Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Metal Thread

Crispy

How old was I? 12 (around '09). 

Crispy, I'm 15. 

I keep forgetting how goddamn young some of you guys are.  

I started listening to the really, really heavy shit around 13, but I was passively listening to metal my entire life.  My dad's a younger guy for how old I am (he's 47, I'm 26, so you can do the math.), I grew up on a steady diet of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Gang Green, Slayer, Bolt Thrower, Marauder... but I also listened to a lot of the 80's radio rock, like Van Halen and such. 

I keep forgetting how goddamn young some of you guys are.   

There's a reason I don't usually give my age out on the internet. People generally assume I'm around 18-20 years old, so I usually just let 'em think what they wish. Younger age generally creates a superiority complex in the mind of anyone older than you if you're a teenager~

I started listening to the really, really heavy shit around 13, but I was passively listening to metal my entire life.  My dad's a younger guy for how old I am (he's 47, I'm 26, so you can do the math.), I grew up on a steady diet of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Gang Green, Slayer, Bolt Thrower, Marauder... but I also listened to a lot of the 80's radio rock, like Van Halen and such. 

Well, I'd always been around metal bands like Led Zepplin, Metallica, Slayer, Maiden, (somehow) Behemoth, etc. I think that the last one was a pretty big contributer as to why I wasn't appalled to metallic things like most people out there.

'Cause I feel like it.

• Brohoof 1

Younger age generally creates a superiority complex in the mind of anyone older than you if you're a teenager~

I tend to find that reversed here.  Post anything softer than say, Motorhead, and someone's gonna say something.  Which is pretty much a lot of what I grew up on.

• Brohoof 1

I tend to find that reversed here.  Post anything softer than say, Motorhead, and someone's gonna say something.  Which is pretty much a lot of what I grew up on.

*Says something*

Eh, I meant on the internet in general. This thread, really nobody gives a flying fuck which I like because you know, bonding and metal and stuff.

Ride the Lightning was a solid record of my childhood.

• Brohoof 3

I noticed that we were discussing our first bands before, and my first two albums I had listened to were ones that were hanging around in my dad's CD collection that he didn't listen to anymore. I think I was about 10 and these were the two albums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-fNH8zl2iE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6jb00PIt8

• Brohoof 2

They have a new one? I know what will kickstart my metal for the night, then. I quite liked Miasma and Ritual, so hopefully this kicks some ass.

Dude, Ritual is my JAM. Seriously though, good album. I didn't even know they had a new album in the making either.

I dunno, it just seems like with this album, they've gotten a lot more comfortable with multi-layering guitars, and distinguishing leads from rhythm. Which is really refreshing, considering the vast amount of bands that have both (or three) guitarists all playing the exact same thing.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Never said I could either. In like, 6th grade it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard, then I heard their debut and never looked back. From there, I went on to listen to bands such as My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, Circle Takes the Square (still an awesome band), and Sleeping With Sirens in what I thought was cool at the time.

You don't understand how glad I am I'm past that stage.

But I like MCR and Avenged Sevenfold...

If we're talking about when we got into certain music...basically the only band I listened to until I was like 14 was Rush. My dad introduced them to me when I was a kid and they have been my favorite band ever since. When I was 14/15 my friend introduced me to MCR and Disturbed and I got really into both of them. And then when I was 16, I got into Avenged Sevenfold, I mainly liked their first three albums. After I graduated high school, that's when I started getting into a lot more bands.

Edited by Champion RD92

But I like MCR and Avenged Sevenfold...

OPINIONS

Joking, of course. I still like MCR's 1st and 3rd albums (Actually listened to their debut earlier today). And A7x... eh, I don't hate 'em

I like the part where I went from This or the Apocalypse to Maroon 5 somehow.

A little non-metal in the metal thread is always good, right? Especially when I get to show you my true level of pleb, right?

Re-discovered Gorefest recently. I'll get around to listening to some more of their work soon, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBpWqIUMPY

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Unlike a lot of people, my parents didn't introduce me to music. My dad likes music a lot but he's not into anything I like. (He likes Latin pop shit.) I relied on the internet and this friend I had in middle school. I got into grunge pretty early on, and then first wave black metal and melodic death metal. Children of Bodom and At the Gates were two of the first bands that I liked.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

(edited)

Intro to metal, huh? When I started getting into music, and my sister had a vast music collection. The first two bands I really latched onto were Nine Inch Nails and Tool. Pretty standard stuff really, although my music tastes didn't really evolve until after high school. I did have one friend in high school was really into metal, so that was really the start of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh98c5BZqiQ

Apparently I didn't even notice that Sober video posted by Crispy up there.

Edited by Jinkasu
  • Brohoof 1

Nine inch Nails? You mean like the Broken EP? It's pretty heavy, and my personal favorite Nine Inch Nails album.

I got into them with Broken, Pretty Hate Machine, and The Downward Spiral. Broken was probably my favorite album from them. I just wish I got into better music in high school, I feel bad for having my tastes in music back then.

Maroon 5

Maroon 5??? ._.

Hey since we're posting non-metal on here, I'd thought I'd make a good contribution.

For a non-metal band these guys are pretty heavy, with all that distortion.

I feel bad for having my tastes in music back then.

That's nothing, when I was small I used to like Green Day, The Offspring and Fall Out Boy. I had such a shitty taste back then.

That's nothing, when I was small I used to like Green Day

Green Day was my favorite band at one point, and that phase lasted quite awhile too. The Offspring were in there too somewhere, but their earlier stuff wasn't bad. More Nine Inch Nails, just because.

Green Day was my favorite band at one point, and that phase lasted quite awhile too. The Offspring were in there too somewhere, but their earlier stuff wasn't bad.

I used to be into pop-punk. Then I discovered grunge and realized how much better grunge is.

Anyways I don't want this thread to end up derailing.

I know this may sound crazy, but it took me a long time to get into death metal.

So continuing on with my story... (which no one cares about lol)

I got into Metallica when I was 17, which was a few years back, and around the same time I also got into Slipknot and Atreyu. I also got into Rage Against the Machine at this point I believe, although I had always really liked the song "Wake Up" off their debut album. I also got into System of a Down at this time. Last year, I really got into Megadeth and Trivium and later that year I started getting into Dream Theater. Starting in late 2012 is when I really went crazy and starting buying a lot more albums than I had before. In early 2013, I got into BTBAM, Periphery, In Flames, Rise Against, Lamb of God, and most recently, Coheed and Cambria. Unlike most people it seems like, I never stopped listening to bands I was into earlier in my life. I still listen to A7X, Disturbed, and MCR, and Rush is still my favorite band of all time. So yeah, that just about sums it up.

• Brohoof 1

A little non-metal in the metal thread is always good, right? Especially when I get to show you my true level of pleb, right?

I love non-metal in the thread!  I think NNL and I filled three pages of non-metal one night.

I've been chilling to a lot of Anamanaguchi lately.  I absolutely love what they've done with the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sD01Y31KQ

Unlike most people it seems like, I never stopped listening to bands I was into earlier in my life.

Did you mean my entire posting history?

Because no one wants to listen to Madball, Coheed, Black Flag, Halen (not Haggar), Angel Crew, or any of that.  

• Brohoof 1

I got into Metallica when I was 17

17??? blink.png ohmy.png I got into Metallica and Megadeth when I was 13. Around that time was also the first ever time I listened to Reign in Blood in it's entierity. I also remember getting my guitar for my birthday at that timeimg-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png 

In Flames
I actually discovered At the Gates before In Flames. I didn't start listening to In Flames until much later.

Lamb of God

I never liked Lamb of God.

Okay so I'll continue my story. This may sound wierd, but I got into black metal before thrash and death. I was listening to Mayhem and Burzum plenty, and I had NO IDEA who Overkill, Kreator, Sodom, etc. where. I'm serious, I was such a weirdo back then.blush.png  

Did you mean my entire posting history?

Because no one wants to listen to Madball, Coheed, Black Flag, Halen (not Haggar), Angel Crew, or any of that.  

Sorry, but I seriously have no idea what you are asking me or what you are trying to say. Maybe I'm just really tired right now lol. Do you mind explaining cause I'm confused sorry lol

(edited)

Sorry, but I seriously have no idea what you are asking me or what you are trying to say. Maybe I'm just really tired right now lol. Do you mind explaining cause I'm confused sorry lol

You said "People never stopped listening to what they used to listen to."  And that's nearly all I do, considering a lot of the bands I post don't make albums anymore.  Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Crispy

(edited)

I love non-metal in the thread!  I think NNL and I filled three pages of non-metal one night.

I've been chilling to a lot of Anamanaguchi lately.  I absolutely love what they've done with the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sD01Y31KQ

That album did not disappoint at all. They may have strayed from their original sound on Power Supply which I really liked, but damn I can get used to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJqBlHyDj5E

Yeah metal.

Rhodolite_in_Matrix-Garnet_Group_Magnesi

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

You said "People never stopped listening to what they used to listen to."  And that's nearly all I do, considering a lot of the bands I post don't make albums anymore.  Sorry for the confusion.

I said that it seems like most people in here don't listen to the bands they used to listen to anymore, like their tastes changed and now they hate what they used to like. And I was saying that I still love the bands that I used to love several years ago. 

• Brohoof 1

I said that it seems like most people in here don't listen to the bands they used to listen to anymore, like their tastes changed and now they hate what they used to like. And I was saying that I still love the bands that I used to love several years ago. 

Well, it's sort of understandable.

Consider this.  I used to like Hanson.  I was in fourth grade.

Would it be safe to say I've moved past that interest? :D