Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like listening to depressing songs when depressed?

Invincible

All the time, being depressed is pretty much me 80% of the time and I always listen to depressing music when I'm in that state. (I like to make things worse for myself obviously :blush: )

Maybe 20% of the time , if I want to dwell on it. Most of the time I listen to the opposite, something inspirational or moving.

• Brohoof 2

I know what you mean.  I kinda like listening to depressing stuff when I'm depressed as well.  And I tend to listen to happy stuff when I'm already happy.  If I'm in a good mood, I'll listen to A True True Friend or something, but if I'm feeling down, I'll listen to sad stuff.  Doesn't really make sense, I guess.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe 20% of the time , if I want to dwell on it. Most of the time I listen to the opposite, something inspirational or moving.

Interesting. I just sorta like to listen to them to get the depression out of the way as quickly as possible. 

I know what you mean.  I kinda like listening to depressing stuff when I'm depressed as well.  And I tend to listen to happy stuff when I'm already happy.  If I'm in a good mood, I'll listen to A True True Friend or something, but if I'm feeling down, I'll listen to sad stuff.  Doesn't really make sense, I guess.

Actually, this makes sense. I kind of like doing the same. I like positive music when i'm emotionally high because it helps inspire me and moves me along with it. I like negative music when i'm down because it helps me relate to it and gets me out of my lows quicker.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much the time of day and my mood always determine what I listen to. So yes, I do listen to depressed songs if I'm depressed, usually thanks to loneliness. Except I haven't been feeling mentally lonely lately :squee:, so I haven't been listening to sad songs recently.

I feel the same way. But sometimes if you dwell on it too long, you find yourself wanting to shy away from happiness for a long time!

Nah, I prefer listening to happier or motivational songs when I'm depressed, since it makes me feel better. :) If I listen to depressing music, it'll be when I'm feeling "in the middle" and neither happy nor sad.

i am usually not very depressed for that long.

i can build myself up pretty easily.

while i dont listen to depressive songs when i depressed, said songs can actually make me depressed.

well not really " depressed",but i get into the mood of overthinking everything and starting to see everyone as a douchebag,which often leads to an aprupt awakening and a call back to reality.

I don't know why I do this but once every now and then I listen to sad songs, read sad stories and cry.

None of that music about suicide or self harm thats a route I'm trying not to go down.

Don't know why but I'm fine afterwards

Is there something wrong with me??? :blink:

(edited)

If I'm depressed or in a bad mood I listen to Pinkie's Smile song, or Smile remix by Foozogz. The fast beat in the Foozogz's remix just cheers me up. I really don't know for other songs, because I was depressed right around the time I became a brony and this was the only song I had. But I'm usually not depressed so don't take my word on it.

Edited by Rainbow Speedy Dash

(edited)

i only skip depressing songs when im on a really good mood, but its mostly just like casual listen, like all songs, doesnt exactly change my mood much.

when im depressed i barely listen to music.

then again depressing songs are sometimes one of my favorite for the emotions they confer to the listener.

Delusional_Thomas.jpg

thats why i really like this album, its so depressing and emotional.

Edited by twistedmetalero

(edited)

People tend to listen to music that compliments their current mood, when I'm upset, I listen to a sad song, when I'm angry, I listen to something aggressive, when I'm feeling relaxed, I listen to something calm.

There is some legitimate science behind it, and rather than attempting to explain it myself, I'll just leave these here.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/why-we-cant-help-love-sad-songs

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2013/07/why-do-people-like-listening-to-sad.html

Edited by Omega Centauri
  • Brohoof 2

People tend to listen to music that compliments their current mood, when I'm upset, I listen to a sad song, when I'm angry, I listen to something aggressive, when I'm feeling relaxed, I listen to something calm.

There is some legitimate science behind it, and rather than attempting to explain it myself, I'll just leave these here.

It's the same for me. I've noticed just a few months ago that my taste in music fluctuates based on my mood.

Yes, like almost all the time frankly, I know it doesn't really tend to help much, but for some reason I just like to torture myself with depressing music while being depressed, sometimes I think it is to incite pity from others, or to try and make myself cry or something (I don't cry much, so I get a lot of emotions built up sometimes.) of course that doesn't usually work and I usually just get more depressed.

But for some reason I still tend to do it. 

Then again my mood is also pretty jumpy sometimes, so I could be listening to super cheery music the next moment lol.