Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else ever been to a mental hospital?

Theshadowmaster235

Then got to the second checkpoint, and then got stopped by more security at the second check in. Got scanned, etc. then pulled over by more staff for a second baggage search, asked to open my case again, at which point I told them I've already been case searched, body scanned etc. They then nodded, and then led me away, thinking i was going to the exit, i instead got taken in a room where I spent about a hour getting another bag search. 

A second checkpoint?  I thought airport security was overbearing in the U.S., but thankfully there is only one check point.  What the heck is going on in France that requires two checkpoints?

A second checkpoint?  I thought airport security was overbearing in the U.S., but thankfully there is only one check point.  What the heck is going on in France that requires two checkpoints?

Nice madness, dem ISIS on the march again.

I've been to the hospital around 4 times due to suicidal tendencies and psychosis(which I don't agree with).  I tend to do my best to keep if I'm suicidal to myself because I hate going to the hospital.  It's in an older part of the hospital and really needs to be updated not to mention they pretty much cram everyone together regardless of the diagnosis.  The first hospital I was in was pretty nice, they had each different diagnosis on a different floor.  Depression/suicidal would be on one floor, addicts on another, etc, much nicer place than the one around me now.  The one near me has those rooms where they'd lock someone in if they were having a meltdown that might harm others or themselves, the first time I was in this particular hospital, I was in the room right next to one of the locking rooms and I could hear this one guy hitting the walls, the door and screaming throughout his time there.  Very unpleasant experience overall...

Edited by Thuja
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I have already posted, but since you change the title, I have volunteer at the hospital and due to great respect  for these patients,  they're  just like any other patients I worked with..just a bit more difficult to take care of. It's not something to brag about or something to bring attraction. 

• Brohoof 1

I have, though not in quite the same way as some folks here.

I worked for a while in a former mental hospital that has been closed and partially converted into a museum. Besides the building looking like a stereotypical "insane asylum" the museum has a number of artifacts from the old hospital in their possession, including the device that was once used to perform lobotomies. Pretty wild stuff.

I haven't, but my mother sure as hell has. She's a paranoid schizophrenic, AND a religious fanatic. Not a very good combination there. As far as I can remember, she's been admitted to a mental hospital at least four times. The most recent was four years ago. And as you could probably guess, she traumatized the shit out of me and the rest of my family when I was growing up. It's because of her that I've become prejudiced towards people with mental disorders.

Now, I'm totally aware that not all of them are bad people. Some of them acknowledge that they have these problems and are seeking help so they're not a danger to themselves or others. If I see that they're genuinely willing to do this by regularly meeting with doctors and taking their meds, then I'll have no problems with them. But if I'm not able to assess their character, I'll always have my reservations about being near them. And it doesn't help that I work in a shitty town in California where crimes are being committed by rejected patients. Sometimes, I can't tell them apart from the alcoholics and drug addicts.

• 1 month later...

I have been admitted to the adult psychiatric unit a total of three times; all for the same reasons and the same hospital each time.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I can't say that I have.

Although, I've always wanted to arrange to spend a week in one to try and experience as close I can get to what an average patient goes through in such a place. As to why. It's to do with some of my writing. Other peoples accounts are one thing, but there is something to be said for experience. But the staff would have more important things to do. It would be wrong of me to intrude on their time when said time can be spent looking after those that need it. I've always wanted to do something similar along the lines of a mock arrest and to be held in custody at a police station. But once again, professionals have better things to be doing than entertaining my needs for reference material to assist with writing.

• Brohoof 2

30 minutes ago, Bas said:

I don't mean to be offensive, but you shouldn't treat it differently than any other physician. Not going there when it is necessary is like not getting your broken leg fixed.

I think you misunderstood my post, bud. :P

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...