Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mental Disorders

Reverie

Are there any others here who have had experiences with mental disorders?

I've just gone into remission after being diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder a couple years ago. I've spent some time in a psychiatric hospital but I really feel I'm on the right track now.

I made this thread because I think hearing about other people's experiences can be really beneficial to recovery and in general it's reassuring to know you're not alone. Also I really hate the stigma there is against mental illness so I whatever little I can do to educate people here and there I will. So feel free to ask any questions about whatever too if you're just curious. I won't bite (most likely) :)

Also I know it sounds a bit stupid, but the immense happiness of mlp has really improved my outlook. I also think it's quite impressive how there was basically an episode on tolerance and understanding of mental disorders when Twilight had her breakdown in 2.3. Made me have quite an unconditional love for the show.

• Brohoof 7

Do autistic spectrum disorders count as Mental Disorders?

Because if it does, I guess Asperger's Syndrome. I might retain a bit of ADHD but who knows, videogames might have killed that off.

I also used to suffer insomnia as a toddler, but that's gone too thankfully, soooo it's just the Asperger's now.

• Brohoof 1

I've never been technically diagnosed with anything but I feel I may have some sort of mental disorder or disorders even.

For instance I may have some form of Bipolar Disorder. I've discussed it here before where I wake up in completely different "moods". Like some days I will feel happy and VERY expressive and optimistic, but then the next day I go back to my typical depressed pessimistic self.

I tend to be constantly depressed. Not sure if that's a disorder or my life is just shit! :P

I also have an Alzheimer's like condition where I have a horrible short-term memory loss.

On top of that my headaches have returned recently! :( These are very strong, sharp, debilitating headaches that can knock me on my feet and even get close to passing out for a few seconds.

NONE of the above is diagnosed though. I have seen a neurologist for my headaches, but he only really looked for possible side effects of the medication I'm on (to help clear up scarring on back and shoulders. Side effects do include migraines and depression, but the headaches and depression were there before the medication)

I do believe I should go get help for any or all of the issues listed above, but I tend to have an irrational fear of getting help and my family members don't take these issues seriously to support me on getting help! :P

• Brohoof 1

I've never been technically diagnosed with anything but I feel I may have some sort of mental disorder or disorders even.

For instance I may have some form of Bipolar Disorder. I've discussed it here before where I wake up in completely different "moods". Like some days I will feel happy and VERY expressive and optimistic, but then the next day I go back to my typical depressed pessimistic self.

I tend to be constantly depressed. Not sure if that's a disorder or my life is just shit! :P

I also have an Alzheimer's like condition where I have a horrible short-term memory loss.

On top of that my headaches have returned recently! :( These are very strong, sharp, debilitating headaches that can knock me on my feet and even get close to passing out for a few seconds.

NONE of the above is diagnosed though. I have seen a neurologist for my headaches, but he only really looked for possible side effects of the medication I'm on (to help clear up scarring on back and shoulders. Side effects do include migraines and depression, but the headaches and depression were there before the medication)

I do believe I should go get help for any or all of the issues listed above, but I tend to have an irrational fear of getting help and my family members don't take these issues seriously to support me on getting help! :P

Have you ever gotten an MRI? I went in for migraine headaches, they gave me an MRI, and I got diagnosed with Arnold-Chiari malformation.

(edited)

You should definitely see a psychiatrist. Manic episodes that characterise bipolar disorder are often misconceived as being happy one second, sad the next. This isn't what mania is however. It often occurs as frantic, uncontrollable, racing thoughts and the need to complete certain tasks or goals that may be insignificant. For many people it isn't euphoric at all but a need is felt to take part in activities that produce euphoria, like there is a pressure to be happy and poor and often dangerous decision making often results from it.

So from what you described I'm not sure if you're bipolar but I'm not a professional. If you think something is wrong you should definitely seek help though and do not self diagnose. You may have some other kind of mood disorder. Hope this was helpful :)

Edit: Also I completely empathise with people not thinking you have problems. People think that something awful has to happen to you for you to be depressed or mentally ill but you can be in an incredibly fortunate position and still be extremely unhappy. I'm still struggling to get people to understand this so I don't know how much advice I can give you there apart from being as coherent as you can in explaining what is wrong.

Edited by Reverie

Have you ever gotten an MRI? I went in for migraine headaches, they gave me an MRI, and I got diagnosed with Arnold-Chiari malformation.

No and this goes back to my comment on the lazy neurologist who just checked for medical side effects and not a cause for the headaches.

I suppose he didn't go any further such as an MRI because a) I only went there because of my dermatologist wanted to check for possible side effects 2) He said that he knew no explanation for them. I guess that's when an MRI scan would be necessary, but apparently they must have had better things to do than worry about a possibly dangerous condition! :P

I am a registered nurse specced in psyciatry. My dad suffered from depressions, my mother in law was bipolar and commited suicide two years ago, so yeah...Personally I am coleric(dont know if you guys call it that), basically diagnosed anger issues, but have managed to get it under control, used to blackout from rage when I was younger. Have insomnia, but working nightshifts have helped alot.

Like you I have seen how much taboo still exist regarding mental disorders. Was christmas shopping one year, and a old lady out of nowhere slapped a patient and said "people like you should be locked away" :(

No and this goes back to my comment on the lazy neurologist who just checked for medical side effects and not a cause for the headaches.

I suppose he didn't go any further such as an MRI because a) I only went there because of my dermatologist wanted to check for possible side effects 2) He said that he knew no explanation for them. I guess that's when an MRI scan would be necessary, but apparently they must have had better things to do than worry about a possibly dangerous condition! :P

Pretty much, yeah. Ask them if you can get in for an MRI.

I am a registered nurse specced in psyciatry. My dad suffered from depressions, my mother in law was bipolar and commited suicide two years ago, so yeah...Personally I am coleric(dont know if you guys call it that), basically diagnosed anger issues, but have managed to get it under control, used to blackout from rage when I was younger. Have insomnia, but working nightshifts have helped alot.

Like you I have seen how much taboo still exist regarding mental disorders. Was christmas shopping one year, and a old lady out of nowhere slapped a patient and said "people like you should be locked away" :(

My mother's a psych nurse. She always has some crazy stories.

Do autistic spectrum disorders count as Mental Disorders?

Because if it does, I guess Asperger's Syndrome. I might retain a bit of ADHD but who knows, videogames might have killed that off.

I also used to suffer insomnia as a toddler, but that's gone too thankfully, soooo it's just the Asperger's now.

Insomnia is the worst. I'm still battling with that. I actually can physically not sleep without medication until it gets to the point where I haven't slept for about 3 days and my body just collapses but then I wake up from my sleep exhausted because I have terrifying lucid dreams where I still feel very much awake and often I struggle to break out of. It's like I get paralysed in my own head/sleep and it's exhausting getting myself to wake up but I'm terrified of falling back asleep again in case I get stuck for another 4 hours. I also get confused as to what was a dream and what was real life, I often dream calling/texting people asking for help or my mother coming in and arguing with her and then I check my phone and none of the messages were sent. Sometimes my limbs disappear... My brain just won't switch off :( I'm trying acupressure now. Which is a bit strange I must say but ANYTHING that will help me sleep would be a miracle.

Anyone else struggle with insomnia and could give me some advice?

I have high-functioning autism (almost identical to Aspergers but not quite), and my grandmother is bipolar; both of us are professionally diagnosed. My best friend is chronically depressed to the point that, while it may not be a medical disorder per se, it's obviously interfering with his normal life enough that's he's effectively disabled.

I sympathize with those with disabilities more than the average person on the internet. I'm not sure which infuriates me more between those who claim that mental disorders like autism don't exist and therefor sufferers don't deserve help are those who claim to have some disabilities when they obviously don't because it makes them sound cool (if I had a nickel for everytime I've seen someone with perfect social and functioning skills claim to have aspergers, I'd have enough money to buy Saturn.)

Edited by Jadefire

What helped me find a solution to insomnia(in addition to nightshift work) was working out. Alot. I lift weights 3 times a week and do martial arts 4 times a week aswell as cardio when I find the time.

Cardio(like jogging) is great for leting your thoughts wander. Just you, the road ahead and your thoughts.

I still have problems from time to time, though, but its rare now.

You should definitely see a psychiatrist. Manic episodes that characterise bipolar disorder are often misconceived as being happy one second, sad the next. This isn't what mania is however. It often occurs as frantic, uncontrollable, racing thoughts and the need to complete certain tasks or goals that may be insignificant. For many people it isn't euphoric at all but a need is felt to take part in activities that produce euphoria, like there is a pressure to be happy and poor and often dangerous decision making often results from it.

So from what you described I'm not sure if you're bipolar but I'm not a professional. If you think something is wrong you should definitely seek help though and do not self diagnose. You may have some other kind of mood disorder. Hope this was helpful :)

Edit: Also I completely empathise with people not thinking you have problems. People think that something awful has to happen to you for you to be depressed or mentally ill but you can be in an incredibly fortunate position and still be extremely unhappy. I'm still struggling to get people to understand this so I don't know how much advice I can give you there apart from being as coherent as you can in explaining what is wrong.

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a fortunate person, but I have a comfy, non-tragic life. It's really boring actually... the main reason why I think I may have some sort of depressive disorder is because I never even know why I am depressed. Everything can be going fine as usual, but then I feel horrible over nothing.

Which get's even stranger with the other half of my possible bipolar disorder. Can just be a boring average morning and I just wake up with an entirely different happy-go-lucky positive personality.

Then again I'm really trying not to self diagnose. I know though through those descriptions I probably have something serious and it is important to go get professional help. I just fear help for reasons I don't understand. I guess I just don't like to share things with people (well face to face) or I just don't want to be diagnosed with something serious and then people discriminating me or something!

Chronic depression is

I have high-functioning autism (almost identical to Aspergers but not quite), and my grandmother is bipolar; both of us are professionally diagnosed. My best friend is chronically depressed to the point that, while it may not be a medical disorder per se, it's obviously interfering with his normal life enough that's he's effectively disabled.

I sympathize with those with disabilities more than the average person on the internet. I'm not sure which infuriates me more between those who claim that mental disorders like autism don't exist and therefor sufferers don't deserve help are those who claim to have some disabilities when they obviously don't because it makes them sound cool (if I had a nickel for everytime I've seen someone with perfect social and functioning skills claim to have aspergers, I'd have enough money to buy Saturn.)

Chronic depression is definitely a serious illness/mental disorder. Just as valid as any other form of depression like bipolar disorder. That really frustrates me too. For mental disorders like depression there is actually a chemical imbalance in the brain, there is something wrong with the wiring in your head that is making every moment painful. The mental pain felt by people who are depressed is actually received by the same receptors that receive physical pain. It is very much a real illness and one that is the most common cause of deaths for people under 30.

I guess I could mention insomnia as well...

I don't see it too much as a serious issue (at least for me).

Its just a habit I picked up through my horrible sleeping patterns as a kid and through my teenage years.

I've had to get counseling about my problems with suicide/cutting but I'm not really sure if that counts as a mental disorder or not

Suicidal Depression is a disorder... at least in my eyes anyway.

I have suffered through this in the past, but I'm glad that I have passed that.

(edited)

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a fortunate person, but I have a comfy, non-tragic life. It's really boring actually... the main reason why I think I may have some sort of depressive disorder is because I never even know why I am depressed. Everything can be going fine as usual, but then I feel horrible over nothing.

Which get's even stranger with the other half of my possible bipolar disorder. Can just be a boring average morning and I just wake up with an entirely different happy-go-lucky positive personality.

Then again I'm really trying not to self diagnose. I know though through those descriptions I probably have something serious and it is important to go get professional help. I just fear help for reasons I don't understand. I guess I just don't like to share things with people (well face to face) or I just don't want to be diagnosed with something serious and then people discriminating me or something!

That's perfectly normal to feel that way if you are depressed and I understand not wanting people to know but letting it build up before getting treatment could make things impossible/unbearable for you in the future. I was so terrified and resistant to doctors and therapists and though my experience probably wasn't the best, in the end ignoring all the symptoms of depression is like ignoring a lump that could be cancer; you need to look for help and you don't have to tell everyone you know if you don't want to.

Edited by Reverie
  • Brohoof 2

There is a problem with diagnosing teens(if you are one, i dont know), the hormonal instability makes it hard for professionals to know if its a temporary hormonal issue or a genuine mental problem. Very rarely is bipolar disorder as flexible as one morning happy, next sad.

I've had to get counseling about my problems with suicide/cutting but I'm not really sure if that counts as a mental disorder or not

Cutting may or may not be a sign, often its a sign of not having a proper outlet for emotions. As for the suicide bit, It could be many things, but not necessarily a sign of mental disorder. Edited by Magnus

I guess I could mention insomnia as well...

I don't see it too much as a serious issue (at least for me).

Its just a habit I picked up through my horrible sleeping patterns as a kid and through my teenage years.

Suicidal Depression is a disorder... at least in my eyes anyway.

I have suffered through this in the past, but I'm glad that I have passed that.

That's really great news that you have passed it :) I'm not fully past it yet, I am getting better but I still have my moments but things are a lot better now than they were not even that long ago

• Brohoof 1

Depression most definitely is a serious mental disorder and is often overlooked but it is just as serious as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or ocd. I was sectioned after one of my 14 suicide attempts last year.. Don't let it get to that point, it will destroy your life! Have you spoken to a psychiatrist about going on anti-depressants or cognitive behavioural therapy?

Depression, ADHD, and I used to have SEVERE social anxiety, but I've slowly worked myself out of it a bit. Can't remember if there are any others.

Cutting may or may not be a sign, often its a sign of not having a proper outlet for emotions. As for the suicide bit, It could be many things, but not necessarily a sign of mental disorder.

If you're resorting to cutting as an outlet for emotions and feeling suicidal then there is definitely something wrong... All thoughts of suicide and self harm should be taken seriously and given the proper medical care..

Depression most definitely is a serious mental disorder and is often overlooked but it is just as serious as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or ocd. I was sectioned after one of my 14 suicide attempts last year.. Don't let it get to that point, it will destroy your life! Have you spoken to a psychiatrist about going on anti-depressants or cognitive behavioural therapy?

I'm considering going on anti-depressants i'll try talking to her about it next time I see her. Sorry but may I ask what cognitive behavioral therapy is? And stay strong by the way 14 attempts is a lot, i am here for you I have attempted before too but not that many times. Message me anytime if you want to talk

(edited)

I'm considering going on anti-depressants i'll try talking to her about it next time I see her. Sorry but may I ask what cognitive behavioral therapy is? And stay strong by the way 14 attempts is a lot, i am here for you I have attempted before too but not that many times. Message me anytime if you want to talk

It's a type of therapy that focusses on turning your negative thoughts into positive ones or stop them cycling in your head and getting rid of black and white thinking by breaking down your thought process and getting rid of ultimatums. It's generally considered to be the most helpful type of therapy for a whole array of mental disorders.

And thanks, I'm doing a lot better now and am determined to never go back to that state of mind. :)

Edited by Reverie