Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I watch Equestria Girls?

StarSwirlTheBearded

The prequel comic gives somewhat an answer which it shows Sunset Shimmer reading into forbidden magic material. This would be the only likely answer for the transformation and mind control. Only other possible answer to SS knowing about the crown is that she has someway of scrying the other side since she was trained in magic and could have the knowledge to access her magic in some limited way in the people world.

The movie just doesn't do its homework well.

But does scrying magic even exist in Equestria? Does she have scrying powers? Cuz I never got the indication and it was never said or implied, so if we use that as justification it goes into a category I call "making up baseless stuff to justify plot holes" which I don't agree with because I'm of the view that if the writer doesn't outright say or imply that something in his or her story is possible, I assume it's not.

I edited my post with more explanations into my question, but even then, I get the feeling that Meghan never actually thought that deeply into it.....

You know, we've kind of made a lot of spoilers for a thread intended for people who are still thinking about seeing the movie.

@@Sir Wulfington I'll concede that the plot was very far from air tight. For the purposes of this movie though, I don't think it really needed to be, and the movie and the script make up for it in other places. 

This was a story being told in very broad strokes. I think that's where "it's for children" comes into play. When you're making a story for children, it doesn't have to be bad, but you can't really afford to be subtle.

Sorry I put my post into spoiler tags. And I'm of the opinion that there's never an excuse for plot holes, even if the story itself is interesting, if it's there, and it affects the plot in a serious manner, my belief in the story is shattered and I lose all investment and care for it. Writers should make sure their stories are air tight, we shouldn't give them a free pass for failing to do so. It encourages mediocrity.

Are you saying you couldn't understand it? I found it to be coherent, and entertaining with a well written appealing story.

Well the things I listed earlier in this thread (and I think there's more I'm forgetting), tho I may or may not have found a way to justify some of them as explained in the edit of my previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh goodness, I know this is an old topic, I'm sorry! ^^"

However, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the matter.

Listen, I give the same advice to my gaming buddies about whether they should play a certain game or not. The best kind of advice you can get on this question is to not listen to others, respectively of course. ^^

No matter what kind of question you ask, people will tell you good, and people will tell you bad. 'Tis how it is in every community.

Do what you want to do, if you don't want to watch Equestria Girls, that's cool. If you do, then watch it. Form your own opinion on it without hearing negative opinions or spoilers from others, that's what I think you should do. ^^

Just a friendly piece of advice, I hope this helps, friend! ^^ (\

As a relatively new brony that hasn't even caught up to the newest episode, I have been somewhat in the dark about Equestria Girls.  I've heard that some people hated it, and others liked it.  To me, it looks kind of... stupid.  As a result, I've decided not to watch it, but now I'm wondering if there's any important reason to watch it.  Any advice?

I apologize if this has already been posted or if this should be in another place, because I have a feeling that I'm not the first to wonder this.

Well, if you wanna watch it for the sake of continuity, don't do it, season 4 has not been affected by EQ at all. If you're too curious, watch it