that's not taken down either? Its fishy if you ask me

Given I work in the field in question, I think I can provide some perspective on this issue?

Hasbro is simply required by law to defend its copyright. Which means anything in the same industrial field - animation. Just because they haven't taken down all other fan animated pieces doesn't mean they wouldn't if they were aware of said animated pieces. Hasbro has to prove to copyright firms that it is actively protecting its intellectual property, or else lose its protection for said intellectual property. Fan art, music, etc, likely won't get the brunt of any of this because it's not really competing in the same market, nor can it be viewed as a direct threat to their intellectual property.

That being said, I don't quite understand why this WASN'T protected under fair use. Fan projects are allowed in the world, so long as they are not being used to further financial gains for any party involved (actors, musicians, artists, etc.) without expressed permission from the copyright holder. Which I don't think the Button series was doing, but there may be circumstances that you're not aware of as a third party to this controversy. I'm more surprised they don't go after commissioners of canon content and off brand merchandising, to be honest, as that's actually a direct violation of their copyright by comparison to a not for profit piece. It may be something as simple as claiming fair use, but it may be as complicated as simply needing to contact Hasbro to request fair use.

It is kind of odd, but not all that unusual or wrong. Artists have to protect themselves from the same problems corporations have to. It's not that they're not flattered, but if given a choice between losing your staple or allowing unfettered fan content, what would you do? Their company rests almost entirely on the success of their franchises. If they lose their IP, they're done for.

• Brohoof 2

Bd_WJ1_Kq_CUAEr_M57.jpg

It is kind of odd, but not all that unusual or wrong.

I probably should have quoted more. ^^"

I'm sure that Hasbro was aware of how many Bronies this may "tick off", but I don't think they would have done it if they didn't have to.

Remember, Hasbro loves the Bronies, they've done all sorts of stuff for us.

They brought DERPY back.

They wouldn't have if they didn't have to, I'm sure of it.

I think they want what is right for their fans. ^^

img-2438552-2-Bd_WJ1_Kq_CUAEr_M57.jpg

I'm sure that Hasbro was aware of how many Bronies this may "tick off", but I don't think they would have done it if they didn't have to.

They brought DERPY back.

Derpy was a marketing choice, and that was show related. Button is pretty much dead as far as Jan is concerned, and that won't change. Button may be used in show, if Hasbro can make money off it.

They brought DERPY back.

Absolutely! Hasbro wants whatever keeps their fan base happy, but sometimes that goal comes into conflict with their legal responsibilities. It's unfortunate, but I am more than sure that there was no malicious intent behind the cease and desist. Button featured official characters in a manner that suggested it was a spin off show. There is a fine line between a web based series and fan art, and it may just have began crossing it to a level Hasbro wasn't comfortable with. Who knows?

I do hope that folks won't take too much offense to has brows actions, though. They're just as arm tied in this as Jan Animations is. This really is the perfect opportunity to discuss copyright reform in a broad scope, with real lobbying action. I worry too many people are going to get angry at the company as opposed to the problems with copyright law that would lead to a non profit piece being shut down.

I thought it might be helpful to specify that the implications of this action were not as broad as some people seemed to fear. Hahah.

• Brohoof 2

I checked the C&D letter of Hasbro again, and something caught my eyes. Scootaloo was spelled as 'Scootalo', so I guess it maybe just an anti-brony troll breaching the love and tolerate law of bronies? But who knows?

Didn't I just tell you one of the reasons why I defend hasbro. If they were such a nasty company they wouldn't have held a party for kids in care or given them £100 each in presents a year!

I am sorry to say this but you are beginning to sound just like a fanboy. Yes Hasbro may have done some good but that does not mean you defend them when they do bad. Yes Hasbro has rights to C&D fan works to protect their IP but that still does not mean that the current trademark laws are not broken. The law is designed in a way that allows companies like Hasbro to claim ''copy right infringement'' over something just because it was inspired by their work and win. The law only caters to companies like Hasbro, and while you might not mind being screwed over by both Hasbro and the government, myself and many others do not.

After reviewing some of the posts in this thread, I have come up with something else:

JanAnimations makes show quality stuff, almost as good as the animators on the official FIM crew. Hasbro C&Ded JanAnimations because he came too close to show quality work. They just wanted to keep their reputation high. It was more a cowardly move if you asked me. Because Hasbro has been around for so long, they need to keep their reputation up. 

Anyone spot some "For Whom The Sweetie Belle Tolls" here?

I am sorry to say this but you are beginning to sound just like a fanboy. Yes Hasbro may have done some good but that does not mean you defend them when they do bad. Yes Hasbro has rights to C&D fan works to protect their IP but that still does not mean that the current trademark laws are not broken. The law is designed in a way that allows companies like Hasbro to claim ''copy right infringement'' over something just because it was inspired by their work and win. The law only caters to companies like Hasbro, and while you might not mind being screwed over by both Hasbro and the government, myself and many others do not.

Maybe I am a fan of Hasbro, but to be honest so what? In this thread there's so much Hasbro hate going on, and all they are doing is protecting their image. And I said it before, and I'll say it again, if they were so uncaring, why would they throw parties for kids in care, or give them £100's of pounds worth of Christmas presents?