Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Rainbow Power still be a thing in season 5?

Forlong

44 users have voted

1. 1. Should Rainbow Power be in season 5?

• Of course
    • Only if they fix those awful designs!
    • If they rework it to be less OP
    • All of the above
    • Insert Spike screaming "NO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!" here

Less sparkles.  That's a start.

Then how about we use some colors that actually go with the character's natural color scheme.

• Rainbow Dash is fine.
  • Applejack is okay, but would look better with ultramarine or liberty instead of pink.
  • Rarity should have resolution blue and goldenrod.
  • Pinkie would look much better with avocado, melon, and cyber yellow.
  • Fluttershy is a little tough; but vivid violet, lavender, and Islamic green should do.
  • Twilight could use munshell instead of white.

Satisfied?

So all that, with their coat colors as normal?

Perhaps I should've clarified my stance. For you see, the golden rule of designing a good Super form that wows everybody is this: change their coat colors or else. As you can see with Super Dash in my sig below.

Oh, and btw, saying that MLP is not like Sonic/DBZ in opposition against Super Dash or Rainbow Power is, quite plainly, a poor reason, IMO. Especially when the season 4 finale goes against that reason in the first place.

Now that Twilight knows that her purpose as Princess of Friendship is to spread the magic of friendship around, I expect the mane six will do in season 5 what we had hoped they would do in season 4 and travel around. I don't think the rainbow power will play a huge role, since it's more useful as a weapon, and the show traditionally shows characters dealing with problems that do not require epic battles to solve. But I do think that they will retain the power and use it here and there when it's needed. If they're going to be travelling all over Equestria and maybe even beyond, then the challenges and villains they face may require more strength to defeat. So if they need to use the rainbow power more in season 5, maybe it won't feel like Deus Ex Machina because it will just be on par with the power level of the evil they face.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly kind of like the new designs, but Rarity's hair... How could there be so much hair? where is it even coming from??

Then again, i'm fine as long as it isn't used as a "Failsafe" mechanism.

HOWEVER... I suspect that there might be stronger villains since the rainbow powers are so powerful.

I'm fine with seeing it in season 05, I'm not all that fussed about that kind of thing.

A lot of people still may not understand what exactly the Rainbow Powers are.

They are the new Elements of Harmony, it's the Mane 6's new way of defending Equestria. That's what I've been lead to believe based on what we seen from the finale. ^^

• Brohoof 1

So all that, with their coat colors as normal?

Perhaps I should've clarified my stance. For you see, the golden rule of designing a good Super form that wows everybody is this: change their coat colors or else. As you can see with Super Dash in my sig below.

Oh, and btw, saying that MLP is not like Sonic/DBZ in opposition against Super Dash or Rainbow Power is, quite plainly, a poor reason, IMO. Especially when the season 4 finale goes against that reason in the first place.

I was referring to the additional colors.  What I was getting at is that the colors they chose were rather poor.  Each of the mane six should have had a complimentary color and the other colors should have been less luminescent.  All the colors are the same shade, so they just bleed together.  It's a mess.

Notice how the new color in Rainbow's wings pop out?  This is because her coat is noticeably lighter than the new colors.  And the colors match her mane.  This is smart design.  The rest...not so much.

rainbow_power_rainbow_dash_by_benybing-d

I think they'll probably be like the new Elements of Harmony, so we'll probably have to get used to seeing them, which is okay for a moment a season even if they aren't the best looking forms ever. If they introduced an enemy force that could counter it though, like, say, a group of villains harnessing their own sort of power of 'friendship', maybe the Rainbow Power wouldn't be as powerful against that which could be a way to supress it and make them actually have to fight in those forms in some way instead of it just being a usual cure-all- just an idea of something I want to see done with it anyway. :lol:

Not sure.

Didn't it go back into the Box and then it buried itself to grow the Hall of Friendship? Wouldn't that make it hard to use again?

Also, I got this feeling Hasbro will come up with another variant in due time and Rainbow Ponies will no longer be needed.

Remember, their Crystal Forms were NEVER seen/used again after Part 2 of "The Crystal Empire", and that may be the case here.

Really, with the Rainbow Power forms, the only thing left for the writers to do is to create a new villain whose power-levels match the Rainbow Power.  And, in order to do that, he/she would need to hail from an alternate dimension or planet where the magic is enough to match even the Rainbow Power, and can even blow-up entire planets a la the Death Star and the majority of DBZ villains.

In other words, Spectacle Creep: 

And, according to that video I posted, when you resort to increasing the stakes to the breaking point, you run out of ideas on what to do with your story and resort to cheap, unoriginal tactics to keep the story going.  Dragon Ball Z suffered from that problem, as it was marred by long, draggy, repetitive fights that lasted too many chapters/episodes, and supporting characters getting stuffed in the refrigerator over and over and over and over again.

But, if I were to find some good in the Rainbow Power, it's that at the very least, it made Twilight's friends relevant again, right after that stupid fight scene between Twilight and Tirek, that tossed aside all notions of friendship between Twilight and her friends, for the sake of over-the-top violence and spectacle.

Really, with the Rainbow Power forms, the only thing left for the writers to do is to create a new villain whose power-levels match the Rainbow Power.  And, in order to do that, he/she would need to hail from an alternate dimension or planet where the magic is enough to match even the Rainbow Power, and can even blow-up entire planets a la the Death Star and the majority of DBZ villains.

In other words, Spectacle Creep: 

And, according to that video I posted, when you resort to increasing the stakes to the breaking point, you run out of ideas on what to do with your story and resort to cheap, unoriginal tactics to keep the story going.  Dragon Ball Z suffered from that problem, as it was marred by long, draggy, repetitive fights that lasted too many chapters/episodes, and supporting characters getting stuffed in the refrigerator over and over and over and over again.

But, if I were to find some good in the Rainbow Power, it's that at the very least, it made Twilight's friends relevant again, right after that stupid fight scene between Twilight and Tirek, that tossed aside all notions of friendship between Twilight and her friends, for the sake of over-the-top violence and spectacle.

So, say if Rainbow Dash recieved all of the Rainbow Power from her friends and becomes what you see in my sig to combat this more powerful antagonist... Would it still suffer, IYO?

'Cause it really wouldn't if season 5 turns out to be the final season. You never know. =/

I think rainbow power is a great thing to have in season five, but I'm not sure if it will return. It was locked inside the box which became a seed for Twilight's new crystal tree. Hopefully there will be an explanation in the beginning of season five as to what happened to it.

(edited)

My main issue with rainbow powers over EoH (aside from the designs) is that I prefer the super power to be an item which at times can't be accessible. Like in Wedding in Canterlot, a different solution had to be found because the mane 6 couldn't reach the elements, this allowed for different story telling.

If the rainbow powers are always inside of them, then it will lead to every big bad simply being blown away by the rainbow.

Edited by Macklin

Yeah, I think it'd be a good idea.

Just flesh them out, try to nerf it somehow so we don't keep going 'why didn't they just use it,' like we did with the elements, and please, PLEASE, for the love of Luna, tone down the designs!

Well if they keep it being "OP" maybe we can expect some stronger villains which would probably mean more DBZ fight scenes and i am fine with that! but change those designs they are terrible soz hasbro really let me down on that one. needs to be more ah here much better!

tumblr_mhehboFBA11rs9lxpo1_500.jpg

(edited)

I my personal opinion, they should go away and never come back. It makes no sense why they would trade the ''Elements of Harmony'' for a power that is basically incidental with the addition of rainbow flare over their bodies. the elements might have been dingy trinkets, but atleast they complimented the Mane 6, not only that, them being jewelry, gave them a weakness, as it meant that the Mane 6 might be put in a situation where they can't get to the elements, aka, The Crystal Empire, and A Canterlot Wedding. Now if a bad guy rears their ugly head, the Mane 6 will just go supersayian and one hit K.O. them, and it won't matter where they are or what they are doing.  

Edited by LordDiscord

• 2 months later...

For people who said that Rainbow Power got burred with the box, that is debatable. When the power was put back into the box, they only lost their glow, but not their forms. Rainbow Power wore off when they got to Twilight's castle, Whether they still had magic after their glow disappeared is unknown. However, their hair still moved in the air and they were teleported to the new castle, but the castle teleportation could be Twilight's magic. But they could always get the glow back from the Tree of Harmony.

• 1 month later...