Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does watching MLP:FIM make you stupid?

Rarity Paige Belle

I just found this article on the Daily Mail site that says watching cartoons with talking animals makes you less intelligent. What do you think:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2589782/Is-Mickey-Mouse-making-child-STUPID-Animal-characters-wear-clothes-talk-damage-learning-claims-study.html

Edited by Pinkie Perry
  • Brohoof 1

No that's just overgeneralizing. Yes there are some animal cartoons that have so much stupidity, they could make me lose brain cells, but Mlp isn't one of them. If anything, it could make you a better person due to the show's moral values. 

• Brohoof 6

These studies are always extremely biased and based off a small sample size. I saw a similar one that claimed that Spongebob made kids stupid after watching it. It's nonsense in my view

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I've ever seen a study about something that doesn't contradict another study about the same thing. So I don't really pay attention to them.

Edited by Frostgage

Gonna be honest with you, the article is extremely bias.  So, don't always follow those type of studies, b/c most of the time, they are just "bullshit".   Now, I for one feel that watching MLP:FIM does not make you stupid.  If people watch it, then its there choice.  Its not, once they finish watching it, "they'll come out, all jumpy and all excited". 

I just found this article on the Daily Mail site that says watching cartoons with talking animals makes you less intelligent. What do you think:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2589782/Is-Mickey-Mouse-making-child-STUPID-Animal-characters-wear-clothes-talk-damage-learning-claims-study.html

So you should balance that by listening to Miley Cyrus, apparently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2416686/Could-listening-Miley-Cyrus-make-INTELLIGENT-Scientist-claims-certain-pop-songs-make-smarter.html

I somehow get the feeling that *perhaps* the Daily Mail is not the best source for discovering scientific insights into cognitive development. ;)

• Brohoof 1

They surveyed stupid people.

But really.. that's like saying all video games make you stupid. There are definitely video games out there/"talking animal" shows that can be educational, even if in their own way.  :D

Okay just reading a little bit of this article is making me stupid. Really they think kids will think animals look like that in real life. Well if they do you could just tell them or take them to a zoo to show them they aren't like that. Don't blame the show.

That's like saying "kids who eat cereal are fat." it's just random stuff people make up to get people to read their stuff since they have nothing better to write about.

No it bloody well doesn't. If more than anything, it's taught me a lot more about equines and their anatomy than I probably would in school. Don't know where they got that one from. Also, don't listen to the Daily Mail because it's all bullshit that goes on there. Right wing ass hats.

Black people giving you cancer? Unbelievable.

Edited by TarkatanPony

>Daily Mail

If there's one thing everyone worldwide should learn, the Daily Mail is the Breitbart, Fox News, or Blaze version of the U.K. tabloid (minus The Sun). This "study" smells like complete quackery, and the fact that The Daily Mail tackles bullshit "studies" like this way too often should force you to question its validity.

First of all, this article only seems to be talking about very young children, so it doesn't really apply to teens and adults who watch cartoons at all (ie. us). Second, the only mark of 'stupidity' they talk about is knowledge about animals, in which they seem to be saying "children who read about animals will know more about animals than children who read about anthropomorphic animals characters", which, like, of course they will???? Obviously??? Studying something tends to make you more knowledgable than not studying it????

The only grain of truth I could maybe see in this is that cartoon animal characters could give very young children the wrong idea of what animals are really like. For example, a child could see a talking bear on TV and then want to snuggle a real bear they see in the woods. Thankfully, there are these nifty things called parents who can teach children that not everything they see on TV is a factual depiction of the real world. Fancy that.

That is probably, the stupidest thing I've ever heard about watching cartoons. Nothing you watch makes you stupid, only YOU can make YOU stupid, if you choose not to learn from anything you experience.