Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Meghan McCarthy officially strikes down Sparity

Dattebayo

It's pretty fucked up tho to admit that something is immoral, but than say you're gonna do it anyway. Hence why I don't think they intend on doing it (also based on their wording as I said, that they meant to say the next episode will be a non-sparity Spike and Rarity episode).

Her "non-whatever" comment came off to me that she couldn't think of single-word way to say, "A Sparity episode where there's nothing inappropriate going on." If she had just said "Non-Sparity" in the first place then that's all she would have needed to say. Maybe she was going to say, "non-icky" or something?

I do find it a little upsetting that some would find Rarity showing any signs of affection towards Spike as making her into a pedophile. That is such an ugly word to use to describe a wonderful character and is unfair. By definition, a pedophile is someone who is sexually attracted to (in the MLP universe) foals because they are foals; Rarity is quite the opposite - except for Spike and Sweetie Belle, she seems to not want to have anything to do with the kinder-folk. (And it fact, based on her personality, sometimes I wonder if she'll even have any foals of her own?)

If Spike ever does pierce that big, wonderful, heart of hers, it's not because he's a kid/teen/whatever - it because he's shown her love and compassion and been there for her whenever possible. He's far more of a Prince Charming than Blueblood ever was, and in fact is more of a mature gentleman/gentlecolt/gentledragon than most of the adults I know in real life.

I think both the Sparity fans and Sparity non-fans can agree - if they're going to shut it down, there needs to be some kind of closure, and that requires there to be at least one more Sparity episode. Spike deserves at the very least that much consideration. :catface:

Edited by TruffleShuffle
  • Brohoof 1

Her "non-whatever" comment came off to me that she couldn't think of single-word way to say, "A Sparity episode where there's nothing inappropriate going on." If she had just said "Non-Sparity" in the first place then that's all she would have needed to say. Maybe she was going to say, "non-icky" or something?

I do find it a little upsetting that some would find Rarity showing any signs of affection towards Spike as making her into a pedophile. That is such an ugly word to use to describe a wonderful character and is unfair. By definition, a pedophile is someone who is sexually attracted to (in the MLP universe) foals because they are foals; Rarity is quite the opposite - except for Spike and Sweetie Belle, she seems to not want to have anything to do with the kinder-folk. (And it fact, based on her personality, sometimes I wonder if she'll even have any foals of her own?)

If Spike ever does pierce that big, wonderful, heart of hers, it's not because he's a kid/teen/whatever - it because he's shown her love and compassion and been there for her whenever possible. He's far more of a Prince Charming than Blueblood ever was, and in fact is more of a mature gentleman/gentlecolt/gentledragon than most of the adults I know in real life.

I think both the Sparity fans and Sparity non-fans can agree - if they're going to shut it down, there needs to be some kind of closure, and that requires there to be at least one more Sparity episode. Spike deserves at the very least that much consideration. :catface:

It just doesn't make sense for them to contradict themselves like that. It'll be Rarity and Spike episode, but it won't involve her returning Spike's feelings in anyway. And are you saying that you've no issue with romance between a child and an adult, so long as nothing sexual is involved? I don't think anyone here wants this thread to go that route.

Pedophilic AND inter-species.

Again I ask, what's wrong with inter-species relationships? And don't say "cuz it's weird".

It just doesn't make sense for them to contradict themselves like that. It'll be Rarity and Spike episode, but it won't involve her returning Spike's feelings in anyway. And are you saying that you've no issue with romance between a child and an adult, so long as nothing sexual is involved? I don't think anyone here wants this thread to go that route.

Again I ask, what's wrong with inter-species relationships? And don't say "cuz it's weird".

It depends. I think it's okay in fiction, but even then, THAT should have limits (like humans and animals, that just shouldn't happen, looking at you Princess Elise). I probably should have said that the idea of a dragon and a pony just doesn't click in my head. Sorry Sparity shippers.

It depends. I think it's okay in fiction, but even then, THAT should have limits (like humans and animals, that just shouldn't happen, looking at you Princess Elise). I probably should have said that the idea of a dragon and a pony just doesn't click in my head. Sorry Sparity shippers.

Well Sonic is sentient like a human being, so I never got the "THIS IS SICK" backlash over their relationship. The only issue I have with dragonxpony in mlp is that the lifespan of dragons could be much longer than ponies, so Spike could be hundreds of year sold while Rarity is long dead, which would be really sad :(.

Well, inter-species shippings could work.

Rememeber Donkey and Dragon from Shrek?

img-2549728-1-tumblr_inline_myjdzsXxw91r

Oh yeah! They had those little dragon/donkey babies too! It still seems strange and impossible to me, but if they can make it happen, then I guess Hasbro could do it too. Well, the main problem with the ship is pedophilia anyways...so...I guess if you can make it work, inter-species relationships are kind of okay, as long as it's not going too far (you getting this Elise? Better start taking notes girl.)

Well Sonic is sentient like a human being, so I never got the "THIS IS SICK" backlash over their relationship. The only issue I have with dragonxpony in mlp is that the lifespan of dragons could be much longer than ponies, so Spike could be hundreds of year sold while Rarity is long dead, which would be really sad :(.

Just because Sonic's anthropomorphic doesn't mean he's not still an animal. But you can think what you want. What's even creepier than the while "kiss an animal thing" is the fact that she made-out with a corpse! You gotta admit, if making out with animals isn't messed up, then at least necrophilia is. Anyways, lets stop talking about '06 before it gets out of hand.

And are you saying that you've no issue with romance between a child and an adult, so long as nothing sexual is involved?

If it was a series about humans, then yes there would be issues. But this being between a dragon and pony puts their relationship in a different reality where the normal rules don't apply, IMO. And like I said I think Spike is at least 15 years old (despite what MM says), and he's not voiced by an actual kid nor does he behave like an actual kid; so there's no real conflict in my mind since he seems more like an adult. Rarity showing him a little affection once or twice a season, if nothing more than a thank-you for being there for her doesn't bother me.

Also, after reading fanfics like "How to Woo Your Lady in Nine Easy Steps" I'm more convinced than ever that Sparity is like a nice, warm n' fuzzy blanket to wrap oneself in and not something twisted and evil. :catface: I was in tears for the last half of that story. :(

Finally, I don't recall any furor over Ash getting romanced by a bunch of Pokemon over the years (and that was, technically, worse in terms of appropriateness), so I'm baffled by the uproar coming from some corners of the fandom over Spike and Rarity. :derp:

I agree with your comment here directed at the other poster you quoted in your reply to me: Expecting there to be no relationships in a world with multiple sapient species is a little unrealistic. :)

• Brohoof 2

If it was a series about humans, then yes there would be issues. But this being between a dragon and pony puts their relationship in a different reality where the normal rules don't apply, IMO. And like I said I think Spike is at least 15 years old (despite what MM says), and he's not voiced by an actual kid nor does he behave like an actual kid; so there's no real conflict in my mind since he seems more like an adult. Rarity showing him a little affection once or twice a season, if nothing more than a thank-you for being there for her doesn't bother me.

Also, after reading fanfics like "How to Woo Your Lady in Nine Easy Steps" I'm more convinced than ever that Sparity is like a nice, warm n' fuzzy blanket to wrap oneself in and not something twisted and evil. :catface: I was in tears for the last half of that story. :(

Finally, I don't recall any furor over Ash getting romanced by a bunch of Pokemon over the years (and that was, technically, worse in terms of appropriateness), so I'm baffled by the uproar coming from some corners of the fandom over Spike and Rarity. :derp:

I agree with your comment here directed at the other poster you quoted in your reply to me: Expecting there to be no relationships in a world with multiple sapient species is a little unrealistic. :)

But like they said in the vid, he's a child, and she's a grown adult. And just because he seems intelligent for his age doesn't mean he's capable of understanding the consequences of a romantic/sexual relationship. People get seriously messed up when they're older because an adult took advantage of their naivety, because they turn around and realize what they did once they're old enough to truly understand, and they're horrified.

I've never gotten the impression that Spike is truly in love with Rarity, just that he has a mere crush on her which boils down to primarily (if not entirely) because he finds her physically attractive. This is a typical child-has-a-crush-on-adult trope and I don't get why people want it to go beyond that.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

So you're putting more stock in a fanfic than the word of the head writer of the show?

post-3094-0-70829100-1398347297_thumb.png

The fanfic may show that it could be done in a believable fashion, but that doesn't negate the fact the McCarthy isn't going in that direction.

So you're putting more stock in a fanfic than the word of the head writer of the show?

attachicon.gifRarity_vector_by_HelgiH.png

The fanfic may show that it could be done in a believable fashion, but that doesn't negate the fact the McCarthy isn't going in that direction.

Indeed, the writers have put this to rest finally. And to anyone saying "it hasn't happened in the show so it's not canon!", that's not how it works. If word-of-god (aka the writers) say something is canon, than it is, even if it's not shown in the story itself, unless it contradicts something in said story. I get that some of you, for whatever reason, really want to keep this ship going, but it's sunk, and it ain't coming back up.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

I've never gotten the impression that Spike is truly in love with Rarity, just that he has a mere crush on her which boils down to primarily (if not entirely) because he finds her physically attractive. This is a typical child-has-a-crush-on-adult trope and I don't get why people want it to go beyond that.

I completely disagree with the idea that he is merely physically attracted to her, but to each their own. I can't speak for other Sparity fans, but I want it to go beyond a one-sided crush because Spike has put so much time and effort into it that he deserves a little acknowledgement for his efforts, and it's just plain cute. Like I said in my previous message, this is a cartoon with talking animals, not reality. The rules that apply to real life don't apply here.

The fanfic example wasn't meant as an example of how the show was going to go, it was merely an answer to the question as to whether the situation the two characters are currently in could be handled in a manner that doesn't make Rarity seem like a perv.

I know full well that Sparity may be on the decline ("Simple Ways", as I've said before, pretty much confirmed it) but somehow I don't think it is ever going to go away completely in the show. You can't necessarily take the word of the writers as gospel, anyway. A perfect example is Princess Sally from the Sonic comic - she was dead, with even head writer Ken Penders stating that was the absolute truth - until she wasn't. Oops! :)

this is a cartoon with talking animals, not reality. The rules that apply to real life don't apply here.

The fanfic example wasn't meant as an example of how the show was going to go, it was merely an answer to the question as to whether the situation the two characters are currently in could be handled in a manner that doesn't make Rarity seem like a perv.

I know full well that Sparity may be on the decline ("Simple Ways", as I've said before, pretty much confirmed it) but somehow I don't think it is ever going to go away completely in the show. You can't necessarily take the word of the writers as gospel, anyway. A perfect example is Princess Sally from the Sonic comic - she was dead, with even head writer Ken Penders stating that was the absolute truth - until she wasn't. Oops! :)

First, no, I hate seeing this argument, just because it's a show where something unlike real life occurs (magic, talking animals, etc.) does not mean that the story can get away with anything else that's unrealistic. Stuff like that can be excused, because tho they aren't things that exist in reality, they are however things that could believably exist in some other reality, at the very least. And again, the writers said no because it'd be inappropriate due to the fact that he's a child and she's an adult, so they're, as a result, saying that a baby dragon getting with an adult mare is the equivalent of a young boy and a grown woman getting together. There isn't any way around this.

And yes, the writers can change their minds, but until they do, we have to accept what they have currently said (unless the show contradicts them) as canon. I get the feeling that you're really reaching to keep this ship going, sorry but it's just not gonna happen anymore. Hold onto hope if you want, but it's pointless, is all I'm saying.

• Brohoof 1

The most exciting part for me was when McCarthy and Rogers both confirmed that Rarity is an adult, and explicitly not a teenager. I've been debating about the ponies' ages for a while (and I feel it's obvious that these ponies who live on their own and have jobs are adults), so this is good final confirmation.

• Brohoof 1

Their crush was very cute at the beginning, but it never had a chance to become something serious. Rarity never felt something serious towards Spike, neither he. He just experienced an youthful infatuation, it sometimes happen that e.g. kids "fall in love" with teacher or actress or some other adult person. If it would be further developed it would change from being cute to being ridiculous.
I'm glad that they finally put end to this.

• Brohoof 1

The most exciting part for me was when McCarthy and Rogers both confirmed that Rarity is an adult, and explicitly not a teenager. I've been debating about the ponies' ages for a while (and I feel it's obvious that these ponies who live on their own and have jobs are adults), so this is good final confirmation.

Before I start, I'll remind you that Lauren Faust herself stated that she deliberately left the ponies' ages out of the show so people can use their imaginations and the characters could be however old the fans want them to be.  So anything Meghan or any other writer says as 'official' is in reality their own personal interpretation of it, a theory at best.  Again, until they flat-out say it in the show, it can't be called 'official' no matter who says it.

Now for the 'adult' thing.  Age differences between the ponies aside, as I said before numerous times, it depends on what Equestria's definition of an 'adult' is though.  Now this is the key to the age debate here.  Is it the same as our modern definition of an adult, or is it similar to the definition of an adult in the middle ages?  Very different age groups there.

In modern times, legally a person is an adult at 17 or 18 in most places.  In the middle ages, a person was considered an adult at 13, and often becoming a provider with a job at that age as well or at least being apprenticed.  Sound familiar?  It should, because every one of the mane six either has a job, or is an apprentice.

What people never think about with the age thing is the fact that you constantly see mares who are clearly older than the mane six (such as the princesses, the cakes and even some of the stallions).  Coincidence?  If it was just the Princesses, maybe (after all, they're thousands of years old).  But so many of them looking like that?  I think not, unless you're going to tell me that ponies in Equestria have infinite lifespans.

On top of that, what is Equestria?  A fantasy setting with often very strong medieval themes.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

Well based on this latest episode

they see eachother as just friends, and spike seems perfectly fine with it. So I was right all along :D

Before I start, I'll remind you that Lauren Faust herself stated that she deliberately left the ponies' ages out of the show so people can use their imaginations and the characters could be however old the fans want them to be.  So anything Meghan or any other writer says as 'official' is in reality their own personal interpretation of it, a theory at best.  Again, until they flat-out say it in the show, it can't be called 'official' no matter who says it.

Now for the 'adult' thing.  Age differences between the ponies aside, as I said before numerous times, it depends on what Equestria's definition of an 'adult' is though.  Now this is the key to the age debate here.  Is it the same as our modern definition of an adult, or is it similar to the definition of an adult in the middle ages?  Very different age groups there.

In modern times, legally a person is an adult at 17 or 18 in most places.  In the middle ages, a person was considered an adult at 13, and often becoming a provider with a job at that age as well or at least being apprenticed.  Sound familiar?  It should, because every one of the mane six either has a job, or is an apprentice.

What people never think about with the age thing is the fact that you constantly see mares who are clearly older than the mane six (such as the princesses, the cakes and even some of the stallions).  Coincidence?  If it was just the Princesses, maybe (after all, they're thousands of years old).  But so many of them looking like that?  I think not, unless you're going to tell me that ponies in Equestria have infinite lifespans.

On top of that, what is Equestria?  A fantasy setting with often very strong medieval themes.

Dude, seriously, stop. You're stretching beyond the point of rational now, you might as well say that any word could mean something different in equestria, by your logic. Lauren Faust also isn't the head writer anymore, so she doesn't decide what's canon and what isn't. If I hand over the rights of my story to someone else, that means they're the new word-of-god. As such, Lauren's words should no longer be considered legitimate unless the writers confirm it.

Sparity is dead, canonically speaking, because it's pedophilia, which is immoral, just accept it and move on guys.

edit: and even if, somehow, adult and child meant different things in equestria (which we have no reason to believe), the writers themselves specificially said that it would innapropriate due to the fact that he's a kid and she's a grown mare. There's no way you can stretch that to mean anything else.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

I'm sorry to all you Sparity shippers, but I always saw that ship as awkward and wierd, a dragon and a pony. And I won't even mention the fan art. I'm glad it won't happen; I'm happy with Meghan. But, the ship is going to grow even more, and we can't stop it. Like Thereisnospoon303 said, it will keep growing.

Edited by ~Nami the PegaCat~

Sooo glad to see that get shot down. I was never a big fan of Sparity it didn't seem to match up right for me. I'm more personal to Spikebloom. I for some reason love that ship and ship it hard. I think that those two would be perfect for each other but sadly unless my memory fails me there's been no kind of sign that he's even into her. Oh well all aboard the shipping boat.

post-8425-0-87813500-1398526123.png

Actually, Faust herself called them young adults who only act like and have the maturity level of teenagers.

my-little-pony-mlp-%D1%85%D1%83%D0%BC%D0

If this isn't confirmation, I don't know what is.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I'm with the Sparity=Pedophilia crowd, and am glad this ship has died down now. 

Personally I prefer Spikie Belle, myself.  Even if it has no basis whatsoever outside of this photograph:

20120423060149!Sweetie_Belle_and_Spike_d

• Brohoof 1

I know I brought this up already already, but the writers never addressed the idea of of Spike waiting until he's an adult himself before trying to date Rarity.

Heck, I asked McCarthy about that idea on her Twitter afew days ago  and she hasn't replied yet.

So unless the writers give out an official reason for why the idea of the adult Spike and Rarity pairing won't be possible, I'm still gonna consider this pairing alive and kicking, regardless of what some of you here might say.

Sparity is kinda gross and inherently bizarre, especially since Spike is a child and will outlive Rarity in his teens. From what we know about MLP dragons, they age slowly.

It might seem that Dragons age slowly, but no canon sources have really given us any clear info on how slowly. Also, we don't have any info on how Equestrian ponies age and how long they live.

Dude, seriously, stop. You're stretching beyond the point of rational now, you might as well say that any word could mean something different in equestria, by your logic.

Except they can, and they have meant different things in Equestria.  I do admire the somewhat circular logic here.  I brought up that in medieval times, 13-year-olds were considered adults (and still are in some countries), and you take that fact to mean that I'm somehow stretching beyond the point of rational.  I was going to say something funny about this, but I can't think of anything, so I'll just leave this part at that.

Lauren Faust also isn't the head writer anymore, so she doesn't decide what's canon and what isn't.  If I hand over the rights of my story to someone else, that means they're the new word-of-god.

Alas, you are right about that.  Much like when Dimitria replaced Zordon in Power Rangers Turbo, we can indeed say 'Meghan ain't Lauren' (though the changeover wasn't nearly as bad as it was in Turbo).  However...

As such, Lauren's words should no longer be considered legitimate unless the writers confirm it.

That's fine, but you still haven't answered my question (don't feel bad, nobody has).  Where in the show is anything regarding the end of 'Sparity' (again, I really hate that term) and the ages of the mane six officially stated?  As I said before, if it isn't in the show, it isn't canon (and I doubt the ages of the mane six will ever come up, for reasons that Dr. Mechano inadvertently mentioned below).  However, if it does end up in the show at some point, I will indeed believe it to be canon then.  I'm not that way.  If it happens in the show, I acknowledge it.  After all, Twilicorn happened, and I acknowledged it.

Actually, Faust herself called them young adults who only act like and have the maturity level of teenagers.

img-2568980-1-my-little-pony-mlp-%D1%85%

If this isn't confirmation, I don't know what is.

She also says 'it's imprecise' right in the same post and then starts talking about how they need to be relatable to younger kids.  How can they be relatable to younger kids if they're fully grown adults?  Answer:  They can't.

Also, I am sick of people using the word 'pedophilia.  It's just a boyhood crush.  Nothing's come of it.  Nothing will likely come of it.  Unless you actually think there is the slightest chance that a real ship between the two could happen, there is absolutely no value in using that word to describe it.  I mean, really.  Let's stop using that word.  It's disgusting, and it really contributes nothing to the discussion.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

She also says 'it's imprecise' right in the same post and then starts talking about how they need to be relatable to younger kids.  How can they be relatable to younger kids if they're fully grown adults?  Answer:  They can't.

My favorite character as a kid was Mario, so I wouldn't say adults are inherently uninteresting or unrelatable to children. Imprecise or not, though, she does call them adults, so I'm going with that.

• Brohoof 1