Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the scariest animal?

ZukoIsBestPony

post-23625-0-66414200-1398547012_thumb.jpg

This thing. They come in the night with weapons that spit metal, they tear down your homes with machines stronger than stone. They are unstoppable, not even our best warriors have been able to best their machines. And after their dread machines, they come in endless numbers.

• Brohoof 5

If it was on this earth and creepy, I don't mind either way.

Okay, sea scorpions, I saw them as CGI on walking with monsters, and even though they've been extinct for millions of years, they just freak me out. In fact they freak me out so much I can't even put a picture up!

• Brohoof 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This thing. They come in the night with weapons that spit metal, they tear down your homes with machines stronger than stone. They are unstoppable, not even our best warriors have been able to best their machines. And after their dread machines, they come in endless numbers.

Oh yes, I think I've seen those before:

img-2568601-1-angler-fish_222_600x4501.j

Angler fish! I mean, just look at these things!

You forgot the most horrifying aspect of the anglerfish, which is how many species of it reproduce:

Some anglerfish, like those of the Ceratioid group (Ceratiidae, or sea devils), employ an unusual mating method. Because individuals are locally rare, encounters are also very rare. Therefore, finding a mate is problematic. When scientists first started capturing ceratioid anglerfish, they noticed that all of the specimens were female. These individuals were a few centimetres in size and almost all of them had what appeared to be parasites attached to them. It turned out that these "parasites" were highly reduced male ceratioids. This indicates that anglerfish use a polyandrous mating system.

In certain ceratioids, parasitic reproduction is required. Free living males and non-parasitized females in these species never have fully developed gonads. Thus, males never mature without parasitizing a female and die if they are unable to find one.[2] At birth, male ceratioids are already equipped with extremely well-developed olfactory organs[15] that detect scents in the water. Males of some species also develop large, highly specialized eyes that may aid in identifying mates in dark environments. The male ceratioid lives solely to find and mate with a female. They are significantly smaller than a female angler fish, and may have trouble finding food in the deep sea. Furthermore, the growth of the alimentary canals of some males becomes stunted, preventing them from feeding. Some taxa have jaw apparatus that are never suitable or effective for prey capture.[15] These features necessitate that the male quickly find a female anglerfish to prevent death. The sensitive olfactory organs help the male to detect the pheromones that signal the proximity of a female anglerfish.

However, the methods by which anglerfish locate mates are variable. Some species have minute eyes unfit for identifying females visually, while others have underdeveloped nostrils, making it unlikely that they effectively find females using olfaction.[2] When a male finds a female, he bites into her skin, and releases an enzyme that digests the skin of his mouth and her body, fusing the pair down to the blood-vessel level.[15] The male becomes dependent on the female host for survival by receiving nutrients via their shared circulatory system, and provides sperm to the female in return. After fusing, males increase in volume and become much larger relative to free-living males of the species. They live and remain reproductively functional as long as the female lives and can take part in multiple spawnings.[2] This extreme sexual dimorphism ensures that, when the female is ready to spawn, she has a mate immediately available.[16] Multiple males can be incorporated into a single individual female with up to eight males in some species, though some taxa appear to have a one male per female rule.[2]

• Brohoof 1

The Sydney Funnel Web Spider. They're big, mean, and incredibly venomous. I wouldn't want to meet one ever.

Come on, I LIVE IN SYDNEY. AND AUSTRALIA. They're actually pretty adorable, just saying. They don't bite you unless you aggravate them.

• Brohoof 1

Us.

Why? Simple.

We fight against each other, we try and control each other's lives, all in the name of ''justice' and 'safety'.

Yeah, we could learn a lot from animals.

Feel like a quick protein pick-me-up? Eat your children!

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Us.

Why? Simple.

We fight against each other, we try and control each other's lives, all in the name of ''justice' and 'safety'.

A lot of animals do the same thing, but they do it based on instincts. At least we have justification right?

Trust me, there are much more freaky reasons to be afraid of 'man'. Our justice system is the least of our problems.

Edited by HarmoniousWhovian
  • Brohoof 3

C'mon, misanthropes, stick to the OP....

Sharks, because they are a giant mass of serrated flesh and and jagged teeth.

I really don't care if you pull out some mundane stat that claims that slipping on a banana is a more likely death, a banana isn't a mindless meat-eating machine.

Also, Dolphins.

Did you know that they are the only species on Earth other than humans that have been known to rape, tortured, and kill out of overdom and just for fun? Routinely?

Now you do.

• Brohoof 3

Also, Dolphins. Did you know that they are the only species on Earth other than humans that have been known to rape, tortured, and kill out of overdom and just for fun? Routinely? Now you do.

Holy crap! I love dolphins but...that's terrifying . 0.0

Holy crap! I love dolphins but...that's terrifying . 0.0

There's a video out there of a group of dolphins basically torturing a newly-released dolphin that was bred in captivty.

They were biting it, ramming it, disembolwing it...

When the poor guy finally died, they sexually assaulted it's carcass and played with it for 10 minutes before they got bored and left. @~@

I think that the scariest animal is the "human". But that is because "humans" are known to be complex and have complex motivations that may or may not be compatible with my well being at any given time. With a lion I at least know that I need to run.

• Brohoof 2