Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FiM disappearing from Netflix - Ongoing discussion

SaburoDaimando

But doesn't that thing have viruses on it?

I don't wanna mess up my new gaming PC.

I sure hope not :o My siblings and I have been using it for years without any trouble. But I did just do a bit of searching, and it sounds like some people have had trouble with it popping up ads and stuff, but also in conjunction with it being sneakily installed along with other things, so maybe there's a bad version of it, or it wasn't even DownloadHelper causing the problems, but some other thing installed by the same trojan. And my Avast antivirus says downloadhelper.net is safe, which is where I got it. After installing, it's just a grayed out icon up in the firefox navigation bar, and it un-grays if you're watching a video that it can save. Never had it push any ads at me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame because Netflix is my main way of watching the show. My family got rid of cable over two years ago and now we just use streaming services. Hopefully everything gets worked out and they decide to keep it on Netflix.

Did I miss something? Why are we still discussing this? I was under the impression Netflix stated they weren't actually getting rid of the series after all. Did something change? Did Netflix change their mind?

Yes, something changed. Hasbro decided that they are going to pull their shows from Netflix in support of other digital distributors. So ponies leaving Netflix is now a confirmed fact.  :(

Yes, something changed. Hasbro decided that they are going to pull their shows from Netflix in support of other digital distributors. So ponies leaving Netflix is now a confirmed fact.  :(

What are these Digital Distributors that they are going to?

Wow! This is very unfortunate. The last I had heard about this was Netflix stating their desire to renew it, This really, really sucks as It is the most accessible way for people to see the show. I have all the official Home Video media but it's nice for convenience to be able to watch an episode on the go whereever I want and in HD.

• Brohoof 1

Mmmmmmmm this won't stick.

Stuff like this has happened with Hasbro and Netflix in the past. When Hasbro says "We're going to stop our deal with Netflix" you can bet your ass Netflix will do whatever it takes to keep MLP on there. I know a lot of Netflix users who have Netflix almost solely for MLP. Allowing Hasbro to remove it would be idiotic of them. Netflix won't let Hasbro take it off. It didn't happen the previous times, and it won't happen this time either.

Welcome neon sparkleflutter!

hope you enjoy it here. Anyway...

Wow! This is very unfortunate. The last I had heard about this was Netflix stating their desire to renew it, This really, really sucks as It is the most accessible way for people to see the show. I have all the official Home Video media but it's nice for convenience to be able to watch an episode on the go whereever I want and in HD.

it's very unfortunate. Especially for things like phone/tablet viewing as I don't have room for 4 seasons of mop on my phone but enough room for a single streaming app. :/ sad sad day

Many people I know don't even have The Hu.. I mean Discovery Family, so Netflix is really the only convenient way to see the series and view it in chronological order. I don't even have DF in HD so until Netflix picked it up I was stuck watching it in pretty crappy quality as the SD feed of that channel from my satellite is not great. Not everyone has the money or space to collect the DVDs, so many potential fans will missing out on a truly great show.

Add me to the list of "Not surprised" folks.  Netflix's business model is partly to blame, as they run a pretty tight ship and have to cycle their licensees periodically to keep their costs down.  But Hasbro, being the money hog that it is, has the balls and the chutzpah to dictate their licenses to whomever they like.  Want more money?  Take your show to someone who's willing to pay more.  Make services like Netflix beg.

We're probably going to keep our subscription to Netflix anyway, since there are a lot of other good shows on there that they haven't said anything about pulling yet.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if MLP:FiM shows up on Amazon Prime Video at some point (probably in the non-Prime section where you have to buy seasons for twice as much as it would cost to buy them on DVD :P).

• Brohoof 1

But I also wouldn't be surprised if MLP:FiM shows up on Amazon Prime Video at some point (probably in the non-Prime section where you have to buy seasons for twice as much as it would cost to buy them on DVD :P).

Amazon already sells the digital copy of all the seasons.  In HD, they cost $44.99, $34.99, $29.99, and $49.99 for season 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively.

Amazon already sells the digital copy of all the seasons.  In HD, they cost $44.99, $34.99, $29.99, and $49.99 for season 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively.

Just goes to show how seldomly I go looking for that sort of thing on Amazon.  And yeowch!

Then again, I can't say I'm too surprised by those prices - if Amazon can sell an 8-episode season of "Yes Prime Minister" (a very good but relatively low-budget brit-com) for $25, asking $50 for a season of a kid's show shouldn't be surprising in the least.

Just goes to show how seldomly I go looking for that sort of thing on Amazon.  And yeowch!

Then again, I can't say I'm too surprised by those prices - if Amazon can sell an 8-episode season of "Yes Prime Minister" (a very good but relatively low-budget brit-com) for $25, asking $50 for a season of a kid's show shouldn't be surprising in the least.

I suppose it is possible for FiM to show up on Amazon Prime, being a competitor to Netflix and all.  Still, if it weren't for FiM on Netflix, I might never have watched the show in the first place.