Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

• 1 month later...

Hey feminist friends! I am so sorry I haven't posted here in FOREVER! If you don't know this about me: I am a teacher. And, well, let's just say the school year was hella stressful and I had no time for forum-ing. But now I am BACK and I'm so happy to see there are still feminist-positive ponies here. :D

I'll post something more feminist-oriented later on, but I just wanted to quickly hop back on and say hi! And that I've missed you all! <3

Anyone see any stories or articles that were interesting lately?

• Brohoof 1

I noticed that if you look for feminist videos on YouTube, the top results are almost all anti-feminist.

I know its horrifying. I never understood why people hate someone who is fighting for equality. I have seen some horrendous attacks against feminist and women in general online.

Also my first post in the club :D I'm a feminist! ^-^

(edited)

I prefer to call myself an egalitarian since it seems to be a label that encapsulates allot of my core beliefs, but I'm sure you could certainly fit femenist under the umbrella of egalitarianism.

I'm for equal rights and equal treatment for both genders.

I just don't believe in the theory of intersectionality, the teachings of sex-negative feminism, and I don't believe a patriarchy exists in modern western society.

Now strange enough, under those conditions, some would not even consider me a femenist, and I guess I wouldn't be considered a "third-wave" femenist.

Regardless, I think allot people should be proud of their identity whether it's your gender, race, or sexuality.

I just have one question for the people on here.

What in your opinion classifies someone as a feminist

Edited by Cyber Spartan

What in your opinion classifies someone as a feminist?

sig-4541200.tumblr_nmiu33IuI31u8ntcpo1_5

Personally, I believe if you're for equality of race, gender, and sexuality, you're more than just a feminist.

You're an egalitarian.

That's under my definition of egalitarianism of course.

I see human identity as a whole equally.

The only reason I would ever treat someone differently would be because of their actions, rather than who they are.

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I believe if you're for equality of race, gender, and sexuality, you're more than just a feminist. You're an egalitarian.

This thread gets comments like this pretty often. I can see why people feel this way. However, feminism is a more focused and active sociopolitical movement than egalitarianism. Feminism specifically focuses on extremely wide-spread gender-related issues that primarily affect women and girls, and I believe those issues deserve specific attention instead of getting lumped together with all other forms of discrimination. Sexism is, of course, linked and related to other forms of oppression, but it definitely manifests differently. Similarly, racism, religious discrimination, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, and other forms of discrimination manifest differently than sexism. I feel like we do social justice a disservice when we try to lump all forms of inequality together under the umbrella of "egalitarianism" and act like they are the same thing.

What in your opinion classifies someone as a feminist

Here's a quote I enjoy from my girl T Swizzle (I know she's not everyone's favorite, but she's been an excellent feminist role model lately and I've just been loving it!)

post-27261-0-56197900-1464680959_thumb.png

I would say that is the very basic definition. I would add more to it though. On top of believing that people of all genders deserve equal rights, I believe what makes someone a feminist is their willingness to educate themselves on the sexism that still persists in society and being willing to try to solve those issues. Whether it's by spreading awareness, starting conversations, writing blogs, donating money, taking gender studies classes, volunteering time, voting for feminist political candidates, etc., true feminists take some sort of action. Feminism is more than a philosophy; it is a movement. It doesn't do any good to say "I'm a feminist!" to yourself and then proceed to sit on your couch alone and never talk about it or do anything about it lol.

• Brohoof 1

On top of believing that people of all genders deserve equal rights, I believe what makes someone a feminist is their willingness to educate themselves on the sexism that still persists in society and being willing to try to solve those issues. Whether it's by spreading awareness, starting conversations, writing blogs, donating money, taking gender studies classes, volunteering time, voting for feminist political candidates, etc., true feminists take some sort of action. Feminism is more than a philosophy; it is a movement. It doesn't do any good to say "I'm a feminist!" to yourself and then proceed to sit on your couch alone and never talk about it or do anything about it lol.

I have never taken a gender studies class, but I would like to.  I tried searching for free online classes, and found something pretty cool from M.I.T.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/womens-and-gender-studies/

The new feminist frequency is worth a watch. The title is "Lingerie is not Armor" and it critically discusses how female characters are designed in games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jko06dA_x88

I think my favorite part was how she talked about how it's not necessarily the amount of skin showing that's the issue, but rather the lack of functionality. I like the idea of using female athletes irl to inspire how female characters in action games move and carry out athletic tasks. I also enjoyed the discussion about female sexuality and how it can either be humanizing or objectifying depending on how it's executed.

Other thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just throwing my thoughts out there. Would be a shame if this thread withered out just as I became a member.

One thing worth learning about in general was the idea of the New Soviet Woman. It was alongside the idea of the New Soviet Man and it idolized the superwomen who balanced the responsibilities of being a Soviet citizen, full-time worker, wife and mother, and it went side-by-side with the New Soviet Man's responsibilities of being a Soviet citizen, full-time worker, husband and father. I think it was especially good because it did not prize one idea of a woman (being a career-woman) over another (being a stay at home mother), as I admittedly see sometimes. Both choices in lifestyle were valued equally as they both had great value to them. 

Would be a shame if this thread withered out just as I became a member.

I want to keep the thread going.  But I often cannot think of anything to say.  And when I can, people do not always reply to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...