Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private That Shrinking Feeling

I used to be a stranger

"Anala, I'd love to see you try to toilet paper my house if I didn't give you candy on Nightmare Night. I'd be prepared:, chuckled Number Cruncher.

Suddenly, Number Cruncher noticed what some of the others noticed: two dumb looking colts with a tarantula in a jar.

Number Cruncher groaned, "Can this day can't get any worse? But hmmm, I suppose if needed, I could momentarily stun the tarantula and maybe we could fight it with arrows but would that be enough? "

@@DukeofCanterlot,

@@Kay Dreamer,

Anala chuckled. "For me, perhaps. But Riley has flying on his side."

Not being informed on the traditions, Kay asked about Nigtmare Night, teasing Anala as well.

Anala rolld her eyes. She opened her mouth to explain, but she then noticed what the others had: two dumb-looking colts with a tarantula in a jar.

And for one of the few times in her life, Anala felt genuine fear.

She grabbed Number Cruncher over her shoulder, and carried him into a chipped teacup. She pulled it down over them. It was pitch-dark, but it was still preferable to the fate that could befall them if the two colts noticed them.

• Brohoof 1

@

Number Cruncher was in for a shock but not in the way he expected.

He suddenly felt himself be swept off the ground. Was that Anala?

Yes it was, she was strong for such a little mare.

How ironic that he would be referring to anything as little in his situation.

Anala carried him into a chipped teacup. It was dark inside, but Number Cruncher felt oddly safe.

"Thanks to your quick thinking there, I owe you one", said Number Cruncher to Anala.

(edited)

@@DukeofCanterlot,

"I've had some practice carrying ponies before," said Anala. "A.K. Yearling was making a visit to Manehattan one time. A friend of mine, being the huge bookwormish nerd that he is, went fanboy over her. So I had to physically pick him up and carry him away over my shoulder."

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse
  • Brohoof 1

Scribblegroove stood pinned to the ground for a moment, trying to identify where the sound was coming from, and what it was. Right as he realised there were ponies approaching, the two young colts ran into view. At first he felt relieved that they had found a few ponies to help them, but then he realised these were just children. They would most likely not understand the seriousness of their predicament. When he saw the tarantula in the bottle they were holding, his doubts became even more likely to be accurate.

Then he realised all the others were running to hide. A moment ago they had been conversing and walking casually, and immediately they had ran for cover. How quickly you turn to primitive instincts when situations like this occur... He thought to himself. He then ran towards Kay. At first he wanted to try to push her along, but he was afraid that might hurt her. So he decided to take cover behind the wooden board that Kay was heading towards. He turned around with a worried look and hoped that she wouldn't be noticed.

From within the shade of his shelter, Scribblegroove could see that all the others had ran for it as well. I still don't see what we truely have to fear from these colts. It's not like they would set loose a tarantula on innocent ponies, even if they are as young as they seem! 

Kay limped a little faster as she saw Scribblegroove take cover behind the same wood pile she was trying to reach. He wore a worried expression as he looked back at her, and she wondered exactly how injured she appeared from the outside. She was certainly sore, but she was also quite sure there was nothing permanently wrong. Finally reaching the woodpile, she ducked behind the piece of timber where Scribble was also hiding, immediately hunching down and lifting her twisted forehoof from the ground, nursing it against her chest. The pressure helped ease the pain in both her hoof and chest, though the sudden adrenaline seemed to have reduced both to a dull ache for now.

She swallowed the urge to peek around the edge of their little shelter, for fear the colts may see her. Instead, she stayed hunched over and still, hardly daring to breathe. The fear of capture was palpable to a pony so used to the freedom of wandering how she pleased. And she didn't relish the thought of being in the same jar which contained a...

"Oh, stars above," she whispered. "They have a spider." She glanced at Scribble, wide eyed. "I really hope they don't intend to release that thing here."

(edited)

Blaze leaped into the shadow nearest to him and scrambled into a small box filled with corks to the top, making a small clattering noise.

"Nopony's following us anymore." said the taller colt. "We lost 'em for good!"

"Jus-s-sh-shush!!" exclaimed the smaller colt, grabbing the other by the muzzle and holding it shut. "If we've lost that old timer, then we gotta keep low if we're gonna plan our next prank in secret."

"Do you think we should get more?" the one called Snails held up his jar. What looked like the half-eaten remains of an earwig sat inside, next to a centipede slowly crawling against the jar wall. He pressed his face against the glass, eying its large pincers. "I think we're down one creepy-crawler."

"Sure but make it fast, Snails. Time's a-wastin'!" said the one called Snips. Snails smiled and began slowly walking down the alley, looking intently into corners and crannies. Snips sat where he was, watching but muttering to himself about who might be their next 'victim'. Snails lifted up a bucket and frowned at the lack of any beetles or grubs. He stepped to the other side of the alley and moved the pogostick aside, revealing a fledgling ants nest.

"Hey Snips, what about ants?"

"Augh! You made me lose my concentration! How many times have I told you? If they aren't the red and pinchy-kind, then they're just a waste of time!"

"Fine," replied Snails, annoyed. "..I think ants are cool, doesn't matter if they aren't red or pinchy." he muttered. He pushed a gray box over to look at the underside. At the top, corks fell out and a small pair of brown hooves dangled amongst them, quickly clambering for a grip to scramble back in. Snails sighed and put the box down with a clunk, throwing Blaze back in amongst the similarly-colored corks. He walked past a broken china teaset, and tried to use his magic to lift a board at the top of a small lumber pile.

"Hghh! Herugh!!" he strained, trying to lift the topmost timber. "Ah, whatever." he said, resignedly shoving it aside. It shifted the entire pile with a loud wooden clatter. A loud hiss came up from what he had uncovered: a series of channels and routes carved into the wood by a nest of rusty-brown looking bugs.

"Snails! What did I just--"

"AAAaagh! Hissing Termites!" exclaimed Snails, running backwards and tripping over himself and collapsing on a pail, which ended up stuck on his head against his horn. He held still in perplexity, pondering the pail on his head. "....Aaaaaa!!" he decided, running straight into the brick wall. Snips looked on with an incredulous lack of surprise.

"There you are!!" exclaimed a stallion with a straw hat and a bug bite on his ear, suddenly standing at the entrance of the alleyway.

"AAAAaaa!! Old Mister MucGucket!" screamed Snips.

"Where?!" said Snails. Snips held up both of the bug jars with magic and ran past Snails, sending him spinning. Snips jumped past the garbage can as Mr. MucGucket gave chase, dodging the junk in the alley. Snips landed with a hoof on one of the timbers on the lumber pile, and kept running past the other end, yelping with the pain of termites suddenly now nipping at his hoof, as Mr. MucGucket followed him at a similar pace.

"Snips?" Snails began to dazedly wander out of the Alleyway. "Snips? Where'd you go?"

Blaze poked his head out from the pile of corks still remaining in the box, and watched the pail-headed colt walk into the corner of the alley, and then round to the outside and down the street.

"....Phew.." said Blaze. He wriggled his way out of the corks and jumped out of the box.

~~~~~Turn 8~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Player Action Result

Blaze

Hid in the cork box. Snails did spot this location, but failed to find Blaze.

Anala, Number Cruncher

Hid in the tea-set. Snails did not spot this location.

Scribblegroove, Kay

Hid in the lumber pile. Snails did spot this location, but spectacularly failed to find either pony.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

"Wow", said Number Cruncher, "you're definitely a lot stronger than me. I couldn't even lift another pony with my magic. Your friend must have not been too happy about that!"

It felt safe under the teacup. A feeling that the cream-colored unicorn hadn't felt all day.

Number Cruncher could feel running. Thankfully, no pony looked under the teacup.

@@DukeofCanterlot,

"And back when I was a filly, I was the only one who could stand on two legs, so when I whisked Riley away for archery lessons, he would ride on my back so he could shoot, because back then, he couldn't fly properly," she went on.

She heard the pitter-pattering of hooves. Thankfully, the teacup was not lifted up.

Blaze's ear piqued at the sound of a soft murmuring coming from a broken teacup sitting upside down on a saucer. Its green paisley etching blended well with the grass where it sat. He lifted up the brim of the cup, revealing two friends, huddled there.

"Aha! Found you guys. Did you see where Kay and Scribbles went?"

(edited)

@@Blue,

Anala gasped as the cup was lifted, but was relieved to see that it was only Blaze.

"We're okay, Blazey!" she replied. "But sorry, no, we didn't see Kay or Scribbles. Did you see how I yoinked Cruncher right off his hooves and carried him to safety? I was so AWESOME!"

Edited by Blue Eclipse

Kay Dreamer flinched and scrambled closer to Scribblegroove as the wood pile collapsed and shifted around them. "Aaaaaah, please don't collapse," she squeaked, as the gap through which they'd entered shrunk to about half it's original size. The smell of rotting wood was almost overwhelming. The dank little alleyway suddenly seemed like heaven compared to this.

She heard the voices of the enormous colts outside scream something about termites, but the significance didn't strike her until she heard an angry hissing, along with a scratching noise emanating from the wood in all directions around them. She froze, not daring to move. She whispered to Scribblegroove as loudly as she dared. "Scribble. Scribble. There are bugs. Dangerous bugs. In here. Please help, Icantrunfastenough." The last part came out in a desperately high pitch.

@@Kay Dreamer 

Scribblegroove sighed in relief when the two colts had finally left. He crouched a little and looked at the wooden board above them with large eyes. With Kay so close to him he could almost feel her heartbeat. It was oddly fast... or was that his? He didn't bear it much mind as the insects that had just announced their attention by hissing at them angrily, and that was an impulse far more significant than this intimacy with the frightened green unicorn that he had by his side. The scent of decay and death were overwhelming... or had he just connected mold with death in the intensity of the situation.

He stood as still as he could and tried to analyse the situation. He looked down at Kay and whispered into her ear. "On three, I'm going to fling you on my back and run for it... That is going to hurt your rib, but I can't see another way out of this mess." He prepared himself for the worst and looked behind himself. Further back he could see termites emerging from the wood, tearing it up using their large jaws with ease. If that wasn't enough motivation for him to become a little courageous, nothing would be.

He looked ahead and saw the way out. It would be just large enough for the both of them to run through. He took his chances and started to count. "One..." He whispered. He saw the termites multipllying in numbers. Had they noticed them? "Two..." Now the wood close to them was starting to crack. There was something behind it. He felt his heart drop. No more time to wait. "Three!" He quickly exclaimed. He then used his right forhoof and a little bit of levitating magic to lift Kay over his back. She was small, so she wasn't too heavy for him, but running with a load on your back was still tough, and he wasn't much for an athlete. He charged out of the lion's den as quickly as he could, trying not to bump into anything. He noticed Blaze in the distance. They would be safe...

When he had increased the distance between them and the termites far enough for Scribblegroove to assume it was safe, he slowed down slowly, coming to a halt not far from Blaze and the overturned cup. He looked back at Kay with a worried expression. "Are you okay?" He said as he went through his knees so Kay could climb of his back.

"Kay! Scribble! Thank gosh-golly-molly you're alright." Blaze stepped closer. "I hope this isn't too much for Kay. We still have a lot of ground to cover." Blaze partially winced to himself, looking at Kay slung over the unicorn's back. "There has to be a better way to get there than trying down the street all through town."

(edited)

@@Blue,

@@Kay Dreamer,

@@Scribblegroove,

@@DukeofCanterlot,

Anala eyed Kay Dreamer as the green unicorn rested on Scribblegroove's back. "Dang, what happened over there?" She trotted over to them. "Eh, Scribbles, if holding her becomes too much, I'd be happy to take over. After all, I did carry Crunchy here to safety."

Edited by Blue Eclipse

Kay Dreamer clung on for dear life as Scribble lifted her to his back and bolted through the little opening in the wood. And just in time, it seemed. The entire pile had nearly come down on them. Looking back, she saw the termites racing around it angrily, although it didn't seem as though any were following them. "Whew..." she sighed, as they approached Blaze, Anala and Number Cruncher. "That was very close... Being bitten by those beasts hurts badly enough when you're not shrunk. I lost a very lovely harp to them, once."

Kay became somewhat self-conscious of her rather helpless-looking position as Anala and Blaze both expressed their concern. She slid gently down from Scribble's back as he stopped and lowered himself for her, with a whispered "Thanks."

"I think I'll be okay for now," she insisted. "I feel a little better than I did after I first fell. I just... I can't run from danger as fast as anypony else. I wouldn't have got out of there in time if not for Scribble." She smiled at Anala's offer to carry her. She didn't doubt the mare's words in the slightest. "That's kind of you. If we're attacked again, please do - although I hope nothing else decides to chase us!"

"Yea, she's real strong", commented Number Cruncher, "and Crunchy? Never heard that nickname before."

Number Cruncher was wondering whether they would ever make it. They were still awfully far from Twilight's library and almost anything could stop them in their tracks.. but it'd be okay as long as they're aren't actually on the tracks again!

(edited)

@@Blue,

@@Kay Dreamer,

@@Scribblegroove,

@@DukeofCanterlot,

Anala smiled at Cruncher's compliment.

"And Crunchy? Never heard that nickname before."

"Well, you'd better get used to it," chuckled Anala. "Shortening names is a habit of mine. Ever since Riley and I were a colt and a filly, I've called him 'Rye'."

She shuffled her hooves about. "So, Kay, whaddaya say I tell you all about Nightmare Night?"

Edited by Blue Eclipse

"So, Kay, whaddaya say I tell you all about Nightmare Night?" said Anala.

"I think we need to keep moving, but I doubt we can cover all the distance just in one day if we navigate through and past every street and alley." replied Blaze. He doodled a few of the streets he remembered through Ponyville, making a rough map into the dirt with his hoof. He noticed a gap between some streets he had drawn. "Unless... Wait-- of course!" he marked a squiggly line in the street-gap. "There's a small creek that runs through Ponyville. All the roads in this town funnel into two bridges to cross that creek. If we could find our own way across, it would save a lot of time rather than trying to duck through streets," said Blaze, looking up towards the end of the alley. A group of ponies walked past with a cart. "And avoid getting squished, or spotted, on those bridges."

Anala listened to Blaze as he explained his plan to the group. "Sure, sounds a good idea," she said. "And yeah, I know we need to keep moving - but we can walk and talk, y'know." She turned to face Kay. "I understand if you don't want me to educate you on the subject. After all, it is rather spoooooky!" She said the word 'spooky' in... well, picture this, but with Anala:

(edited)

Scribblegroove stood up and sighed. At least that was all over with. He looked over his shoulder and saw the rampaging termites scuttle around. It was quite terrifying, but at least they were at a reasonably comfortable distance. The others were okay and in travelling condition, though he doubted kay would be very quick about it.

"I beg to differ blaze..." He said with a frown. "I'd rather not drown. We've been through a lot but there must be a better solution. "If we get to the main street I could use my magic to get someponies attention. Somepony that doesn't pose a threat to us. I am sure I can be loud enough.... Then they can bring us to Twilights library and we can all go home. I'm done with all this. Giant termites, giant trains, giant snakes and giant flowers, I'm sick of this humongous world." He said grumpily. He stomped his hoof in the ground.

He walked over to Blaze and the others. He really did hope they wouldn't trot along with Blaze's plan. How could they possibly cross a creek that was likely to be the size of a giant high-current river to them. He thought about it, but couldn't come up with anything reasonable.

Edited by Scribblegroove

"...Giant termites, giant trains, giant snakes and giant flowers, I'm sick of this humongous world."

"I know, I'm not a fan of it either." He doodled on his dirt-map again. "But if I remember right, there are some buildings that are really close to each other near the middle point inbetween the two bridges. I think they share part of a roof. If we can get to those buildings' attic, we could cross that. Then it Princess Twlight's library would be on the other side of the park right nearby." Blaze looked up from the map. "Also, do any of you fellas remember which of the bridges has those huge annoying gaps between the planks that make it super-bumpy for carts?"

Blaze noticed Scribblegroove's frown had not changed.

Kay Dreamer nodded in agreement with Blue, still very shaken from the termite incident. She looked back toward the woodpile as Scribble did, shuddering at the sight of the horrid bugs swarming all over it. "I think I'd like to get un-shrunk as soon as possible," she said. "Though I'd love to hear more about Night Mare Night once we are back to a proper size," she said to Anala. "You have no idea how frustrating it is to be a minstrel with a one thousand year chasm in her historical knowledge! I used to know all the grand stories and tales... Now, I have so much to catch up on. If you tell me of Night Mare Night, I'll share some of the older fables with you. Ones I know haven't been told for centuries."

Kay was concerned about Blue's idea of crossing the creek, though, and she wasn't the only pony. "I'm usually a strong enough swimmer, but I doubt I could keep my head above water at the moment," she said, worried. "As long as we don't actually have to swim, I guess it's a good idea." She flinched at the thought of having to leap between gaps in the planks. "Or jumping. Jumping would be... bad. The attics are probably the safest way to cross, but how would we go about getting up there?"

@@Kay Dreamer,

"I'm usually a strong enough swimmer, but I doubt I could keep my head above water at the moment. As long as we don't actually have to swim, I guess it's a good idea."

Anala nodded. "And if we do, I'll gladly give you a ride. I'm a strong swimmer, and if I can carry Cruncher, you should be no problem."

Blue walked out to the edge of the alleyway facing the street. He looked right, seeing nopony along the street and the various house fronts. To the left, a couple of ponies were making some conversation while pulling a watermelon cart, away from their direction.

"Okay, all clear." said Blaze, walking out onto the street. The distance from one side to the other was like that of a hoofball pitch, and most of it in the shade due to an overhanging candy-stripe awning sticking out from one side of the street. 'If I remember right, we should be able to get to that attic-building by going one block down this way,' he thought as he began walking diagonally out to the left from their alleyway 'And another alley over. Should be simple enough.'