Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why were there 35 candles on Rainbows Birthday cake?

paradoxical

In Pinkie Pride, we see a cake with 21 candles in front and (if it looks the same in the back) the cake hides 14 more.

A: She's 35 years old

B: They have some other system of counting for candles

C: Pinkie can't count.

D: other.

I highly doubt that Dashie is 35. In most cases I would believe pinkie just got caught up in the moment and overdid the candles, we all know what she is like.

• Brohoof 3

Gosh you guys are against the 35 years old theory.  In it's defense, years could be different in Equestria and ponies could age differently than us, but I will totally agree that she's not a middle aged pony.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, we don't know how old she is.

If ponies can live 200 years, then, 35 years old is very young. So, it could be possible...who knows ?

What matters is not her "raw" age but her relative age compared to her life expectancy.

EDIT : I got that wrong. What matters is her raw age (which is what we are talking about here) and not her relative age.

EDIT 2  : I think I was right, the first time around. The bottom line is, she could be 35 years old which would be equivalent to a much lower human age. For example, a 35 years old human is equivalent to a 4 years old dog.

Edited by boiteporte

(edited)

We all know that Pinkie would NEVER go overboard and overdo things! Look how she restrained herself and only made just enough rock candy for her sister's visit. Seriously though. Experienced party planners like Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich would have put all the candles on the side of the cake facing the spectators. Either that, or the cake would have been on a turntable to display all sides.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 3

Well, like someone else said, the years in Equestria may be different so, RD may actually be 35 years old but ultimately younger. I mean, in Equestria Girls, the girls are High School age so, it could be that 35 in pony years is only 17 or 18 in human years.

Well, we don't know how old she is.

If ponies can live 200 years, then, 35 years old is very young. So, it could be possible...who knows ?

What matters is not her "raw" age but her relative age compared to her life expectancy.

EDIT : I got that wrong. What matters is her raw age (which is what we are talking about here) and not her relative age.

EDIT 2  : I think I was right, the first time around. The bottom line is, she could be 35 years old which would be equivalent to a much lower human age. For example, a 35 years old human is equivalent to a 4 years old dog.

I agree with this, but if I was to give a human-ish age for Rainbow Dash i would have to say 19-20

i am unsure about the ages as if you put there life roles into real life, it could be said that twilight is in uni, rarity is elf employed, pinkie works in a bakery, and aj runs an apple farm. i wouldnt be surprises if they are supposed to be older than everyone thinks. but that is just my opinion.

i am unsure about the ages as if you put there life roles into real life, it could be said that twilight is in uni, rarity is elf employed, pinkie works in a bakery, and aj runs an apple farm. i wouldnt be surprises if they are supposed to be older than everyone thinks. but that is just my opinion.

Sure, but 35 human years seems like it'd be time for somepony other than Rarity to have her biological clock ticking pretty loudly (clearly less than 10 practical years for child bearing years if they tried to have children as soon as the birthday), but I (for one) haven't heard a single tic in the other ponies reactions.

(anypony mentioning Flash Sentry will be ignored as I refuse to listen to any canon from the EG movie)

Guys, pony years and human years are exactly the same, as said by Lauren Faust herself. So teenage years end at 20, and etc...

Rainbow can't be 35 years old, because her behavior (and all of the Mane 6) doesn't comply with the behavior of a 35 year-old woman  nowadays. It makes way more sense if she's actually 21.

Actually, I know plenty of thirty plus year old women who act like the Mane Six. Heck, I know plenty of thirty plus year old people who act like the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Age doesn't equal maturity or personality.

• Brohoof 3

I don't know how many candles there are, but either Pinkie just couldn't help herself and had to go all out on the candles, or she and Cheese couldn't decide who was responsible for getting the candles, so they brought back twice as many as they needed.

Or they just didn't care and saw a big cake. :)

How are you guys missing the most obvious thing here? Remember, the celebration was not just RD's birthday, it was also the anniversary of her moving to Ponyville. The number of candles doesn't reflect her age, it reflects the sum of her age and the number of years she has been living in Ponyville, and Pinkie thought both of these facts were worth celebrating equally. Or she just got a little carried away.

• Brohoof 1

How are you guys missing the most obvious thing here? Remember, the celebration was not just RD's birthday, it was also the anniversary of her moving to Ponyville. The number of candles doesn't reflect her age, it reflects the sum of her age and the number of years she has been living in Ponyville, and Pinkie thought both of these facts were worth celebrating equally. Or she just got a little carried away.

Well if that's true, and its fair to say she's been in Ponyville half her life, wouldn't she then be 17 or so?

Just because there were 35 candles on Rainbow's cake doesn't automatically mean she's 35.

Heck, not everyone does the "your age = the amount of candles on your cake" thing. I'm surprised by how people do think that Rainbow is 35 just because of one scene. -3-