Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How were Rarity and Pinkie Pie being assertive in putting your hoof down?

Azureth

In PYHD Rarity and Pinkie Pie show Fluttershy how to be more assertive in ways I would hardly call being assertive. For example, Rarity wasn't being assertive when she was "flirting" with that one Pony, just being manipulative. Same with Pinkie when she tricked that merchant pony.

• Brohoof 4

That was one of the reasons why that episode was so mediocre by MLP FIM's standards in my opinion. Their examples of being assertive were actually use of being manipulative and deceitful to get what they wanted.

That was one of the reasons why that episode was so mediocre by MLP FIM's standards in my opinion. Their examples of being assertive were actually use of being manipulative and deceitful to get what they wanted.

"Manipulative and deceitful" are much too strong of words to describe their actions, dude. 

It was simple negotiation tactics that involved some strategies along with it; implying "manipulation and deceit" makes it sound like they were out to cause ponies harm and kind of makes them sound like sociopaths, which, point in case, isn't true in the slightest. You know that as well as I do :D

That being said, they weren't really being assertive as much as they were being charming and tricky. The episode itself could've been better, but no, they weren't being assertive at all, which might've been why Fluttershy sought out Iron Will's help in the first place :D

• Brohoof 3

I think it takes a certain amount of courage and faith in yourself to be capable of flirting and trolling with any competency to get what you want, and those traits are sort of the backbone of an assertive persona. It was just a brand of assertiveness tailored to the mare in question. What made them assertive was that they had the will to make their desires come true using another person, I think that's the core behind the concept of assertiveness, whatever the method used whether it be straight talk, charm, wheedling, whatever.

• Brohoof 4

"Manipulative and deceitful" are much too strong of words to describe their actions, dude. 

It was simple negotiation tactics that involved some strategies along with it; implying "manipulation and deceit" makes it sound like they were out to cause ponies harm and kind of makes them sound like sociopaths, which, point in case, isn't true in the slightest. You know that as well as I do :D

That being said, they weren't really being assertive as much as they were being charming and tricky. The episode itself could've been better, but no, they weren't being assertive at all, which might've been why Fluttershy sought out Iron Will's help in the first place :D

Perhaps my words could've been minced, but I did not saw their actions as being assertive.

• Brohoof 2

Perhaps my words could've been minced, but I did not saw their actions as being assertive.

That's something we both agree on, then :D

• Brohoof 2

"manipulation and deceit" makes it sound like they were out to cause ponies harm 

Maybe but they did trick them in fairness though that one tomato merchant deserved it so he gets no sympathy from me but Rarity using her charms to lead on that stallion wasn't the most ethical thing it wasn't the worst either. It dosen't make Rarity look like a monster but she dosen't come out of it smelling completely like a rose either, I wouldn't appreciate getting played like that. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe but they did trick them in fairness though that one tomato merchant deserved it so he gets no sympathy from me but Rarity using her charms to lead on that stallion wasn't the most ethical thing it wasn't the worst either. It dosen't make Rarity look like a monster but she dosen't come out of it smelling completely like a rose either, I wouldn't appreciate getting played like that. 

In any case, "manipulation" was much too strong of a word. She was more using her charm as leverage in negotiation. People use charisma, good looks, etc. all the time in business negotiations.

The point I was trying to make wasn't to paint her as some sort of greek goddess even though she already is but that the negative connotations the come with the word "manipulation" could've been a bit damaging and did not fit what she was doing/her personality :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

I see what you mean and had Rarity been genuinely interested in him I'd agree, but considering she was just faking it to get what she wanted wouldn't that construe as manipulation?

Am i the only one in the fandom who thought that Rares charming that geekpony was not a big deal and Pinkie basically stealing from that salespony was way worse?

Rares gave nerdpony his money back, he lost nothing other than the asperphagus. So he has to eat something different, big deal. He could have just said: NO. But he really enjoyed getting flattered by Rarity, so he was okay with it.

Pinkie just conned the salespony out of half his money. That the tomatoes where cheaper the other day does not really matter. If i go to the shop and want to buy something, and that thing is suddenly more pricely, i don't steal the object and throw half the money at the vendor.

And honestly, i rather have a beautiful women that sweettalks me out of my purchase and gives me the money back, with the option to just refuse, than some kind of con artist that cheats me out of my money and runs away. At least in the first case i did not lose money, i would probably feel really good about myself for the rest of the day.

• Brohoof 1

Being assertive means showing a confident and forceful personality. All I understand is that Fluttershy was acting shy and timid. Rarity and Pinkie just wanted Fluttershy to feel more forceful and determined. People who are running a business have to take a similar approach.