Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Hasbro C&D the entire fandom?

RainbowPastel

To be a brony is to like the show and acknowledge that you are, in fact, a brony. All the other stuff is superfluous and not an inherent part of the definiton of a brony, more of a byproduct.

I think that's a massive discredit to brony artists. Being an artist is not a prerequisite for participating in this fandom, sure, but none can justifiably claim that the creative aspect of the fandom really hasn't been a monumental factor in shaping bronydom as a subculture in its own right. It can't be superfluous if it's what has anchored no insignificant number of people to this fandom in the first place.

I honestly doubt hasbro will C&D the whole fandom, I'm pretty sure they realize how important the fandom is to the shows sucess, without us the show would not be nearly as successful, and that means less money for them, and I'm pretty sure no company wants to lose money.

There is some fan content that has been C&D before, but it's just that specifically, not like the whole set of content in that field or anything.

So far hasbro has been ok with most fan content, and that is good. Hopefully they continue with such actions.

I think that's a massive discredit to brony artists. Being an artist is not a prerequisite for participating in this fandom, sure, but none can justifiably claim that the creative aspect of the fandom really hasn't been a monumental factor in shaping bronydom as a subculture in its own right. It can't be superfluous if it's what has anchored no insignificant number of people to this fandom in the first place.

That wasn't my intention. Topic creator said "will it be illegal to be a brony" and that's what I was specifically responding too. I never meant to say that the artists weren't a big part of it just that they can't make being a brony illegal.

(edited)

Okay time to throw a bucket of cold water on this panic party. Yes Hasbro has C&D'd stuff and there may be some projects in the future that get C&D'd and it sucks that this happens but much of this is because of the messed up ways that copyright/patent laws work. Legally Hasbro has to meet certain minimum requirements to show they are protecting their patent otherwise they lose it, but Hasbro also knows that a lot of fanworks are good free advertizing for them.

Because of this Hasbro has been much more lenient of fanworks than other companies who have aggressively gone after every fanwork they could possibly find, they allow most fanworks to exist while only going after the ones that directly threaten their patent. If you are going to be angry at someone than be angry at these companies who buy off these policies and pass these ridiculous laws take a huge crap on thei 1st amendment and give big corporations and unfair advantage. Getting mad at Hasbro is not going to change anything, what will is changing these laws which will not be easy but is something that needs to be done.

Hasbro is never going to go so far as to bar all fanworks, even if they wanted to they couldn't possibly do that. The sheer amount of costs of lawyers, subpeonas and other expenses will bog them so far down that it could ruin them.

Thank you for appropriate ascribing blame. That was a breath of fresh air. Whenever I hear a fit of rage thrown at Hasbro or You Tube, I actually pity these corporations.

My view is that Patent Trolls, NPE's, and of course the whole Viacom fiasco are the reason there are so many Cobtent ID and monetization issues. This Week In Law covers copyright / trademark / and content freedom constantly. The DMCA Safe Harbor rule only applies if YouTube has a mechanism for IP owners to take down content.

Also, you like a Brony Artist? Support them directly!

Edited by Jeric

Anyone remember the HON incident, where Cafe HON decided to 'trademark/copyright' the word 'hon?'

It was a stupid idea because so many people used 'hon' in so many applications (e.g. gift cards, common speech). In the end, they essentially gave up the copyright/trademark because of the outrage of the people and because of the stupidity of trademarking something that existed before they did.

Same would go for the term 'brony.' Hasbro, Inc. did not invent the term. The world did, so taking ownership of a term you did not invent would be again dumb.

Regarding C&D..... You shouldn't run into much of a problem if you have Hasbro, Inc's permission before you try to essentially photocopy their characters to a T and make a video with your idea.

I don't think we have to worry about.After all,it seems it applies just to Youtube.Hence,on Dailymotion you can find any episodes,if the rumor could be true I'm pretty sure it could effect every single website

And I'm pretty sure you can't own a person.And well,for being a brony to become illegal there should be a law pass.And I'm pretty sure Hasbro isn't stupid enough,because if that become illegal....yeah,one of their "main" things will have no fans(useless you heck the police  :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...

It seems I've now got a copyright claim from Hasbro on one of my Mo' Ponies videos. This is just a series where I play fan made games! I know it isn't quite like the C&Ds bigger channels by more well known Bronies are getting, but still.

I don't think so. That's like some other company (like... whoever runs Doctor Who. LOL I dunno) taking down all fanart and stuff. I would think Hasbro would LIKE all the attention and fanart (etc) MLP is getting - that helps boost their popularity I would think. So I don't think we have too much to worry about, as they've left us alone pretty much anyways (besides a few things). ^^

I'll just leave this here:

They know better than anyone on this site that if they lose the bronies, they significantly cut down their profits and watchers by more than 60%. They need us or they lose money, and that's the language corporations like them understand. So that's why they took the intense and adventurous approach and outright stated on the pilot for season 4 that twilight won't become a Mary Sue. That's why they didn't get rid of derpy. That's why the show continues to try and appeal to both us, and the original targeted demographic.

Because they need us, and with that in mind, they take every, single, complaint into account, and try and find a middle ground.

However, they are still a corporation. Quite honestly, I see all of this as a huge chess game, or a love hate relationship. The reason why they aren't raining flaming apples on top of us (and they can, at any time) is because, despite them wanting absolutely nothing to do with us, they need our support to keep the show alive. So they need to play their pieces right. Take out the ones that are trying to overstep their boundaries so that there isn't someone else harvesting our wallets for MLP content or rising beyond fan art. Fan work and such won't be touched, as they are relatively obscure, and away from the prying eyes of the original demographic. But if something like jananimations comes up, and it's an intense of a hit enough to be seen by someone else BESIDES us, they have to take 'legal' action. Because we all know what happened when us bronies were put into the spotlight.

Do you see what I am getting at here? They may be angering us, but it is for our own good. If the brony fandom gets spotted by the original demographic in its fullest, hasbro will have no choice but to obliterate us from the face of the earth and leave no survivors.

They are trying to PROTECT us. Not destroy us. If they wanted to destroy us, they would have done so by now.

But there is one thing I still fear. I fear that this will share the same fate as youtube: once they have enough money from us to keep the show running for the amount of seasons that they want to, they will crush us like ants underneath their heels, seeing us as a means to an end and nothing more.

• Brohoof 2

I'll just leave this here:

They know better than anyone on this site that if they lose the bronies, they significantly cut down their profits and watchers by more than 60%. They need us or they lose money, and that's the language corporations like them understand. So that's why they took the intense and adventurous approach and outright stated on the pilot for season 4 that twilight won't become a Mary Sue. That's why they didn't get rid of derpy. That's why the show continues to try and appeal to both us, and the original targeted demographic.

Because they need us, and with that in mind, they take every, single, complaint into account, and try and find a middle ground.

However, they are still a corporation. Quite honestly, I see all of this as a huge chess game, or a love hate relationship. The reason why they aren't raining flaming apples on top of us (and they can, at any time) is because, despite them wanting absolutely nothing to do with us, they need our support to keep the show alive. So they need to play their pieces right. Take out the ones that are trying to overstep their boundaries so that there isn't someone else harvesting our wallets for MLP content or rising beyond fan art. Fan work and such won't be touched, as they are relatively obscure, and away from the prying eyes of the original demographic. But if something like jananimations comes up, and it's an intense of a hit enough to be seen by someone else BESIDES us, they have to take 'legal' action. Because we all know what happened when us bronies were put into the spotlight.

Do you see what I am getting at here? They may be angering us, but it is for our own good. If the brony fandom gets spotted by the original demographic in its fullest, hasbro will have no choice but to obliterate us from the face of the earth and leave no survivors.

They are trying to PROTECT us. Not destroy us. If they wanted to destroy us, they would have done so by now.

But there is one thing I still fear. I fear that this will share the same fate as youtube: once they have enough money from us to keep the show running for the amount of seasons that they want to, they will crush us like ants underneath their heels, seeing us as a means to an end and nothing more.

This....is my thoughts..

Hasbro hates us so much, but they need us for sales.

We hate Hasbro, but we need them for our ponies.

Personally I say they are trying to make sure the fans don't get big enough to threaten the actual show in ways.

Who actually will watch the show on TV when YouTube has it? Exactly most of you won't.

(edited)

This....is my thoughts..

Personally I say they are trying to make sure the fans don't get big enough to threaten the actual show in ways.

Who actually will watch the show on TV when YouTube has it? Exactly most of you won't.

post-4033-0-63780100-1404160007.jpg

Those were your actual thoughts? I'm glad I was so accurate.

Edited by Steel Thunder

i think hasbro isnt being a bro

yes they will take some things down it is bound to happen 

but i dont think they could claim the term brony or take down too much fan art 

we kinda are the reason they make money

RIP Friendship Is Witchcraft 

This....is my thoughts..

I wouldn't say Hasbro hates us, they don't love us and aren't exactly motivated to do the stuff they do out of the goodness of their hearts but I will bet once Hasbro execs saw how G4 became the most successful MLP generation not only since G1 but of all time I will be they became quite happy that the brony fandom happened. A lot of bronies though do hate Hasbro some of it because of the C&D's and some of it becasue of certain descisions they have made about the franchise that are a bit questionable.

I may not know A-Jack about law, but I do know that you're fine, unless you're not giving credit to Hasbro, trying to make people think your content is part of the official canon, making something that they wouldn't approve of, or straight-up stealing from them. As long as you play by the rules, you'll be just fine.

RIP Friendship Is Witchcraft

Wait, is FiW really gone? Huh, next thing you know, they're killing off a certain group of bronies that may or may not be the most controversial part of the fandom? But I doubt they can do that, right? Right?
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

If they were going to, wouldn't you think that they already would of.. Plus think of how much money it'd take to have people monitor YouTube alone to find all the videos that weren't already blocked ECT. just don't worry about it. I know people will argue, "I like to talk about this stuff" But where does that really get you?

Edited by Tyler95

(edited)

This....is my thoughts..

I highly doubt that that many bronies hate Hasbro or vice-versa. Although it would make sense if they were trying to keep the fandom from growing to big. If the community of bronies gets too big and has too big an influence, It'll probably end up like shit. I'm just saying........

If they were going to, wouldn't you think that they already would of.. Plus think of how much money it'd take to have people monitor YouTube alone to find all the videos that weren't already blocked ECT. just don't worry about it. I know people will argue, "I like to talk about this stuff" But where does that really get you?

Oh, I'm not one of them myself, but they would probably go ape-shit if Hasbro was like "Yeah, we're gonna put a stop to it right now." I don't want to have to see that all over the Internet. No offense to anyone who is a clopper.

Meh. I just use Netflix. The only time I actually watch it on TV is when it's a new episode, or I'm bored and it just so happens to be on. Edited by Shenron00