Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Meghan McCarthy officially strikes down Sparity

Dattebayo

It's their fault.

They spent 2 whole seasons hinting at mutual affection between the two, and all of a sudden, they turn around andsay "Nah, that'd be weird".

I call Bullsh*ttius Maximus.

Which is why I'm not convinced. It's completely within reason to not have them actually be a thing in the show, but I don't think they're just gonna stop after all this time, after all those moments that explicitly reference this relationship. They have to be going somewhere with this theme.

• Brohoof 1

Which is why I'm not convinced. It's completely within reason to not have them actually be a thing in the show, but I don't think they're just gonna stop after all this time, after all those moments that explicitly reference this relationship. They have to be going somewhere with this theme.

]

Exactamundo.

We can only hope.

The writers are likely nipping this in the bud before one of the them gets the idea of making it too weird. I'm talking about the Breezie episode with the shape-shift spell.

Spike turns himself in a purple pony with green hair. Then fabricates a series of lies to win over Rarity and it all goes down in a sea of flames.

The writers are likely nipping this in the bud before one of the them gets the idea of making it too weird. I'm talking about the Breezie episode with the shape-shift spell.

Spike turns himself in a purple pony with green hair. Then fabricates a series of lies to win over Rarity and it all goes down in a sea of flames.

*raises hand*

That would be a good episode, actually...

Not sure what this thread says any different from the previous one, but here's the transcript from the video. Note the last statement on the subject (which I mentioned in the other thread last night):

Q: So, will Rarity ever love Spike back, or like him back in any episode?
AUD: ohhhhh.....
MM: Aw, cmon gosh y'all.... We just went over that he is a child...
Aud: So?
MM: And she is a grownup....
Aud: And?
MM: Um....
Q: I thought they were teenagers?
AKR: She's a grownup and he's a little boy.
MM: ....and he's a little kid, yeah.
AKR: Yeah, she's a grownup and he's a little boy; it's not appropriate.
MM: But... That being said, that being said we, have a, really fantastic... uh, Sparity, non, whatever episode coming up.

So the SS Sparity was sunk for about 20 seconds before it buoyed back up and sailed on! :D

What I don't get is why everyone who hates Sparity thinks it means they're gonna have a smexy makeout session on the show? I haven't read any fanfics so maybe I just don't know what's out there?

Anyway, Sparity is still the only canon ship that has lasted more than one episode (or movie...) :P:) !

• Brohoof 1

manly+tears+discord3.png

Can't say I'm surprised.  But I have to say that I think Meghan should have waited until BronyCon to drop this bombshell.  I mean, a SpRarity episode is airing this week and she kind of ruined it.

Edited by Forlong

Not sure what this thread says any different from the previous one, but here's the transcript from the video. Note the last statement on the subject (which I mentioned in the other thread last night):

Q: So, will Rarity ever love Spike back, or like him back in any episode?

AUD: ohhhhh.....

MM: Aw, cmon gosh y'all.... We just went over that he is a child...

Aud: So?

MM: And she is a grownup....

Aud: And?

MM: Um....

Q: I thought they were teenagers?

AKR: She's a grownup and he's a little boy.

MM: ....and he's a little kid, yeah.

AKR: Yeah, she's a grownup and he's a little boy; it's not appropriate.

MM: But... That being said, that being said we, have a, really fantastic... uh, Sparity, non, whatever episode coming up.

So the SS Sparity was sunk for about 20 seconds before it buoyed back up and sailed on! :D

Not really....based on what was said before that last line, and the last line itself "Sparity, non, whatever episode", sounds like she was saying they have a non-Sparity Spike and Rarity episode in the future. It'd be really.....odd, if they said it'd be wrong, and than immediately turn around and say "ya were gonna do it anyway lulz".

If there's any reason to shoot down Sparity, I think them being different species would be the reason, not their age difference.

Ya.....no. Pedophilia is definitely the only legit reason to be against it. (I don't get why people have a problem with inter-species relationships, seriously, that's the same as being against inter-racial ones :okiedokielokie: )

Edited by Sir Wulfington

Not really....based on what was said before that last line, and the last line itself "Sparity, non, whatever episode", sounds like she was saying they have a non-Sparity Spike and Rarity episode in the future. It'd be really.....odd, if they said it'd be wrong, and than immediately turn around and say "ya were gonna do it anyway lulz".

Ya.....no. Pedophilia is definitely the only legit reason to be against it. (I don't get why people have a problem with inter-species relationships, seriously, that's the same as being against inter-racial ones :okiedokielokie: )

Inter-racial ones? That's technically not the same as inter-species, since different races are a part of the same species. We also don't know if dragon years is the same as pony years when it comes to aging.

Hey there, @Sir Wulfington! I merged your thread with this one as the two topics were so similar. In the future, please use our search function to make sure you don't make a duplicate thread.

Otherwise, feel free to keep up the conversation!

I always saw Rarity showing affection towards Spike as more of a big sister/mentor type deal. Like, she thinks he's adorable and is really, really fond of him, but definitely not in a romantic way. I really love that dynamic from her, mostly because it's one I share.

May just be the teacher talking though. A lot of us grow super fond of our students and care for them a great deal; but it's a parental kind of emotion. It's what makes good teachers so passionate about their jobs.

I keep hearing the age gap as the reason the Sparity pairing shouldn't be pulled off.

yet I'm still hearing no counter-arguments against the idea of Spike waiting until he is of legal age before pursuing a relationship with Sparity.

Seriously, some of us here have already brought up the 'Adult Spike/Still-Adult Rarity' pairing idea, yet for some reason, no ones responding in support of the idea, nor railing against it.

I keep hearing the age gap as the reason the Sparity pairing shouldn't be pulled off.

yet I'm still hearing no counter-arguments against the idea of Spike waiting until he is of legal age before pursuing a relationship with Sparity.

Seriously, some of us here have already brought up the 'Adult Spike/Still-Adult Rarity' pairing idea, yet for some reason, no ones responding in support of the idea, nor railing against it.

Pretty much as I said before, unless Rarity flat-out tells him on-screen that it won't work between them, nothing can really be called 'official', no matter who says it.  In other words, if it isn't in the show, it didn't happen.  I'm not saying it won't.  I'm only saying that it needs to happen in the show for it to be 'official'.  

Now, onto the decision for them to come out and make a statement on the issue.  I'm not pro-Sparity or whatever it's called.  I just want to get that out there before I continue, so there's no confusion. 

But at the same time, it was a poor decision on Meghan's part to come out and say something like that without it happening in the show.  People need to have the freedom to use their imaginations with things they like, especially fans of a series.  If you take away that freedom, you take away a lot of the incentive for them to stay tuned in the hopes of seeing episodes that reference it. 

As much as I like Meghan as a writer, I have to call her out on this.  This was not a smart move on her part.  She really needs to think twice about what she says in regard to things that fans like, especially right before an episode that deals with the subject matter.

Edited by SBaby

I'm certainly not against them getting together when he grows up, but I don't expect that to happen in the show's run-time.

Pretty much as I said before, unless Rarity flat-out tells him on-screen that it won't work between them, nothing can really be called 'official', no matter who says it.  In other words, if it isn't in the show, it didn't happen.  I'm not saying it won't.  I'm only saying that it needs to happen in the show for it to be 'official'.  

Now, onto the decision for them to come out and make a statement on the issue.  I'm not pro-Sparity or whatever it's called.  I just want to get that out there before I continue, so there's no confusion. 

But at the same time, it was a poor decision on Meghan's part to come out and say something like that without it happening in the show.  People need to have the freedom to use their imaginations with things they like, especially fans of a series.  If you take away that freedom, you take away a lot of the incentive for them to stay tuned in the hopes of seeing episodes that reference it. 

As much as I like Meghan as a writer, I have to call her out on this.  This was not a smart move on her part.  She really needs to think twice about what she says in regard to things that fans like, especially right before an episode that deals with the subject matter.

She only turned it down because it would be pedophilia, which should've been obvious to people watching by now.

Okay, I'll bite. (Just as a disclaimer, people can ship whatever they want to ship, that's totally cool. I'm not here to hate on anyone. Just debating.)

Often when you've known someone as a child it's extremely difficult to view them romantically even after they've aged up. As Spike still seems pre-adolescent, this definitely applies. Not saying it's never happened but it's rare. There's always an enormous maturity gap too, which is hard to bridge.

It's also frowned upon. If they're both consenting adults then by all means; I don't stick my nose into the relationship business of others. But it's definitely not considered all that appropriate.

Granted the fact that I'm a trainee teacher is really what nails this one as a notp for me. People lose their careers over stuff like this. But even putting that aside (as Rarity is obviously not a teacher) I can't see it as realistic any way I look at it. (Also, the platonic dynamic between them is fantastic, and I just can't see the puppy crush of a little kid being something that would endure through adolescence into adulthood. That's a heck of a long time, and people change A LOT in that period.)

• Brohoof 1

Oh come on, at least 0.5 out of ten fanfics are good!

That's it? I'm at least kind enough to apply Sturgeon's Law to fanfics here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

tl;dr: Science fiction author Theodore Sturgeon, when asked if it was true that ninety percent of science fiction is crud, replied that "Ninety percent of everything is crud."

She only turned it down because it would be pedophilia, which should've been obvious to people watching by now.

Kind of sounds more like she was only responding to the context in which the question was taken, which makes it far from an 'official' statement.  

But it's not about the context or the speculation that they may be trying to avoid making it look like pedophilia (honestly I think that word is nothing but a means to avoid having to criticize a decision that clearly wasn't very smart).  And it's definitely not about me being a Sparity fan, because I honestly don't really care what they do with that.

It's about the timing and the fact that there are some things that writers should just give fans the freedom to be fans and use their imaginations on, especially when an episode on the subject is coming up.  This was a poor decision on her part, it was terrible timing, and people are going to call it out, just like they call out other things on the show.  I don't necessarily always agree with what they call them out on, but in this case I do.

Later on down the road, people will probably be more inclined to agree with me on this issue as other 'official' statements are made in panels to come.  But for now, I don't expect alot of people to really grasp why I'm saying this.  At least not yet.  And I'll tell you why below.  And at first, this is going to seem like a poor analogy, but when I explain it, it'll make sense.

This to me is alot like Twilicorn.  And I know what you're saying, but just let me explain.  The thing people may not remember is when Twilicorn was first announced, bronies almost universally HATED it.  They hated it with a passion.  I remember reading topic after topic about people who said that if the show went through with this change, they would quit the fandom.  I read that stuff.  You read that stuff.  You may not necessarily remember how much of it there was, but this site was FLOODED with it.  Absolutely FLOODED.  

When I mentioned that I thought this change would be good for the show, I got a ton of flak for it.  Not only here, but everywhere.  People sent me hate mail, alot of hate mail.  Nowadays, it's pretty much universally accepted that the only thing wrong with Magical Mystery Cure was that it should have been a two or three-parter.

So I imagine later on down the road, when other panels happen and other 'official' statements come out, people will start to understand why I said what I said.

• Brohoof 1

Whenever someone/somepony says "That being said" or "Having said that" to me usually means they're about to contradict themselves. :)

But in any case....

We'll find out this Saturday whether the episode has any significant Sparity in it or not, and if so, whether it's closing the book on the relationship or simply doing the usual stuff they've done the past 3 seasons. :)

Whenever someone/somepony says "That being said" or "Having said that" to me usually means they're about to contradict themselves. :)

But in any case....

We'll find out this Saturday whether the episode has any significant Sparity in it or not, and if so, whether it's closing the book on the relationship or simply doing the usual stuff they've done the past 3 seasons. :)

It's pretty fucked up tho to admit that something is immoral, but than say you're gonna do it anyway. Hence why I don't think they intend on doing it (also based on their wording as I said, that they meant to say the next episode will be a non-sparity Spike and Rarity episode). Like I can't honestly imagine them saying, in public with (I assume) many many people around that pedophilia is wrong, but that they're going to canonize a pedophiliac relationship anyway. Unless they're trying to show viewers the immorality of such a thing, (which I highly doubt for reasons I don't think I need to explain), than it's safe to say that they're not going to do it.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

I like how Rarity goes from knowing about Spike's crush to becoming completely oblivious of it. It confuses me whenever it happens!

It's pretty fucked up tho to admit that something is immoral, but than say you're gonna do it anyway. Hence why I don't think they intend on doing it (also based on their wording as I said, that they meant to say the next episode will be a non-sparity Spike and Rarity episode). Like I can't honestly imagine them saying, in public with (I assume) many many people around that pedophilia is wrong, but that they're going to canonize a pedophiliac relationship anyway. Unless they're trying to show viewers the immorality of such a thing, (which I highly doubt for reasons I don't think I need to explain), than it's safe to say that they're not going to do it.

Pedophilic AND inter-species. Edited by Shenron00