Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's going to school like in the USA?

Rarity Paige Belle

Both my parents are from Massachusetts, but they went to private school, and also my cousins did. And my girlfriend was home schooled, so what is a public school like in the states? They have a bad reputation here I'm the UK, and as a teacher myself, I've gotta say, I wouldn't like to teach in one!

• 1/3 of the students do drugs and surprisingly have the capability to walk and talk.
  • 2/3 don't do anything but suck up to the opposite gender.
  • The rest actually try to do good in school, me included (see what I did there?)

And just to think that my high school is supposed to be one of the best in the area.  I forget how elementary school was.

• Brohoof 1

My totally unscientific opinion based entirely on anecdotal evidence is this: The whole thing about American public schools being worse than European schools is just a bunch of politicized BS.

Politicians in Europe like to talk about how much better their schools are to make themselves look good, while politicians in the US like to rag on our system as a way to get votes.

There are some just awful schools where it's pretty much all crime and the teachers are just happy if their kids learn anything. That's generally going to be in neighborhoods with some serious problems though.

Most public schools are basically going to come down to what the student puts into it. If you're just there to screw around then you'll take all the easy versions of the classes and coast by on a so so GPA. If you're really smart and dedicated then you'll take higher level classes like AP and honors classes and get a top notch education.

The thing is that both groups of kids are going to all be going to the same school. So it largely depends on what classes you're teaching and where.

There are some issues like the fact that a teacher's pay is usually okay, not great, and there is an overemphasis on standardized tests, but I don't know how that compares to the UK.

• Brohoof 1

Basically high school teaches you how to pass the final exams.

Electives are great though, if you want to have fun or pursue a liberal degree that will land you a job waiting tables.

• Brohoof 1

I went to military schools until the fifth grade. I have had 2 bomb threats in the military schools, it was confusing and unnerving but nothing happened.

fifth grade I went to normal public school that was rural, there wasn't anything bad about it... There were those students who acted up and there were a few bomb threats as well as a drug thing that happened when police brought dogs in but that happened once. There were no stabbings, shootings, or anything like that. It really depends on the schools honestly. We never even had metal detectors or anything like that when I went to school and these days the doors are locked to outsiders and you have to have someone from the office to let you in the primary school. Thats pretty much it. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My public school experience consisted of getting thrown down a flight of stairs by a racist classmate. It also consisted of disgusting food, very little learning and awful teachers. I was there for four days and was immedietly changed to a private school.

Don't go to public school if you want to retain any faith in humanity.

Edited by Rivendare

Soul rending. I hated school every single step of the way. Boring, monotonous, unendingly dull. I was constantly surrounded by people whose goal in life seemed to make everyone that wasn't "normal" boring. I was terrified of being myself for fear of being bullied by my peers and scolded by teachers. I started flunking all my classes, not because I was stupid but because of a lack of motivation. The public school system is one size fits all, and I didn't fit.

I hate the way classes and lessons are designed. Most of it seems to exist for the sole purpose of making you hate learning by associating it with endless boredom. It's not designed to make you think, it's designed to make you follow orders.

I hope others school experiences weren't as bad as mine. I know some people had really good teachers and schoolmates and really did enjoy their school experience. I envy them, you couldn't pay me enough to go back.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Public High School is a waste of mine, and everybody else's time. At least it seems like that.

I just feel as though 12 years of my life have been wasted in public school. I learn SO MUCH more from the internet than I do from school. 

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 1