Should we conform to society?

Bendy

Should we conform to society?   

46 users have voted

1. 1. Should we conform to society?

• No
    • Yes

(edited)

Kind of a silly question. Considering where I asking it...

But should we conform to society?  

As in be what is so called 'normal' and not be a Brony. I don't think so, because quite frankly I find society boring, if I conformed to society I would be watching some lame soap opera. 

So I say no, despite the 'social issues' that comes with being a Brony with rabid anti Bronies.    

Edited by Rush

This is really a topic that has multiple answers, it all depends on the person. I personally keep my "broniness" a secret from most people i know, due to the fact that i know they wouldnt accept it, and probably change how they see me. For some that probably doesnt matter, but for me its something extrememly important. I don't like unnecessary drama, so i stay out of peoples way, and try to draw so much attention to myself. I've conformed all of my high-school career(Graduation is this weekend!), because of how bronies are treated at my school, its horrid. I conformed to protect myself, hiding away within the higher ups at my school (popular kids/preps/top10% and what not) that way i wouldnt have to worry any of my family members about me being picked on or im not fitting in. As easy as this made high school for me, it really took a toll on my mind, basically losing myself in everything. I wouldnt recommend conforming, not in the slightest. As scared as i was for people trying to accept me, i basically shut all the potential people who have would accepted me for those i hid away with. As a good friend of mine once told me, "Do you", these two words alone brought so many tears to my eyes, i shouldnt have cared about what others thought, i should have just done "me". But all thats too late now haha, im sure to express more of myself in college, where there are clubs and stuff. Just dont do what i did. Its not fun, and you miss out in alot.

(edited)

I think that us bronies should slink back into the recesses of the internet.

Not disappear, or change our Ways. Maybe just try and limit our exposure.

Documentaries? We put and end to those, since we really don't need them since being a brony isn't THAT weird we need to be thrust in the publication eye. Cons? Do we really need 30-something individual brony conventions littered about? Not really. A few would do just fine in their place.

Edited by Dattebayo

This is really a topic that has multiple answers, it all depends on the person. I personally keep my "broniness" a secret from most people i know, due to the fact that i know they wouldnt accept it, and probably change how they see me. For some that probably doesnt matter, but for me its something extrememly important. I don't like unnecessary drama, so i stay out of peoples way, and try to draw so much attention to myself. I've conformed all of my high-school career(Graduation is this weekend!), because of how bronies are treated at my school, its horrid. I conformed to protect myself, hiding away within the higher ups at my school (popular kids/preps/top10% and what not) that way i wouldnt have to worry any of my family members about me being picked on or im not fitting in. As easy as this made high school for me, it really took a toll on my mind, basically losing myself in everything. I wouldnt recommend conforming, not in the slightest. As scared as i was for people trying to accept me, i basically shut all the potential people who have would accepted me for those i hid away with. As a good friend of mine once told me, "Do you", these two words alone brought so many tears to my eyes, i shouldnt have cared about what others thought, i should have just done "me". But all thats too late now haha, im sure to express more of myself in college, where there are clubs and stuff. Just dont do what i did. Its not fun, and you miss out in alot.

This thread isn't about closet Bronies nor rapid Bronies that go around shouting they are a Brony.

Even if there weren't six pony figures gathered on my entertainment center I still wouldn't be what some might call "normal."  And it's not like being a Brony is synonymous with being an axe murderer or consuming human flesh or something lol.  Brony people need not conform.  In the case of MLP, it's a source of entertainment.  What television show(s) I watch, what video games I play, and things such as these should not be determined by others and what THEY deem to be acceptable.  Went through that peer pressure crap in high school (was mocked for the music that I actually liked), and I want nothing more to do with it (treating school-based peer pressure as a microcosm for societal pressure blah blah words go here).  Going back to the axe thing: if I roamed about killing people with an axe (recreationally) I'd understand people maybe taking issue with it.  But I just like animated ponies - big whoop.

• Brohoof 2

I will be honestly suprised if there will be even one "yes" vote. Conformism is something I will never approve of, because society has ridiculous "norms" at least in Poland.

Everyone has right to be whoever he wants to be and I see no point in ending up with unhappy life just so that You make society happy and You will be another oridinary guy who just does what society expects him to do. I saw society blaming people for everything. Not even being a brony or some kind of metalhead. They can even blame You here if You're rich, they can do same if You're poor and can't even afford decent apartment. They can blame You if You work (especially when they are unemployed) and they will blame You too if You actually don't have work. 

Then there are things like music, interests. Why should I pretend to like what society expects me to like? Don't we all have our hobbies? Why should I care that society wants me to just work and have no life (because this is what is expected from people here sometimes >< ) or why should I care that society thinks bad of bronies? In the end conformism is accepting judgemental nature of society - and judgementalism is something I will never stand for, no matter how many and how important people do it. 

It even goes to the point that society just has to judge You over who You are in relationship with. And I don't talk about homosexuals etc. only. My friend recently broke up with her boyfriend who cheated on her with other girl and now she is called a "wh***"  because she has new boyfriend. And this boyfriend too is called names because "she obviously cheated on that guy with him". So what should she do? Break up with new boyfriend, because society has problem with that? Maybe she should really become prostitute and make nearest highway her "workplace"? Then society will be very happy. Becaue in the end "they knew it is who she is!" 

Ehh, enough, in the end- NO. I will never stand for conformism, society we live in is extremely flawed and I've proven it several times to some people that I won't just follow it blindly. It led me to losing few friends in past, but if someone is not respectful of my views on the world and refuses to give me good reason to change them, then I don't really regret losing such "friend". 

• Brohoof 1

Conform to society? Well, I'm not going to vote on that one, because it can be important to both conform, and to be deviant.

it depends on the situation really. Sometimes it's very important to conform to the rules at times, sometimes the social norm has been put in place for a very good reason!  ;)

Though, there would be no progress or revolution if nobody deviated from the norm. 

I guess a bit of both is healthy, I myself am rather on the deviant side!  :umad:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hell no! I'm going to do, wear and say what I want. If you don't like it, then feel free to look away. I'm not changing just to blend in with the crowd.

Edited by Foxx

No. because if everyone conformed to the "norms" of society, nothing would change, for either good or bad. We'd still have segrigration and slavery going on in the west if people had conformed to the norms of the time..

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Put it this way; Liking a kid's show is better then doing meth. At least you don't do meth. Ha.

If everyone was the same, there'd be nothing interesting to do or talk about.

Society really doesn't care that you like kid's shows. :'3

Edited by SaffronSunset

Normal? I have heard about this normal in the legends of Societys standards... I WILL NEVER succumb to this weakness that humans call Normal... I don't even get people that feel like they need this to keep on living. I just keep going at my own pace *rolls eyes* :ph34r:

No way! I am who I am, and nothing will change that.

Took the words right out of my mouth, :lol:.  However, I too will say no. I am happy with who I am and nothing will change it, :)

(edited)

Having been bullied for years for not fitting in with other kids' status quo (I was introverted/awkward, studious, and had interests which weren't sports/violent shows/anything which they deemed 'cool'), I've grown up proud of my ability to endure without feeling the need to conform nor would I expect anyone to conform to my own expectations. We are all different, might as well accept/embrace our differences and the differences of others (provided differences are not harmful in any way to others/nature/earth)  :D

Edited by Guest

To a certain extent, you want to conform. Minimum standards such as bathing daily, or speaking with an 'inside voice' are useful life skills. Basically... manners. Everyone should aspire to have good manners. 

But beyond maintaining the minimum standards required for other people to willingly interact with you, no. I don't think conforming is a good thing when it's at odds with your real personality. And to be honest, it's becoming more accepted in todays society to have unique, non-stereotypical hobbies. People are becoming less judgemental. 'Society' is evolving, precisely because people are less willing to conform. This is a great thing! The nature of society is one of constant change, and it's the people pushing at the boundaries who shape it moving forward.

Besides, I believe that everyone should be free to live however they like, as long as it doesn't cause potential harm to anyone else.

• Brohoof 1

'Normal'? Who'd want to be that? Sounds boring, imho.

Does this "society" harm you and your fellow?  Does it opress and constrict? Can a normalized lifestyle be maintained in it? Nope.

Does this "society" benefit you and others? Does it encourage individuality in a harmless and beneficial way? Yes.

Unfortunately, the latter does not exist.

• Brohoof 1

Heck no!

I've struggled with feeling "weird" or the "odd one out" for liking the things I like (especially MLP), but about a month or so (when I became a true Pegasister) I decided that I was going to be different. I wasn't going to care what society thought of me (a fourteen year old girl watching neon colored ponies every day!), but was going to like what I like... and not be ashamed of it. :) This isn't to say that I am not going to do things that a normal human being SHOULD do (such as what Kay mentioned about making sure to take care of your personal hygiene and manners), but if we are talking about my actual personal interests - then yeah, I'm not gonna be ashamed of it.

And I will be VERY surprised if anyone chooses "yes" on this poll. And I mean VERY.

• Brohoof 1